Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   General Health/Medical Issues (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/)
-   -   Kidney stones = no oxalates (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/740126-kidney-stones-no-oxalates.html)

dianafoot 10-11-2011 01:54 PM

Kidney stones = no oxalates
 
Has anyone else had to cut out oxalic acid containing foods?

I just went through my first kidney stone experience and it was not fun! I now face low-carbing without the use of my precious basics: almond flour, all forms of chocolate, any kind of beans, nuts or seeds except flaxseeds, dark green leafy vegetables, blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries, all foods high in oxalic acid.

Fortunately coconut makes the cut as well as oats and all dairy products, eggs, meats, and fats and most other low carb veggies and fruits.

I have plenty of motive for eliminating those foods, believe me, but I am mourning my faves! I know to drink lots of water and lemon juice, but any other advice is welcome as well.

LFinOH 10-23-2011 07:01 PM

stay away from coffee & tea. big contributors
to the making of stones.

Grammy G 09-02-2013 10:20 AM

Hi Diana,
I wondered if you had any more problems with kidney stones? I had my first experience (OUCH) a few months back plus my knee swelled a the same time to where I couldn't hardly walk. I think it was the almond flour and dairy.

Do sunflower seeds bother you? I thought it was only tree nuts we were not supposed to eat. What about peanuts?


Bummer!


Quote:

Originally Posted by dianafoot (Post 15079187)
Has anyone else had to cut out oxalic acid containing foods?

I just went through my first kidney stone experience and it was not fun! I now face low-carbing without the use of my precious basics: almond flour, all forms of chocolate, any kind of beans, nuts or seeds except flaxseeds, dark green leafy vegetables, blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries, all foods high in oxalic acid.

Fortunately coconut makes the cut as well as oats and all dairy products, eggs, meats, and fats and most other low carb veggies and fruits.

I have plenty of motive for eliminating those foods, believe me, but I am mourning my faves! I know to drink lots of water and lemon juice, but any other advice is welcome as well.


bob3333 09-15-2013 09:10 AM

I've followed low oxalate for several years and it is tough. Sunflower seed butter is a good substitute for peanut butter, it is low oxalate. Coffee is actually ok, but tea is very high. Absolutely NO sesame seeds or spinach, two of the very highest.

The problem with oxalates is that the food lists are very inconsistent, some of this is because of where the food is grown makes a difference. The best list is:

Recipes/Food Lists-Low Oxalate Diet

They have a great yahoo group called "trying low oxalates" that is very active and keeps updating the data base of foods as they have new ones tested. For example, cinnamon just went onto the very high list. :(

Good luck!

momacat 09-15-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LFinOH (Post 15115110)
stay away from coffee & tea. big contributors
to the making of stones.

First let me say that I've had my fair share of problems with kidney stones so I've got some background on this subject. Second- comments like the one above are not really accurate. Folks get stones because their bodies don't process certain foods well. There is no 1 rule fits all for stones except to say that it's helpful to drink tons of water. The only way to determine what kinds of foods your body isn't properly processing is for your doctor to run some tests.

ASHLEY2HAWAII 09-15-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momacat (Post 16605204)
First let me say that I've had my fair share of problems with kidney stones so I've got some background on this subject. Second- comments like the one above are not really accurate. Folks get stones because their bodies don't process certain foods well. There is no 1 rule fits all for stones except to say that it's helpful to drink tons of water. The only way to determine what kinds of foods your body isn't properly processing is for your doctor to run some tests.

Dianafoot has determined what kind of stone she had, and LFinOH is correct that coffee and tea are contributors to that particular type of stone. I have had stones from the age of 10, mine are Cystine stones. Drinking a gallon of water a day has helped. You are correct that there is not just one rule, but LFinOH was correct for her type of stone.

momacat 09-15-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASHLEY2HAWAII (Post 16605226)
Dianafoot has determined what kind of stone she had, and LFinOH is correct that coffee and tea are contributors to that particular type of stone. I have had stones from the age of 10, mine are Cystine stones. Drinking a gallon of water a day has helped. You are correct that there is not just one rule, but LFinOH was correct for her type of stone.

Thanks for the clarification. I was responding to general nature of the statement that LFinOH made...stating that those substances contributed to the formation of stones not that they contributed to the making of certain types of stones.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:35 AM.