Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2010, 07:49 AM   #241
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
They say you can spit it out into your toilet if you're worried about your sink. I'd rather use the sink lol
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2010, 08:54 AM   #242
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
For the people oil pulling with the mercury fillings- have you thought about getting them removed and then getting composite/ceramic ones in the future?
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:50 AM   #243
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Molly Bloom
Stats: 280/231/150
WOE: Counting Carbs
Start Date: 03/21/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
For the people oil pulling with the mercury fillings- have you thought about getting them removed and then getting composite/ceramic ones in the future?
If you decide to do this, the removal must been done with high quality care. I had a girlfriend that had all of her's removed and believes she had a metal dump, and from that day on (5 years ago) she has suffered mysterious conditions, one being excema which has covered her body (she never had excema prior to the removal). They need to be removed almost like Haz Mat.
Molly Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #244
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
No, more damage done by having fillings drilled and removed. If you are worried about heavy metals leaching with fillings imagine how exposed you'd be drilling them out again. What's there stays there till it falls our or I die.

Quote:
. I've read that the junk you're spitting is so full of toxins that it can damage your pipes.
That doesn't make sense. Toxins are only damaging to living things. I doubt that pipes that can withstand caustic lye drain opener and acidic bathroom cleaners are going to be damaged by bodily bacteria and viruses. Pipes are made of metal and PVC plastic. they'd be no good to carry our refuse and be buried in soil if they could not resist bacterial exposure. I'm sorry but someone was pulling your leg.

BTW, chances of your pipes clogging are lower with pulled oil than with fresh oil because the lipase enzymes in your salive have mostly broken the oil down into fatty acids and they don't have the same texture, consistency or composition as pure oil. I'd guess it'd the same danger as if you washed oil from you hands with soap. Most people would not hesitate to do that.

I choose to spit in the trash can.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:47 AM   #245
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
No, more damage done by having fillings drilled and removed. If you are worried about heavy metals leaching with fillings imagine how exposed you'd be drilling them out again. What's there stays there till it falls our or I die.

Really? I would think it's healthier to just get them out than having a little mercury leeching out everyday. I never had mercury fillings- just composites.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:48 AM   #246
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly Bloom View Post
If you decide to do this, the removal must been done with high quality care. I had a girlfriend that had all of her's removed and believes she had a metal dump, and from that day on (5 years ago) she has suffered mysterious conditions, one being excema which has covered her body (she never had excema prior to the removal). They need to be removed almost like Haz Mat.
I don't have mercury fillings- only composites.

I think when you get them removed you need some sort of chelation therapy right after to get rid of the stuff that was ingested.

I can't believe that people still get them put in nowadays.

I would think the goal is to avoid mercury, not to willingly have it drilled into your mouth.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 07-18-2010 at 10:49 AM..
Old 07-18-2010, 12:06 PM   #247
Senior LCF Member

Ah, the wisdom of the ADA.

I would strongly suggest everyone read the writings of Dr. Robert O. Nara. He was a whistle blower of the ADA, and got kicked out because of it. He has a small pamphlet called Money by the Mouthful. You can google it. I can't post a link because they sell stuff on the main site.

Dr. Nara tells how dentists entering the industry do many unnecessary procedures to first pay off their dental school loans, and then to support their lifestyles. Now I don't believe that all dentists are unscrupulous, but my families experience with them have been less than optimal for our dental health. There is a study that says that those that go to their dentist every 6 months (as recommended and marketed by the ADA) have far fewer teeth at the end of their life than those that rarely go to the dentist.

He also tells how a very simple test of PH of the mouth will tell you all you need to know about your dental health. Bacteria causes acidity, and you should strive for an alkaline test result.

IMO, I think this might be one of the reason Oil Pulling is effective. Unfortunately Dr. Nara is deceased but it would have been so great to get his take on this modality.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:50 PM   #248

Quote:
I don't have mercury fillings- only composites.

I think when you get them removed you need some sort of chelation therapy right after to get rid of the stuff that was ingested.

I can't believe that people still get them put in nowadays.

I would think the goal is to avoid mercury, not to willingly have it drilled into your mouth.
That.

The amount of heavy metals measured in the body is much higher after having fillings drilled out than in folks who just have them.

A small dose over your lifetime may never cause any trouble, but a large dose exposure just for the sake of taking them out and replacing them, is a huge exposure. I don't know if mine are amalgams or straight metal but unless I were having symptoms in direct relationship with the material of the fillings, I'd leave well enough alone and if one fell out, I 'd get a safer replacement.

Sometimes it's safer to leave the bullet than to pull it.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:06 PM   #249

Gallery: fawn
Quote:
That.

The amount of heavy metals measured in the body is much higher after having fillings drilled out than in folks who just have them.

