Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 04:11 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: adidas83
Red/Purple Toes?

I am searching for a Dr. right now, but just wondering if anyone has any idea as to what is going on.

About 3 weeks ago I trimmed my toenails and about a day or two later they woke me up at night itching so bad! The next day I noticed what appeared to be a bruise on one of my toes. I had thought I might have just scratched too hard and it caused a bruise, but now for the past two weeks, every time I get out of the shower and go to put my socks on, I notice ALL of my toes are purple around the nail. They look like bruises all over the tips of my toes!

They no longer itch and they are not painful, but it is kind of scaring me since I have no idea what it is.

Could it be athletes foot or something caused by cutting my toenails?

And suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
adidas83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
KOO
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KOO
Stats: Starting 183(2/06)now below....
WOE: Hcg 9/12/12...142.5/134/130
Do you take a bloodthinner? When I was on Warfain I was to watch for purple toes.
KOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
It sounds like a circulation problem. Have you been less active, sitting more, drinking more alcohol? Is there any unusual swelling or warmth in the leg?(signs of a clot).
Please do see your doctor asap.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I take niaspan at night along with aspirin (to help with flushing), but not blood thinners beyond that.

It kind of sounds like this:

Chilblains - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But their not ulcerated at all.

I might take a pic. My feet are not nasty looking haha, but at least people can see the redness I am talking about. It's super weird.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
Do you hands do the same thing? There is such a thing as Raynaud's phenomenon that can cause a reddish/purplish appearance to the hands and feet.
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star73 View Post
Do you hands do the same thing? There is such a thing as Raynaud's phenomenon that can cause a reddish/purplish appearance to the hands and feet.
Yeah, I have looked into that, but my hands and fingers look perfectly fine

Okay, just took pictures of my feet and their not pretty, but you can see the red that I am talking about:

Right foot:

Left:

Old 12-29-2011, 09:50 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

wow, I do see what you are talking about. It's very obvious. do they feel cold at all? I would definitely see a doc about this and soon. You want to make sure your toes are getting the circulation they need. It looks as though there are small hemorrhages under the skin, but I'm no doc. If you press on them do they turn white?

Aspirin is a blood thinner, is there a way you can stop that or are you taking it for your heart?
Old 12-29-2011, 10:17 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
wow, I do see what you are talking about. It's very obvious. do they feel cold at all? I would definitely see a doc about this and soon. You want to make sure your toes are getting the circulation they need. It looks as though there are small hemorrhages under the skin, but I'm no doc. If you press on them do they turn white?

Aspirin is a blood thinner, is there a way you can stop that or are you taking it for your heart?
I can stop it. It is just to help me not flush as bad when I take the niacin at night for my high Tri's.

Isn't it odd looking? Its like 65 in the house and in the upper 50's outside. It isn't that cold! My hands, feet and nose are always cold, but never purple like my toes!

My feet are freezing to the touch and I press on the purple, a little white around the purple, but can't tell if it's white ON the purple. They aren't numb or sore. They also don't itch like they did when I first noticed them (about 2 weeks ago).

I have had circulation issues in the past. Arms, legs, random body parts falling asleep super easily. I mentioned to my Dr. before but of course they said nothing was wrong. Blah.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:41 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

If they aren't like this when you see your doctor you should show them these pictures. this could be some kind of autoimmune response to something going on in your body systemically. I wouldn't wait too long to see a doctor. A friend of mine has Raynaud's of her hands and they have this reddish/purple appearance like your toes do here. A lot of times Raynaud's is caused from some kind of autoimmune problem. please let us know what your doctor says
Old 12-30-2011, 02:35 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
If they aren't like this when you see your doctor you should show them these pictures. this could be some kind of autoimmune response to something going on in your body systemically. I wouldn't wait too long to see a doctor. A friend of mine has Raynaud's of her hands and they have this reddish/purple appearance like your toes do here. A lot of times Raynaud's is caused from some kind of autoimmune problem. please let us know what your doctor says
I will. Thank you! It's just so odd how the color came out of nowhere. I don't think the color is going anywhere. Still the same today.

Will call all around on monday/tuesday and try to find a Dr. to at least look at them. If not, I will be forced to go to the ER, which I don't want to do, but at least I'd be seen and get an answer and my insurance would cover that. Quite sad.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

I hope you can see a doctor versus going to the ER. The ER tends to not look at the big picture of things. Will your insurance not cover you seeing a doctor?
Old 12-30-2011, 04:09 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I hope you can see a doctor versus going to the ER. The ER tends to not look at the big picture of things. Will your insurance not cover you seeing a doctor?
The Dr. I have been going to for years told me a few weeks ago when I went in for something else that I had a $50 co-pay because I hadn't met my deductible. Whatever that is. I have never had a co-pay with my insurance. Ever. And it hasn't changed nor did their policy at this particular Dr.

So no idea what to do now, unfortunately.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #13

Gallery: fawn
Wowzers! It does seem to resemble raynauds. Are they stinging with alternating numbness? If so, I would normally recommend alpha lipoic acid @ about 600mg day.

Are you consuming wheat? Lasr, if they itch off and on you might consider the possibility of candida

Last edited by fawn; 01-01-2012 at 10:02 AM..
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post
Wowzers! It does seem to resemble raynauds. Are they stinging with alternating numbness? If so, I would normally recommend alpha lipoic acid @ about 600mg day.

Are you consuming wheat? Lasr, if they itch off and on you might consider the possibility of candida
No stinging or numbness or pain at all.

Itched terrible the first night I noticed then a bit last night. Other then itching, nothing else!
Old 01-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lynnport
I have Raynaud's syndrome and my fingers and toes don't ever look like your pictures. I lose circulation and color in my my digits, so they look white.
lynnport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:20 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 312/310/ a lot less
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: restart again 10/27/2014
I wonder if pine bark extract would help? It is suposed to help with micro circulation problems and it's cheap.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: maizenbluebabe
Stats: 182.0/168.4/150
WOE: LowCarb, JUDDD
Start Date: June 08
Cellulitis causes redness like this--and "purple-ishness" sometimes, and also can cause itchiness at times, but usually it shows up on the legs. Just for the heck of it, you might check that out, though. iIt is caused by the staph bacteria we all carry all the time on our skin and sometimes when the skin is broken, the staph invades the area and causes infection and inflammation--the way it is treated is with antibiotics. This is just a stab in the dark but maybe might be worth if for you to Google.

Also, have you tried just Googling a phrase like "red toes" or "red, inflamed toes"? Sometimes you can get a lot of helpful information from doing that. Toes are very important little critters and you need to take good care of them and get them diagnose/treated as soon as you can. Best of luck and please let us know how you are doing.

Last edited by maizenbluebabe; 01-14-2012 at 02:17 PM..
maizenbluebabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #18
KOO

Adidas, have you been to the doctors about it yet? Update?
Old 01-15-2012, 01:10 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Thanks guy again for the help and info.

I have not been to a Dr. yet as I do not have the funds. They are looking better, I think. Not as brightly red. The color seems darker, yet faded, if that makes sense. No loss of sense of touch or anything and the itching has ceased, which is good.

I know I still need to go to a Dr. just a shame to have to get myself into debt over something that might not be a big deal, though it could be a big deal, so I don't know.

ETA:

My toes are very cold to the touch always. I wonder if that has anything to do with it? I also looked up the Cellulitis and my toes are not swollen like it says they usually are. No swelling at all. Just the change of color (as seen in the photo), no burning, but again, very cold.

Last edited by adidas83; 01-15-2012 at 01:12 AM..
Old 01-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Cellulitis wouldn't come and go, it would stay and would only get worse before treatment. Usually, there is a lot swelling with cellulitis and pain.

are you still taking the aspirin? If not, then that may explain why it's darker and it may eventually stop. your blood may be too thin. I do wish you would see a doctor though. Some things that might look small are actually indicators of something major going on.

Last edited by Star73; 01-15-2012 at 07:13 AM..
Old 01-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #21
KOO

I am glad it is looking better, but I also hope you can find the funds to see a doctor about it. Better safe than sorry.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:29 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE INSURANCE, maybe you ought to try going to an ER late at night or on a weekend when doctors' offices are closed. They HAVE to take you at an ER whether you have insurance and can pay or not.

OR, an even better idea--try to find a Doc in A box (one of those urgent care centers) They charge a flat rate up front and tell you what it is and it is cheaper than most ways of seeing a doctor--and if you dont have a serious problem which will go away by itself or else with some antibiotic treatment, at least you will have some peace of mind. Sometimes you can even see a PA and it costs less.

