Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 09:04 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bobby_Boomer
► Arthritis/Bursitis relief diet - works with low carb - goodbye pain!!!

This came up in another thread, so I thought I'd post it as a new thread.

I get my vitamins from a place that has doctors you can consult with.

A few years ago I was suffering from bursitis in the hip so badly that I could hardly walk a couple of blocks without sitting down. I was taking glucosamine, SAMe, and other supplements plus rubbing "relief" products on my hip. Nothing helped. I thought I was on the road to hip replacement surgery, something I wanted to avoid at all costs.

I wrote to the doc at the supplement company and even though they sell supplements, he recommended try the dietary approach first.

And it worked. The bursitis is just a memory now, and the bit of arthritis in my fingers is gone.

Here is an excerpt from the e-mail:

For both arthritis and bursitis, treatment is similar:

Try the dietary approach first, and if that doesn't work, take stronger action.

Foods that may contribute to chronic inflammation are foods with a high glycemic index (foods that convert to sugar quickly), such as fruit juices, sugars, simple starches, or rice cakes, foods heavy in polyunsaturated or saturated fats, and foods high in arachidonic acid. Some specific foods to avoid are:

* Fatty cuts of red meat (high in saturated fats)
* Organ meats: liver, kidney, and so forth (high in arachidonic acid)
* Egg yolks (high in arachidonic acid)
* Pasta (high glycemic index)
* Juices (high glycemic index)
* Rice, especially rice cakes (high glycemic index)
* White bread (substitute whole grain breads such as rye or whole wheat)
* Nightshade Plants (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, peppers, paprika)

Glycemic index charts can be found on the Internet.

Better choices are foods with a low glycemic index and foods that are heavy in monounsaturated fats. Some specific good foods are:

* Salmon and other fish
* Oatmeal
* Fresh fruits and vegetables
* Olives and olive oil
* Peanuts and other nuts
* Whey proteins

I've had a bit of bursitis most of my life. At the time of the severe hip problem I was working on a cruise ship. I didn't like most of the food they were feeding the staff, plus most of it was very high carb, so I loaded up on scrambled eggs for breakfast and just picked the rest of the day.

I've since cut out egg yolks and it took a few months to recover, but I've recovered completely. I eat lean red meat as I never enjoyed the fat, I never liked liver so the organ meat ban was fine with me, I eat the nightshades sparingly (from what I've read, this affects some people more than others), and the rest is just the low-carb stuff I've been eating since the turn of the century.

I've recently cut out all wheat products, and that gave me another 10 pounds of weight loss, but this had nothing to do with the anti-arthritis/bursitis diet I've been on since 2005.

I've been low-carb since 2000 and the longer I do it, the more I'm convinced it is a healthier way to eat.

Bobby
Bobby_Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Very encouraging Bobby!! I have bursitis in my hip and went to the doctor. This was about 10 years ago. All he could do was a cortisone shot--since I was pregnant at the time he wouldn't even give that to me. Since I was so young he said it was my exercise of choice-back then I was into step aerobics big time. Since modifying my exercise I have had less trouble. Thanks for sharing this with us because if it comes back I can sure follow this advice. Seems easier than having a shot of cortisone in my hip LOL.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

It could be "words to the wise" for anyone with arthritis.

I think a lot of things that go on in a health-club are essentially not-healthy at all. Step aerobics are one, we are not meant for that kind of repetitive stress. Loud music in the dance aerobic room is another. Anything over 85dba is potentially damaging to your ears. My DW has measured the volume to be over 100dba, which any ear doctor will tell you causes immediate and permanent damage to your ears. She wears ear plugs in the aerobic room.

They say an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, so this can be used as an arthritis-preventative diet.

And it's pretty much our WOE anyway.

Bobby
Old 06-10-2011, 06:19 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Forgot to mention. It took about 2 months for the pain to subside.

Bob
Old 06-11-2011, 02:59 AM   #5
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I basically did the same thing for my severe osteoarthritis several years ago.

I'd been taking NSAIDs for about 20 years, and I didn't like depending on them, especially since they only took the 'edge' off the pain. In ProteinPower, the Drs. Eades have section on 'inflammatory' foods like fatty red meat and egg yolks, and I began eliminating all 'trigger' foods (since I was already eating low carb, sugar and grains were already gone).

I dropped the NSAIDs right away, and in a few months, I was having less pain without them than I had had while taking them. I also did water exercises and have always exercised to maintain flexibility.

When I mentioned this to my primary doctor, he discouraged me, telling me that as soon as the cold weather arrived, my pain would increase (I'd begun in the spring, and my doctor's visit was in early Sept.).

