Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 09:14 PM   #181
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Molly Bloom
Stats: 280/231/150
WOE: Counting Carbs
Start Date: 03/21/2010
Yeah, and say buh buh to your enamel. I know a bunch of people that were using hydrogen peroxide as an "after swish" and they all started complaining of their teeth hurting.

Here's the weird thing though. When I started doing this my enamel hurt ALOT. I couldn't drink lemonade, let alone champagne (yes after a wedding they were throbbing for 24 hours). When I started OPing, all the sensitivity went away. Now I can drink anything without pain.....

Why is that? I seriously have no idea.
Molly Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #182
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: brandyxoxo25
Stats: 295/290/195
WOE: Eating for a healthy LC Pregnancy!
Start Date: 11/09/2010
This is only my second day of doing it, and I can already tell a difference! My teeth feel like I just left the dentist from a cleaning. It feels like someone polished them! I love it! And if it can help with all of my teeth and gum issues! I am all over it!!
brandyxoxo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:22 PM   #183
Senior LCF Member

Yep, you've got it. Who in the world would have thought that swishing OIL around your mouth would leave you with that lick your teeth clean feeling? It's so antecedent, it's crazy.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:29 PM   #184
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jwhooper
Stats: 260/240/175
WOE: Atkins
I did it for 20 minutes. I accidentally bought some extra virgin sesame oil about ten years ago, thinking it was the toasted kind. No good for making Chinese food, but maybe it will be good for this!

I don't notice anything major, but I'll keep it up for a month or so.
jwhooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:35 AM   #185
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Princessdmw33
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: November, 2009
Is it necessary that you rinse with sea salt water after or is plain water fine?
Princessdmw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:41 AM   #186
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
Well, I tried it this morning. I only tried it for 10 minutes since it was the first time but it wasn't bad. I'll try for 15 minutes tomorrow then work up to 20 the next day LOL
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:52 PM   #187
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MarcellaSF
Stats: Ugh/Better/Yay
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: Restart 5 June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhooper View Post
I did it for 20 minutes. I accidentally bought some extra virgin sesame oil about ten years ago, thinking it was the toasted kind. No good for making Chinese food, but maybe it will be good for this!

I don't notice anything major, but I'll keep it up for a month or so.
Did you open it 10 years ago? I don't think I'd use it when it's so old--it's probably gone rancid!
MarcellaSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:39 PM   #188
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lraec1
I have been OP for almost 2 years now after reading a thread on here.I had a loose tooth the Dr. wanted to either add bone or pull .I told him I would think about it. I had read that op could tightened teeth so I gave it a try with sesame oil . At my 6 Mo. check up after my teeth had been cleaned I asked how the loose tooth was.What loose tooth she asked then had to check my records. I told her I did OP she looked at me kinda strange then changed the subject she said I did have a deep pocket around the tooth and to really clean that area. The last check up no pockets!! I also have noticed I no longer have sensitivities to hot or cold . After the first bottle of sesame oil I switched to CO so have mostly been using it.I have not rinsed after with anything just brushed.What is the benefit to rinsing with sea salt?
I will continue to OP the rest of my life
lraec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #189
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cookie34
Stats: 273/186/150
WOE: VSG/Low Carb
Start Date: 5/20/2012
I rinse w/ water then brush.
cookie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:09 PM   #190
Mrs. Robbie Williams

Gallery: hippiegirl
Someone posted on one of the first few pages about their gums being super sensitive after a few days of this. I remember experiencing this also the last time I really made an effort to do it the full twenty minutes every day. I just started up again today - only made it seven minutes, but I used way too much.

Does anyone know why the sensitivity happens, and has anyone experienced it and subsequently had it go away?

I'm kind of glad there's a somewhat new thread - that one from a few years ago was a monster!

"The only difference between a rut and a grave is depth. Get moving now!" ~ My friend Carl's FB status

This one's for DJ.
hippiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:18 AM   #191
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Princessdmw33
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: November, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiegirl View Post
Someone posted on one of the first few pages about their gums being super sensitive after a few days of this. I remember experiencing this also the last time I really made an effort to do it the full twenty minutes every day. I just started up again today - only made it seven minutes, but I used way too much.

Does anyone know why the sensitivity happens, and has anyone experienced it and subsequently had it go away?

I'm kind of glad there's a somewhat new thread - that one from a few years ago was a monster!
Have you ever gone to get a cleaning on your teeth and had your teeth be sensitive for a couple days afterward? I know that I have and wondering if it is the same thing. I am assuming that there is some sort of build up on our teeth that is being cleaned off that is leaving the tooth more sensitive. I know that when that happens to me it is only for a few days and then it goes away. I haven't had that issue with the OP though. I may be way off in my thoughts.

Dawn

The best predictor of future behavior is relevant past behavior.
Princessdmw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #192
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lraec1 View Post
I have been OP for almost 2 years now after reading a thread on here.I had a loose tooth the Dr. wanted to either add bone or pull .I told him I would think about it. I had read that op could tightened teeth so I gave it a try with sesame oil . At my 6 Mo. check up after my teeth had been cleaned I asked how the loose tooth was.What loose tooth she asked then had to check my records. I told her I did OP she looked at me kinda strange then changed the subject she said I did have a deep pocket around the tooth and to really clean that area. The last check up no pockets!! I also have noticed I no longer have sensitivities to hot or cold . After the first bottle of sesame oil I switched to CO so have mostly been using it.I have not rinsed after with anything just brushed.What is the benefit to rinsing with sea salt?
I will continue to OP the rest of my life
I love these kind of testimonials. As I said before, you may not see anything, you may not feel like it's doing anything for you, but the proof is going to the dentist.

OP is not a miracle cure. But it IS effective. It does work. You should think of it just like brushing your teeth every day. Simple preventative maintenance.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:03 PM   #193
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jean B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean B View Post
the other thing I want to ask about is dental abscess I have a hard bump over a tooth, at the apex. For about 6 years. If I get distressed ( say, a bereavement or a great worry) it flares up and forms a blister that pops. My dentist says I can just live with it as my body is self caring it... draining ok. It is impossible to root canal it. He says to live with it till it is a problem, then if necessary extract the tooth and do a bridge.

Is it possible that oil pulling will help this?
here is an update. since I asked about this, I have been pulling 20 min a day. Then rinsing with warm seasalt solution

the blister has drained and gone and I am left with the original solid bump. I think this may be a ?granuloma or scar tissue from the healed area. So I am very glad that this flare up has settled.

there may be other factors involved but I think the oil has been helpful

thanks, molly bloom
Jean B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #194
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kevintaylor
Stats: 243/243/189
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 07/09/2010
Brandy had me try oil pulling the other night with Coconut oil.It was disguting.Very disgusting.Im gonna try again eventually.She seems to enjoy very much.It'll probably help me because I just quit smoking.
kevintaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:35 PM   #195
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dartstar1
Stats: 273/256/160 starting again 1-26-12 @259 4-1-12 242
WOE: ATKINS 72 <8
Start Date: 10/12/2009
I am trying this as we speak only have lasted 5 mins so far It is the swallow refex that is so hard
I found this interesting because of the asthma I have COPD so I thought why not if I can do it today and tomorrow I have a Dr appt monday we will see if has helped
DOing it with CO
dartstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #196
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Dreamchaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by learning2love View Post
Would Rice bran oil be ok?
I want to know this too! Hopefully fawn will see this.
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:03 PM   #197
Senior LCF Member

Rice bran is fine. It's really not something you should worry about. Probably the easiest therapy you'll ever do.

Everyone reading this. Remember to change your oil every 3 months or so. It renews the benefits. I have no idea why, but many many people have experienced different results from doing so.

Good luck everyone.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:58 AM   #198
Major LCF Poster!

I'm staring with grapeseed oil (it has absolutely no flavor so it doesn't make me gag LOL) but after that bottle is gone I want to try sunflower oil since it is suggested on this site. I was chatting with someone yesterday and she had actually heard of this a while back and tried it but only lasted 2 minutes hah.I told her to try it again!
Old 07-11-2010, 08:40 AM   #199
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KCalla
Stats: 202/155/140
WOE: LowCarb, IE
Start Date: Oct 2010
Hi Kismet!
Quote:
I was chatting with someone yesterday and she had actually heard of this a while back and tried it but only lasted 2 minutes hah.I told her to try it again!
That would be me! I did it with Sesame Oil (1 tsp.) for TWELVE minutes!

My dental hygentist has been trying to get me to do this for over a year. She's also a nutritionist. Actually, I think she's using me as her guinea pig but I'm going to do it! Can't really do it in the shower because when I throw my head back to rinse the shampoo... the gag reflex kicks in! I'm going for my next dental cleaning in November. I'll let you know how effective it is!
KCalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #200
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCalla View Post
Hi Kismet!
That would be me! I did it with Sesame Oil (1 tsp.) for TWELVE minutes!

My dental hygentist has been trying to get me to do this for over a year. She's also a nutritionist. Actually, I think she's using me as her guinea pig but I'm going to do it! Can't really do it in the shower because when I throw my head back to rinse the shampoo... the gag reflex kicks in! I'm going for my next dental cleaning in November. I'll let you know how effective it is!
YES K!!! So glad to see you here! You will be a great addition to this board.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #201
Senior LCF Member

That is so cool....dental hygenists so get this.

I just read on another forum today, posted by a dentist, that he tells his patients to swish with Stevia, and not rinse. Hmmm, never heard this (I've heard of xylitol). Perhaps it's worth investigating, and it can be an after oil swish?
Old 07-11-2010, 01:17 PM   #202
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lookn4mayberry
Stats: 178/156/149
WOE: Atkins !
Start Date: 3/24/10
Besides the fact that this is GROSS, why is this on a lowcarb website ?
lookn4mayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:24 PM   #203
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
It's healthy and so is low carb. Julie
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:56 PM   #204
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MarcellaSF
Stats: Ugh/Better/Yay
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: Restart 5 June 2010
A lot of people here are interested in other aspects of their health besides diet. I can think of a lot of grosser things, though.
MarcellaSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:51 PM   #205
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookn4mayberry View Post
Besides the fact that this is GROSS, why is this on a lowcarb website ?
Because people started talking about their DENTAL health in relation to not consuming sugar anymore. It's definitely one of the benefits of Low Carb.

Diets and overall health issues are what this place is all about. I guess you haven't been over to the vitamin and supplement area?

And gross.....hmmm........I always feel sorry for people that dismiss this out of hand, because you can only help your dental health and keeping your teeth for years to come.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:22 PM   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly Bloom View Post
Rice bran is fine. It's really not something you should worry about. Probably the easiest therapy you'll ever do.
Thanks Molly. Just wanted to make sure because that's what I have on hand.

One more question ~ Anyone oil pullers who have mercury fillings? Any problems with it?
Old 07-11-2010, 10:26 PM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamchaser View Post
One more question ~ Anyone oil pullers who have mercury fillings? Any problems with it?
I'm asking because I did a search and saw this: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ge...o-not-mix.html
Old 07-12-2010, 07:29 AM   #208
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamchaser View Post
I'm asking because I did a search and saw this: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ge...o-not-mix.html
Don't you think that eating and chewing food might be as detrimental than swishing a bit of oil around your mouth?

Yeah, I've heard this before. If people are that worried about mercury, then you should have them removed.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:47 AM   #209
Atkins Ambassador

Gallery: sugarless4life
Stats: 5'3 / 100 pounds / 56 yo /maintaining for 9 years
WOE: Lost it with Atkins / RUNNING to keep it off!
Start Date: January 19, 2002 -10 1/2 YEARS ON ATKINS
Thanks to this thread, I started OPing today with the Nutiva CO that Fawn referred to .. the organic, cold pressed one. The stuff is positively yummy... (don't worry, I didn't swallow...) I just took a tablespoon in a container and put the container in a hot water bath for a minute or so until the oil melted. Once it cooled a bit, I started swishing. I went for 8 minutes today .. will shoot for longer tomorrow. Already my teeth feel amazing. I'm excited!

Thanks, Molly, and everyone!

Betty
sugarless4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:48 AM   #210
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarless4life View Post
Thanks to this thread, I started OPing today with the Nutiva CO that Fawn referred to .. the organic, cold pressed one. The stuff is positively yummy... (don't worry, I didn't swallow...) I just took a tablespoon in a container and put the container in a hot water bath for a minute or so until the oil melted. Once it cooled a bit, I started swishing. I went for 8 minutes today .. will shoot for longer tomorrow. Already my teeth feel amazing. I'm excited!

Thanks, Molly, and everyone!

Betty
You are more than welcome Betty. Do it like brushing your teeth, it should be a daily maintenance.

My husband and I (in our mid-50's) have not had ONE dental issue since doing this. Most of our non oil pullling friends have had root canals, tooth extractions, gum surgery, caps, replaced teeth.....at a cost of thousands to them, not to mention the pain connected to having many dental procedures. And everytime someone has one of these procedures, they seem to go down hill with their teeth. Ask anyone middle aged and beyond about their teeth. You'll get a litany of complaints, tons of dental horror stories, etc.

So why in the world do most of the people that are Oil Pulling experience amazing dental visits? Reverse gum disease? Tighten loose teeth? Whiten their teeth in most circumstances? What on earth can you do to avoid all the dental problems that people experience?

Hey, we used to do it all. Floss. Water Pik. Brush our teeth at least twice a day...and everytime we went to the dentist we got the tsk, tsk, tsk treatment. Just like we weren't doing a thing. My husband was facing gum surgery and a few root canals. I had extreme tooth sensitivity and couldn't drink anything acidic (drinking a glass of orange juice made my teeth throb all night).

Oil Pulling literally stopped all of that. After being told he needed two root canals from one dentist, he went to another about 8 months after beginning. The dentist didn't say one thing about a root canal, didn't say one thing about getting gum surgery....my tooth sensitivity was GONE.

Why in the world do you think I take my personal time to tell everyone I can about this? Because it's the easiest, cheapest health therapy where you can get the most bang for your buck.....

Okay, off my soapbox. Thanks for the thread guys and allowing me to discuss this with you all.