Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   General Health/Medical Issues (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/)
-   -   sleepy after (low-glycemic) meals (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/713870-sleepy-after-low-glycemic-meals.html)

SueinCali 03-15-2011 02:42 PM

sleepy after (low-glycemic) meals

I am not really doing strict low carb, but I am eating virtually no starch or refined carbs, a huge reduction in carbs from my old all-cookie-rice-bread-and-pasta diet (not quite, but not so far from the truth, either). Still I come home from my part-time job in the early afternoon, eat lunch, and then have a sometimes irresistible urge to fall asleep, just about every day.

Before I cut carbs I always thought this was due to a huge blood sugar rise and drop from my former diet. But when I started eating lower-carb, I bought a blood glucose meter. I've tested many times during this "sleep attack" phase, so I know that it is not now due to low blood sugar. My blood sugar is often in the 90s or even the 80s when the sleepiness comes on.

I thought it might be the high fat in my lower-carb meals, but today my lunch was 1.5 cups of leftover stir-fry -- chicken, yellow onion, bell pepper, broccoli, cauliflower cooked in sesame oil and a small amount of soy and teriyaki sauce, the only refined carbs). Anyway, 20 minutes after this modest meal, on came the urge to crash. Instead I resisted and wrote this message. Any thoughts?

ravenrose 03-15-2011 07:47 PM

are you getting a full 8 hours of restful sleep at night? I suspect it's just normal sleepiness. almost everyone in our society tries to get by on too little sleep. it's been shown that too little sleep is VERY unhealthy, doesn't support good thinking or decisions, and can make it hard to lose weight too. sleep well! *hug*

SueinCali 03-15-2011 09:41 PM

Could be

Thanks for your reply, ravenrose. It could be. I don't usually get a full eight hours of sleep. I try, but either I get to bed late preparing for work or something keeps me awake. Getting enough sleep *sometimes* helps with the sleep attacks, but not always. My husband never has these attacks even when he is very short on sleep.

SoCal_Nana 12-06-2012 03:30 PM

I get this too- even if I eat a low-carb burger- it does seem that the need to sleep is almost uncontrollable- I feel as if I could sit here in an upright position at my desk and zonk out- I have Googled reactive hypoglycemia- which seems like that's what it could be- Maybe I should use 10 minutes to eat and 50 to nap- hahaha

girondet 12-07-2012 02:35 PM

When I first cut my carbs drastically I felt a bit weak and shaky and sometimes tired or sleepy. I thought my blood sugar was low but it was not, just lower than I had been used to. That is sometimes called a false low on some diabetes forums, where it's a fairly common reaction to first low carbing. I hope it passes soon for you!

Bamboozled 12-19-2012 08:11 AM

Keto flu is normal. It goes away in time. I feel more energetic then ever now! I am able to get by on much less sleep then a year ago.