Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Blondie302
WOE: LC - 20 grams per day
Vitamin K overload from green veggies, blood is too thin

So, while shaving my legs I had a tiny little nick in my skin. I bled for a good 20 mins, it was just running down my leg and dripping on the floor. I knew something wasn't right.

Long story short, I am on a vitamin K overload due to eating nothing but meat and green veggies (green veggies have vitamin k). My doc, who has always been supportive of my lc diet now tells me I need to add in other foods. Just a little something different until this levels off.

I did as was told and have put on 8lbs in a week. Im just distraught. I post in the Century Clubs daily weigh in thread and havent been there in a week or more. I dont know what to do.

My diet was literally meat, green leafy veggies, occasional eggs and cheese. I dont eat fruit at all. If I cut out the green veggies to reduce the vitamin K which thins the blood, then Im left with nothing but meat really and I think that will make me cave.

Anyone else have this happen to them?
Blondie302 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BitsyMay
How did you change your diet in the week that you gained 8lbs? Did you add in foods that are high in sodium? I've dropped 5.5 lbs in two days by drastically cutting sodium so it makes sense that you could gain at least that much if you add in an unusual amount. Deli meats are typically full of sodium. How about switching to non green veggies for a little while? Summer squash?
BitsyMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
There are plenty of LC vegies low/nil in V-K.

You need to google up a list.

What did your level show on the labs your doc took? Just curious....
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
From what I can understand, an excess amount of vit k does the opposite of thinning blood. It appears to have the affect of forming blood clots.

Quote:
Blood clot formation, or thrombosis, is a symptom of vitamin K toxicity. Since vitamin K helps to form clots that protect from profuse bleeding, too much of it could cause excessive clotting. Blood thinners---anticoagulants---are often prescribed for people who are at risk for clots. People taking these medicines must watch their intake of vitamin K, as it could interfere with their medication's ability to work properly. Thrombosis is considered a medical emergency. A blood clot in a leg for example, can break off and travel to the lungs, heart or brain and cause severe injury or death.
And from another source....
Quote:
Several forms of vitamin K are used around the world as medicine. But in the U.S., the only form available is vitamin K1 (phytonadione). Vitamin K1 is generally the preferred form of vitamin K because it is less toxic, works faster, is stronger, and works better for certain conditions.

In the body, vitamin K plays a major role in blood clotting. So it is used to reverse the effects of “blood thinning” medications when too much is given; to prevent clotting problems in newborns who don’t have enough vitamin K; and to treat bleeding caused by medications including salicylates, sulfonamides, quinine, quinidine, or antibiotics. Vitamin K is also given to treat and prevent vitamin K deficiency, a condition in which the body doesn’t have enough vitamin K. It is also used to prevent and treat weak bones (osteoporosis) and relieve itching that often accompanies a liver disease called biliary cirrhosis.

People apply vitamin K to the skin to remove spider veins, bruises, scars, stretch marks, and burns. It is also used topically to treat rosacea, a skin condition that causes redness and pimples on the face. After surgery, vitamin K is used to speed up skin healing and reduce bruising and swelling.

Healthcare providers also give vitamin K by injection to treat clotting problems.

An increased understanding of the role of vitamin K in the body beyond blood clotting led some researchers to suggest that the recommended amounts for dietary intake of vitamin K be increased. In 2001, the National Institute of Medicine Food and Nutrition Board increased their recommended amounts of vitamin K slightly, but refused to make larger increases. They explained there wasn’t enough scientific evidence to make larger increases in the recommended amount of vitamin K.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Clackley is exactly right. V-K is given to control bleeding in those who are taking thinners or have bleeding disorders.

I don't know exactly what the doc said but maybe you misunderstood.

Probably you just cut a more vascular spot.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vanessa120
Stats: 189/130 size 2-4 5'4"
WOE: Low Carb Real Food
Start Date: Low Carb Since 2001
Did you have blood work done that indicated this or was it speculation? Are you on any meds?
Vanessa120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: steady
Stats: 110/95 5'2
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
From what I can understand, an excess amount of vit k does the opposite of thinning blood. It appears to have the affect of forming blood clots.
That is what I was thought too. Did your doc attribute it to Vitamin K deficiency, you mean? I think it good advice to diversify the plant foods one does eat atleast a little. What greens do you eat? Do you take fish oil or eat loads of omega rich fishes, like salmon?