A small dose over your lifetime may never cause any trouble, but a large dose exposure just for the sake of taking them out and replacing them, is a huge exposure. I don't know if mine are amalgams or straight metal but unless I were having symptoms in direct relationship with the material of the fillings, I'd leave well enough alone and if one fell out, I 'd get a safer replacement.

Sometimes it's safer to leave the bullet than to pull it.
Yep, I agree with you Metga. I thought about doing this at one time but have since decided to leave well enough alone and make sure my chlorophyll intake is good.

As a Real Estate agent, I"m not as concerned about the pipes as I would be the septic.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #250

Hmm, I wonder what would happen in a septic tank of an oil puller?

Uggs, sneezing through your nose,, while standing in front of your closet full of clothes,while trying not to spit a mouthful of oil... is Painful!
Old 07-18-2010, 01:25 PM   #251

Gallery: fawn
It creates a blanket on the top of the septic and can get into the leach field and cause problems. You always want to limit the amount of grease and oils going into the septic.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:31 PM   #252
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shars
Stats: 142/132/123
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart 05/26/10
Been using coconut oil for 1 month, 1 or 2x a day. Had a root canal and an extraction, and asked the dentist how my gums looked. He said great! No redness etc. I have always had gum problems. I have a cleaning, which I am actually looking forward to on the 3rd. so I will see when I have a more intensive exam....
shars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:10 PM   #253
Atkins Ambassador

Gallery: sugarless4life
Stats: 5'3 / 100 pounds / 56 yo /maintaining for 9 years
WOE: Lost it with Atkins / RUNNING to keep it off!
Start Date: January 19, 2002 -10 1/2 YEARS ON ATKINS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shars View Post
Been using coconut oil for 1 month, 1 or 2x a day. Had a root canal and an extraction, and asked the dentist how my gums looked. He said great! No redness etc. I have always had gum problems. I have a cleaning, which I am actually looking forward to on the 3rd. so I will see when I have a more intensive exam....
The proof is in the doing!!! Excited for you!!

Betty
sugarless4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:09 PM   #254
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shars
Stats: 142/132/123
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart 05/26/10
Thanks Betty, I see you around here....and I am impressed by you!
shars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:54 PM   #255
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hmm, I wonder what would happen in a septic tank of an oil puller?

Uggs, sneezing through your nose,, while standing in front of your closet full of clothes,while trying not to spit a mouthful of oil... is Painful!
I've actually had oil come out my nose!! I've also spewed (many times) reading something on my computer. My husband still swears the reason our keyboard stopped working is from this
Old 07-26-2010, 02:17 PM   #256
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RavenFox
Stats: 274/???/150?
WOE: Atkins With A Big Dash Of My Own Thing
Start Date: restarting May 31, 2010
Well, I did it for the first time today. I used Safflower oil (it was what I had around.) The taste was kind of non-existent and the texture was...well...oily. I didn't gag until I spit it out.

I only managed 10 minutes this first time, so I might try to do the other ten later today. What I spit out was really white and foamy. I brushed and my teeth feel so clean! Cleaner than when I brush only. No yucky aftertaste either, which I was worried about.

How long before it works on dry skin?
RavenFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:57 PM   #257
Senior LCF Member

It depends. Mileage definitely varies. Mostly we've seen the diminishing of Keratosis Pilaris, which is a different kind of skin condition. Also I found that taking a tablespoon of oil every morning (like Udo's Oil) also made a difference.

The big surprise is I did notice better skin and hair over time, but truly it was taking silica that I noticed the bit difference. I started a thread on that in the Vitamins and Supplements forum under Diatomaceous Earth. Now that stuff did make a huge difference.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #258
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Madger
WOE: vlc
I thought of this thread last night when putting on Crest Whitening Strips- so I'm reviving it with a few questions.

After reading a few pages- which oil is best, coconut or sesame? Which brand do you use? How long does a beginner start with- someone mentioned 20 minutes, but starting out, that is a long time.

Thoughts, advice, suggestions? Thanks!!
Madger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #259
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cavewoman
WOE: low carb / high fat + intuitive eating
Thanks for whoever bumped this! I read through the whole thread today and decided to give this a go. I'm OPing right now with refined coconut oil. For the first minute or so, it was really foul. The taste...the feeling..just -- ick. But after a couple of minutes, I got used to it. It's been about 15 minutes, and I really don't think I'll have a problem making it to twenty. This well definitely become part of my regular hygiene!

From now on, however, I will use unrefined/virgin coconut oil -- because I think the strong coconut flavor will be better than the weird refined taste. Might also add some stevia to it to make it more palatable. Do y'all think that's okay?
cavewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #260
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavewoman View Post
Thanks for whoever bumped this! I read through the whole thread today and decided to give this a go. I'm OPing right now with refined coconut oil. For the first minute or so, it was really foul. The taste...the feeling..just -- ick. But after a couple of minutes, I got used to it. It's been about 15 minutes, and I really don't think I'll have a problem making it to twenty. This well definitely become part of my regular hygiene!

From now on, however, I will use unrefined/virgin coconut oil -- because I think the strong coconut flavor will be better than the weird refined taste. Might also add some stevia to it to make it more palatable. Do y'all think that's okay?
After re-reading the whole thread, I think I will do what others mentioned, the Nutiva organic extra virgin. I still have to buy it but looking forward to starting it.

Truth is, I chipped a back tooth on a pistachio shell that caused me to have to get a crown recently. I'm already paranoid about having nice teeth, so my tooth chip made me feel awful- I'm going to start this, a healthy dental regimen.

I was interested in this thread when it first started, just kick myself now that I didn't begin this back when I initially read it and learned about OP.

Thank you to Molly Bloom and all others for all the helpful insight!!
Old 07-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #261
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emmaline
This thread is fascinating! Never heard of it, and will start tomorrow morning!

My mouth has felt gross after starting LC...
Emmaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:02 PM   #262

m'kay, so I got out of practice. but lately my teeth have been feeling furry, no matter the kind of brushing I do. Even my salt paste doesn't make 'em feel clean.

so seeing this thread bumped, I went this morning and pulled with virgin CO for 15 minutes then brushed with Tom's Toothpaste, then swished with half peroxide.

Not only did my teeth feel much cleaner, smoother, and completely de-furred, my teeth turned from this icky yellow to a creamy egg shell. ( my teeth have NEVER been white) Even after eating and egg, some cereal, and almond milk, my teeth still feel cleaner than when I just brushed them the night before.

Oil pulling really rocks.
I can feel the swelling in my gums going down and my mouth feels so clean and healthful.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #263
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 7doghouse
Stats: 180/155.2/135
WOE: Lacto-ovo vegetarian Atkins/LC
Start Date: Restart July 1, 2011
Just started OP last week with coconut oil. Hoping it will help my mild eczema and Keratosis pilaris On my upper arms. My teeth being whiter is an extra bonus
7doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:38 PM   #264
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 230/188/150
WOE: low carb / sustainable foods
Start Date: March 2011
I've had so much success with the two Indian health practices I've tried - oil-pulling and my neti pot - that I'm thinking I ought to look into others. Next step, the Kama Sutra.
katie in progress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:45 AM   #265
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: ArdMaine
Stats: 6' 230/230/199
WOE: General low carb, less than 25gm carbs, whole food
Start Date: 6/15/14
Hi...new here. Reading the earlier posts make me want to try. Today I swished with Coconut oil as that is what I had on hand. I could only swish approx. 5 mins, it made my jaw ache a bit. Perhaps I was too forceful with my swishing.

I brushed after as normal and there was but a tiny streak of blood. My gums NORMALLY bleed heavily everytime I brush. My gums FEEL nice, too. I look forward to continuing this and seeing more results!!
ArdMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:47 AM   #266
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rogjack6112
Stats: 205/173/165
WOE: mod low carb
Start Date: 1986/1996/2011
I was also impressed. The "soap" that I spit out the first time was more than the second. Has anyone seen what a dental hygenist says about this? Sure would make their cleaning easier.
rogjack6112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:51 AM   #267
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Subscribing...great thread!
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #268
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just placed my Netrition order for Nutiva CO. I can't wait to get it to try OP'ing!
Old 07-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #269

Gallery: Lony
Stats: 357/230/160
WOE: Atkins(ish)
Start Date: July 6 2011
After reading this thread I got really curious. My husband has sinus trouble, gum issues and ulcers. We are currently swishing as I type. I even have my mom doing it and she LOVES it. I guess we will see how it does for the DH. He seems like the perfect lab rat.

I will keep ya posted
Lony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:11 AM   #270
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AmyLiz
Stats: pregnant
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: April 3, 2011
I just tried this a moment ago. I used VCO, and it didn't taste bad, it was maybe a teaspoon's worth. I just took a couple hard pieces and stuck it between my bottom lip and bottom teeth until it melted. Right away, I started salivating like crazy, and that small teaspoon quickly became a whole mouthful. I was swishing away, and i only made it 10 minutes. I got that mucousy feeling in my throat and really felt the need to swallow, so I spit it out.

I'm doing this mostly because I haven't been to the dentist in years (no insurance), and have a lot of plaque and tartar buildup on my teeth. I also have a lot of sensitivity in my teeth, so i'm really hoping this will help.