Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ketchum68
Stats: 190/186/135
WOE: Low carb
Anyone ever try Oil Pulling?

What were your results? What kind of oil do you use? Thanks!
ketchum68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
if you search oil pulling you will find lots of post. Most peeps use coconut oil ..
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:45 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jodi
Stats: 260/238/130
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Sept 8th 2009
It worked for me....I got lazy and didn't buy any more Sesame oil when I ran out but it does work...WARNING ---if you are squeamish don't read past the arrows

->
->

I had asthma bad as a kid and lots of bronchiolar problems...anyway I still on occasion suffer from coughing fits etc.
Anyway after 2 days of oil pulling I was in the bathroom and needed to cough. I felt a sharp pain in my chest and coughed up this disgusting green thick mucus string, about the width of a snow pea and it was hard. So the oil pulling must have helped dislodge it either from my lung or throat or wherever. My skin also looked GREAT my eczema cleared up...my dry skin got a lot lot better...my teeth got a LOT whiter...and my gums are mega healthy now. I also noticed when I got my yearly cleaning the hygenist told me that my gums were tighter around my teeth and a lot healthier. I need to start doing it again...*anyway* use 2 tlbs and do it for 20 mins before brushing your teeth...then get a cup of hot water...put in a squirt of lemon juice and swish with it...and then rinse your mouth to make sure the citrus doesn't damage your enamel and then brush again...it really really works! You can see the junk come out in the oil after a few days...its foamy and gross. This really works. If you look under your tongue you will see a thick vein...this is supposedly where the toxins come out and they are drawn out from your throat as well.

Hope this helps!
Jodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:48 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Oh! and they say that you should keep to Sesame oil for at least 2 weeks as its the most effective then you can try other oils...
Old 06-26-2010, 08:27 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: KrisA
Stats: 160/120/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/21/08
I have to get back to this again. I had continuous company and there was no way I could fit it into my schedule.

It made my teeth whiter. I felt better and my elbows and heels were nice and soft and smooth. Amazing stuff.

k
KrisA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:52 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: fawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
It worked for me....I got lazy and didn't buy any more Sesame oil when I ran out but it does work...WARNING ---if you are squeamish don't read past the arrows

->
->

I had asthma bad as a kid and lots of bronchiolar problems...anyway I still on occasion suffer from coughing fits etc.
Anyway after 2 days of oil pulling I was in the bathroom and needed to cough. I felt a sharp pain in my chest and coughed up this disgusting green thick mucus string, about the width of a snow pea and it was hard. So the oil pulling must have helped dislodge it either from my lung or throat or wherever. My skin also looked GREAT my eczema cleared up...my dry skin got a lot lot better...my teeth got a LOT whiter...and my gums are mega healthy now. I also noticed when I got my yearly cleaning the hygenist told me that my gums were tighter around my teeth and a lot healthier. I need to start doing it again...*anyway* use 2 tlbs and do it for 20 mins before brushing your teeth...then get a cup of hot water...put in a squirt of lemon juice and swish with it...and then rinse your mouth to make sure the citrus doesn't damage your enamel and then brush again...it really really works! You can see the junk come out in the oil after a few days...its foamy and gross. This really works. If you look under your tongue you will see a thick vein...this is supposedly where the toxins come out and they are drawn out from your throat as well.

Hope this helps!
Wow! That's fascinating!
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:52 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Molly Bloom
Stats: 280/231/150
WOE: Counting Carbs
Start Date: 03/21/2010
Fellow Oil Pullers.....sigh, I just love this.

It was my group on a natural health forum that actually made OP explode on the internet. I read this very small paragraph in a book by Andreas Moritz, a Ayurvedic guru, and decided to start a forum on Curezone. The forum is still going very strong over 4+ years later. My forum posters have spread it far and wide in sites all over the world. We could barely find any info on it back then. I have even been contacted by the famous Col. Rao who yelled at me because I was suggesting using other oils than sesame and sunflower.

So, after years of diving into this subject I have come up with a theory as to why this works. This after talking extensively with a good friend of my father's, a noted chemical biologist.

Your mouth is a breeding ground of bacteria. Little infections and plaque and tartar. While this bacteria grows, you swallow it. The bacteria in turn attacks your organs. My Dad's friend believes that the acids in the oils attract the bacteria, which you spit out. That the acids work better than conventional alcohol washes. Removing that bacterial load from your mouth everyday is what causes people to feel healthier, and of course plaque and tartar are melted away.

I really do believe that there is sublingual absorption of the good properties of the oil as well. I came up with that theory reading pharmaceutical patents for sublingual medication. They all have an acid as a transporter, like oleic, etc. But this is just a theory. People have reported enhancements to their skin, hair and nails over and over again.

One of our former posters, Bruce Fife wrote a book on Oil Pulling. It's a pretty good book, but I am not supporting him. He stole everything from our forum and Earthclinic, and quoted our posters without asking permission, nor giving the website any creds.

So, if you all want to ask me ANYTHING about OP, I'm here. I've seen it all, heard it all.

I'm OPing right now as I'm typing this! And yes Col Rao, I'm using Sesame Oil dude.

Does my heart good to see this. Everyone should OP. It's almost crazy not to for the health of your teeth.

Last edited by Molly Bloom; 06-26-2010 at 09:00 AM..
Molly Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:57 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Oh and Jodi, after you OP try to use sea salt in warm water to rinse. It's good for your dental health and cuts the oil very well. I would worry about the citrus on your enamel IMO.

BTW, OP does seem to bring up mucus from the lungs. It is amazing for this, and if I have any lung complaints I do it over and over until I'm not coughing up anything. You are right on, it does help.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:31 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
I have not tried it yet. But after reading some about it I am definitely going to start! I'm planning to use the Nutiva coconut oil I got from netrition. I might also try sesame oil because I love that taste as well.

Does it matter when you OP? Some things I saw said to do it on an empty stomach. Is that necessary?
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:35 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: halos
Stats: (275)256/242/140
Start Date: 9/24/2013
I use sesame oil. Noticed whiter teeth right away. I started because of chronic sinus issues. It really does help.
halos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:54 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: becky123abc
Stats: 205/199/160 5'5.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
Does it matter when you OP? Some things I saw said to do it on an empty stomach. Is that necessary?

I'd like to know the answer to this too! Every morning I get up and take my vitamins with a big glass of water...could I do it after taking the vits and drinking the water, or does it need to be done before?
becky123abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:59 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cheezee
Stats: (250+highest)start 214/182/<140... ?
WOE: >20 carbs a day
Start Date: Nov 09
What the heck are you all talking about!? Need to Google. Are you all just swishing oil around in your mouth?
Cheezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: becky123abc
Stats: 205/199/160 5'5.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezee View Post
What the heck are you all talking about!? Need to Google. Are you all just swishing oil around in your mouth?
Cheezee, you swish it around and you make it go inbetween your teeth...in and out, in and out...and then you spit it out.

All kinds of benefits...I'm going to go reread some too...
becky123abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:12 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goose1
Stats: 229/193.2/168.4/140
WOE: lchf
Start Date: Jan 02/14
What other oils can you use for oil pulling? Do you have to buy the oil from the health food store or can you use oil from the grocery store?

Last edited by goose1; 06-26-2010 at 10:28 AM..
goose1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:39 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DaBigGuy
Stats: 470/418/200
WOE: VLC
Start Date: May 2010
I tried this this morning.About 10 minutes into it I tilted my head back just a little bit and gagged.I got a nice bit down the 'ol shoot.I spit it out after that.Did it about a total of 12 minutes.The oil looked like white foam when it came out.I noticed for the next couple hours the extra mucus I was coughing up.I will give it a shot again tomorrow morning.
DaBigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

OP Queen here :-)

It doesn't matter when you OP. The old school were purists about when you eat etc. But really it doesn't matter.

Don't tilt your head back, just gently swish in and out of your teeth. You don't want to start your gag reflex or you will end up spitting it all over the place.

This will not pull vitamins etc out of your system, that is a myth that's been going around. It actually doesn't pull anything out (except mucus it seems), but simply melts the bacteria off your teeth, which you spit out.

DO NOT sit at the computer and read something funny while OPing. This will result with spewing the oil all over your monitor. Believe me, I've done this more time than you can know....it's gross.

We had a guy with a microscope look at the oil after he spit it out. There are parasites in the early stage of development in your mouth too. That was sort of freaky. There are more things going on in your mouth than you would ever care to think of.

Do not swish with the toasted Sesame Oil, it should be the unrefined kind. I have OPed with Sesame, Sunflower, Coconut, Walnut, Flax, Udo's, Palm Oil, Almond, Macadamia...just about any oil I could get my hands on.

If you want a fantastic anti-bacterial, go to the health food store and get some Oil of Oregano. Put ONE DROP in your swishing oil and it will kill infections in your gums. It's amazingly effective. But just note, this is nature's most powerful anti-biotic and should only be used sparingly, just like you would a course of any anti-biotic. Every 3 months or so you can do this for a week - 10 days max.

Other's have used drops of peppermint oil, but this hurts my enamel.

Anyone that knows about OP and doesn't do it is nuts. You may not see the amazing teeth whitening, or any health effects, but boy, the next time you go to the dentist you will know. We've had forum members facing major gum surgery, and when they go in for a preexam, the dentist scratches their head wondering why the heck their pockets have shrunk so much a mere 4 weeks later. Oh yeah, the proof is in pudding as they say.

I'm extremely pleased this thread was started. This is one of the few things I've done in my life that I feel proud to be a part of.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:48 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

One more thing, since you guys on this forum seem to be my "peeps" now.....

One of the weird effects of OP was getting rid of Keratosis Pilaris, commonly known as chicken skin. I don't know if anyone has this, but it usually presents as redish bumpy skin (like goose bumps). One of my posters noticed her's had gone away, and sure enough my husband who has this big time on his arms and thighs, his was gone too. My poster started introducing this at the Keratosis Pilaris forum, and it's taken off. There is no known "cure" for KP, but the results are amazing. So it just makes you wonder....what exactly is OP doing that causes this change in one's skin? Food for thought.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/184.8/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
How long should one OP for? I used to OP with coconut oil but found it difficult to do it for many minutes.

Interesting...my eldest has that reddish bumpy skin, on her arms.

Also...you can use olive oil? Or peanut oil? I don't have any of the above oils listed.

Thanks for all the good info Molly
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

You are supposed to OP for 20 minutes total. You can break it up in a session, doing it for 5 minutes each if you like. It's not an exact science, but 20 minutes is what everyone does. I do it in the shower each morning getting ready for work.

Olive oil has been known to discolor some peoples teeth. Your enamel is porous, so it can soak up color, just like drinking red wine.

Peanuts are known for mold issues, and I try to stay away from anything peanut (even though I used to LOVE peanut butter). But that is my personal choice.

But seriously, you don't need to use expensive oils. Safflower Oil is fine, even though we all stay the hell away from corn here. I prefer cold pressed, unrefined oils, and organic if I can get it.

It's an easy thing really. You can't really do it wrong, you can't go wrong with most oils....easy breezy. But just wait until you get those teeth 2-10 shades whiter. That is the coolest thing ever.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:44 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 232/232/130
WOE: My Own Style of Low Carb
Start Date: March 2011
....Sorry if I sound dumb here...but what is oil pulling?! Read the posts so I am assuming you swish oil? Why and how do you do this? Fill me in.
BrooklynBellesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:52 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Looweewoo
Stats: 420/275/220 - 6'2"
WOE: Carnivore/T2 Diabetic
Start Date: Restart@350 09/17/09 The best is yet to come!
I tried it faithfully for 3 months and was not impressed. I assume it has some benefits but I didn't see them. At the very least it allows some medium chain fats to be absorbed into your system...

I might try it again, the first time was about 8 years ago when it came around on another LC forum. Maybe I'll get different results this time.
Looweewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:08 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Loo, you may never see the effects....until you go to the dentist. And thank you for saying that the chain fats may be absorbed. One of my resounding theories that can't be proven.

Brooklyn Mama, it's simply swishing oil around your mouth everyday. See above for the reasons why......suffice to say, it should be done like brushing your teeth.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:10 PM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kiley2801
This thread inspired me, and I tried it tonight w/ some coconut oil. Made it 10 minutes. I'm going to try to keep progressing till I make it to 20 straight! Thanks for all the tips!
Kiley2801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:13 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RockAttack
Stats: 200/151.1/140
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 2/29/2012
I haventr tr4ied it yet
RockAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MissBeth
Stats: 320/166.5/140
WOE: Atkins/Intermittent Fasting
Start Date: Jan. 19, 2008
I tried this a couple of years ago when I first found the LCF forum, but didn't establish it has a regular habit. With my dental issues (lots of crowns, fillings, and a couple of root canals), I think it's time to re-start.
As to time of day, I can't OP with coconut oil too close to bedtime - it kept me up all night with a racing heart. Works MUCH better for me in the morning.
MissBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:16 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Yes, some people have said it causes insomnia. I always do this in the morning, unless I have lung congestion. I have no idea why this happens, but what a pick me up in the morning, nevertheless.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:36 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 2kids2cats
Stats: 288/255/150
WOE: Atkins
Yeah, I started this with CO but didn't get into the habit. I need to start again!
2kids2cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:11 AM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly Bloom View Post
Oh and Jodi, after you OP try to use sea salt in warm water to rinse. It's good for your dental health and cuts the oil very well. I would worry about the citrus on your enamel IMO.

BTW, OP does seem to bring up mucus from the lungs. It is amazing for this, and if I have any lung complaints I do it over and over until I'm not coughing up anything. You are right on, it does help.

Thanks Molly I will try the salt!
I found it all on curezone....I LOVE that site...
Old 06-27-2010, 12:13 AM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynBellesMama View Post
....Sorry if I sound dumb here...but what is oil pulling?! Read the posts so I am assuming you swish oil? Why and how do you do this? Fill me in.

You aren't dumb...its not a common practice
Ok so I find it works best if you kinda suck it through your teeth as well...and suck and swish it around your mouth...
Old 06-27-2010, 12:15 AM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly Bloom View Post
I don't know if anyone has this, but it usually presents as redish bumpy skin (like goose bumps).

yeah! because don't they claim that within in the fat under 'chicken skin' there are stored toxins in the pores? maybe this is why....hence similar to cellulite...my brother and I both had this mine went away with a toxin flush years ago...and lots of lymphatic drainage massage