Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Extreme Diarrhea

I am wondering if anyone else has had extreme diarrhea for any length of time and stayed on low carb or if you modified your diet.

I have had issues with IBS and lactose intolerance all of my life. I gave up all gluten and dairy last summer. I have not really had gas or any issues since. Against my better judgement I decided to try some of the candy made with sugar alcohols. It did give me some problems but I kept eating it for 4-5 days to see if my system would get used to it.
The diarrhea and cramps got worse so I quit eating it.

I am going on my 15th day of extreme distress with no relief in sight. I started on a good probiotic on Monday and it seems to have gotten much worse since. I saw my family Dr. on Wed. since it was so bad. He said that I have upset the flora in my gut with the candy and it will need to heal itself and to continue with the probiotics. He said that an antibiotic could just make it worse. I have had issues with yeast in the past. He did not do a fecal exam. I am chiding myself for not insisting that he do one. He is very pro low carb and thrilled by my diet. He told me not to change a thing and that low carb has NOT made me sick.

I have not slept through the night all this week and am having to wear some protection at night because of this. I know that is TMI but this is pretty extreme. It is much worse today so I called and scheduled an appointment with a Gastroenterologist for next Wednesday. (Thanks Cheri for your thread on C.Diff.)

I guess my question is on diet. I know a few people who have gone gluten free or dairy free because of these extreme gut issues. With the exception of my experiment with the sugar alcohols I am already eating very clean. No grains at all, no processed foods, etc.
I basically eat meat, veggies and fat.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback from someone else who has experienced this. I feel as if lack of sleep and being on the commode 15 times a day is the new norm for me until I get this worked out.

Sorry for the TMI :blush:
Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LCNana
Stats: 141.5/140/130
WOE: Paleo Nutrition
Start Date: October 2010
I'm so sorry you are going through this! No advice for you except maybe the added stress because of this is making it worse? Not much help - sorry. Don't forget to replace all that fluid - and make sure you use lots of salt and potassium daily. Bone broths would be wonderful if you could make some and add some snippets of kelp for the salt and minerals. Hope you're better soon.
LCNana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jedswife
Stats: 220/160/140
WOE: Body By Atkins
my mom has IBS and when she eats clean as you are she usually has no problems at all....i think you should get the fecal exam especially if this flare up is longer than previous times....it could also be a parasite - giardia or something i'v had that it sucks and had the same symptoms either way a fecal exam will rule it out....definitely stay away from the sugar alcohols with your IBS they will just make it worse.

good luck..hope you feel Better
jedswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tcalhoun72
Stats: 300/205/140 5'4"- Age 39
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/15/2011
Erin... I've suffered with IBS since I was a kid. The only time I don't have problems with it is when I am on a low carb diet.

I can't comment on the other issues you are having with the sugar alcohols because I don't eat them.

I'm so sorry you are having these problems.
tcalhoun72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:29 PM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
best of luck!

do you take magnesium in any form? you need to STOP that till it's better. this encourages loose stools and can keep you from getting back to normal.

any other meds that might contribute? I had this for YEARS, really bad, and when I stopped a couple of diabetes meds it straightened out almost immediately. (they were Avandia and Byetta, which I really doubt you take, but it could be something else. no one told me it was a problem with those drugs. I thought it was a gall bladder removal problem.)

I am VERY sensitive to those sugar alcohols too. Even Xylitol. But erythritol is fine.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:01 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
insist on the culture. I had a food poison that required 8 weeks antibiotic & over a year later still not well . Best wishes.
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:31 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Thanks so much for all of the responses. If misery loves company at least I know that others have had this issue and that I won’t die anytime soon.

I don’t take any meds except for my thyroid hormones and quit all supplements about a week ago. Diet does not seem to effect this at all so I’m continuing with my bacon and eggs for breakfast today. I will insist on a culture when I see the Dr. this Wednesday.
Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:09 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: EdwardianVelvet
Start Date: January 2010
There's a sweet shop in the nearest town to my mother, real old-fashioned with sweets in jars on shelves. I ignored the sugar alcohols can have a laxative effect warning on the sugar-free peardrops and discovered the truth of the warning later. I think you've just had an extreme reaction. You have my sympathy as my rear end revolted for 9 consecutive nights after an Indian takeaway
EdwardianVelvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:56 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bostongal
Stats: 275/173/160
WOE: low residue but helping DH do Atkins
Start Date: 07/29/02
I had intestional surgery in 2005 that left me with extreme diarrhea every day (I can go up to 30x a day - sorry TMI). I cannot do low carb as I need an extremely low residue diet and I need carbohydrates as they are extremely easy to digest. I dropped over 100 lbs quickly and have not gained it back by not eating low carb. I cannot go near a sugar free anything because those sugar alcohols kill me.

I think you need to have this thoroughly evaluated by a Gastro Dr.

I am here if you ever want to chat - just PM me.

I hope you are better soon.

Meg
Old 05-10-2011, 05:49 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
I have an aunt w/ similar problems & the doctors she has seen have not been a great deal of help. I wonder if small amounts of chia seed would be helpful? Please keep us updated as I would very much like to provide any helpful info to my aunt.
Heidinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:00 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dreeza
I've had the same problem for years but not nearly as bad as you.
One thing that set me off was levithyroid(sp) Switching to arum thyroid helped with that .
I have no other idea because I've never figured out what causes it. Other problem is I can't eat much fat due to serious esophagus situation. Hope you get better.
dreeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
best of luck!

do you take magnesium in any form? you need to STOP that till it's better. this encourages loose stools and can keep you from getting back to normal.

any other meds that might contribute? I had this for YEARS, really bad, and when I stopped a couple of diabetes meds it straightened out almost immediately. (they were Avandia and Byetta, which I really doubt you take, but it could be something else. no one told me it was a problem with those drugs. I thought it was a gall bladder removal problem.)

I am VERY sensitive to those sugar alcohols too. Even Xylitol. But erythritol is fine.
I had this problem and it got a lot better when I cut the magnesium!! I had been taking a lot (had a blood pressure scare-turned out to be white coat syndrome but I was freaked and tried mag supplements for a while to help...just ended up with a leaky tum!)

I also get problems from sugar alcohols (UGH!!!! I will never forget an unfortunate incident with sugar free ice cream in an american airport!!) and when I eat a LOT of fat.
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:45 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Has anyone had problems with eryithritol?
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote