Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 12:36 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Probiotics for Constipation?

Any one use these for constipation and if so did it work. Thanks JUlie
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2010, 10:52 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizski
Stats: 312/149/150
WOE: Primal Atkins
They helped Mr. Ski very much. I've always been "regular" but take them anyways as they have a lot of great benefits. Acidophilus Pearls is a popular brand that Mr. Ski still uses. I have a yeast overgrowth problem right now so I'm using a much more powerful probiotic.

Keep in mind that probiotics are not laxatives. They help your digestive system function better.
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:05 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tinytan
Stats: 100 4/11
WOE: mod carbs/no sugar
Start Date: August 2009
They actually made me worse, making sure I took the whole course several times each time blocking me up. But what works for me is magnesium, St Milk Thistle and Digestive Enzymes. Good luck Julie!
Tinytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Thanks guys, I did order some from Netrition, so I will try them. Magnesieum was working for me, but it just seemed to quit. What type of Mag are you using? TIA JUlie
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #5
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTSDALEJULIE View Post
Thanks guys, I did order some from Netrition, so I will try them. Magnesieum was working for me, but it just seemed to quit. What type of Mag are you using? TIA JUlie
I use Natural Calm Julie and it works like a charm for me. Tried the Probiotics but I like Natural Calm so much better. The flavored one is especially good!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: fawn
Fat and flora are your best digestive normalizing substances. Using magnesium citrate therapeutically rather than getting your flora in balance will only cause problems later. We have more bacteria than we have cells....make sure yours is balanced.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #7
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post
Fat and flora are your best digestive normalizing substances. Using magnesium citrate therapeutically rather than getting your flora in balance will only cause problems later. We have more bacteria than we have cells....make sure yours is balanced.
Can you give us an idea of a good probiotic, Fawn? With your statement about magnesium citrate I have some concerns about the Natural Calm product.

Thanks!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #8

My favorite Linda is Dr. Ohiras. It's expensive but works. You might look for 10+ billion CFU's (that's colony forming units) if you've got major issues and 3-5 if moderate. Keeping the probiotics healthy with prebiotics is also necessary and this is achieved with garlic, onions, and some leafy greens and some fruits, teas and chocolate.

I don't mind magnesium supplementation and encourage it but not citrate. I prefer glycinate. It's a more bio available form....less harsh.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:29 PM   #9

Gallery: Meek75
WOE: Whole Foods. No Sugar
Quote:
My favorite Linda is Dr. Ohiras.
Fawn, thanks for sharing. I have been using Pearl Probiotics lately. I will try the brand you recommended.
Meek75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:31 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CarlynB
Stats: 186.5/167.5/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 14, 2010
Hmm.. I'd like to understand about this as well. I'm taking Natural Calm to help me sleep at night, and it is helping me very much. I don't take the regular recommended dosage, but about 1.5 tsps. If I take any more than that it has a very strong laxative effect, which I don't like.

Is the calming effect from the amount I'm taking just "the placebo effect" in action?
CarlynB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
I wasn't really having constipation issues, but I started taking the Solaray 12 billion's and Thorne lactobicilius sporenges at breakfast and dinner and those really help me out a lot. I was eating yogurt before that but I haven't been recently.

I've been using magnesium glycinate also as I've heard that is a good form of it that doesn't have much of a 'loosening' effect.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:48 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
Constipation indicates something is wrong and it's Not healthy.

I had been on low carb for about a year when I had enough of it...the constipation, that is. I tried acidophilus to no avail. I was having other symptoms that told me something was wrong. My period became 9 days long and erratic, very painful, heavy flow with lots of clotting, headaches, body aches, slow healing, and poor skin tone.

Ultimately, I discovered that removing meat, eggs, dairy, and my beloved low carb bread was the cure. The first three don't contain any fiber. Fiber is important for regular, full bowel movements. The immune system starts in the intestine. Compromise that and the immune system is compromised.

I upped my veggies to at least 50% of my diet. Raw and cooked. It took a few days for things to start moving again, but it did.

I am transitioning to a mostly raw and low glycemic diet. Adhering to a diet like a religion is like having blinders on because we don't pay attention to the subtle messages our body is sending us, and we try to fix the problem at the symptom level rather than at the heart of the problem. Your body is trying to tell you something, and I applaud you for taking notice. You just have to figure out what it is trying to tell you.
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:20 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Looweewoo
Stats: 420/275/220 - 6'2"
WOE: Carnivore/T2 Diabetic
Start Date: Restart@350 09/17/09 The best is yet to come!
For me, removing fiber was the most important thing in my diet for bowel health. Fiber irritates the bowel to stimulate a movement, but it also irritates IBS and Diverticulitis, causing me constant distress. Yes, I had regular movements. No, it wasn't healthy.

I found that rebuilding intestinal health meant allowing my bowels to move at their own rate. Rebuilding the lining with a wide variety of fats, giving it time to rest, learning that "regular" doesn't mean "daily" in every case. The mucus membrane needs to regrow, the peristaltic muscles need to regain strength (excessive vegetable waste encourages weak muscles) and I needed to get over the habit of stimulating a movement just because it was "time" to have one.

It's true that dairy can be binding, and that intestinal flora supplements are often necessary (Especially if, like me, you no longer have an appendix), but beyond that a low carb diet doesn't necessarily mean a constipating diet. The laxative companies, the fiber supplement manufacturers and the vegetarians have taught us that we should excrete like herbivores and I just think that's incorrect.
Looweewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:41 AM   #14

I too am without appendix loo. I call it an Insurance scam because it was during exploratory surgery for an ovarian cyst when I was 13. "Oh we took her appendix too just in case" I want it back now!

Yes miboje, our immune system is our digestive system and constipation is not a healthy state........I have had great success with my very low carb clients increasing their fat and flora without pushing the fiber, especially raw. There is great evidence that a high raw fiber diet can stunt the tips of the microvilli permanently so I'm very careful especially if the client comes to me with dysbiosis to begin with.

Many of my clients are raw/vegetarian and I'm assisting them in repairing their guts....just my experience.

Do listen to your body as this feeling of wellness could be temporary without the animal protein. It's common.....I wish you much success in finding your right way!

Last edited by fawn; 07-14-2010 at 09:43 AM..
Old 07-27-2010, 07:26 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
I also had my healthy appendix removed years ago during an unrelated surgery. Now they discover it may have a function after all.

I spent a lot of time reading the website at fibermenace.com and gutsense.com. There is a lot of information there. I started taking Ultimate Flora Critical Care first thing in the morning. It contains a lot of probiotics and FOS, a prebiotic. I bought it at Whole Foods. I was looking for a probiotic that included a prebiotic. I am also taking some probiotics that I already had in the refrigerator.

I take a variety of other supplements as well, and just started taking cod liver oil. I don't think that has anything to do with this, but thought I would mention it.

I'm no longer supplementing with fiber. I'm getting my fiber from foods. I still occasionally eat flaxseed in foods for its many benefits, but no more Metamucil, Citrucel, wheat bran, etc.

My problem has turned around. No more pain! This easy solution worked for me! I don't even need Colace any more!

I hope this helps.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:53 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: luckwillcome
Stats: 160/135/115 : 5'5
WOE: no sugar,flour,salt
Before sleep : Apple cider vinegar 3 table spoons ( in sparkling water, doesn't taste so bad) + magnesium later. works like a charm in the morning at least for me
luckwillcome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:31 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sarah_tko
Stats: 5'7"/150/goal 130
WOE: Atkins/Organic, whole foods
I am one who had to remove pretty much all fiber. Roughage completely binds me. I know it is not typical. Grains, potatoes, fruits=extreme GI misery. I went to so many GI doctors and no one could figure out my constipation, I've dealt with it my whole life. If I eat too much fiber, I am just bloated, constipated, and my weight goes up.
sarah_tko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:51 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: wendysmiling
Stats: 250/128 now 200/154/135 5'5"
I have (had) severe constipation and this was the only thing that worked for me...even when Miralax, Dulcolax, enemas & Metamucil did nothing to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
I use Natural Calm Julie and it works like a charm for me. Tried the Probiotics but I like Natural Calm so much better. The flavored one is especially good!
wendysmiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dbagood
Pearls

I got them for the same reason & they work GREAT on me. Which is usual, usully nothing works. Deb
dbagood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jillheras
I find that using digestive enzymes with each meal works great!
Jillheras is offline   Reply With Quote