Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lardlad
Bad Lipid Profile

Hey Everyone,
I have been having great success on the scale eating low carb. But I did get some blood work and it came back very bad. I have lost about 25 pounds in the last three months and I am eating about 65% of my calories from fat. I am discouraged because most people have have their lipid profile imporve after going low carb. Mine has gotten worse. About three years ago I had cholesterol checked when I was low fat and 40mins of cardio a day and I remember the ldl was about 200 but the hdl was 91. Now hdl went down and ldl is up. Anyone know what the deal is? I weigh 215 at 6foot even, 28% bf. These numbers look scary to me:

CHolesterol 353
triglyceride 105
ldl 273
hdl 59
chol/hdl ratio 6
lardlad is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
My understanding, and it did happen to me too, is that when you first lose weight and the fat breaks up and goes into the bloodstream your lipid readings will rise temporarily. As your weight loss levels out the lipid readings will improve.

I don't know if that applies to you though. You might want to research it further.
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tcalhoun72
Stats: 300/205/140 5'4"- Age 39
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/15/2011
What was your diet like in the 3 years prior to low carb? Did you gain weight from when you were doing low fat? Did you have a high carb diet?

My point is, since you don't have a baseline established from right before you started low carb, you can't compare your numbers now to 3 years ago. Your numbers may have been higher 3 months ago than they are now but you will never know.

Additionally, 3 months of low carb is not long enough to see the numbers that you want to see. Keep low carbing and get your lipid panel done again in 6 months.

Take care,

Tami
tcalhoun72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:19 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the info. I'll stick it out. The doctors reaction was alarming.

My diet has been low fat and high carbs for years. I either gained weight or maintained only when I would hit the treadmill for 1/2 hour - 40 mins a day would I lose a few pounds. I cut my carbs last Nov. But I really cut them three months ago in an induction phase.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:35 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TamTam34
Stats: 170/136/130 5'5
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Feb 6, 2011
Yes, I heard it takes 6 months as well. I would let your doc know what you are doing, and get re-checked in about 3 months. Take care!
TamTam34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Well this gets even more alarming. I stopped by the dr. office to get my results from three years ago. I don't know how I was this wrong, but it was last June! That is when I was eating tons of carbs and drinking beer. The only difference is I am now eating lots of fats.

Total was 210
ldl: 108
hdl: 77 (i thought it was 91)
chol/hdl ratio 2.7
Trig: 126

Everything is worse except trigylcerides. Could this diet really spike this much before coming back down? Just when I was starting to feel a bit more comfortable…
Old 05-13-2011, 09:34 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Ok I got a little help on this. In case someone else finds this thread before I come back with my next test results, check out this pdf:

http://www.ajcn.org/content/53/6/1404.full.pdf

Basically all the fat and cholesterol that was stored in your fat escapes into the blood stream during rapid weight loss. The women in the study above saw their numbers go up during weight loss and then back down and even better than before when weight loss ceased.

It totally makes sense and I guess this is the rule of thumb for the 6 month waiting period. But it would seem that if you are still losing lots of weight after 6 months you may still see elevated levels until your weight stabilizes.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TamTam34
Stats: 170/136/130 5'5
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Feb 6, 2011
That makes sense!! Also, don't forget that not all LDL is created equal. The next cholesterol test you get, make sure you ask for the VAP, or direct calculation. It's a better break down of your numbers.
TamTam34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:55 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ontopofmygame
You'll feel great about your numbers next time, and so will the Doc, if you stick with the program. (I won't even charge you for that prediction!) LOL!!! Its carbs that create bad arteries. My Dad was on pritikin for years, then he was told he had heart disease because he was on low fat and high carb. NO KIDDING! Just do what is working, and the medicine that is telling you one thing, will go back to the other in about 10 years. Always happens! People have to write to make tenure... eggs will always be under scrutiny. This year, its fine to eat the yolks, in 5 years, they will be deadly. Just enjoy your hard boiled eggs, and see the diet work! Read others postings to encourage yourself. I do...
ontopofmygame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:23 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: atcgirl42
Quote:
Originally Posted by lardlad View Post
Ok I got a little help on this. In case someone else finds this thread before I come back with my next test results, check out this pdf:

http://www.ajcn.org/content/53/6/1404.full.pdf

Basically all the fat and cholesterol that was stored in your fat escapes into the blood stream during rapid weight loss. The women in the study above saw their numbers go up during weight loss and then back down and even better than before when weight loss ceased.

It totally makes sense and I guess this is the rule of thumb for the 6 month waiting period. But it would seem that if you are still losing lots of weight after 6 months you may still see elevated levels until your weight stabilizes.
That is what I've heard as well. My cholesterol went from 259 to 190 after about a year on low carb.
atcgirl42 is offline   Reply With Quote