Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
BPM
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BPM
Low Body Temperature

As I have mentioned here before, I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks. I had my thyroid checked and they were either at the lower end of normal or the higher end, so I have been taking 5mcg of cytomel (T3) 2x a day now for 3 months and do not really notice a difference in my extreme tiredness, fatigue or energy.

Anyways, I have noticed lately that my anxiety attacks have been increasing for no reason where I would get hot and flushed all of the sudden and get prickly skin from the hot flash so I have been taking my temp and it's been around 97.3 during these episodes. Other times, like years ago, I would have the oposite. My temp would be closer to 100 during these attacks, though the ones at night woke me up and I was freezing.

I have been trying to do some searching on low body temp and anxiety and found this:

Wilson's Temperature Syndrome

All of the symptoms seem to fit me, but those symptoms also fit so many other problems.

Anyone have any ideas about the low body temp and the triggering of anxiety attacks? It is 101 degrees outside right now and only 6:20PM, I feel warm, but again, my temp is 97.3.

Is there something else for the thyroid I should ask my Dr. about or ask for an increase in my Cytomel?
BPM is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DooneBug
Stats: 232/216/160
WOE: Low Carb/Strength Training
Start Date: August 2010
I have similar complaints. After many years of borderline blood tests and disengaged doctors, my hypothyroidism is finally showing up and will soon be treated.

I also have PCOS and that shares many symptoms with hypothyroidism.
DooneBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:29 AM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
If you haven't had any blood tests since taking the Cytomel, you should get some done now. At the very least, you need to have your T4 and T3 checked to see how the Cytomel has affected your thyroid.

It seems odd to me for you to be on T3 and not T4 because hypothyroid treatment usually begins in the opposite way--i.e., T4 and later T3.

Perhaps you were Rx-ed the Cytomel for another reason? It's been used successfully for depression.

The reason I suggest blood tests is that your T4 may be low or your T3 may be too high. Once you start a med like Cytomel, you should be monitored.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
BPM
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BPM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
If you haven't had any blood tests since taking the Cytomel, you should get some done now. At the very least, you need to have your T4 and T3 checked to see how the Cytomel has affected your thyroid.

It seems odd to me for you to be on T3 and not T4 because hypothyroid treatment usually begins in the opposite way--i.e., T4 and later T3.

Perhaps you were Rx-ed the Cytomel for another reason? It's been used successfully for depression.

The reason I suggest blood tests is that your T4 may be low or your T3 may be too high. Once you start a med like Cytomel, you should be monitored.
Yes, I plan on going in this week to get tests done. It's been almost 5 months since I have been taking the cytomel, so we shall see...
BPM is offline   Reply With Quote