That was about 4 years ago, and I have even less pain than ever. The anti-inflammatory diet is great. Occasionally, I'll have whole eggs (I love hard-boiled eggs), and some pain returns almost immediately, so I know this WOE has really helped reduce my pain.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

It's amazing that more people don't know about this and that so many doctors discourage it. But then they get paid for pushing pills (they get great incentives from Big-Pharma).

It's also pretty amazing that a doctor that works for a company that sells nutritional supplements told me to try the diet first then if that doesn't work, take the Glucosamine, Chondroitin, SAMe, etc. -- they got my respect as an up-and-up business.

Since arthritis is a disease that is prevalent in older people, I think this country could save a lot of medicare money if we prescribed the anti-inflammatory diet.

But then, I guess not that many people would do it.

I've suggested this to people and I get answers like "I have to have MY eggs", "I have to have MY pasta", "I have to have MY bread" and so on. Notice the possessive pronoun.

On the other hand, there are a lot of people on this forum who are doing something about it, and that's a good sign.

Anybody else with success, please comment. If we keep this thread alive, other people who don't know about it might benefit from the advice.

Bobby
Old 06-24-2011, 09:11 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gave this diet to an acquaintance that does product demos at a grocery store (we often stop and talk to her) and 3 weeks later her pain is already mostly gone.

If you have arthritis or bursitis, give this a try.

Bobby
Old 07-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TxMom3
Stats: 154/149/135
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: July 1, 2013
Thanks so much for this info. I was diagnosed with bursitis last fall and went through the traditional methods trying to get relief (nsaids, cortisone shots, etc) I eventually went to the chiropractor and the pain did subside quite a bit. However, recently I have not been going and my hip has been acting up again. I have been eating 2 eggs + 1 white pretty much every day. I think based on this info, I will start using egg beaters for a while and see if that helps.

I have also tried a natural anti-inflammatory called Curmarin and it sometimes seems to help~but not so obviously that I can feel immediate relief. My kids really want to go to Six Flags before school starts and I am terrified that I will be hobbling around trying to have fun~ I will let you know if I experience relief after cutting out the yolks (All of the other foods listed I don't typically have anyway except maybe tomatoes on occasion)

Thanks again for sharing!!
TxMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Two things have helped my skeletal pain enormously, including bursitis in my shoulder and chronic low back pain:
1. My low carb diet.
2. Treating my sleep apnea with CPAP.

Both have had dramatic results. My shoulder pain virtually disappeared with the CPAP, but chronic low back pain persisted until I started LCing. The back pain stopped before I'd lost any appreciable weight. I have noticed a bit more shoulder pain since starting LC'ing--perhaps I need to cut out the egg yolks and fatty meats. But it's still very tolerable compared to before.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:19 PM   #10
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
YUP!!! Only when I eat off my LC plan does my Fibromyalgia kick up!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #11

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
What worked for my Fibro/arthritis is not so much lc but upping my omega 3s and reducing omega 6/9s to help with inflammation and of course a lc diet stressing healthy oils can do this.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:01 PM   #12

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
It's truly great news whenever anyone finds dietary means to reduce or eliminate pain or any ailments they suffered with. I'm so glad that cutting out the high carbs plus eliminating a bit of this and a bit of that worked so very well for you.

My fibro has almost ceased to ever flare up anymore since I started supplementing with 5,000 units of vitamin D3 daily, as per rheumatologist. A blood test showed me to be below normal. The doc said an awfully lot of people would be shocked to know how many of their pain symptoms and other developing ills come from being so low on this important vitamin/hormone.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:07 PM   #13

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
It's truly great news whenever anyone finds dietary means to reduce or eliminate pain or any ailments they suffered with. I'm so glad that cutting out the high carbs plus eliminating a bit of this and a bit of that worked so very well for you.

My fibro has almost ceased to ever flare up anymore since I started supplementing with 5,000 units of vitamin D3 daily, as per rheumatologist. A blood test showed me to be below normal. The doc said an awfully lot of people would be shocked to know how many of their pain symptoms and other developing ills come from being so low on this important vitamin/hormone.

