Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 05:13 AM   #31
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Melrose
WOE: Atkins Again
Start Date: Restarting: 11.11.13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicsmom View Post
I've been having trouble with my voice for about a year, along with a wicked cough. I attributed both to asthma. Asthma was playing a big part in it, but I also had GERD. They have me taking Prevacid, and it's working like a charm. I haven't needed a Tums since I started on it. They've finally gotten me on an asthma med that I can tolerate. It's not as affective as the others they tried (Advair and Symbicort), but the others gave me thrush, and that took my voice away too. It's been quite a journey.
Teri, I am glad to hear that you have something working for your asthma. I wonder if you also have LPR/silent reflux too since you have a cough?
Melrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2012, 05:21 AM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micksgonepb View Post
Barbara I can't wrap my head around it either since for mot people acid = heartburn. Not so for this at all!

Margaret thank for all the great info. I must say you are way more informative than the ENT! I'm also sorry to hear it took you so long to find out what the real problem was. The ENT pretty much just gave med to take twice a day with out much other instructions besides come back if it doesnt clear and you'll need an acid test.

I see caffeine is on the list but not necessarily coffee. Does that mean decaff is ok? I didnt have my coffee yesterday and had a migraine that got worse all day. Still had it this morning. It dawned on me it was likely the coffee missing so I had 1/2 a cup with half water. Headache was shortly gone. I'll just keep tapering off.

I had been using the ACV is salads and taking a drink of it every morning because it seems to help with water retention. I just love tart and sour things like vinegar and lemon. I'm surprised some people use it for acid problems. I thought it was quite acidic. I notice my throat is a bit less sore today so I'll keep the vinegar out of my diet for a while and see.

Magicsmom, I'm glad it is working like a charm for you! That is fabulous!

I wonder how big of a factor weight plays. I hope it is a big one because I do not want to take med forever or never have a tomato!
Michelle, I have gotten a good book regarding LPR called Dropping Acid by Dr. Jamie Kauffman/Kaufmmann (spelling) and while a lot of what Margaret posted is in it along with some acid reduced/eliminated type recipes.

Regarding caffeine and even decaff, from what I have read, anything we put in our mouths starts the digestive process and starts acid burning. The only drink that does not is water. In this book, the only tea acceptable is chamomile which I personally hate, loathe, and despise

And also I don't believe you should be having vinegar. But, with all that I have read, each person is different and what may trigger me, you, or Margaret, maybe completely different.

I was trying to describe what I have to someone and thought it was best to describe LPR as a reactionary disease. We do not have symptoms per se but we react to things. And that to me is the hardest to understand.

So, I am on day 2 of laryngitis again, I had one blessed week of my voice back after 5 weeks and now back to this and feeling swollen in the throat. If I sleep on any more pillows -- I am already on an 8" acid reflux pillow and then 2-3 regular pillows -- I may as well sleep upright. Oh well, I could be worse.

Have a wonderful day my fellow LPRs!

10.18.13: 214 lbs
10.14.13: 218 lbs
Facebook
Old 05-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi Barbara..

Just got back from the the LC Cruise where Dr. William Davis spoke on how horrible
wheat is for our bodies..Have you read Wheat Belly?

Wheat can be the source of many diseases that we get..GERD, asthma, arthritis, etc..the list goes on and on.

One man said he had bad GERD, got off wheat completely and the GERD was gone in 3 days..Cheated once and it came back until he eliminated it from his diet.
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:30 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mick6
Barbara I believe you are 100% right about the vinegar! I havent had any and my throat is a bit less sore. I'm still weaning the coffee. Today I had 1/4 cup.

I'm so sorry to hear your voice is gone again!

Carolyn how fun you got to go on the lC Cruise! Wheat Belly is great book! I have been of wheat for a long while. However my friend suffers from fibro. Guess what they took her off of.......................YEP WHEAT! It made a big difference!
Mick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:18 AM   #35
Blabbermouth!!!

Carolyn,

You will have to tell us more details of your cruise -- were there any LCF people there?

Regarding wheat and the book, I have not read it but maybe I need to read it. Ironically enough, the book I have on reflux states how oatmeal is wonderful for reflux and I have been eating it alot.

I made an appointment with a gastroenterologist for this Friday. I want to be sure that I don't have any damage in the esophagus from this and see what he says for a diet and get an endoscopy scheduled.

Thank you for the information.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:19 AM   #36
Blabbermouth!!!

