Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LauraAnn
Stats: 271/189/150
WOE: WLS - NoS
Start Date: 02/01/08
Ohhh I have a Splenda story too. Severe insomnia for 3 years that nothing helped, not even sleeping pills. Finally went to a therapist as doc said was depression. I hadn't slept more than 4-5 hours in 3 years. Thank goodness psych believed in food as medicine (or poison). She helped me explore my diet. Long story short, after 5 days of no Splenda was sleeping 7 hrs a night. I will never touch AS again. I has switched to it after aspartame causing neurological issues. So even if you lose with them I still would try to get off them. No telling what the long term damage is. I lost 3 lbs this week without trying. Never made the correlation till now!

Last edited by LauraAnn; 02-23-2013 at 01:59 PM..
LauraAnn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Starmaker
Wow that's interesting. It took me a couple days to get used to the green taste in my natural stevia for my coffee, but I'm fine with it now. Decided that I would ditch the lone coffee each day if I couldn't deal with all that green organic-ness lol

Kind of mad at myself for not figuring out splenda was my problem all along. But hopefully I can undo some of the damage I have done to myself by using that poison all these years.

First thing I noticed before the weight loss was a reduction in stomach bloating. It was like someone popped a hole in my stomach and it just started deflating. Don't know how else to describe it. It was a happy day!
Starmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rotay60
Stats: 142/136.6/110 for now, 4'11 1/2"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Re-start again 7/21/14 135/135.4/110ish
Wow, this is so interesting. I use Splenda and have sleep issues all the time. I keep trying stevia, but haven't found a brand that I like. Sometimes I think about going back to regular sugar??!!! I like both Splenda and equal, maybe I should go back to equal and see If it helps sleeping issues??? Gotta experiment I guess. Thanks again for all the info.
rotay60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:49 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cabrioluvr
Stats: 18/12/6
WOE: Atkins!
Start Date: 03/2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
I actually had an MRI for what appeared to be the beginning stages of MS... it was aspartame use... My doctor didn't call it, though. I saw the documentary "Sweet Misery" months afterwards, made the connections, stopped using and got better.

Aspartame almost killed my husband. Took his heart out of rhythm twice and his arthritis got so bad at one point they considered surgery. Once he stopped using it everything returned to normal. He uses Splenda with no issues but he doesn't need to lose weight either.

Last edited by cabrioluvr; 02-24-2013 at 04:51 AM..
cabrioluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:01 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kateee
Stats: 220/162.2/155 (5'9")
WOE: Atkins Phase 3-4
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotay60 View Post
I keep trying stevia, but haven't found a brand that I like.
Have you tried NuNaturals Pure Liquid Clear Stevia?

Netrition has it
Kateee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:34 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
Hi All,
I'm back & catching up after too long a break. I am very interested in the sweetener issue. I use only Splenda... and most of my liquids are Tea or Lemonaid so sweetened. I'm in the process of not buying/emptying my cupboards of treats so am not quite ready to declare a reset... This really could be a tripper-upper.
I did Google it! Other researchers cast some doubt on the Duke study's validity but no one has stepped forward to do a better one. My inclination is to minimize my Splenda for now & if I get stuck, to do a study of 1. My reaction to it is the only one affecting MY weight.
I thank everyone for your thoughtful contributons to this discussion.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
Hi, I also use NuNaturals liquid stevia and its great. It is pricey but lasts a long time. Most powered stevia's are not as good due to what they are mixed with, however Sweetleaf packets are not bad. I prefer the liquid though.
haferchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Quote:
Probably losing the maltodextrin is the biggest issue.
AGREE! The maltodextrin in those packets adds up and should be counted as SUGAR. A website called wisegeek has done photos of what 200 calories of various foods looks like. This is 200 calories of splenda:

Last edited by Strawberry; 02-24-2013 at 01:56 PM..
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lc-chica
Stats: 164.4/152/140 5'5"
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 4-14-13
Splenda gives me horrible migraines that last for days. And nothing gets rid of them... except getting the splenda out of my system. I used to suffer very badly from migraines, hard to say how long the splenda contributed, or how long it took before it started triggering migraines. But thankfully I haven't used splenda in a couple years, and when I started using it again, it only took me a couple days to figure it out. No triptans, advil, or anything helped. It was horrible. And I don't do aspartame because I read the book "Excitotoxins-The Taste that Kills."

I like stevia, and erythritol.
lc-chica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:12 AM   #40
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Starmaker
It took me a wee bit to get used to the earthy green taste of natural unprocessed stevia in my coffee, but I hardly notice it now. My taste for sweet is out of whack due to the sickeningly sweet splenda. Since cutting it out, an apple tastes so very sweet to me, where I hardly noticed that before.

I continue to drop belly fat very quickly since dropping all artificial sweeteners. I am not complaining.

I have tried liquid stevia and most of the white processed ones. Sweetleaf was the closest I could come to no bitter taste. But articles I found online that mentioned white stevia being a processed product prompted me to look for the natural green powder.

I am tempted to grow a stevia plant next year. A friend of mine just drops a leaf into her tea. lol
Starmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:49 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
Stats: 125/106/105 5'
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
Wow this is a great thread. Thanks for all the posting.

Does anyone have any negative input on stevia? Just wondering. I have hay fever, and seems like I read where stevia was part of the rag weed family. It all leads to migrains for me.

What else is there if you don't do splenda, no equal, no stevia??

tia
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:10 AM   #42
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: k1ttymeow
This is my first post here & all I can say is "WOW! Thank you!" to the OP. I have been struggling with ME/fibro, almost daily migraines, no energy,brain fog & on countless meds & supplements but aso using Splenda throughout the day. I never made the connection at all it could be causing my illnesses! I have stopped using any artificial sweetners now for 6 days & I absolutely feel fantastic! Not as hungry, no headaches, more energy than I ever had as well! You will never know how grateful I am for this post!
k1ttymeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
I don't know if the American weight watchers products are the same but the liquid weight watchers drops in NZ are stevia extract and erythritol(from corn)
They are not much more in price than a box of splenda.Their powered one does have malitol as a filler though.
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:26 AM   #44
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TRISTAR
Stats: 273.8/273.8/139
WOE: Low Carb
I have had no issues with Splenda whatsoever. I only use it in cooking (to take the tanginess out of tomatoes). I have never had any issues with it, and think it's great
TRISTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nancypie11
Stats: 191/172/145
WOE: LCHF/IF, insulin resistant
Start Date: Dec 17th 2012
Also, if you are using products with Splenda, like Splenda diet coke, Splenda is not the only as, it also has acesulfame potassium which is a artificial sweetener that can cause bloating and weight gain. Most products marketed with Splenda also have this, crystal light, Splenda, protein shakes...
Nancypie11 is offline   Reply With Quote