Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 09:08 AM   #211
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Dreamchaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,771
Gallery: Dreamchaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly Bloom View Post
Don't you think that eating and chewing food might be as detrimental than swishing a bit of oil around your mouth?

Yeah, I've heard this before. If people are that worried about mercury, then you should have them removed.
I have no idea. That's why I asked the question. Not especially worried about it. Just happened to notice the thread in my search and thought I'd ask. Nothing wrong with that.

If anyone has mercury fillings and has been oil pulling on a consistent basis, I'd love to hear from you.
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2010, 09:15 AM   #212
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Dreamchaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,771
Gallery: Dreamchaser
I tried the OP using the rice bran oil last night and this morning. Not loving the taste of that particular oil for this. Rice brain oil = excellent for cooking, not so much for OP (for me anyway).

I have Nutiva CO and I'll be trying that one next time.

On a happy note, I was able to go for 15 minutes each time. Not bad for a beginner! And my teeth do seem cleaner already!
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:17 AM   #213
Senior LCF Member
 
Molly Bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 367
Gallery: Molly Bloom
Stats: 280/231/150
WOE: Counting Carbs
Start Date: 03/21/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamchaser View Post
I tried the OP using the rice bran oil last night and this morning. Not loving the taste of that particular oil for this. Rice brain oil = excellent for cooking, not so much for OP (for me anyway).

I have Nutiva CO and I'll be trying that one next time.

On a happy note, I was able to go for 15 minutes each time. Not bad for a beginner! And my teeth do seem cleaner already!
That is cool that you could swish that thick stuff for that long! I was worried that you might not like it, and it does have a strong flavor (I don't like it that much). If you can OP with that stuff for 15 minutes, every other oil will be a piece of cake...you're already an expert!!
Molly Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:18 AM   #214
Senior LCF Member
 
Molly Bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 367
Gallery: Molly Bloom
Stats: 280/231/150
WOE: Counting Carbs
Start Date: 03/21/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamchaser View Post
I have no idea. That's why I asked the question. Not especially worried about it. Just happened to notice the thread in my search and thought I'd ask. Nothing wrong with that.

If anyone has mercury fillings and has been oil pulling on a consistent basis, I'd love to hear from you.
I guess I should have told you that both my husband and I have mercury filings.....haven't noticed any problems with them since OPing!
Molly Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #215
Atkins Ambassador
 
sugarless4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Posts: 14,195
Gallery: sugarless4life
Stats: 5'3 / 100 pounds / 56 yo /maintaining for 9 years
WOE: Lost it with Atkins / RUNNING to keep it off!
Start Date: January 19, 2002 -10 1/2 YEARS ON ATKINS
Dreamchaser, you will LOVE the Nutiva CO ... It tastes great !

Betty
sugarless4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #216
Big Yapper!!!!
 
tempted_by_food's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 7,700
Gallery: tempted_by_food
Stats: 233/164/140
WOE: HHCG Rogue Style....
Start Date: restart: 7/13/2009
I have been doing this every morning now for a week except for once and my mouth feels alot cleaner and fresher also am sure my teeth look whiter, my weight is dropping quite constanly for over a week now, which am over the moon about, am not sure O P is behind the weight loss but even if it isnt, am sticking to this its becoming a morning ritual.

Molly... thanx for your wisdom and keeping this thread going!
tempted_by_food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:34 AM   #217
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Dreamchaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,771
Gallery: Dreamchaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly Bloom View Post
That is cool that you could swish that thick stuff for that long! I was worried that you might not like it, and it does have a strong flavor (I don't like it that much). If you can OP with that stuff for 15 minutes, every other oil will be a piece of cake...you're already an expert!!
Way cool! I it for cooking, just not OP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly Bloom View Post
I guess I should have told you that both my husband and I have mercury filings.....haven't noticed any problems with them since OPing!
OK, THAT'S the info I was looking for. Thanks!
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #218
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Dreamchaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,771
Gallery: Dreamchaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarless4life View Post
Dreamchaser, you will LOVE the Nutiva CO ... It tastes great !

Betty
Hi Betty. I love Nutiva. I'm not a huge fan of coconut flavor in general but I do manage to take my Nutiva right off the spoon all the time.
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:38 AM   #219
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Dreamchaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,771
Gallery: Dreamchaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted_by_food View Post
I have been doing this every morning now for a week except for once and my mouth feels alot cleaner and fresher also am sure my teeth look whiter, my weight is dropping quite constanly for over a week now, which am over the moon about, am not sure O P is behind the weight loss but even if it isnt, am sticking to this its becoming a morning ritual.

Molly... thanx for your wisdom and keeping this thread going!
Woohoo! Thanks for posting your results!
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:52 AM   #220
Major LCF Poster!
 
Princessdmw33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Western New York
Posts: 1,813
Gallery: Princessdmw33
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: November, 2009
I am assuming the fillings I have in my mouth are mercury fillings. I have not noticed any problems with them and have been OPing with CO every morning for the past two weeks.
Princessdmw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:23 PM   #221
Major LCF Poster!
 
MarcyDarcy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: San Angelo, Texas
Posts: 1,661
Gallery: MarcyDarcy
Stats: 195/180/173 goal: 135 or maybe lower
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 2009
This has me interested. I'm certainly not schooled in dentistry, but I just can't imagine how it could help you avoid a root canal. My personal experience with two root canals is that that darned root is infected and hurting like crazy. I can't imagine how it's not too late at that point. I'm not trying to be difficult, just looking for answers.
MarcyDarcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #222
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Looweewoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 5,328
Gallery: Looweewoo
Stats: 420/275/220 - 6'2"
WOE: Carnivore/T2 Diabetic
Start Date: Restart@350 09/17/09 The best is yet to come!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcyDarcy View Post
This has me interested. I'm certainly not schooled in dentistry, but I just can't imagine how it could help you avoid a root canal.
I have the same question. To need a root canal treatment, you must have a cavity which completely compromises the enamel down to the nerve. CO isn't going to rebuild enamel over an actual hole in your tooth. I will believe that it reduces inflammation and infection, but not that it heals a hole on your tooth.

Unless the Dentist was just trying to fill his Root Canal quota by recommending unnecessary treatments...
Looweewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:02 PM   #223
Senior LCF Member
 
Molly Bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 367
Gallery: Molly Bloom
Stats: 280/231/150
WOE: Counting Carbs
Start Date: 03/21/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looweewoo View Post
Unless the Dentist was just trying to fill his Root Canal quota by recommending unnecessary treatments...
I would NEVER say that dentists perform unnecessary treatments..[cough, cough] Hey I dated a dentist way back when. I guess he thought I was eventually going to be his wife....I learned ALOT!!

I have no idea either loo. But why does my husband need two, and then none? It's truly a mystery. You'd think that the infection they talk about, he would have certainly lost those two teeth by now, and it's been at least 5 years. No pain, no infection, dozens of dentist visits since....nope, still a mystery.
Molly Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:13 PM   #224
Senior LCF Member
 
Molly Bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 367
Gallery: Molly Bloom
Stats: 280/231/150
WOE: Counting Carbs
Start Date: 03/21/2010
I'm bumping this once. After that, it's on it's own.....
Molly Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:16 AM   #225
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Dreamchaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,771
Gallery: Dreamchaser
Oh yes, coconut oil is waaaaaaaaaaaay better than RBO for oil pulling!

Today is day 6 of OP for me and I did 20 minutes yesterday and today. I think I can say that I might actually be able to stick with this especially if it helps brighten my teeth!

I'm not sure if it's my imagination or not but my teeth DO seem to be feeling cleaner!

Question for long time OP's - I know that it's a big no-no to spit in the sink. For those of you that have been spitting into the toilet for a long time, have you had any plumbing problems? I've been spitting into the toilet and I don't think I can bring myself to spit into the trash....too gross!
__________________
We lost that little sweetiepie in my avatar on 2-26-10 after 15 wonderful years. Rest in peace little baby Angel You will be in your Mommy and Daddy's hearts forever!
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:52 AM   #226
Atkins Ambassador
 
sugarless4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Posts: 14,195
Gallery: sugarless4life
Stats: 5'3 / 100 pounds / 56 yo /maintaining for 9 years
WOE: Lost it with Atkins / RUNNING to keep it off!
Start Date: January 19, 2002 -10 1/2 YEARS ON ATKINS
I knew you'd love the coconut oil ... I DO TOO!!!

Today is my 4th day of OPing and I can't BELIEVE how clean my teeth feel. Its incredible !!! I am so gonna have to buy stock in Nutiva !!

Betty
sugarless4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:01 AM   #227
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Dreamchaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,771
Gallery: Dreamchaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarless4life View Post
I knew you'd love the coconut oil ... I DO TOO!!!

Today is my 4th day of OPing and I can't BELIEVE how clean my teeth feel. Its incredible !!! I am so gonna have to buy stock in Nutiva !!

Betty
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:00 AM   #228
Blabbermouth!!!
 
dartstar1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: So calif
Posts: 5,558
Gallery: dartstar1
Stats: 273/256/160 starting again 1-26-12 @259 4-1-12 242
WOE: ATKINS 72 <8
Start Date: 10/12/2009
Spitting in paper towels
ANd I think it is helping my asthma
dartstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:07 AM   #229
Senior LCF Member
 
Molly Bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 367
Gallery: Molly Bloom
Stats: 280/231/150
WOE: Counting Carbs
Start Date: 03/21/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamchaser View Post
Question for long time OP's - I know that it's a big no-no to spit in the sink. For those of you that have been spitting into the toilet for a long time, have you had any plumbing problems? I've been spitting into the toilet and I don't think I can bring myself to spit into the trash....too gross!
I have spit it in the sink for years now. It's not enough oil to clog your pipes, (unless you pipes are really old). I used to spit it in the toilet, but you'll have to clean it much more often. Eventually you'll have a black rim around the water, and that is way gross.
Molly Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:12 AM   #230
Senior LCF Member
 
PaisleyMae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 320
Gallery: PaisleyMae
Stats: 235/143/135 -- 5'6"
WOE: JUDDDD (LC & hcg along the way)
Start Date: January 2010
Does anyone know if oil-pulling could induce candida die-off?? I started two weeks ago when I saw this thread and LOVED IT but have been feeling terrible this week, all the symptoms of die-off. Thoughts??
PaisleyMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #231
Senior LCF Member
 
Molly Bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 367
Gallery: Molly Bloom
Stats: 280/231/150
WOE: Counting Carbs
Start Date: 03/21/2010
I just posted something on Candida on another thread on the main lobby.

If OP relieves dental bacterial load on your body, absolutely this could affect you body wide. Most all oils have antiviral or antibacterial properties, which definitely could be affecting you. Coconut Oil is one of the most powerful of all the oils. The Ayurvedics believe that Sesame Oil is the most healing of all oils, but that was mostly what India produced in oil.

You can have a healing crisis anytime you change the homeostasis of your body. LC does this too because the end result is creating balance in your hormonal system, digestive system, etc. The problem with alternative means of healing however is the time it takes to see results (usually) and people give up on it too fast. Others feel it right away. OP is one of the few modalities I've encountered where results can sometimes be immediate. It's truly amazing.
__________________
If you can't be a good example, then you must serve as a horrible warning.
Molly Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:02 PM   #232
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Dreamchaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,771
Gallery: Dreamchaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly Bloom View Post
I just posted something on Candida on another thread on the main lobby.

If OP relieves dental bacterial load on your body, absolutely this could affect you body wide. Most all oils have antiviral or antibacterial properties, which definitely could be affecting you. Coconut Oil is one of the most powerful of all the oils. The Ayurvedics believe that Sesame Oil is the most healing of all oils, but that was mostly what India produced in oil.

You can have a healing crisis anytime you change the homeostasis of your body. LC does this too because the end result is creating balance in your hormonal system, digestive system, etc. The problem with alternative means of healing however is the time it takes to see results (usually) and people give up on it too fast. Others feel it right away. OP is one of the few modalities I've encountered where results can sometimes be immediate. It's truly amazing.
Love your wisdom on this subject Molly!
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:51 AM   #233
Junior LCF Member
 
eloina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Lake County, IL
Posts: 25
Gallery: eloina
Stats: 220 (in 2002)/180.6/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July'00;Jan'03;Jan'07;Restarted after babies
Did my first oil pulling this morning with CO. I did the whole 20 minutes!

So about a half hour later (sorry, but this is a little gross) I had a tremendous amount of mucus drain from my sinuses down the back of my throat (ugh, nasty) but I've never ever had this happen before and I am not "congested" with a cold or anything.

I read in earlier posts that it helped with mucus, but this quickly? WOW!!

I had my husband take a before picture of my smile so that in a month I can see if there is a difference in whiteness and gum health.

Thanks for starting this thread. It has been really educational. I am all for natural remedies!
__________________
Mini Goals:
  • 07/06/11 - 175 lbs (15yr wedding anniversary - this is my wedding day weight)
    08/12/11 - 170 lbs (20 yr high school reunion)
    09/12/11 - 165 lbs (my birthday)
    11/16/11 - 155 lbs (My ultimate goal, but it might be too low - haven't seen this weight since I was 12 yrs old)
eloina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:38 PM   #234
Senior LCF Member
 
Molly Bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 367
Gallery: Molly Bloom
Stats: 280/231/150
WOE: Counting Carbs
Start Date: 03/21/2010
Wow, you are the bomb eloina. Good job on the doing the whole thing at once. It's really not that hard if you don't get the oil near the back of your tongue! Pretty soon you'll be swishing away and not even notice you've been doing it for 45 minutes. I do it while on the computer many times and just forget.
Molly Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:15 PM   #235
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 16,050
Gallery: fawn
I decided to get some sesame oil because while I've pulled with coconut oil and love it, I am in need of a root canal so I'm trying based on some anecdotal evidence. CO definitely tastes better!

Tammy, oil pulling with amalgams would be easier on us than chewing for sure.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:56 PM   #236
Atkins Ambassador
 
sugarless4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Posts: 14,195
Gallery: sugarless4life
Stats: 5'3 / 100 pounds / 56 yo /maintaining for 9 years
WOE: Lost it with Atkins / RUNNING to keep it off!
Start Date: January 19, 2002 -10 1/2 YEARS ON ATKINS
I will NOT give up my CO !!! I am totally hooked on the wonderful taste. (yeah, I know, do NOT swallow!!)

Betty
sugarless4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:32 AM   #237
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Dreamchaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,771
Gallery: Dreamchaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princessdmw33 View Post
I am assuming the fillings I have in my mouth are mercury fillings. I have not noticed any problems with them and have been OPing with CO every morning for the past two weeks.
Thanks for posting your results

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartstar1 View Post
Spitting in paper towels
Hey, thanks for the idea. I just tried this out and it worked out nicely! I might try some plastic baggies too (cheapo generic kind of course)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly Bloom View Post
I have spit it in the sink for years now. It's not enough oil to clog your pipes, (unless you pipes are really old). I used to spit it in the toilet, but you'll have to clean it much more often. Eventually you'll have a black rim around the water, and that is way gross.
Hi Molly. I wasn't worried about the oil clogging the pipes. I've read that the junk you're spitting is so full of toxins that it can damage your pipes. Makes me wonder because that does make sense. Thanks for the warning about the toilet. Definitely don't want a black rim around the water and definitely don't want to have to clean it more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post
Tammy, oil pulling with amalgams would be easier on us than chewing for sure.
Hi Misty. I figured this too. But you know me, I have to check out everything in FULL detail lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarless4life View Post
I will NOT give up my CO !!! I am totally hooked on the wonderful taste. (yeah, I know, do NOT swallow!!) Betty
Hi Betty. I wish I was more of a coconut flavor fan but I'm just not. But I definitely prefer the taste of the CO over the rice bran oil for oil pulling. It's funny, because the RBO is the only oil I use for cooking and I love it for that!

From what I can tell, I am not seeing any improvement in whitening yet, but there does seem to be less plaque on my teeth! Now that I finally know that I can handle doing this, I'm in it for the long haul! My next dentist appointment is in September. Can't wait to see what happens!
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:35 AM   #238
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Dreamchaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,771
Gallery: Dreamchaser
Got a question - Going over 20 minutes.......is it a good thing or unnecessary overkill?
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:38 AM   #239
Major LCF Poster!
 
Kismet311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,866
Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131.8/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
If you go to Oil Pulling, Wonderful Therapy, An Ancient Ayurvedic Method for Great Health it will explain the benefits and even has a video demonstration on how to do it. It suggests 15-20 minutes so I don't think going over 20 minutes would be necessary.
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:47 AM   #240
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Looweewoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 5,328
Gallery: Looweewoo
Stats: 420/275/220 - 6'2"
WOE: Carnivore/T2 Diabetic
Start Date: Restart@350 09/17/09 The best is yet to come!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamchaser View Post
I wasn't worried about the oil clogging the pipes. I've read that the junk you're spitting is so full of toxins that it can damage your pipes.
That sounds like bunk to me. There just aren't that many "toxins" in your body or you would be dead. Oil Pulling doesn't draw out any noticeable "toxins" anyway, or someone would have been able to measure them and name them. Instead it's given this mystery name "Toxins". Another case of a good idea being taken way too far.

OP probably does most of it's work by cleansing and soothing, there is certainly some antibiotic/antiviral effect and the digestible MCTs probably help rebuild cell walls etc while it is being absorbed through your mouth.
Looweewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:09 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.