Michelle,

Glad to hear the stopping ACV is helping you. I am still drinking 2 cups of tea a day and 1-2 non caff tea a day, but know that I have to stop it. I dread it, I already feel less awake and can only imagine how I will be without any!
Old 05-15-2012, 06:23 AM   #37
Committed to Succeed

Gallery: Magicsmom
Stats: 282/182/140
WOE: Low carb/portion control
Start Date: Re-re-restarted 7/16/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose View Post
Teri, I am glad to hear that you have something working for your asthma. I wonder if you also have LPR/silent reflux too since you have a cough?
Actually, the cough was from out of control asthma. It's much better now that I'm on an asthma medication. I'm on Qvar, which doesn't work quite as well as Symbicort or Advair, but I couldn't tolerate the side effects from those.
Magicsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #38
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose View Post
Carolyn,

You will have to tell us more details of your cruise -- were there any LCF people there?

Regarding wheat and the book, I have not read it but maybe I need to read it. Ironically enough, the book I have on reflux states how oatmeal is wonderful for reflux and I have been eating it alot.

I made an appointment with a gastroenterologist for this Friday. I want to be sure that I don't have any damage in the esophagus from this and see what he says for a diet and get an endoscopy scheduled.

Thank you for the information.
I saw Linda Sue at the dinner..Kent/Vanessa/Georgene were the regular LCF posters..Most of them came from Jimmy's group or other sites.

Wheat Belly is an excellent book and a big wakeup call as the way the breeders have "changed" wheat it is almost toxic to the body. So sad..
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I'm late to this party, but I'm going to bring up something nobody else has that is a big cause of LPR that goes undetected many times, and that's sleep apnea.

You can imagine how it causes LPR by tightening your throat muscles and then trying to suck in air--the closed airway causes a suctioning effect that pulls stomach acids up into the upper airway.

You may have sleep apnea and be totally unaware that it is happening because you are--well--asleep when it occurs. Sometimes it only happens in the very deepest stages of sleep. Only a sleep study can rule it out. Now your ENT (or was it a GI doctor?) did not bring it up, and may poo poo the idea. Often when a patient doesn't fit the profile (overweight, middle aged male with a thick neck) the doctors never think of it, but there are many people with apnea who don't fit that profile. It is not necessary to snore to have sleep apnea either. You may have to push your health care providers to get them to send you for a sleep test. But don't give up--this is a SERIOUS issue that can lead to serious long term health problems.

Especially since it seems to be recurring despite the medications you are on and the diet you're following, it's worth getting tested for sleep apnea. If it turns out to be negative you'll be thrilled, and if it turns out that you do have sleep apnea, proper treatment can make a world of difference for you.

Other triggers of LPR have already been mentioned, the fact that you had so much mucous makes me think that you may have some form of reactive airway disease (asthma)--it's worth getting that checked out as well.

Personally, I did not find the usual foods triggered my LPR and GERD. Carbs are the main issue for me, and dairy products are the worst. I cannot have them in the evening. OTOH, alcohol, chocolate, spicy foods are no problem at all. Low carbing has made a world of difference, UNLESS I have something with dairy (cheese or cream) too late in the day. But the bottom line was sleep apnea.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kat819
Stats: 263/227/163 5'9"
WOE: PaNu/very low carb
Start Date: 1st time 9/2003, third time's the charm 5/13/2010
I'd go to a GI and have endoscopy and an impedance (pH) probe IIWY. You could have a hiatal hernia. PPI is not a real solution, in terms of long term sustainability. It will increase your chances of getting stomach cancer.
kat819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:34 AM   #41
Blabbermouth!!!

Jankinz,

Thank you for that. My primary care doctor suggested a couple of years ago to get a sleep study as I go to be tired and wake up exhausted. I just have never done it.

The ENT did not suggest sleep apnea. But the book I am reading on LPR does mention it.

What symptoms do you get when you eat something you should not?
Old 05-17-2012, 05:35 AM   #42
Blabbermouth!!!

Kat,

I have an appointment with a gastroenterologist tomorrow and will ask for an endoscopy. My primary care doc last month (I had gone to him when I wasn't feeling well and it turned out it was a reaction to the prednisone I was given) suggested that I have a scope to make sure there isn't any damage further down (that the ENT would not be seeing or dealing with since he is ear, nose, throat only).

Thanks to everyone for posting.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #43
Blabbermouth!!!

I saw the gastroenterologist today and he does not think I have silent reflux. He will do an endoscope (along with my colonoscopy since I will be sedated and need my baseline) but says that 98% of the ENTs say people have reflux when they do not.

He said not to worry about what I eat, not worry about sleeping on my new $65 wedge bed pillow that I bought etc. He did say that what I have been eating (oatmeal, bananas, chicken, and rice) would be good if I had reflux.

So, no closer to anything. I do call the ENT on Monday (I call or see him every Monday and this Monday it is a call).

He did suggest that I contact my primary care and get off Lisinipril which I take for high blood pressure because a cough can be associated with it, but I have been on this for years and the cough lately is different. He listened to my lungs and said no wheezing. Of course not, because everything that is an issue is between my jaw and my shoulders -- in my throat.

Well, the scopes are scheduled for May 29th.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

I have "not so silent" GERD and LPR--I wake up choking on my stomach juices and once or twice I felt like I was drowning--did not think I was going to live!

BUT, there are people with silent LPR and GERD, no matter what your gastroenterologist says. And it can be caused by sleep apnea, but ENT's and GI docs don't make the connection. So please ask your primary physician for a referral for a sleep lab test. It's better to rule it out than suffer the many consequences of untreated sleep apnea.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mick6
That is ironic you mention a sleep study. I have a horrible time sleeping and recently my mom mentioned maybe I should go to the dr for it. I have never mentioned not sleeping to a Dr because I do not want to take sleeping pills. Do you have to do a trial of sleeping pills before you can have a sleep study?

I have a body media fit monitor. It tells me exactly how long I sleep at night and shows how many times I wake up. I may have to look into this more!

I am 100% off coffee and tea and taking 1 pill a day. I know I should have went back by now but I am trying the diet modifications. My throat was pretty good Friday until I had Chili. Same with today and got sore after strawberries. I'll keep trying over the next 2 weeks before I go back to the ent.
Mick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #46
Blabbermouth!!!

Michelle, that is wonderful about the caffeine, I still haven't made the complete cut from it. But, now that I am not sure what I have I will wait until after the endoscope on Tuesday.

I know I need a sleep study and have put it off for quite a while but will get it checked out "soon."
Old 05-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
That is ironic you mention a sleep study. I have a horrible time sleeping and recently my mom mentioned maybe I should go to the dr for it. I have never mentioned not sleeping to a Dr because I do not want to take sleeping pills. Do you have to do a trial of sleeping pills before you can have a sleep study?
A sleep study looks more at the quality of sleep more than just insominia issues, so no, you do not have to try sleeping pills first.

While some good sleep clinics can also address issues like insomnia, the study does much more. You are hooked up to wires that measure breathing, oxygenation, blood pressure, pulse, brainwaves, and much more. From this they can learn many things.

It may be that your sleeping issues are something that sleeping pills can treat, but more often people wake because of some form of sleep apnea (breathing stops while you are sleeping for anywhere from 10 seconds to several (!) minutes), which sets up an adrenalin rush in your body trying to get you breathing again. When you wake up from this or come to a lighter stage of sleep, you may find it hard to get back into that deep, restorative sleep. Sleep studies also diagnose things like sleep disordered breathing (odd breathing patterns during sleep), restless leg syndrome, periodic limb movement disiorders, night time seizures, etc.

If your doctor recommended a sleep study, it's a good idea to follow through.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:29 AM   #48
Blabbermouth!!!

Janknitz,

This is a silly question but does the sleep study last all night? I am assuming it does and have put it off because I have my daughter and did not feel comfortable leaving her alone at night (and no family close by that she could stay with).

But now that she is older (16) I could have her sleep at a friend's house or she could stay home (whether I would do this I don't know as 16 seems too young but I have 2 dogs that bark at every little noise).
Old 05-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

1. Yes, a sleep study lasts all night.
2. This is going to sound a little harsh, but if it turns out you have sleep apnea you could end up leaving her forever instead of just one night if you leave it untreated. Summer is coming so it should be simple enough to arrange an overnight for her so you can be tested. You need to take care of yourself so you can be there for her.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #50
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh, Janknitz, I understand completely about the need to get it done but thank you for the reminder. That is why I am thankful she is older and yes, school will be over very soon. She has already lost her father so I know the importance of being here for her to the best of my ability.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #51
Blabbermouth!!!

just wanted to update. I had an endocscopy last Tuesday and the gastoenterologist assured me that I do not have reflux, an ulcer, or a hiatal hernia.

I called the ENT to let him know the results and he said that is good. I am to see him next week. I am on day 2 of having a voice.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
So...do they have any idea on why you're losing your voice? Seems odd that it responded to the acid blockers, but the endo says you don't have reflux.

Out of kindness, I have to warn you about the wedge. I bought one two years ago and used it faithfully, and it did help my reflux. Unfortunately, after a while I wound up sliding into a hunched position every night and ended up at the chiropractor with a bad back this spring. So I recommend caution with those things. I think elevating the head of the bed is a better choice - assuming you need any of that (if you don't have reflux, you should be able to lie flat).
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:27 AM   #53
Blabbermouth!!!

MerryKate,

They don't know what is going on. I am going on my 8th day ( I had lost it a day after I posted) of having a voice and have a follow up with the ENT this morning.

Regarding the wedge, I have noticed that I end up sliding off it too! I spent so much money for the darn thing that I hate to not use it, but will probably take it off my bed as I have back issues (long time history of it not just from the pillow) and do not need to aggravate it.

Thank you for posting.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
This is fascinating.
What else have you found out, Barbara?

I have a friend who sings in our choir whose vocal chords are atrophying. She goes to a specialist but I don't know many specifics except that she did have surgery - both the surgeon and patient pronounced it successful, but she still has trouble with her vocal chords.

Her doc and voice therapist both say not to take any throat lozenges containing menthol.
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:29 AM   #55
Blabbermouth!!!

Judy,

This has been ongoing still. The ENT I had been seeing referred me to another for a 2nd opinion. I saw the new doctor on June 22nd and he said right away LPR/silent reflux. I told him that the endoscopy showed no signs of ulcer, hernia, or reflux and he didn't seem too concerned with that.

He scoped me again (flex optic tube up nose down throat) and had a monitor there for me to see (he was nice, he even numbed my nose and the first doctor never did that). Anyway, he said that the vocal cords are perfect but it is the surrounding tissue that is pachydermatous. Very thicken skin which is indicative of reflux.

I also am supposed to go to a speech therapist as I am using muscles incorrectly for talking (by the way, the day after this visit I got my voice back and I have had it more or less since then) and said that was dysphonia and muscle tension component.

I am waiting for the speech therapist to return my call; initially they said my insurance does not cover all of it and I asked them to find out how much it does cover.

So, the new doctor put me on prescription Nexxium and told me to eliminate caffeine, carbonated drinks etc.

I still am puzzled by this whole thing but now 2 out of 3 doctors say it is LPR and I questioned if I keep going to doctors or not? So, I am taking Nexxium and cutting out caffeine ( I am caffeine free on weekends and have 1 cup a day at work and will eventually cut that out).

So, that is my puzzling update and thank you for asking, Judy. I am sorry to hear of your friend. Is she able to sing as she did before?
Old 07-09-2012, 06:41 AM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My friend has been told she should not sing alto, and that she should sing soprano! We in the alto section are not looking forward to her switch. She is dead on and makes us all better. Evidently we are selfish.

I am interested in this for other reasons. I hate admitting this because it is so... stupid.... 3 years ago I decided I should take a baby aspirin every day (I am today 54 yrs old). I'd had many doctors through the years telling me the good effects of anti-inflammatory foods/medicines.

After about 3 months, I had horrible (not silent) reflux. The question was not "how many times per week.?" It was, "How many times per day?" Drinking water gave me reflux. Eating gave me reflux. Not eating gave me reflux. I started myself on omeprazole after exhausting the Zantac. The omeprazole has worked well for me.

Last year, after another kidney stone, my doc suggested lemon juice each day to help dissolve stones before they get big enough to cause a problem. Further evidencing my low IQ, I downed lemon juice like a shot. My esophagus is quite damaged from my own doing.

I have not been able to get off the omeprazole without having trouble swallowing within 2 days. I have started taking coconut oil, eliminated wheat, and am eating low carb. I started taking broccoli sprouts - supposed to help heal the gut. I take a good quality probiotic - hopefully good for the gut. I have taken high-quality fish oil for years. I suppose I could get off coffee...

I feel very well and am hopeful that I might be able to one day start taking an omeprazole every other day, supplementing with Zantac. Then hopefully cycle off all of them.

My friend who had surgery still has voice loss occasionally. Nobody has suggested LPR to her.

Thank you for your answer.
Hope you'll let us know how you progress.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:23 AM   #57
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh, Judy, it sounds awful what you are living with! I hope you are able to get better soon.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hard to feel sorry for myself since I obviously did it to myself!

But honestly I have absolutely no pain and few symptoms (my swallowing is sometimes slow if the substance is dry - vitamins, chicken breast, etc.) But I am hoping to eliminate the omeprazole and Zantac.

Thank you so much!
Old 07-09-2012, 07:33 AM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Have they described your esophageal damage as Barrett's Esophagus?
Old 07-10-2012, 05:25 AM   #60
Blabbermouth!!!

I have no damage to my throat at all. The only thing I get is laryngitis off/on and that is it. Nothing else (except this thickened skin around the cords and the start of the esophagus that showed up on the monitor from the latest scope I had done).

I truly don't think I have silent reflux. How can something come all the way up my throat to thicken the skin there and my esophagus be fine? I don't get it but I am not a doctor. Seems to me that it would do damage on the way up. The ENTs do say the throat is not protected like the esophagus is so maybe that is why.