Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 09:14 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gretalyn
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: off and on since 2004, on to stay since March 2011
Blood glucose: normal post-prandial but a little high fasting

Does anyone know what it means if your post-prandial (after meal) blood glucose levels are normal, but your fasting blood glucose runs a little bit high?

I have a family history of diabetes, as well as rather lousy health insurance, so I decided to buy a blood glucose monitor so that I could test at home any time and not have to go through my doctor. When I first tested, my fasting level was 106, and two hours after a meal it was still quite high: 147.

But then I read that low-carb eaters have skewed numbers, and for an accurate test you should eat 150g of carb for three days in a row and only then test. I didn't really want to blow my diet, but it's important to me to check this from time to time, so I did it. I ate high-carb for three days, then I tested my fasting levels first thing this morning. I then ate a bowl of white rice and tested again at one and two hours.

The post-prandial numbers improved dramatically on the second test (117 at one hour and 98 at two hours), but my fasting numbers stayed a bit higher than I would have thought: the same as two-hours post-prandial: 98. I've read that 80's is ideal, and that while 90's will be ignored by most doctors, it is actually a bit of a red flag. But with normal post-prandial numbers, I don't know how to interpret it. Is that something to be concerned about?
Gretalyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
oh my.

Quote:
But then I read that low-carb eaters have skewed numbers, and for an accurate test you should eat 150g of carb for three days in a row and only then test.
that is only for a glucose tolerance test, has nothing to do with testing blood sugar like you are doing. eating low carb should keep your numbers LOWER not higher.

please don't eat carbs unnecessarily again for something like this!

there is no reason your post prandial would be that low with WHITE RICE of all things and higher with low carb.

could you test your post prandial with low carb meals a few times again?

the best thing to do is to keep your carbs as low as you reasonably can, for your blood sugar now and hopefully to keep you from developing more problems in the future. a fasting 98 is not terrible, but it's not the sign of a really healthy insulin metabolism either.

after you have tested some low carb meals, send me a private message about the results if you want, I can almost guarantee I won';t think to come back and read it here.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
that is only for a glucose tolerance test, has nothing to do with testing blood sugar like you are doing. eating low carb should keep your numbers LOWER not higher.
My test was a home version of a glucose tolerance test, using plain white rice as the closest thing I could get to the volume of carbohydrate that they would give you in one of those glucose drinks.

I also assumed that eating low-carb would keep the numbers lower rather than higher! That's why I freaked out with my initial results, and decided to do the more elaborate test. But I read in a couple of places that low-carb eaters have a more "extreme" reaction when they do eat carbs, and in one place I read, purely anecdotal not scientific evidence, that LC eating can even raise your fasting numbers. That was here: Hyperlipid: Physiological insulin resistance

Quote:
please don't eat carbs unnecessarily again for something like this!
I think I will take your advice, but I also think three days is not the end of the world. I was having some "reactive hypoglycemia" type episodes on the rare occasions when I would eat some carbs, and given my family history, I was concerned. So it seemed worth it to know. But now I'm not sure I know anything more than when I started!!!

Quote:
there is no reason your post prandial would be that low with WHITE RICE of all things and higher with low carb.
Right, the whole thing is weird. But it does jive with what I read, that when a LC eater does eat carbs, the body basically overreacts to them, almost like you've sent your system into panic mode.

Quote:
could you test your post prandial with low carb meals a few times again?

the best thing to do is to keep your carbs as low as you reasonably can, for your blood sugar now and hopefully to keep you from developing more problems in the future. a fasting 98 is not terrible, but it's not the sign of a really healthy insulin metabolism either.

after you have tested some low carb meals, send me a private message about the results if you want, I can almost guarantee I won';t think to come back and read it here.
Yes, I will definitely do that. Thank you so much for the offer of help. This whole thing is very confusing to me!
Old 07-07-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I eat <25g carbs daily, and my fasting BG is always 93-95. My endo confirmed what you read--low carb eating can result in higher than normal fasting BG. My endo relies on my A1C, which is always in the normal range.

In addition, I donate blood regularly, and my BG in the middle of the day is always about 75 to 80 (depending on what I've eaten and when).

There's diabetes in my family, too, which is why I am concerned, but my endo says that eating as I do is the best thing I can for myself.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Thanks very much, Leo, for your reply. I just got back the results of my A1c test today, and it was 4.8%. So that's a good, normal number, right?

I appreciate the encouragement! I know that low-carb is the best thing a diabetic, pre-diabetic, or even someone with a family history of diabetes can do for themselves. When I saw my numbers I initially worried that maybe I need to drop my carb intake even lower. I limit to 70 per day, but usually end up between 50 and 60. I like this level, because it allows me some flexibility while still keeping my weight steady and keeping me healthy . . . I think. But I could go lower if there is a medical reason to do so.

ETA: My fasting level this morning was the highest I've seen so far: 113.

Last edited by Gretalyn; 07-07-2011 at 08:37 AM..
Old 07-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Yes, that A1C is excellent--and I wouldn't worry about the fasting number with that A1C. But I'd definitely continue to eat low carb--at the level you're comfortable--because it's the healthiest WOE for those of us who have diabetes in the family.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Yay! That's great to hear. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing then.

Thanks again!