Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 06:40 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Horsetrainer110
Stats: 189/177/140 then we'll see
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/15/03(then lost 96 lbs) 3/5/12 (now)
Try losing the Splenda

Hi ya'll. I'm an old time low carber.....I lost about 96 lbs years ago and now I'm back because I've gained about 35 back. Anyway....I've noticed so many people using Spenda and I wanted to share my experience with you.

Several years ago when I had lost about 50% of my goal weight, I "stalled" and quit losing. My doctor gave me a printout of a study done on Splenda. Long story short....Splenda actually makes you gain weight. You can google this by the way. So I stopped using Splenda and went back to Equal and low and behold lost about 7 lbs in one week. I lost the rest of my weight pretty fast.....I was at my goal in a couple of months. I stay away from Splenda now...

Anyway....something for you to try and see if it works for you!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annabel Lee
Stats: 278/190/174 for now
WOE: Gary Taubes inspired LC
Start Date: May 24, 2011
Wow, Thats interesting!
Did he tell you why?
I am really nervous to use artificial sweeteners
but I do sometimes.
Annabel Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:52 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
think that's totally a YMMV...well, I actually know it is, for sure.

I can't use aspartame very often (gives me headaches if I use much), and don't like the taste of saccharine sweeteners.

For sodas, I drink nothing but Splenda-sweetened soda...I don't make sweets, and don't put sweetener in my coffee (just cream.) I have seen studies that indicate that artificial sweeteners increase appetite and may lead to weight gain due to eating more, but I'm mindful of that, and tend to drink a glass of water if I'm hungry after drinking my diet soda. (and that tendency to increase appetite is attributed to ALL artificial sweeteners, not just splenda. The mechanism is the artificial sweeteners fool the "sweet" receptors in the brain into thinking that sweet calories are coming...so when the sweet comes without calories, the brain turns on the appetite to get the calories that were supposed to show up with the sweet. That's the easy-to-understand version, anyway. The actual science involves all kinds of signals & chemical reactions etc.)

I've been using splenda all along. Lost 20 lbs. last year (would have lost more, but had a lot of totally off-plan time, unfortunately) Have lost 10 lbs. since my restart 2 weeks ago.

You can find about the same kind of articles on virtually every type of AS: google aspartame (nutrasweet) and weight gain...google saccharin and weight gain...it's all out there.

Here's a couple of references to the theories bouncing around about why all artificial sweeteners may cause weight gain:
This one is about artificial sweeteners in general:
http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-500194_162-2330142.html

This one is specifically about saccharine (sweet & low)

http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...711763,00.html

RE-START date 3/06/2012

-65 lbs. Club for 2012 Re-start! Now at lowest weight in 8 years. Down 75 lbs. from all-time highest weight.

2013 losses= -5

Last edited by catne; 03-19-2012 at 07:05 AM..
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sidhartha
Stats: 240/219/200
WOE: LC/Paleo mostly
Start Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by catne View Post
think that's totally a YMMV...
What's that?
sidhartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm glad Splenda works for you Cathy! I just wanted to share my own experience with others who may be sensitive to Splenda like me. I see you have way more experience lowcarbing than me. You have low carbed 5 times....I just lost 96 lbs once and kept it off for 10 years until this last year, when I went back to eating "real" food. But that's what is so wonderful about this board, and why I came back for inspiration! Everyone has different experiences and their own little tricks to lose, and they are happy to encourage and share with others!
Horsetrainer110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:36 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Thanks for sharing this, Renee! No doubt it's going to help someone out who is sensitive to Splenda. I read something recently that said it can promote hypothydroidism, which I guess would also cause slow loss if that's so.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
Start Date: 2012
Renee - thanks for sharing your experience. I think eventually I will stop using splenda and see what happens, but for now, I'm losing with it. Ultimately my long term goal is to be off all artificial sugar for health purposes.
AsmallerME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsetrainer110 View Post
I'm glad Splenda works for you Cathy! I just wanted to share my own experience with others who may be sensitive to Splenda like me. I see you have way more experience lowcarbing than me. You have low carbed 5 times....I just lost 96 lbs once and kept it off for 10 years until this last year, when I went back to eating "real" food. But that's what is so wonderful about this board, and why I came back for inspiration! Everyone has different experiences and their own little tricks to lose, and they are happy to encourage and share with others!
That so-called "real" food will get us everytime! I have kept it off several times for long stretches but it's way too easy to get lulled back into the "I can have just one of these"...or it's OK to indulge for the holidays (then you soon figure out there's always another holiday right around the corner, so why bother going back to LC for a couple of weeks. ) Carb-creep soons turn to excess poundage.

I do think you're correct with person-specific sensitivity to the various AS forms, that's why I said it's YMMV. Totally agree with you there!

My daughter-in-law absolutely cannot use Splenda: she gets near-migraine headaches from one splenda soda. So for holidays at our house, I have to stock the Splenda diet cokes for me and the regular Nutrasweet(aspartame) diet cokes for her.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:49 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhartha View Post
What's that?
Do you mean YMMV?

That's commonly used in texting and on-line chat boards to mean "Your Mileage May Vary"
Old 03-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catne View Post
That so-called "real" food will get us everytime! I have kept it off several times for long stretches but it's way too easy to get lulled back into the "I can have just one of these"...or it's OK to indulge for the holidays (then you soon figure out there's always another holiday right around the corner, so why bother going back to LC for a couple of weeks. ) Carb-creep soons turn to excess poundage.

I do think you're correct with person-specific sensitivity to the various AS forms, that's why I said it's YMMV. Totally agree with you there!
The interesting thing was is that I started drinking Milo's Splenda Tea...and making my own tea with Splenda, and cakes with Splenda....and before I started low carb 2 weeks ago, and I cut out the Splenda stuff and lost 5 lbs that week. I've lost another 10 lbs in the last two weeks just low carbing. Now....the first 50 lbs I lost years ago I was using Splenda. So I did lose with Splenda, but it just starting MELTING off when I cut it out. And another thing that I think make me gain was a product that everyone on here was crazy for back in 2003 or so...called Fiberfit. A liquid sweetener. Oh we all had to have it! We had a co-op so we could get it. lol. Good stuff as far as taste, but I think it kept me from losing too.
Horsetrainer110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Probably losing the maltodextrin is the biggest issue.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #12
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
Probably losing the maltodextrin is the biggest issue.
What I was thinking.

Stalls (defined as 6 wks with no lbs. or inches lost) happen for reasons that are not obvious. Saying this because it is important to not restrict your woe unnecessarily.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargeGunderson
Stats: 178/130/120
WOE: LC; LG, no wheat, VVLS(ugar)
Start Date: Feb. 1, 2012
Quote:
But that's what is so wonderful about this board, and why I came back for inspiration! Everyone has different experiences and their own little tricks to lose, and they are happy to encourage and share with others!
One of the first things I noticed – and why I signed up within a day rather than lurking for weeks first – is the civility with which everyone treats each other! So nice and refreshing to find a place where people can treat each other with respect even when strongly disagreeing with someone's thoughts and opinions.
MargeGunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kathy623
Stats: Highest 199/150/148
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: January 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by MargeGunderson View Post
One of the first things I noticed – and why I signed up within a day rather than lurking for weeks first – is the civility with which everyone treats each other! So nice and refreshing to find a place where people can treat each other with respect even when strongly disagreeing with someone's thoughts and opinions.
Marge!
That is such a nice compliment for all of us!!! Thank you my dear! That is why most people hang around and if they leave, they usually come back!! (self included) Welcome to LCF and once you start posting and learning, you won't be able to stop!!

Now, about the Splenda--I am going to do my own personal study. I use it in my coffee. I am going to stop it for a week and see what happens. This whole idea has me curious. I have always used it but I am interested to see if I can live without it! Will let you know.

A year from now, you may wish you had started today~Robert Schuller
Kathy623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: purplefaith
Stats: 299/245/130
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: 2004
trivia???

is trivia the best sweetener to use? Our local store has a generic version is it the same thing I do not know?
purplefaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mick6
Stats: 234.4/229.4/140
I can't use splenda personally because it gives me headaches. The only sweetener I do well with is xylitol. I think the others taste bad. I'm going to pass on this info to a friend who is a splenda fiend and been stalled for ages!
Mick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kathy623
Stats: Highest 199/150/148
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: January 2003
Marge-
Almost forgot! Your Avatar pic is hilarious!!! I can't stop laughing!!!!

I still have that problem with doors! LOL
Kathy623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cprcheetah
Stats: 224.6/204.6/130
WOE: Lean For Life/Low Cal
Start Date: LFL 3/4/2014
I can't use Aspartame as I have symptoms of aspartame poisoning (tingling in my fingers etc). I can tell when I eat anything with it as my fingers start tingling. My Dr doesn't like Splenda, he says it causes nerve damage in the long run just like aspartame. He said that aspartame can actually cause MS type symptoms. He told us to use Stevia and/or Agave.
cprcheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:09 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CelticFan
Stats: 140/126.6/118
WOE: JUDDD/1 day diet
Start Date: Feb. 2000
Darn about Splenda. I already had one packet today. Will try to wean my self off of it. Will buy some equal today to see if it works for me....
CelticFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargeGunderson
Stats: 178/130/120
WOE: LC; LG, no wheat, VVLS(ugar)
Start Date: Feb. 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy623 View Post
Marge-
Almost forgot! Your Avatar pic is hilarious!!! I can't stop laughing!!!!

I still have that problem with doors! LOL
Thanks! :^D The Far Side is my favorite, and this is one of the top 10 of it – and yes, I frequently do that, too! With my friends, all the other has to do is say, "Midvale" when one of us gets the oh-so-complex door wrong.

And yes, I am already addicted to this place; you folks ought to have warning labels on the main page!

Last edited by MargeGunderson; 03-20-2012 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: added comment
MargeGunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:28 AM   #21
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/234/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cprcheetah View Post
I can't use Aspartame as I have symptoms of aspartame poisoning (tingling in my fingers etc). I can tell when I eat anything with it as my fingers start tingling. My Dr doesn't like Splenda, he says it causes nerve damage in the long run just like aspartame. He said that aspartame can actually cause MS type symptoms. He told us to use Stevia and/or Agave.
I actually had an MRI for what appeared to be the beginning stages of MS... it was aspartame use... My doctor didn't call it, though. I saw the documentary "Sweet Misery" months afterwards, made the connections, stopped using and got better.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dezi
Stats: 5 foot 11 inches 142lbs BMI 19.9/Goal BMI was 20.6
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: Feb. 1 2012
well I am 3/4 through mine. I havehad it for like 4 months so I don't use it much. maybe 2x a day.

I have stevia but I won't open it till its gone.

Or maybe I could seal up the sucralose bag andswitch until the stevia is gone and test your theory!

only thing is, they both contain the same ingredient to powder them.

But powdered is what is in my budget. The liquids were rediculous. And I don't but single packets of things (equal) because thats too much clean up for me.

Hope stevia is better

Thanks for the heads up. My weight loss has slowed, but I am near maintenance after all, and I am eating all kind of things so I wouldn't know what one thing to single out!

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||.||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

5'11" 38-27.5-38
Dezi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: breadaddict
That is very interesting, OP. I like the taste of Equal but stay away from it because it is aspartame. I do sometimes wonder about the safety of Splenda, since it is still a relatively "new" sweetener. I tried stevia once, but it was sooo bitter! That was years ago, though. Does anyone have a specific brand of stevia that they use that does not have that bitter aftertaste to it? TIA
breadaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #24
something there

For me, in terms of stevia, Sweetleaf brand seems to be the most consistent. I also like Truvia, but I'm dubious about the "natural flavors." It smells like maple syrup...
Old 03-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: breadaddict
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
For me, in terms of stevia, Sweetleaf brand seems to be the most consistent. I also like Truvia, but I'm dubious about the "natural flavors." It smells like maple syrup...
Thanks. Which is less bitter, the liquid or the packets?
breadaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #26
something there

I think the packets of Sweetleaf are less bitter. The liquids are so concentrated, it's easier to accidentally overdo it.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #27
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/161.6/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Quote:
The interesting thing was is that I started drinking Milo's Splenda Tea...and making my own tea with Splenda, and cakes with Splenda....and before I started low carb 2 weeks ago, and I cut out the Splenda stuff and lost 5 lbs that week. I've lost another 10 lbs in the last two weeks just low carbing. Now....the first 50 lbs I lost years ago I was using Splenda. So I did lose with Splenda, but it just starting MELTING off when I cut it out. And another thing that I think make me gain was a product that everyone on here was crazy for back in 2003 or so...called Fiberfit. A liquid sweetener. Oh we all had to have it! We had a co-op so we could get it. lol. Good stuff as far as taste, but I think it kept me from losing too.
Not that any AS is good, but I suspect that the cake made w. bulk splenda is likely your culprit. Whatever the cause for your renewed weight loss, Congrats!! KUTGW!!

I dabble in most of the AS's. I try not to, but still like to live, KWIM? It hasn't made any difference in my losses over the years. Like others have said, YMMV!
julieboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Luca
Stats: 204/159/145
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 7/4/11
I am gonna have t o try this-does equal have carbs?

I am so frustrated and willing to try anything...
Luca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Starmaker
Artificial sweeteners are the devil for me

Hello and thank you to the original poster for posting her story. It brought me back to this site I haven't visited in ages.

I have the very same story. Was experiencing thyroid and MS symptoms. Was not able to lose weight even though my diet consists of 1 to 2 meals a day of JUST protein and vegetables.

I am an old Atkins baby from waaaaaay back (hey Cleo)? Hug you look amazing girl.

And the low carb mentality never left me. But I never did make the connection between my beloved Splenda and the fact that I was gaining weight in middle age. I don't do bread, anything white, or junk food. A little fruit for variety, that's all. Off plan treats are few and far between.

After researching a few sites on the not so gentle urging of a homeopath friend, I found this info:

Google: naturalnews Duke University Study Links Splenda to Weight Gain, Health Problems.
I picked up some green natural stevia (the unprocessed variety) and although it took me a couple days to get used to the earthy flavor, my 1 a day coffee habit with splenda was kicked to the curb.

I spent 5 days on my first experiment. Dropped splenda and all artificial sweeteners. No pop, no gum. Nothing. Just that wee green stevia in my coffee. I lost 5.5 lbs in 5 days.

I almost died from the shock. I never even considered that Splenda could be my problem.

Also worth mentioning, hubby's intestinal condition got much worse in the last 7 years we have used Splenda together. I have been using it since the late 90's, he just 7 years. We never made the connection there either. He has gotten much better since he switched to natural honey granules in his coffee daily and cut the AS.

Always YMMV, and for years it didn't seem to affect me at all. I even lost weight in the Atkins days. But years of use have been showing the damage. I am mad at myself for not figuring this out sooner.

But am happy that the stupid flabby stomach I put on over the years has seen its last days on my middle aged body.

I hope this thread helps someone. Years ago if I would have read info like this and would have pshawwwed the whole thing and moved along happily sipping my splenda coffee. but I feel a responsibility in my more er.... mature years to pass on what I have learned since the good old Atkins days, and bad old ******* days.
Starmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:22 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1sweettea1
Stats: 267/156/130
WOE: ATKINS 72
Start Date: January 2013 after roux en y surgery Jan 2012
I have nothing to add to this but want to say thanks to all for such a wonderful discussion.
1sweettea1 is offline   Reply With Quote