You say your feet are cold--obviously you have a circulation problem--by any chance, could you be diabetic? It is very common for them to have difficulty with their feet and that is another reason you need to see about this--I am not kidding, diabetic feet left untreated/ignored too long can cause you nightmare health problems like eventual amputation starting with your toes. YOU MUST GET HELP if this does not clear up on its own very soon!

Your predicament is a perfect example of why we need affordable health insurance for EVERYONE!
Old 01-19-2012, 01:02 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maizenbluebabe View Post
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE INSURANCE, maybe you ought to try going to an ER late at night or on a weekend when doctors' offices are closed. They HAVE to take you at an ER whether you have insurance and can pay or not.

OR, an even better idea--try to find a Doc in A box (one of those urgent care centers) They charge a flat rate up front and tell you what it is and it is cheaper than most ways of seeing a doctor--and if you dont have a serious problem which will go away by itself or else with some antibiotic treatment, at least you will have some peace of mind. Sometimes you can even see a PA and it costs less.

You say your feet are cold--obviously you have a circulation problem--by any chance, could you be diabetic? It is very common for them to have difficulty with their feet and that is another reason you need to see about this--I am not kidding, diabetic feet left untreated/ignored too long can cause you nightmare health problems like eventual amputation starting with your toes. YOU MUST GET HELP if this does not clear up on its own very soon!

Your predicament is a perfect example of why we need affordable health insurance for EVERYONE!
Amen to the last part of your post.

I have been to the Dr. as recently as a few months ago and they did all kinds of blood tests as an annual check-up and I am not diabetic, fortunately.

The toes are slowly fading more and more each day. I think April might be the earliest I am able to see a Dr. as I am moving to a location where I have an actual Dr. that I have seen before and who does take my insurance.

Wish me luck!
Old 01-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Quote:
Cellulitis wouldn't come and go, it would stay and would only get worse before treatment. Usually, there is a lot swelling with cellulitis and pain.
NOT SO! I had cellulitis. It itched and was red and hot, not particularly painful, and I got scared and made a doctor's appoointment. Before I could be seen it started to look better and stopped itching, so I felt like I was being an alarmist and cancelled the appointment.

Fortunately, as it turns out, I developed a bad upper respiratory infection and had to go to the doctor a day or so later. When he was done dealing with that I showed him my leg and he about hit the roof because it WAS cellulitis. I was pretty sick with fever and it may have actually been from the cellulitis more than the URI, I'm not sure.

The moral of this story is DON'T SECOND GUESS. This needs to be seen ASAP! Don't fool around. Losing toes is one thing, losing your life because of sepsis is quite another. If it's not a big deal, at least you will know, and if it is a big deal, then you will get treatment.

See if your doctor will take $5 payments, or bill you for the co-pay you supposedly owe so you can try to straighten it out. Look for an urgent care clinic. Look in the phone book for a free clinic operated by a charitable organization (our community has two!). If worse comes to worse, go to the ER.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Adidas, cellulitis can come and go--can appear to get better and then then can come back again EVEN WITH DR'S CARE AND ANTIBIOTICS!! THIS IS FIRSTHAND KNOWLEDGE acquired from my husband's frightening and drawn-out experience with it. IT IS CAUSED BY STAPHYLOCOCCUS And that stuff can be deadly--and get out of control quickly if you ignore it and are unlucky--IF THAT IS WHAT IT IS.

It has been about 3 weeks now since you first wrote and all of us are very concerned about you, so please get help--someone mentioned a free clinic--see if you can find one, or one which charges based on income as some do. But please, please get help and find the cause of this--it is nor normal for toes to look like this for such a long time if "this is just some little passing thing."

IF this is Staph or anything like that, it can quickly become systemic and you may find yourself suddenly very sick! I hope we are all being over-concerned; a bunch of old worrywarts, but your symptoms are causing alarm in many of us and we fear you may be risking your future health by delaying diagnosis and treatment.

Wishing you luck and GOOD HEALTH, Sally!
Old 01-19-2012, 04:45 PM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
NOT SO! I had cellulitis. It itched and was red and hot, not particularly painful, and I got scared and made a doctor's appoointment. Before I could be seen it started to look better and stopped itching, so I felt like I was being an alarmist and cancelled the appointment.

Fortunately, as it turns out, I developed a bad upper respiratory infection and had to go to the doctor a day or so later. When he was done dealing with that I showed him my leg and he about hit the roof because it WAS cellulitis. I was pretty sick with fever and it may have actually been from the cellulitis more than the URI, I'm not sure.

The moral of this story is DON'T SECOND GUESS. This needs to be seen ASAP! Don't fool around. Losing toes is one thing, losing your life because of sepsis is quite another. If it's not a big deal, at least you will know, and if it is a big deal, then you will get treatment.

See if your doctor will take $5 payments, or bill you for the co-pay you supposedly owe so you can try to straighten it out. Look for an urgent care clinic. Look in the phone book for a free clinic operated by a charitable organization (our community has two!). If worse comes to worse, go to the ER.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maizenbluebabe View Post
Adidas, cellulitis can come and go--can appear to get better and then then can come back again EVEN WITH DR'S CARE AND ANTIBIOTICS!! THIS IS FIRSTHAND KNOWLEDGE acquired from my husband's frightening and drawn-out experience with it. IT IS CAUSED BY STAPHYLOCOCCUS And that stuff can be deadly--and get out of control quickly if you ignore it and are unlucky--IF THAT IS WHAT IT IS.

It has been about 3 weeks now since you first wrote and all of us are very concerned about you, so please get help--someone mentioned a free clinic--see if you can find one, or one which charges based on income as some do. But please, please get help and find the cause of this--it is nor normal for toes to look like this for such a long time if "this is just some little passing thing."

IF this is Staph or anything like that, it can quickly become systemic and you may find yourself suddenly very sick! I hope we are all being over-concerned; a bunch of old worrywarts, but your symptoms are causing alarm in many of us and we fear you may be risking your future health by delaying diagnosis and treatment.

Wishing you luck and GOOD HEALTH, Sally!
She ONLY noticed it when she got out of the shower. That is not typical of cellulitis. Having said that, we have ALL suggested that she be seen. It can be something systemic that needs to be treated.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

My toes are never hot or warm, always freezing! They do not swell at all.

I'm betting something circulatory.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:52 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jonika
Stats: 128/118
WOE: Candida diet, Alkaline diet, Atkins
Start Date: 8/13/2013
I haven't read all the posts in this thread so I may be repeating an information. I used to have a similar problem: my toes would get red , even swollen, and they itched like crazy. It happened at night or during the day when I was sitting (in a car, in a classroom). At the time, I used to be cold a lot - my nose, hands, feet were cold very often. At home, my parents didn't care to heat up the place more than over 68 F.
I went to a dermatologist several times and she did many tests on me. After all the tests, she concluded it was something like an allergy to cold...
Now, I always make sure my feet aren't cold (I turn up the heat at my place, I wear warm boots, I wear warm socks, etc) and the redness and itching are gone.

I forgot to mention that they got really red and itchy right after a warm shower...

Last edited by Jonika; 01-20-2012 at 06:55 PM..
Jonika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:13 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonika View Post
I haven't read all the posts in this thread so I may be repeating an information. I used to have a similar problem: my toes would get red , even swollen, and they itched like crazy. It happened at night or during the day when I was sitting (in a car, in a classroom). At the time, I used to be cold a lot - my nose, hands, feet were cold very often. At home, my parents didn't care to heat up the place more than over 68 F.
I went to a dermatologist several times and she did many tests on me. After all the tests, she concluded it was something like an allergy to cold...
Now, I always make sure my feet aren't cold (I turn up the heat at my place, I wear warm boots, I wear warm socks, etc) and the redness and itching are gone.

I forgot to mention that they got really red and itchy right after a warm shower...
Will definitely look into this, though most of my toes are almost normal looking again except for one toe.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:17 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Well, lately I have been getting a couple red dots on the bottoms of the tip of my toes and saw some pics like this one:

And it sounds like chillbains!

But the thing is, it is not cold here! Always at least 70 in the house and 55 outside, and I rarely go outside.

I always wear socks, yet my feet are always very cold to the touch. I am trying to find out more info. I think I have a circulatory issue causing all of this.

These new dots are actually quite sore.