Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Kidney stones = no oxalates

Has anyone else had to cut out oxalic acid containing foods?

I just went through my first kidney stone experience and it was not fun! I now face low-carbing without the use of my precious basics: almond flour, all forms of chocolate, any kind of beans, nuts or seeds except flaxseeds, dark green leafy vegetables, blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries, all foods high in oxalic acid.

Fortunately coconut makes the cut as well as oats and all dairy products, eggs, meats, and fats and most other low carb veggies and fruits.

I have plenty of motive for eliminating those foods, believe me, but I am mourning my faves! I know to drink lots of water and lemon juice, but any other advice is welcome as well.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LFinOH
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: 4-1999
stay away from coffee & tea. big contributors
to the making of stones.
LFinOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grammy G
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Paleo
Hi Diana,
I wondered if you had any more problems with kidney stones? I had my first experience (OUCH) a few months back plus my knee swelled a the same time to where I couldn't hardly walk. I think it was the almond flour and dairy.

Do sunflower seeds bother you? I thought it was only tree nuts we were not supposed to eat. What about peanuts?

Bummer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
Has anyone else had to cut out oxalic acid containing foods?

I just went through my first kidney stone experience and it was not fun! I now face low-carbing without the use of my precious basics: almond flour, all forms of chocolate, any kind of beans, nuts or seeds except flaxseeds, dark green leafy vegetables, blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries, all foods high in oxalic acid.

Fortunately coconut makes the cut as well as oats and all dairy products, eggs, meats, and fats and most other low carb veggies and fruits.

I have plenty of motive for eliminating those foods, believe me, but I am mourning my faves! I know to drink lots of water and lemon juice, but any other advice is welcome as well.
Grammy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bob3333
I've followed low oxalate for several years and it is tough. Sunflower seed butter is a good substitute for peanut butter, it is low oxalate. Coffee is actually ok, but tea is very high. Absolutely NO sesame seeds or spinach, two of the very highest.

The problem with oxalates is that the food lists are very inconsistent, some of this is because of where the food is grown makes a difference. The best list is:

Recipes/Food Lists-Low Oxalate Diet

They have a great yahoo group called "trying low oxalates" that is very active and keeps updating the data base of foods as they have new ones tested. For example, cinnamon just went onto the very high list.

Good luck!
bob3333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: momacat
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFinOH View Post
stay away from coffee & tea. big contributors
to the making of stones.
First let me say that I've had my fair share of problems with kidney stones so I've got some background on this subject. Second- comments like the one above are not really accurate. Folks get stones because their bodies don't process certain foods well. There is no 1 rule fits all for stones except to say that it's helpful to drink tons of water. The only way to determine what kinds of foods your body isn't properly processing is for your doctor to run some tests.
momacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ASHLEY2HAWAII
Stats: 196/183/125
WOE: ATKINS 72
Start Date: RESTART 7-8-14
Quote:
Originally Posted by momacat View Post
First let me say that I've had my fair share of problems with kidney stones so I've got some background on this subject. Second- comments like the one above are not really accurate. Folks get stones because their bodies don't process certain foods well. There is no 1 rule fits all for stones except to say that it's helpful to drink tons of water. The only way to determine what kinds of foods your body isn't properly processing is for your doctor to run some tests.
Dianafoot has determined what kind of stone she had, and LFinOH is correct that coffee and tea are contributors to that particular type of stone. I have had stones from the age of 10, mine are Cystine stones. Drinking a gallon of water a day has helped. You are correct that there is not just one rule, but LFinOH was correct for her type of stone.
ASHLEY2HAWAII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: momacat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHLEY2HAWAII View Post
Dianafoot has determined what kind of stone she had, and LFinOH is correct that coffee and tea are contributors to that particular type of stone. I have had stones from the age of 10, mine are Cystine stones. Drinking a gallon of water a day has helped. You are correct that there is not just one rule, but LFinOH was correct for her type of stone.
Thanks for the clarification. I was responding to general nature of the statement that LFinOH made...stating that those substances contributed to the formation of stones not that they contributed to the making of certain types of stones.
momacat is offline   Reply With Quote