I had the same problem (a little nick would not clot), I was taking too much fish oil.
steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Do you take warfarin/coumadin or a lot of aspirin?
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
When my friend was on warfarin, they told her to avoid too many veggies with Vitamin K unless her body had been used to them..Just don't overdo. I assumed it was because it thinned the blood even more than warfarin..
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Carolyn, it is because the V-K would interfere w the thinning process from the coumadin.

The initial blood test gives them an idea of how much coumadin to start.
If the vitamin K rich vegies in the diet are not somewhat steady, the clotting will also fluctuate which is not the desired effect.

Vitamin K is given if the INR shows the blood is too thin which could result in hemorrhage.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #11
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Yep, yep, yep. I've never in my life heard what your doc told you.

Did he do a PT/PTT to look at clotting times, etc? Did he do a CBC with platelet counts? What test did he do to dx "Vit K Overload"?

I can tell you, if you cut your shin, especially with a razor, you bleed like a stuck pig and it goes on forever! It's pretty normal, actually, cuz of all the capillaries.

But don't listen to me, I don't even play a doctor on tv!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:09 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brandywine12
Stats: 195/160-155
WOE: Atkins 100%
Start Date: 1-4-11
OMG! My hubby is on blood thinners and he CAN NOT have any vit k foods. I was told it thickens the blood.!
If you are using fish oil or are on statins it will cause thinning of the blood , which in turn causes bruising and bleeding excessively.

Last edited by brandywine12; 07-13-2012 at 04:11 AM..
brandywine12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:18 AM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
check out ATKINS Induction veggie list.

there are many non-green veggies on that list. just watch the portion sizes. i never had that experience in my life. I am the poster troll for red meat. but I do rotate the crops, so to speak, with other protein/fat sources. All cow and no fowl or fish makes FF a dull troll. We do not really need more than 2 gr sodium daily. So, unless you are doing very physical work in the hot sun all week, I would mind the sodium content. No need to eliminate it, just cut it down. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Even if you misunderstood your doctor's reason for suggestion you eat veggies other than just greens, it's a good idea to eat a wide variety of veggies (I love greens too and could eat only them).

Here are low starch veggies. You do need to eat small portions of the sweeter veggies (ie, onions, carrots, rutabegas).

Sprouts (bean, alfalfa, etc.)
Greens – lettuce, spinach, chard, collards, mustard greens, kale, endive
Herbs - parsley, cilantro, basil, rosemary, thyme, etc.
Bok Choy
Bamboo Shoots
Celery
Radishes
Sea Vegetables (Nori, etc)
Mushrooms
Cabbage (or sauerkraut)
Jicama
Avocado
Asparagus
Okra
Cucumbers (or pickles without added sugars)
Green Beans and Wax Beans
Fennel
Cauliflower
Broccoli
Peppers
Green Bell Peppers
Red Bell Peppers
Jalapeno Peppers
Summer Squash
Zuchinni
Brussels Sprouts
Scallions or green onions
Snow Peas/Snap Peas/Pea Pods
Tomatoes
Eggplant
Tomatillos
Artichokes
Turnips
Pumpkin
Rutabagas
Spaghetti Squash
Celery Root (Celeriac)
Carrots
Onions
Leeks
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: itzme91
Stats: 198/138/125
WOE: just watching my carbs
hmmm,I take very high doses of coumadin 21 mg .right now daily.the only time I have problems is when i take antibiotics and it gets too thin,the Dr then has to give me shots of vitamin K to thcken it back up.I have a blood disorder.
itzme91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Blondie302
WOE: LC - 20 grams per day
Omg. I haven't been here in a few days but I'm glad I came back. After a follow up, I must say that yes, yes, yes, I totally misunderstood the doc. I am so ashamed I didnt come back here and post!

You are all correct, Vitamin K does help clot the blood and in my moment of desperation I guess I totally heard him wrong. Evidently I need to eat more of the green veggies. They did do a blood test and what is actually going on is that I'm severely anemic and have a vitamin deficiency, and somehow (not sure how exactly) that plays into the thin blood from what I understand.

I don't know how I got all that so screwed around in my head that day. I feel kind of silly now. Thank you all for your responses though. I wish I had came back and read them sooner, maybe I wouldnt have been so stressed lol
Blondie302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Randi
Stats: hhcg:211.5/166.5/145 Atkins: 173/168.5/145
Start Date: hhcg 10/27/12 - Atkins: 6/10/13
Vitamin K aids in blood clotting factors. The others are correct.
Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabby1
Stats: 220/192/170 5'9" 47yo
WOE: Gentle Low Carb
Start Date: 6/22/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie302 View Post
Omg. I haven't been here in a few days but I'm glad I came back. After a follow up, I must say that yes, yes, yes, I totally misunderstood the doc. I am so ashamed I didnt come back here and post!

You are all correct, Vitamin K does help clot the blood and in my moment of desperation I guess I totally heard him wrong. Evidently I need to eat more of the green veggies. They did do a blood test and what is actually going on is that I'm severely anemic and have a vitamin deficiency, and somehow (not sure how exactly) that plays into the thin blood from what I understand.

I don't know how I got all that so screwed around in my head that day. I feel kind of silly now. Thank you all for your responses though. I wish I had came back and read them sooner, maybe I wouldnt have been so stressed lol
Well, eating more red meat and increasing the variety of plants in your diet will undoubtedly help a deficiency anemia- no matter what type you have!
Gabby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rosep
Low Carb Diets and Vitamin K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie302 View Post
So, while shaving my legs I had a tiny little nick in my skin. I bled for a good 20 mins, it was just running down my leg and dripping on the floor. I knew something wasn't right.

Long story short, I am on a vitamin K overload due to eating nothing but meat and green veggies (green veggies have vitamin k). My doc, who has always been supportive of my lc diet now tells me I need to add in other foods. Just a little something different until this levels off.

I did as was told and have put on 8lbs in a week. Im just distraught. I post in the Century Clubs daily weigh in thread and havent been there in a week or more. I dont know what to do.

My diet was literally meat, green leafy veggies, occasional eggs and cheese. I dont eat fruit at all. If I cut out the green veggies to reduce the vitamin K which thins the blood, then Im left with nothing but meat really and I think that will make me cave.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

i did until I figured out that I had to eat 4 - 5 times a day to keep my metabolism up and working to burn fat and keep hormonesa nd blood sugar balanced. Each time you eat something, (every 3 - 4 hours) include something rich in protein, doesn't have to be always cooked meat. Explore other protein foods. LOOk into what to pair with the protein for best health result and lose or maintain weight. Another trick that is really key - Eat protein within 1 hour of rising in the morning.
No more weight gain!

Rosep
rosep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:16 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: FitnessWanabee
Stats: unfit/getting there/stud
WOE: Moderate everything
Start Date: Restart August 2012
My philosophy(other then minimize carbs & sugar) is to vary meats, cheese and veggies. There are loads of non-green leafy veggies like squash, cauliflower, root vegetables(onions, garlic, radishes). Vary it up!
FitnessWanabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:35 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yellobrix
Stats: 199/175/150
WOE: Tweaking & Discovering
Start Date: Over & Over... 'Til I Get It Right!
Vitamin K was named by a German, and in German, the word is "klot" - and it is indeed the vitamin necessary for you to bleed slower, not faster. If you're bleeding too fast, then having too little K might be the problem.

You can take a vitamin K-2 supplement, but you can't typically find it at the grocery store, so shop a good health food store instead. Also, K is generated in the intestines by the friendly bacteria that live there. Feeding the bacteria with a prebiotic such as inulin fiber can help, as can a multi-strain probiotic supplement.

Vitamin K levels can be wiped out by regular use of aspirin as well as taking statin drugs. Anyone who supplements with vitamin D should also supplement with K-2.

HTH!
Yellobrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:43 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pitlin
Gouda cheese is a good source of K-2, I think, I always eat a piece with my D supplement.
pitlin is offline   Reply With Quote