Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Heavenlymayday
Heart Palpitations

Before I started low carbing this time around (still getting into the swing of things, but MUCH better than I was a couple of months ago) I was having some severe heart palpitations, almost every night my heart would act like a jackrabbit trying to jump out of my chest and flutter and stuff. Very irregular, very hard, very scary.

Now that I've cut my sugar to practically nothing and trying to keep my carbs quite low it's stopped. Completely. The only times I have trouble now are if I cheat and eat something I really shouldn't. Doesn't happen often because I hate how I feel afterwards. Other than that not a single skipped beat or flutter.

Anyone else have a similar experience, any ideas on what that might have been?
Heavenlymayday is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
I used to get something like that, way before my LC days, and it got diagnosed as SVDT, some sort of tachycardia. I had an ablation done, they said they found a rogue nerve on the outside of the heart and burned it off. I never had the problem since. I was glad it was fixed since it landed me in the emergency room several times.

I think sometimes if people have their electrolytes messed up, especially too much or more likely too little potassium, that can cause heart beat problems too.

Now supposedly the heart actually prefers to burn ketones for fuel as opposed to glucose. The 'prefers' there I believe refers to it operating more efficiently on ketones.

The diet is only an instrument; you have to want to use it. ... It is necessary for you to have respect for your body for you to use this tool [the Atkins' Diet]. It's the only body you'll be issued. You've got to spend the rest of your life in it. You must treat it like your greatest possession; you must become a kind of "health nut." -- Robert C. Atkins, M.D.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ASHLEY2HAWAII
Stats: 196/183/125
WOE: ATKINS 72
Start Date: RESTART 7-8-14
I had that too, went to cadioligist and found nothing, chaged primary care Dr. and blood work showed Hypo thyroid was the problem and causing the heart problems. Either way you really should have this check out by a Dr.
Good luck!
ASHLEY2HAWAII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lumbeepride713
Stats: 353/330/190
WOE: Atkins/gluten free
Start Date: restart 3/22/11
yea...i get them all the time....problem is used to think it was always my hypthyroid acting up until i found out i was anemic (which this is a symptom of) and recently found out i was vitamin d deficiant and again this can be a symptom....and lets not forget gluten sensitivity.....

so there are many things in my life that can cause it.......
lumbeepride713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TamTam34
Stats: 170/136/130 5'5
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Feb 6, 2011
I had the same problem! I also saw a cardiologist who recorded some of my "skips" he said it was nothing.. Apparently, it is one of the symptoms of candida, since I started Atkins, (no sugar at all) I don't get them very much if at all now, I feel much better! I have no definitive proof it was candida, but they are pretty much gone. I love my WOE!
TamTam34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fourstubbs
Stats: 225/220/142.3/135
WOE: IDEAL PROTEIN
Start Date: Restart July 2012
My heart used to flutter or palpitate a couple times a month or so. When I was stressed, it would continue. Went to the doctor, hooked me up to a holter monitor, they found NOTHING! I remember one bad episode, hit me pretty hard one day.. I just have it, never knew it could be thyroid related or candida related. HMMM.. Also, come to think of it, I haven't had one in a long while, perhaps it is lowcarb living? I am happy that yours went away though!
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote