Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 02:10 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlieb62
In my personal experience I don't know that it makes much difference. I used cheap OTC cyanocobalamin sublinguals (1000 mcg per day) and brought my level to over 1000 pg/ml in just several months time. If you're deficient, I think it's more the dosage than the delivery method that counts.

Last edited by jlieb62; 09-25-2012 at 02:11 PM..
jlieb62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2012, 08:54 PM   #32
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
I have a B12 shot once a month. When I first was diagnosed I had one shot a week for about 4 weeks and then it switched to once a month. The oral B-12 that you put under your tongue just doesn't cut it for me. My B12 levels have been normal ever since.. I also had a iron Deficiency.. It was so bad that I had to have a blood infusion in February. I NEVER want to do that again. They want to recheck my blood but I have been putting it off. I am going to do it towards my regular visit which is November..

I hope the B12 shots help you!!! Have them check your iron also if you are still having issues of tiredness.

cheri

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:12 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/154/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
This is a great video. Long but worth watching.

B12 Deficiency - YouTube" target="_blank">Diagnosing and Treating Vitamin B12 Deficiency - YouTube
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #34
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
I gave myself B12 shots for a while but they did not make a different in how I felt.

I now take ProCaps B12 supplements (capsules) and they are getting my levels up. They are specially formulated for absorption. I do agree though that most oral B12 supplements are a waste of money because they are not formulated this way and are destroyed before we can absorb and use them.

My doctor seems to be happy to have me on the low end of normal but I am working on getting into the optimal range.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #35
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmergirl View Post
My primary care ordered the test because of the overwhelming fatigue I was feeling and I was having numbness (prickly feelings) in my hands in feet. I also have MS and it is very common to not have enough B12 so I was checked mainly out of routine because of that as well. They are hoping that the shots will help me with the fatigue and that some of the numbness will go away with it and that it might not just be the MS causing all the issues. I guess we will see! I start the shots tomorrow.
I also have MS, and have been B12 deficient for a little while now. I give myself a shot (sometimes weekly, sometimes bimonthly, depending on what the tests show). No big deal (of all the shots I've taken or given myself, this is by far the easiest!), and it helps my levels. Doesn't really help my fatigue, but that's because of the MS anyway. Even when my B12 levels were fine, fatigue was one of my worst MS symptoms.

I also have to take folic acid daily, despite the fact that my diet is fairly high in it to begin with. It's not too uncommon for people with MS to have malabsorption issues.

ETA: I forgot to mention that I'm also hypothyroid. That might be a factor too.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.

Last edited by Ntombi; 02-23-2013 at 08:12 AM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #36
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Thank you Erin for posting this link. It is frightening and I feel certain this is what happened to my next door neighbour. He had all the symptoms described and went from being a happy energetic guy to depressed sick, falling, confused and ultimately dying in hospital - quite demented and all in a relatively short period of time. When he was admitted, they said he had 'low b vitamins'. But was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.

There is a wonderful Jimmy Moore podcast with the same nurse (she wrote the book on b12) that is also well worth the time.

And just another reason to stay far, far away from wheat - if we needed another!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

I forgot to mention our buddy Fawn. She posted this on Facebook this morning. Thanks go out to her.

Ntombi- I'm glad to hear that you are on top of this! Folks on this site seem to be so much more aware and/or open to looking at vitamin deficiencies. I have a few friends and family members who have chronic (some unexplained) illnesses. They smile and nod but have never had their levels checked. I think that they now consider me some sort of hippy quack.

DH and Mom take me very seriously though. They have both experienced the great improvements in their health and well being.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #38
Chatty Cathy

Chris Kresser also has a great blog post on the same issue of b12 deficiency. He makes a good point that even if your diet seems as if one shouldn't be deficient, it may not be the case. There are other reasons for deficiency other than diet - in fact, lots of other reasons.

Google his name and vitamin b12 deficiency.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
Leo41 mentioned that her B12 was high. When I had mine tested last year, it was also high, not a lot, just a few points over the maximum. Does anyone know what an elevated B12 level can mean? My doctor was not concerned.
Ronnie51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:22 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Cathy, I will read. My low levels are genetic, I believe. I was lucky enough to find a Dr. for Mom that is big on testing both B12 and D for all his patients.

This is another great article on B12 and why we require it. I have read it about 10 times, so I keep it on my favorites. I get something new out of it everytime I read it.

I read many articles like this and feel as if I have a good understanding of them but I am terrible when it comes to translating. This one is very meaty and has really taken some concentration on my part.

Sulphur And Mercury
Old 02-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Sorry, Ronnie, I saw your question right as I was logging off. I have no idea. Maybe it want' overly high? I have googled to look but am finding several things that could cause it to be a concern if it is VERY high.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin57 View Post
Sorry, Ronnie, I saw your question right as I was logging off. I have no idea. Maybe it want' overly high? I have googled to look but am finding several things that could cause it to be a concern if it is VERY high.
Thanks for checking, Erin. I really don't need anything more to worry about, so since my doctor isn't worried, I won't be either.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #43
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Su11
Stats: Total loss- 65 (since Sept 05)
WOE: General lower carb- fructose limited
The older you get, the less likely it is that you have enough 'intrinsic factor' to utilize oral b12, no matter what delivery system you are using. Since I am hypothyroid and have a few other issues, it shouldn't have surprised anyone that this might be an issue for me.

I give myself my shot, two to 4 times a month, depending on my physician's instructions. I've seen my muscle and joint pain disappear with this, and it only comes back when I get careless about the shots.

I'm not all that old, but I just don't get enough B12, even in high dose sublinguals. I was taking mass quantities when I was tested the first time. It isn't expensive to do the self injections.

My dad is on a similar schedule, so it is easy for both of us.

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." (Mae West)
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." (Theodor Seuss Geisel, a.k.a. Dr. Seuss)
Su11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:36 AM   #44
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tayur
what is b12 deficiency?

hwhat are the symptoms of vitamin b12 deficiency?
how to recover it?
tayur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #45
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tayur
Vitamin B12 Deficiency

hi,Iam newbie here.I don't about Vitamin B12 Deficiency ,
But my friend suffered from that therefore i like to join here.
How was the Vitamin B12 Deficiency recovered?
tayur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:49 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kateee
Stats: 220/162.2/155 (5'9")
WOE: Atkins Phase 3-4
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin57 View Post
I forgot to mention our buddy Fawn. She posted this on Facebook this morning. Thanks go out to her.
How do I find her on Facebook? I'm not signed up with Facebook. Can I still view her page? I miss her posting here.

Thanks
Kateee

Last edited by Kateee; 03-01-2013 at 05:51 AM..
Kateee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:56 AM   #47
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Ronnie- When I saw that my B12 was so high, I Googled it and saw all sorts of 'conditions' related to high B12 and got scared! But when I spoke to my doctor, he told me that I'd have other issues and symptoms for any of those conditions and that, in fact, for a healthy person, the higher the B12 the better. I guess this is why you're doctor wasn't worried. It's a good thing.

An analogy is my cholesterol. The lab always flags it as 'high' because I happen to have a very high HDL (usually 95-110), and that's actually a good thing (my cardiologist is very impressed), but if you look at the lab report, you might be concerned if you didn't know that a high HDL is desirable.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Hi Leo41! Thank you for your response. It's interesting how you and I have similiar "issues" as my HDL is also very high and my doctor is not concerned that my total cholesterol is slightly over 200. He's more concerned with my LDL particles and if they are small and dense or big and fluffy. Sounds like both our doctors keep up with the latest developments.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #49
Chatty Cathy

I picked up her book today and am looking forward to reading it!
Old 03-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #50
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Ronnie- Last year, my endo did a VAP test which measures particle size, and my LDL was 100% big and fluffy. He mentioned that he's noticed that if his patients have high HDL and low trigs, they almost always have the 'big fluffy' LDL.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Leo, Thanks again for that bit of information....my trigs are also low and my HDL high and my last NMR also showed the fluffy kind of LDL-p. But I recently stopped taking Niacin (based on the two studies that came out in 2011 and 2012 that found that Niacin does not help prevent heart attacks), and my doctor will retest next month to see how my numbers are without the niacin. The studies show that regardless of improved lab results, the niacin isn't clinically helpful. I just realized that we're off that topic here, so I'll stop now...sorry.