Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: Me/LessOfMe/JustRight
WOE: LC/Under 20/40
Start Date: March 2013
Itchy Joints in Fingers...Deep Itching?

Anyone experience a deep itch in the joints of their hands, especially any that have even the mildest arthritic changes? Once the itching starts, and it is a deep, inaccessible itch, then they get red and warm to the touch.
Anyone know about this?
StyngerIsAScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2011, 11:13 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Taxbane
Stats: LBS:215/171/160- - -BF%: 35+/20/11
WOE: 1650 kcals (55 NC/160P/88F) Str Train x2 Wk.
Start Date: December 2010
Hm... Seems very odd. Is this sensation (itching of the hand joints) the first time you have experienced this after starting a LC diet/WOE?

Are you in ketosis?

The only thing similar I have experieced was something similar to a gout flare up when I first started LC. Normally, gout flares up (joint pain) in the big toe joint, which is caused by the disposition of uric acid in the joint due to the compromization of tje kidney's ability to process excess uric acid/purine, which could occur from a diet high in red meat (purine) and low in carbohydrates and low in water.

In my case, I was dehydrated when I started LC, and never increased my water consumption despite LC's duretic effect, and I been eating lots of beef, and was constantly in ketosis.

After eating enough carbs to leave ketosis, and drinking enough water to be properly hydrayted, there has been no incidence since of joint pain/sensation. I've found that when in ketosis, if I do start to become dehydrated, I will notice a tingle in the joints in my feet, which goes away when I drink more fluids.

So, while I am not a medical Dr., I'd' wonder if your symptoms could be gout related, as gout can affect joints other than the big toe, and assuming you were in ketosis, consuming more than normal amounts of meat (red meat - purine), and if you were not properly hydrated.

I'd say make sure you are drinking at least 64 oz of fluids a day and see if the itchy joints go away....

Also, I wonder if your condition could be an alergic/intolerance reaction to a new food in your diet?

Those are my only suggestions. I'd see a Dr. though (one for joints - not a GP) to see what they say, and I'd not mention anything about being on a LC diet/woe unless they specifcally ask you...
Exercise: Tai Chi 2x, Kung Fu 2x, Strength Train x2, P/Wk.
Taxbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:29 AM   #3
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
I have experienced this with gout. Things that helped me are drinking plenty of water, lowering protein, taking vitamin c every hour for 3 or 4 hours, black cherry caps have been a help as well. A really big thing for me was losing weight to fast, uric acid is released from fat cells some kidneys have a hard time keeping up with processing it. Moving like walking helped me. Uric acid turns into crystals that settle in joints. There are many causes it can be different for everyone. Gout is a form of arthritis. I suggest visiting a doctor with your symptoms.

RIP Daisy Dog 1/26/1997 - 7/11/2012

Not every person knows how to love a dog, but every dog knows how to love a person.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the feedback. What a crazy thing! I did some searching online and apparently I'm not alone in the itchy finger joints! It seems to be tied for sure to arthritis/autoimmune, and the shocking thing is there are quite a few posts in forums and on sites where some people attribute it to eating sugar or wheat!
They notice it especially after having none of either in their intake for a while and then eating it. I had some food yesterday that I am now wondering if it had any hidden sugar or wheat? I did notice before the itching started my two finger joints locked up, which they really haven't done in several weeks! Sometimes friends or family don't understand that it's a huge deal to tell me the truth about sugar or wheat in foods they prepare, but I guess with them having limited knowledge they figure a little here and there won't hurt!
I have said several times that I think living LC and VLC has sensitized me jn a huge way to sugar and wheat so that now it only takes a little bit to set me off.
I am also going to read up on the gout issue. I have no problems in my feet, just hands, well, fingers, but it makes sense that a joint is a joint, whether it's lower body or upper!
Old 06-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chelveston
Stats: Health at every size
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart Jan '09
Quote:
Originally Posted by StyngerIsAScorpio View Post
Thanks for the feedback. What a crazy thing! I did some searching online and apparently I'm not alone in the itchy finger joints! It seems to be tied for sure to arthritis/autoimmune,
I'd suggest that you go to your doctor. IF it is RA, you want to get it under control as soon as possible to minimize joint damage.
Chelveston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelveston View Post
I'd suggest that you go to your doctor. IF it is RA, you want to get it under control as soon as possible to minimize joint damage.
I had an appt yesterday and told her about it. It's remarkable that it occurs mainly in the fingers that are numb and have trigger finger. It appears it may related to nerve compression or damage. Nerve responses aren't always painful, they can be a severe irritated itch.
Once we get my sleep apnea, rash of unknown etiology and stasis dermatitis and wicked bp under control, we'll tackle that too! I need a total overhaul!
Old 06-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Buttercup
Stats: 175/168/135
WOE: Atkins OWL
I get this in a toe that I broke. Oh God, it's awful when it starts. Feel better.
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
I get this in a toe that I broke. Oh God, it's awful when it starts. Feel better.
I feel for you, I really do! The itch is so deep that you just can't get to it.I've rubbed the sides of those fingers against the hard edge of the table trying to get relief. No dice!
Old 06-09-2011, 03:39 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
I feel for you for sure!
There is nothing worse than that hot itchy feeling... I get it in my fingers sometimes too..

There have been several posts in the past here about itching on LC..
I just pulled up a few threads for you:

Low Carb Friends - Search Results
daisyHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Prettyfeather51
WOE: None
Itchy Joints in Fingers...Deep Itching

I know this is an old thread but I just came across it. I wish there was something I could do about this itching of the bones and the swelling. I have had this for almost 2 weeks now and it is driving me crazy. Any suggestions>
Prettyfeather51 is offline   Reply With Quote