Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 09:35 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
Very low blood pressure

I haven't been feeling well for the past week or so. This morning I felt like I might faint, and it occurred to me that my blood pressure might be low. It's always been a bit low, but healthy.

After I went upstairs and moved around a bit, I felt slightly better, then took my blood pressure and it was 83/52. I think that explains why I've been feeling so bad.

A little over a week ago, I started taking Calcium AEP for an unrelated health condition. Now I read that it is also used to lower blood pressure. Well, I can tell you, it works. I guess I'll have to stop taking it, or at least reduce the dosage a lot.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
Yes, I have the same problem. I try to be very frugal w/Stevia bc it's suppose to lower your blood pressure too. It has a warning right on the box!

Surely there are calcium supplements that won't lower blood pressure? I had never heard that before, thanks for the tip.
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

I didn't know that about stevia. I recently eliminated Splenda, so I've been using more stevia.

I'm not taking the calcium AEP as a calcium supplement, oddly enough. :-)
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
I just got bloodwork done for thyroid bc it apparently can cause low blood pressure...and the doctor's office called to say I need to come in...which implies something was off. Of course, DH didn't mention it until SATURDAY so I have to try to beat all the "something came up over the weekend" ppl to get an appt this week!

Edited to fix typo and add: I throw that out there too in case you have other thyroid symptoms.
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
my blood pressure is almost identical....86/55. I dont take calcium...and my thiroid checked out fine! It has always been low..but l/c knocked it lower.
It does make me feel week and dizzy at times...not sure WHAT to do about it!

hugs
jo
x
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Just a note on the thyroid testing-I never had out of range test results-mine were always "normal" and I ended up having a total thyroidectomy. It depends where you fall in the test ranges and your symptoms for a diagnosis and most pcps don't run the full thyroid panel of tests just a TSH. TSH=thyroid stimulating hormone and is produced by the pituitary gland not the thyroid. And low blood pressure is defintely a symptom of hypothyroidism.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
Just a note on the thyroid testing-I never had out of range test results-mine were always "normal" and I ended up having a total thyroidectomy. It depends where you fall in the test ranges and your symptoms for a diagnosis and most pcps don't run the full thyroid panel of tests just a TSH. TSH=thyroid stimulating hormone and is produced by the pituitary gland not the thyroid. And low blood pressure is defintely a symptom of hypothyroidism.
Same for my daughter as well....All her tests always came back "normal" and she ended up having a total thyroidectomy as well. Her pressure is still low, just not as low as before...
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

How low is it when associated with hypothyroidism?

I just took mine again, and it's 79/55. I don't feel very good.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #9

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily-D View Post
How low is it when associated with hypothyroidism?

I just took mine again, and it's 79/55. I don't feel very good.

There are no set numbers that is very YMMV.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:38 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
If someone is low on potassium, can that cause low BP?
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:53 PM   #11

Gallery: fawn
low salt causes the bp to drop. Add some salt to a glass of water
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the advice. I've had more salt than usual today, and I take potassium everyday. I really think this is caused by the Calcium AEP, because the feeling started after I started taking it.

I'll take your advice and take more salt.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:07 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

What is AEP calcium?
Old 08-21-2011, 09:44 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Are you on any new meds?

My husband's diuretics does this to him - makes his blood pressure drop.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:58 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Gibbs
Stats: 322/306/180-ish (5'6")
WOE: My own low-carb way
Start Date: 8/20/14 for yet another time
Here's my low blood pressure story from this weekend. My oldest went shopping with me at Wal-mart, we went all around the store, to the pharmacy for my Thyroid med and the old man's eye drops. I started getting dizzy and had to sit down. Since I was at the blood pressure taker machine thingy, I did it, 63/39 with a pulse of 84.

The old man gave me the 3rd degree for not going to the ER right then, but after I went to the truck, I started feeling better.

Maybe low blood sugar? I hadn't had anything to eat in a long while.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:52 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

No new meds, just this new supplement, and the symptoms started a few days after I started taking it.

Calcium AEP is supposed to nourish nerve cells and is recommended for MS, among other things.

After doing more research into it, I have found that it can lower blood pressure.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:38 AM   #17

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
My blood pressure has always been low. When I was having major gall bladder issue I once had to go to the ER. The check in nurse checked my BP 3 different times. I finally asked, is there a problem...he said, your blood pressure is low. I asked, horribly low. He said, well it isn't low for a COMA patient!

I too have thyroid issues. I always tested in the normal range but my GREAT DR now said, she didn't buy it. She started me on meds and my thyroid symptoms have disappeared.

I also have hypoglycemia, so maybe they are all related!

I have nothing to offer you except, you are not alone! I never hold back on salt, I allow myself whatever is desired.
zipp2play is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:02 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JuneCC
Stats: 223/147/124, 5' 3.5"
WOE: Dr. Bernstein; Last A1C=5.5
Start Date: Dx 12/2010 w/A1C=13.3 & FBG=303
I also have nothing to offer except you probably know yourself better than anyone else so go with your instincts.

My husband and I both have been having episodes of very low bp, and we're both on meds for high bp, which usually work fine. We have different health problems & take different meds but have both gone low-carb in the last 6 months and lost weight (me, 60lbs, him, 25lbs). I have had to lower my bp meds by 75% but he hasn't lowered his because he had stents placed and needs to keep his arteries "relaxed" for a year, which has the side effect of lowering bp. He has a hard time convincing the staff at the clinic we go to that he's having such low readings, though, and they want to blame our home monitor but we check our grown kids' pressures whenever this happens and it reads theirs fine. I don't do anything to treat mine but I don't feel bad from it, either. I have checked my bg at the time and found no correlation. My dh treats his because he feels bad from it so he eats something salty, drinks 8oz of water and sits in his recliner with his feet up for a little while. Brings his pressure right up. I told him he needs to have his dosages checked since he's lost 25 lbs...they might be too high or having too much of a cumulative effect.

Also, a high carb diet makes us retain water and a low carb diet doesn't so we have to make sure we drink adequate fluids every day.
JuneCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneCC View Post
I also have nothing to offer except you probably know yourself better than anyone else so go with your instincts.

My husband and I both have been having episodes of very low bp, and we're both on meds for high bp, which usually work fine. We have different health problems & take different meds but have both gone low-carb in the last 6 months and lost weight (me, 60lbs, him, 25lbs). I have had to lower my bp meds by 75% but he hasn't lowered his because he had stents placed and needs to keep his arteries "relaxed" for a year, which has the side effect of lowering bp. He has a hard time convincing the staff at the clinic we go to that he's having such low readings, though, and they want to blame our home monitor but we check our grown kids' pressures whenever this happens and it reads theirs fine. I don't do anything to treat mine but I don't feel bad from it, either. I have checked my bg at the time and found no correlation. My dh treats his because he feels bad from it so he eats something salty, drinks 8oz of water and sits in his recliner with his feet up for a little while. Brings his pressure right up. I told him he needs to have his dosages checked since he's lost 25 lbs...they might be too high or having too much of a cumulative effect.

Also, a high carb diet makes us retain water and a low carb diet doesn't so we have to make sure we drink adequate fluids every day.
I need to lower mine, so are you saying that drinking water raises your blood pressure? It makes sense to me because it makes your kidney's work harder right?
Old 08-25-2011, 09:46 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jonahsafta
Stats: 165/157.8/153
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: orig. 1995 @248#
My normal is low...90/60 or lower..I take potassium...keep myself hydrated..use salt freely...and occasionally have trouble anyway...l/c has helped me monitor better.....
Jonahsafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JuneCC
Stats: 223/147/124, 5' 3.5"
WOE: Dr. Bernstein; Last A1C=5.5
Start Date: Dx 12/2010 w/A1C=13.3 & FBG=303
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Girl View Post
I need to lower mine, so are you saying that drinking water raises your blood pressure? It makes sense to me because it makes your kidney's work harder right?
I'm saying being dehydrated can cause low bp. I would not use that as a way to lower high bp.
JuneCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SherriS.
Stats: 198/190/150 Weighed 225 in '05
WOE: Gluten Free (wheat allergic)
Start Date: March 2011
My son was diagnosed with low bp years ago after passing out in P.E. and his tests came back normal on his heart. Our dr told him to stay hydrated.

I'm going to dr Monday (hopefully i can after Irene) for my own issues, including dizziness. If he says anything interesting I will share with y'all.
SherriS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Psmileyf
Stats: 215/180/167
Start Date: 8/1/2011- renewed efforts 8/1/2014
This is all very interesting.

I have had low BP my whole life. It took many years for me to figure it out because I never mentioned to my doctor that I was light headed when I stood up. I had been that way since I was a child, so I assumed it was normal and everyone was light headed when they stood up.

I have a lumpy thyroid and my thyroid test always come back on the low end of normal. So, my doctor has pretty much ignored my thyroid questions, beyond having my lumps biopsied. Maybe I should go see an endocrinologist since you all had normal test results and still had problems. I thought I would just wait for the day that these giant goiters start protruding through my neck!
Psmileyf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:20 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GREWVEE_1
Stats: 225.4/180
Start Date: July 1, 2014...again
I've been a cardiac ICU nurse for 5 years and seen many many patient's with low BP issues. Just to address some of the statement/questions..When you are dehydrated your BP will drop and your heart rate will go up. One way to check for dehydration besides paying close attention to how often you urinate is to check your skin turgor..many people do this on the back of their hands. In those who are older or have thin skin the forehead and on the chest just over the sternum works well. Grab a pinch of skin between your fingers, if the skin "tents" when you release it and stays that way for a little bit you are probably dehydrated. As far as the question if low potassium will cause low BP..I've never seen that as a problem, usually a low potassium leads to arrhythmia's which can be very dangerous..these can also be caused by a high potassium so it's important to find a balance. I agree with adding a little salt to some water to help bring up a low BP. Keep in mind though that it isn't a long term solution! If you are having problems managing your BP I suggest you keep a log of your readings to take to your Dr. If your Dr. isn't listening to you then you need a new one! Your health is not something to be taken lightly...especially your HEART! If your BP stays consistantly low you are not profusing your kidney's, intestines, extremities, etc. Over a period of time this can lead to irreversible damage!
GREWVEE_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:23 AM   #25

Gallery: heidihoopi
WOE: LC My Way
Potassium itself helps lower blood pressure, I know this as I take 4 tabs a day per Dr.'s prescription. So between the calcium, stevia, potassium, and hypothyroidism, I think you may have your answers Emily, mostly likely a combination of all of the above... time to have a talk with your Doc, somethings may have to be decreased.
heidihoopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:43 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for all the great information. It was 75/52 again last evening. Today it's up to 88/55. My resting pulse is always low, never elevated, so I guess that's good.

I'll try cutting down on Stevia and on Potassium, and see if that makes a difference.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #27

Gallery: fawn
Have you increased your salt intake a bit?
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:47 PM   #28

Gallery: wifey
Stats: goal is size 10
Stevia lowers my bp but that is good for me!
wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:51 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

I've been adding a little more salt.

It might be the stevia, so I'm switching back to Splenda for a while to see what happens.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Now, I think it might be all the green tea I've been drinking. I was drinking about 2 quarts of green tea per day for the past month. I've stopped that, and will see if that makes a difference.