Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SHinOK
Start Date: April 2000
Skin discoloration from old mosquito bites

I am very allergic to mosquito bites, and a few years ago, I got a bunch of them all at once around my ankles & lower legs. They were very swollen & red, hot & itchy and took weeks to go away. The allergic reaction went away, but I was left with purply-red blotches on my skin that never went away. Some are 3-4 inches across or even overlap the ones next to them. They pretty well encircle my whole ankle/lower leg on both legs. They look horrible.

I imagine this is a leftover toxin of some kind that has found a home in my tissues, but it is ugly, and I'm tired of it! Tanning doesn't make it less noticeable, either. Essentially, I can NEVER wear skirts or capri pants without this yucky, blotchy skin showing. I hate wearing hose, but I have to with skirts, or I look like I have some horrible disease.

Does anyone know how to get rid of it (short of going for laser treatments)? Online searches recommend scar treatment cream like Mederma, Vitamin E oil or even lemon juice. Others say to use creams that bleach/lighten the skin, but I'm a bit afraid to try that over such a large area.

Would coconut oil help it? It seems to be a miracle cure for a lot of other things, so I was thinking maybe it might help?

I'm willing to work at this to get rid of these blotches, but I'm hoping for a natural approach--and not too costly. The prospect of spending another summer sweltering in long pants is NOT something I'm looking forward to!

Tired of looking like the "before" picture. I'm ready to be an AFTER!!

"No creature ever died for lack of STARCH." -- Dr. Rob Thompson
SHinOK is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
If they're not open or infected, maybe try some light skin brushing to improve the blood flow, fluid movement and break down the collagen so new skin can surface?
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
scarring like that is very difficult to change. I really don't think you are going to be satisfied with anything short of some whoppingly expensive treatment like the lasers. you could try hydroquinone as you suggest, but I don't think it will really do much and you have to ABSOLUTELY use high powered sunblock all the time if you do this because even short sun exposure will usually undo all your hard work.

how about some sort of leg makeup? they sell it for people with varicose veins and such. when I was young I used to mix some instant iced tea into hand lotion and found it made a lovely leg tan, which would cover that look up, I bet, but obviously no good if you need to get wet!

good luck. just realize that everyone has something like this. probably the best answer is just to ignore it. I'm sure other people barely notice. we are all very much more conscious of our own bodies than other people are.

if it gets to be too much, I suppose you could tattoo over it!
Old 06-13-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SHinOK
Start Date: April 2000
Thanks for the advice. No, Dottie, nothing is open on them. They've been like this for several years. The bites went away; the blotches found a home. Ugh.

AACK! No tattoos!! I might look into the leg makeup, though. Someone else told me about some that lasts for a few days. Might be the best possible option--at least for special occasions.
SHinOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:20 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LAGril
Stats: 235/163/130
WOE: strict old school Atkins
Start Date: May 17, 2009
I also am highly allergic to mosquito bites. Mosquitos love me and despite my best efforts, I always get bites on my feet and ankles. I, too, was left with ugly purplish splotches from my last round of bites. My dermatologist recommended that I daub on Retin A (I use the generic version Trentoin). I thought she was nuts, but she was correct. The splotches faded substancially. Retin A and Trentoin are prescription medications, so it will require a doctor's visit. Sometimes it is covered by insurance, although often it isn't. Good luck.
LAGril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
The doctor is IN

Gallery: Lucy
Stats: startover 160/154/145 5'9"
WOE: Atkins (original)
Start Date: 2004, restart 5-15-14
I used to have those but over time they did get better. And the scars I still have I don't worry about. I wear shorts and skirts anyway, hardly ever wear hose. I am sure they look much worse to you then others.
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:17 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I have long-lasting purple marks on my legs, too. Not so many as you mention, but I'm sure aware of them.

I dab coconut oil on them and they have lightened a little over the years. I finally just gave in and began wearing shorts anyway. Everyone has their cosmetic flaws. If someone doesn't like my legs, they can jolly well look elsewhere!
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kateee
Stats: 220/162.2/155 (5'9")
WOE: Atkins Phase 3-4
Start Date: April 2011
Purple Scars

I love the outdoors
Those damn mosquito's me

I have those purple scars too, nothing I found has worked for me, and only with time did they disappear My dermatologist said not to scratch the bites, and there was nothing she could give me for them

Now instead of purple, I have small white dots

Try to apply some eucalyptus oil mixed with water spray before going outside. Mosquito's don't like it

The best thing I found is when I do get a bite, I immediately take stick deodorant and rubbed it on the bite It stopped the itching fast, and the bite didn't seem to swell as much It works on a spider bite too!

This is what worked for me Unfortunately nothing for the purple marks
Kateee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:43 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: martiangurll
Stats: 250ish/201.5/138???
WOE: HCG at the moment R3P2VLDC33
Start Date: 4/01/10 (Atkins restart)
2nd the rec for hydroquinolone & religious sunblock afterwards. you can get prescription strength from a doc if the OTC stuff doesn't work. It will take weeks to months to see a difference if it is gonna work.
martiangurll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:59 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nymia77
Make the purple mosquito bites disappear

I am super allergic to mosquito bites as well. I have been biten where I ended up in the emergency room, the doctors there had never seen anything like it. I don't scratch or touch them. They start off red and raised then fill up with liquid and as they drain become purple and scar. I had seen a dermatologist and he put me on mometasone furoate cream usp, 0.1% and it did absolutely nothing. Benadryl is a joke. So finally I went to my amazing general practioner, he put me on clobetasol propionate usp, 0.05% and the purple mark disappeared. It makes the bites shrink and heal and the purple marks go away. Hope that works for you.
nymia77 is offline   Reply With Quote