Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
gallbladder?

I have had gallbladder attacks in the past when low fat dieting but the last few weeks I seem to be having symptoms similar to what I experienced then but not quite the same. In the past I mostly just got the severe pain in the rib area and it would pass in a couple of hours but now I have gained a couple of pounds and feel bloated on just a couple of bites of food. I feel nauseated if I don't take anti-nausea meds at least twice a day. I also feel flushed and get cold sweats with any exertion. I am exhausted as it has affected my sleep for a couple of nights now. The only pain I have is in my mid back area. Does this sound like gallbladder?
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2010, 07:39 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I'm amazed that you had gall bladder attacks when eating low fat because when my gall bladder was acting up, eating low fat was the only way to deal with the attacks.

Are you taking anti-nausea medication on a doctor's advice? I ask because if I were so ill that I needed medication to control my nausea, I'd be seeing a physician.

Your symptoms could be gall bladder--as well as several other GI issues. ALL of them are potentially serious so it's important to see a doctor before you wind up in the ER. It's far easier to deal with gall bladder (as an example) before it becomes so critical that you need emergency surgery.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Leo
The gallbladder attacks in the past when eating low fat I am assuming were more from rapid weight loss than the low fat diet itself? I feel much better today I have my appetite back but still have what I would call a mild stitch in my side that to me is a pretty good indicator that it is gallbladder before with it more mid back pain I wasn't sure what to think.
I know I should see a Dr. but I have been putting it off. The anti nausea meds I do have a prescription for. Do you still have a gallbladder and eat low carb without problems?
Old 08-30-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
Senior LCF member

If the gall bladder attacks in the past were from rapid weight loss, why wasn't your gall bladder removed? I ask because my GI doc told me that they usually see stones from rapid weight loss, and when you have stones (and attacks) they will always advise removal.

My problem is that they could never find anything wrong with my gall bladder, despite severe attacks, and my doc told me that in his experience, that can happen. Removal wasn't an option for me because my doc said that since they couldn't find a cause, I might still have the problem after surgery. Since I could control the attacks by eating low fat, that's what he advised.

So that's why I still have my gall bladder. I ate very low fat (and low carb) for a few months, and then I was able to gradually increase my fat intake. I don't eat the high fat that most people here write about because I can't, but I do fine on low carb and moderate fat. I haven't had a full-blown attack in years, but if I should happen to eat too much fat, I can immediately 'feel' it and know not to continue.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Leo.
I never went to a Dr. regarding my gallbladder. I am just going by the symptoms and having watched my mother have attacks with hers over the years makes me feel pretty certain that is where the problem lies. My mom had symptoms for many years and like me would get unexplained bouts of nausea and vomiting but was still able to keep hers for many many years. Actually her symptoms had all but stopped but when she went to the Dr. for what she thought was an ulcer they said the gallbladder needed to be removed. I know I should go and get an official diagnosis and treatment but I am a big chicken!
Old 08-30-2010, 03:31 PM   #6
Senior LCF member

You really should go to the doctor! The problem is that the actual removal surgery is very easy, but if you wind up with 'complications' (like having to have it done as an emergency), you can get all kinds of complications. It's really dangerous to put it off.

When I first had attacks, my primary doctor advised me to have my gall bladder out ASAP because it is such a 'routine' procedure. But, as I mentioned, they could never find anything wrong. But I was all set to have it removed because two of my sisters have had theirs removed (years ago) and have had no digestive problems subsequently. They can eat fat, etc. with no problems.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:55 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Okay okay I'll go to the Dr. If they do want to remove it maybe I could have it done around Christmas when I have lots of time off work anyway.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:47 AM   #8
Senior LCF member

One woman at my former office (I'm retired) had her gall bladder removed on a Thursday and was back at work on Monday!

If they can do it via 'laporascopy,' (which they prefer), you don't have a real incision (just a few punctures), and the recovery time is just a few days.

Good luck with this!
Old 09-02-2010, 01:22 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
One woman at my former office (I'm retired) had her gall bladder removed on a Thursday and was back at work on Monday!

If they can do it via 'laporascopy,' (which they prefer), you don't have a real incision (just a few punctures), and the recovery time is just a few days.

Good luck with this!
I wish my recovery time was a few days like that lady's. I had it done in 12/98. I had just been laid off of a place I'd worked for a little over 19 years 3 weeks before surgery. I'd already had the surgery scheduled. Ended up it wasn't a few days and they did to it via laporascopy but I was glad I wasn't working at the time - more like almost 2 weeks. Of course, I'm sure age matters in these things too. I was 49 at the time, but who knows and everyone's different.

I was glad when it was done and over with.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:54 AM   #10
Bike Tart

Gallery: mamagiff
WOE: general low carb
Mine was done via laproscopy and I was home 3 hours after surgery....I was lucky, no complications.....surgery on Monday, 11 mile bike ride on Friday, 30 mile bike ride the following Monday (that was a bit too much but I was just over tired when I got home)....the first couple of days after surgery just felt like I had done a really difficult ab workout....
mamagiff is offline   Reply With Quote