Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MichelleM
Stats: no ideaaa what I weigh:)
WOE: atkins
Start Date: did Atkins successfully in 2010.Got to goal.
hands going numb!

Almost every night lately my hands are going numb and still. Its pretty painful. NOT like the pins and needles that you get when your body part falls asleep but just an overall subtle numbness and tingliness.

Im wondering if it has anything to do with the amount of artificial sweetners I use??

I drink some sf syrup with my 3 cups of coffee in the morning. Then I take 2 o-4 diet sodas to work. Then at night I sometimes have more coffee with sweetner.

Ya think this has anything to do with this odd numbness?

My mom has carpel tunnel. My doc just suggested to take some 'Alleve' before bed.

Any ideas?? THANX!
MichelleM is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
This happens in the evening or during the night when you are sleeping?

If it happens when you are sleeping, you might be pinching something in your neck when you lie down..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:00 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: raini
WOE: mostly raw vegan
Start Date: February 2013
I had a bad attack of carpel tunnel last spring... I pretty much have it all the time, but this was so bad I couldn't stand the pain and ended up at the doc's while we were on vacation. He put me on 800 mg of Motrin, then had me ice my wrist for 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off for an hour several times a day. Also put my hand in a splint. By the third day of doing this, I was pretty much back to normal. (Oh yeah... he also told me to stop some of the exercises I'd been doing. Said the repetitive motion was probably the culprit. Seems like your doc should have asked you a few more questions... try to find out the problem instead of just expecting drugs to cover up the pain.)

On another thread, however, someone recently said that aspartame has been causing her hands to go numb. She cut way back and said it helped. Started up again, and the numbness returned. If the sodas you're drinking have (NutraSweet) you might try cutting back and see if it helps.

(Didn't mean to take a pot shot at your doctor... I just like to know what the cause of a problem is. Sounds like that's what you want to know, too.) Let us know what you figure out!
raini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:28 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Thnx Caroline and Raini.

Carolyn..about the way I sleep, Why would it happen in BOTH hands?? Im artist and I use my hands to sculpt about 5 hours a day too, BUT still I mainly use the right hand, so having both go numb seems odd.

I agree Raini about the doctor. She pretty much laughed and said to get some 'Aleve'. Id prefer to get to the reasons behind it rather than to mask it too with drugs!

Ill keep you posted!
Old 09-15-2010, 10:11 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Susan_C
Stats: 145/125/120
WOE: moderate carbs
This was happening to me in both hands and was really scary. -It would wake me up in the middle of the night and give me a moment of panic when I couldn't feel my fingers! I had back x-rays which showed bone spurs in my neck that were pinching on a nerve. (I had surgery/spinal fusion for childhood scoliosis and spurs have developed just above my fusion as a part of the aging process.)

Anyway, the doctor gave me some neck exercises to do which helped a tiny bit. She also recommended that I buy a special pillow that helps relieve pressure on the nerves. There are quite a few such pillows out there, but the one I bought based on all the great reviews, was the Cervical Linear Traction Neck Pillow from Arc4life. This pillow has literally changed my life. My hands don't go numb any more, and I hardly ever have neck pain or a stiff neck. I also like that it looks like a regular pillow once it's inside the pillow case, which not all of these sorts of pillows do.

Last edited by Susan_C; 09-15-2010 at 10:12 AM..
Susan_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:43 AM   #6
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
The pain I had turned out to be carpal tunnel, and I had both wrists operated on --two months apart. However, I NOW know that my carpal tunnel was caused by undiagnosed hypothyroid, and had I been correctly diagnosed and medicated, neither surgery would have been necessary.

So any carpal tunnel pain should raise suspicions of hypothyroid.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mercuryfan
Stats: Fat Swine Pig
WOE: Vegetarian
Start Date: 09/15/03
Your B12 might be low.

I have a B12 deficiency, I try to keep it at a normal level by taking B12 supplements.

When my hands start getting numb and tingly, its usually because my B12 level is low.
Mercuryfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

thanx for sharing everyone. Leo, Ive heard that the carpel tunnel surgery sometimes DOESNT WORK well anyway. My mom hasnt gotten it done even though the doctors have recommended it.

THank you for the hypothyroid idea. I will get it checked.

Mercury..How MUCH B-12 should a person take do you think?
Old 09-15-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
My surgery worked perfectly--both times.

After I was diagnosed, I asked my endo why carpal tunnel is listed as a 'symptom' of hypothyroid. He explained that with hypo (untreated), gradually all the tendons of the body swell, and the wrist is the only place where there's no room for the swelling--hence, the pain and numbness.

Ironically, even if my hand surgeon had suggested I get tested for thyroid, it wouldn't have done any good because it was during the 5-year period when my primary insisted that my thyroid was 'normal.' He was wrong, but that didn't help me. I finally self-referred to an endo when the symptoms were so overwhelming that I couldn't make it through a work day.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:25 AM   #10
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
Michelle.. Talk to your doctor hun... This could be a multitude of things... Like my feet were going numb.. They did bloodwork and found that my B12 was scary low.. I started getting B12 shots and the numbness went away.. So you can get a lot of opinions here on the site (like my first thought would be a circulation problem of some kind) but the best bet is to see the doctor and get a diagnosis.

And if it is a B12 problem like Mercury and I have they will give you a suggestion on how much to take because everyone is different..

Here is a good article explaining about B12 deficiency's... But again.. that might not even be the cause of your numbness..

http://symptomchecker.about.com/od/c...deficiency.htm

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:06 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TexasCountryGal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 15, 2010
My hands, arms and shoulders go to sleep, as well as the front of my thighs and feet. I have Spondylolisthese of C4-C5. Which means I have a vertebrae in my neck that is not lined up with the other vertebrae causing pain and the upper body numbness. When the numbness wakes me up I can change positions and the numbness goes away.

My lower body problems are probably from osteoarthritis in my lower back.

I would definitely check with your doctor to see what is going on.

I am 60 now, but have been having neck problems since my mid 30s.
TexasCountryGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:54 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Thanx Cheri. I plan to see my doc on Monday. Im uninsured so I go to a 'clinic'. The doctors there are really RN's I just found out.

Im hoping they can diagnose me properly. I dont think its a Vitamin B-12 deficiency because I read the symptoms and they didnt really apply to me.

I went to WEBMD.com and put in my symptoms. It still seems like a mystery to me. Ill keep u all posted and thanks for your concern.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:32 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susan41
Stats: 243/202/?
Start Date: July 4th 2013 sugar first, then LC august 25th
Not sure if this is of any relevence, but the very night i took my first BetaBlocker for high blood pressure, the problem of my arms going to sleep at night (tingling, then waking me up) went away completely.
susan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:24 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

HI all.

Just got my bloodwork results back.

VERY high cholesterol. The doc seemed concerned.
It was TOTAL 266
HDL 71
LDL 177

Doc suggested I LOWER my intake of reed meat, cheese etc. Eat more veggies and fruits, chicken and fish... and to see her again in 3 months. THe rest of my numbers were fine, thyroid etc.

I DO eat a HIGH amount of beef and cheese and mayo.

ANY THOUGHTS??
Old 09-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #15

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Numb hands, weight gain, and high cholesterol are all symptoms of hypothyroidism. Regular docs only check TSH which is not even a test of the thyroid-it's a test of the pituitary gland. TSH=thyroid stimulating hormone. My TSH never got out the "normal" range yet I had to have a total thyroidectomy last year. Check out this link to see if you have any other symptoms. You need free T3, free T4 and TPO Antibodies to rule out thyroid disease.

Long and Pathetic list of Hypothyroid Symptoms | Stop The Thyroid Madness

TSH – Why It’s Useless | Stop The Thyroid Madness
Old 09-21-2010, 06:47 PM   #16

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
I have carpel tunnel (diag. years ago) and both of my hands go to sleep when it is acting up. Sleeping with a splint on helps. Keeps the wrist in a good position. Thyroid...hmmm...may get mine rechecked too.
kittycitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:34 AM   #17

Gallery: kristina
Stats: 250/238.5/140
WOE: Weight Watchers online
Start Date: September 12 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM View Post
Thnx Caroline and Raini.

Carolyn..about the way I sleep, Why would it happen in BOTH hands?? Im artist and I use my hands to sculpt about 5 hours a day too, BUT still I mainly use the right hand, so having both go numb seems odd.

I agree Raini about the doctor. She pretty much laughed and said to get some 'Aleve'. Id prefer to get to the reasons behind it rather than to mask it too with drugs!

Ill keep you posted!
I had carpal tunnel show up in both hands...and I didn't even do repetitive work. It was very puzzling. She couldn't tell me a reason, and I finally had surgery on both, and haven't had a problem since. PS I don't know anyone who this surgery has not worked for

Last edited by kristina; 10-03-2010 at 05:37 AM..
kristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:01 AM   #18
Formerlychubchick

Gallery: CurveControl
Stats: 200/172.4/130
WOE: LC JUDD/TOPS
I am in the CT camp. That is exactly what my hands did at night. My doc had me sleep in hand/wrist splints and take Alleve. It really helped a lot. I did eventually have surgerey and it has been years now with no issues.

I hope you find relief.
CurveControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:09 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

3rd night with ZERO pain after wearing the hand splints!!

)
Old 10-04-2010, 07:03 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TexasCountryGal
Start Date: August 15, 2010
The more I read in this health section, the more I believe medical care is not what it used to be. I don't know if it is the insurance companies controlling what doctors can and cannot do and prescribe, or whether our educational system has failed to the point that doctors are not being trained well anymore.
TexasCountryGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #21

Gallery: kristina
Stats: 250/238.5/140
WOE: Weight Watchers online
Start Date: September 12 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM View Post
3rd night with ZERO pain after wearing the hand splints!!

)
kristina is offline   Reply With Quote