I had extreme bone pain and chest pains when my D levels tanked to a 10. All it takes is a simple blood test to determine if your D levels are low.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emmaline
So many are low in Vit D levels, especially in the northeast, where MS is prevalent.
Emmaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:26 PM   #15
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
How about abstaining from dairy, does it help with inflammation? Abstaining from dairy and grains has seemed to help me the most with arthritis pain. No one has mentioned dairy so I was wondering.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:23 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Buttercup
Stats: 175/168/135
WOE: Atkins OWL
When I eat right, my knees stop hurting. When I eat poorly, the knees hurt. It's very true what you wrote. I wish I could convince my MIL about it.
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:55 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brandywine12
Stats: 195/160-155
WOE: Atkins 100%
Start Date: 1-4-11

It has done wonders for me as well. mine was border line low. I swear by vitd3 . it defiantly is a wonder drug !!! helps with depression too. My tan is deeper this year lol.
I also didn't get sick one time this past winter , no sniffles or anything.
brandywine12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:07 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ilikecarbs
Stats: 213.4/less than 213.4/190
WOE: Low Carb
I had a cortisone shot on the 6th...and am currently on pretnisone (sp?) for a week to try and help my hip bursitis also. Thanks for the info...
ilikecarbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:16 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shortcut
WOE: No grains/No starch/No sugar
Start Date: Sept 2010
I have had very stiff feet and ankles for years. Ankle reconstruction on my right and (believe it or not) a cotton mouth bite on my left. When I got out of bed in the mornings, I could barely walk for the first thirty minutes. I have no idea how it worked but LC stopped that pain almost immediately.
And living without heartburn was pretty sweet too!
shortcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:48 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zizi
Stats: Over 84 lbs. lost in ~16 months. Goal @ 3/2011
WOE: Low Carb Eclectic
Start Date: LAST Restart Mid-March 2010
Thanks for sharing! Glad you found what works for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
zizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #21
Atkins Ambassador

Gallery: sugarless4life
Stats: 5'3 / 100 pounds / 56 yo /maintaining for 9 years
WOE: Lost it with Atkins / RUNNING to keep it off!
Start Date: January 19, 2002 -10 1/2 YEARS ON ATKINS
I'm convinced that pain is the only way our bodies have to say "ahem....change your lifestyle..."

I'm very happy for you Bobby. I've had similar success since starting Astaxanthin a month ago ... the stuff is awesome.

Betty
sugarless4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
It's truly great news whenever anyone finds dietary means to reduce or eliminate pain or any ailments they suffered with. I'm so glad that cutting out the high carbs plus eliminating a bit of this and a bit of that worked so very well for you.<..snip..>
Thanks.

It's always better if you can combat your challenges with a dietary change rather than relying on pharmaceuticals or invasive means. I've beat this with no drug side-effects, no surgery, and no out-of-pocket expense. Plus if my body is acting positively to the changes, it must be what my body requires.

Everybody I've shared this diet with found relief from the pain.

I hope it helps someone else on this list. I know that no one diet is best for everyone, but this one seems to be pretty universal for arthritis/bursitis.

Sometimes I miss the egg yolks, but it's not worth it for the inflammation. Same for tomato sauce (I'm Italian-American).

Egg whites aren't that bad, mix in a little cheese and it adds some flavor. As far as the carbs are concerned, I've been low-carb since 2000, so I'm good what that, and if lean red meat is better - so be it. Whatever it takes to be healthy.

I also take 5,000 D3 per day and a mega-multi vitamin. But I was also doing this when my bursitis was killing me, so I don't know if it is complementing the dietary changes or not.

Bobby
Old 07-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #23

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Boomer View Post
..........Sometimes I miss the egg yolks, but it's not worth it for the inflammation. Same for tomato sauce (I'm Italian-American)..........
NOooooooooo........ Say it isn't so! That would be a hard one for me to forego. Although I do love the creamy sauces, so alfredo is one of my favorites too.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #24

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Bobby, so happy for you, congratulations

Getting rid of grains which are notorious for creating inflammation in the joints and the entire body probably also helped
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:41 PM   #25
Atkins Ambassador

Gallery: sugarless4life
Stats: 5'3 / 100 pounds / 56 yo /maintaining for 9 years
WOE: Lost it with Atkins / RUNNING to keep it off!
Start Date: January 19, 2002 -10 1/2 YEARS ON ATKINS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz View Post
Getting rid of grains which are notorious for creating inflammation in the joints and the entire body probably also helped
THIS IS SO TRUE.

More people need to know and understand how truly BAD grains are for the body. Oh my, don't get me on *that* soapbox!

Let me sum it up: NO GRAIN: NO PAIN.

Betty
sugarless4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:18 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

I've been off grains for over 10 years, with some infrequent exceptions. Being LC since 2000 I followed most of the suggestions in the diet already. The big change was when I stopped eating egg yolks, red meat fat, and nightshades. But especially the egg and nightshades as I prefer lean meat anyway.

I'm sure everything I was doing with my LC regime also contributed, but I was eating eggs daily and tomato sauce a few times per week. Cutting these out in addition to being LC worked. I went from not being able to walk 2 blocks without sitting, from not being able to drive a car without a 'blue-ice' pack under my hip, to completely pain free. It doesn't get much more dramatic than that!

I read where some people are affected by the nightshades and others are not (just my luck).

No matter what dietary action it takes to make my body happy, I'll do it. NSAIDs might help with the symptoms, but they aren't going to cure the problem.

My body is the only vehicle I have to pass through this life. I happen to like this life and plan to live as long and as healthfully as I can. Unlike my car, I can't trade this body in for a new model if I abuse it. The first step is to feed the body the fuel that this particular body likes. That will cut down on the repairs, and like a car, the repairs are never as good as the original equipment.

I knew a lady who went for knee replacement surgery. She was a ballroom dancer, but she was overweight, and had arthritis. She had so much trouble with the new knees they eventually amputated her legs as she couldn't stand the pain. She died of heartbreak a year or so after that.

MY DW's uncle had his knees replaced a few years ago, and still cannot go from sitting in a chair to standing without help.

Of course, sometimes the joint replacements work fine, but even when they do, they average about 10 years before they need to be replaced. 10 years in the future, you won't recover from surgery as quickly or easily.

So for me the diet is the proverbial ounce of prevention.

Of course, we all should have the freedom to live our lives in our own way. What's right for me might not be best for you.

But if you are troubled by joint pain, you might want to give this a try.

Bobby
Old 07-23-2011, 08:49 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Solimama
Stats: 183/161.5/150? (5'8, 36 years old)
WOE: TNT
Start Date: April 2011
I have psoriatic arthritis (newly diagnosed) and am comtemplating Remicade treatments. I have noticed since being LC I'm better, but not fabulous. I am going to cut out the eggs, nightshades, and fatty red meat cuts and see how it goes. I have an appointment with my rheumetologist in mid-Aug, so that's probably not enough time to get a good gauge- or is it? I can start tomorrow (already ate eggs and have more HB in the fridge and lovely heirloom tomatoes) so that'd give me 3 weeks or so. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!!

Barb
Solimama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:27 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

In 3 weeks you should notice some difference. Be strict about it (no cheating).

It seems to vary. I had very noticeable relief in about a month others who have tried this took a couple of months.

Read all labels. My DW had a lot of arthritis pain in one of her fingers, she was doing great on the diet, then she ate a sandwich with a lot of mayonnaise. What is in mayo? Eggs. Her finger immediately swelled back up and it took a week or so before it settled down again.

Good luck!

Bobby

Last edited by Bobby_Boomer; 07-24-2011 at 07:29 AM..
Old 08-22-2011, 05:45 AM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Wizzu
Er....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Boomer View Post
Foods that may contribute to chronic inflammation are foods with a high glycemic index ([...]simple starches)
Contrary to popular belief, there is absolutely no 'proportional' difference with the glycemix index of simple vs. complex starches. Complex starches as in pasta, potatoes etc... have a high glycemic index despite being complex starches. (You even put them on the "bad" list yourself, and rightly so! ).
Quote:
foods high in arachidonic acid.
[...]
Some specific good foods are:
[...]
* Peanuts and other nuts
But peanuts are actually extremely high in arachidonic acid, exactly what is supposed to be avoided! How could they end in the "good" list..?
I can confirm that peanuts tend to worsen the arthritis in my case.

So.. these principles and food lists are a bit incoherent, aren't they..?

I also have my doubts about the declared pro-inflammatory effect of staturated fats and egg yolks. Where's the evidence..?

Could you post a source to the original diet you're referring to, if possible?

I agree it's a good idea to cut polyunsaturated fats, specially processed ones. I would above all supress corn oil (er... and all corn products to boot). Polyunsaturated in the diet should come ONLY from organic, cold processed oils, without any cooking. Oh and nuts of course (real nuts: peanuts and cashews are actually legumes).

In my case, I found that chocolate (and yes, even very dark chocolate) tends to worsen the arthritis. Which make me mad since I LOVE chocolate.

Curcuma does help but only in conjunction with pepper.
Fresh ginger also helps a lot, but it's not easy to deal with on a daily basis!

Last edited by Wizzu; 08-22-2011 at 05:51 AM..
Wizzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:47 AM   #30
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Hey Bobby so glad you shared this information!!!!

I also found that pain/inflammation increased with a low Vit D (as others here posted).

But I am going to entertain thoughts of cutting out egg yolk and tomatoes to see if that helps too! Thanks so much!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote