Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 05:02 PM   #151
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joy-FL
Stats: 223/175/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 30, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly Bloom View Post
Yeah that. I've mentioned DE on these boards. Truly one of the best things for your skin, building collagen from the inside out.
You mean the stuff that causes silicosis and is used as an abrasive insecticide?
Joy-FL is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2010, 05:45 PM   #152
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nutzoaboutfood
Stats: 235/166/135 (5'10")...26/12/8
WOE: Organic-Avoiding GMOs like the plague
Start Date: HW-1992 No diet, just gradual lifestyle changes
Quote:
Yeah that. I've mentioned DE on these boards. Truly one of the best things for your skin, building collagen from the inside out.

How do you take your DE? This guy I really respect said that you need to saturate water in order to get it to absorb. So we have a water jug in the fridge which we always keep a layer of DE at the bottom. We distill our water, and then add all the minerals back in, including the DE.

DE is the bomb. But I digress, maybe save it for another thread :-)
Well, DE doesn't really dissolve, it's more suspended in the water. So I just put a heaping teaspoon full in a small glass of water and drink it. It's not especially tasty, and pretty chaulky, but the health benefits are amazing compared to the cost/bad taste.
nutzoaboutfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:50 PM   #153
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Molly Bloom
Stats: 280/231/150
WOE: Counting Carbs
Start Date: 03/21/2010
Try it saturated in your water. No taste at all. It takes about a day for it to settle out of the water, then you just leave a layer at the bottom and there is not murkiness. Believe me, it is saturating the all the water you add after that.

You are suppose to squeeze a bit of citrus in it make orthosilicic acid which will increase the absorbability of the silica to your cells, which in turn create the collagen. So if you are just going to take it by the spoonful, a tiny bit of citrus will go a LONG way...:-).

And to Joy, I don't know where you read that, but this is "food grade" DE, which has been used for years in bakery products that you have probably eaten without even knowing it. That's the problem with google....

Last edited by Molly Bloom; 07-06-2010 at 07:52 PM..
Molly Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:36 PM   #154
Major LCF Poster!

Food grade DE = anti-parasite farm animal feed.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #155
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Looweewoo
Stats: 420/275/220 - 6'2"
WOE: Carnivore/T2 Diabetic
Start Date: Restart@350 09/17/09 The best is yet to come!
Yeah, DE is pure silica, completely indigestible and microscopically sharp as glass. It kills fleas and other small insects by actually puncturing their exoskeletons causing them to dehydrate. It might help your health if you have worms.

Unless someone can illustrate a mechanism whereby DE can be of any benefit, I would save my money for CO...
Looweewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:43 PM   #156
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ZonaGal47
Stats: 178/170/140
WOE: Just low carbs 4 me!
Start Date: Aug. 2010
I give DE to my horses - it keeps the flies away after it works it way into their system. I add it to their food and it must be food grade. You can actually add it to your dogs food as well or sprinkle it on their coats. It is not harmful.

I found this online: Food-Grade Diatomaceous Earth is Mother Nature's product and is safe for the environment, pets, and people. It is commonly called Fossil Shell Flour and is used to organically control insects, as an internal wormer, and for parasite removal in both humans and animals.
ZonaGal47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:46 PM   #157
Senior LCF Member

Well, I'm not going to try to convince you of the benefits of DE....this is an Oil Pulling thread.

But I will say, they've been using DE as a bulking agent in commercial bakery products for years. You've all eaten it.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:01 AM   #158
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sarah134
Hi Molly and others,

I have a question.

I had never heard of oil pulling until this thread started. I'm excited to try this for a number of reasons. 1. to 'cure' my dragonbreath that seems to have gotten way worse since focusing on low-carbing. (but I actually think it has more to do with the amount of yogurt I'm eating--milk products definitely stink up the breath for me...) and I've always had sinus problems anyway and I know milk products exacerbate the problem (but I so love my Carbmaster yogurt!!) 2. to boost my energy as some have experienced (I've always felt low-energy no matter what eating plan I've ever been on) 3. to help with receding gums--I've personally noticed, my dentist hasn't pointed it out or worried about it and 4. possibly whitening my teeth a bit as I'm an avid coffee drinker. I think my teeth are very porous as whitening strips make my teeth ACHE. I do have strong teeth however--only 2 fillings my whole life (I'm 42).

Now for the question!

I did my first coconut oil swish (for 12 min) this morning. I re-read through these threads and maybe somehow missed it, but do you brush your teeth before or after you swish with the oil? I ended up brushing after, and my gums are a wee bit tender now.

TIA
Sarah

151/138/134ish
5'8" 42yo
sarah134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:05 AM   #159
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sarah134
Molly! How funny! I just noticed we have basically the same quote!
I have a rubber stamp with that quote on it and have used that line for years!!
sarah134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:22 AM   #160
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Try it saturated in your water. No taste at all. It takes about a day for it to settle out of the water, then you just leave a layer at the bottom and there is not murkiness. Believe me, it is saturating the all the water you add after that.

You are suppose to squeeze a bit of citrus in it make orthosilicic acid which will increase the absorbability of the silica to your cells, which in turn create the collagen. So if you are just going to take it by the spoonful, a tiny bit of citrus will go a LONG way...:-).

And to Joy, I don't know where you read that, but this is "food grade" DE, which has been used for years in bakery products that you have probably eaten without even knowing it. That's the problem with google....
Thanks! I'll try it!
So do you then drink the murky layer at the bottom?

And Joy, I know, it doens't sound safe initially either...but after more research, you will learn of it's benefits, and like already mentioned, you've eaten it before, just don't realize it, because it is already in some processed foods.

And the cost is so minimal it's laughable. I got a 9 lb bag of it shipped up here (to AK which is expensive) for $30. This bag may last me the rest of my life it's so big.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #161
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lillianna
Stats: 233/210/150 5'6"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Every day!
Quote:
Coconut Oil is powerful. Maybe more powerful than people realize. In my time reading peoples experiences, CO caused more reactions (good and bad) than any other oil. It is a very strong anti viral.

When I start to feel like I'm coming down with something I go to the CO immediately. Personally I don't like that initial feeling of the solids on my tongue. It's a personal thing. But I do love the taste!
Molly, have you ever encountered anyone who gets very, very sleepy after oil pulling with CO? That's my problem... I was OP at night but I got lazy and stopped... I did notice that my skin started to look much better. I should start again but that sleepy feeling made me kind of nervous...if I felt sluggish the next day I blamed the CO. It's weird that others get a burst of energy from it.
Lillianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:19 PM   #162
Major LCF Poster!

I'm having a heck of a time finding any ingredient labels that cite DE. I'd appreciate it if someone could post one.

ETA: I think someone up the line got DE confused with silicon dioxide. This is a bit like assuming that hair and nails are the same because they're both made of keratin.

Last edited by Joy-FL; 07-07-2010 at 01:35 PM..
Old 07-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #163
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MarcellaSF
Stats: Ugh/Better/Yay
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: Restart 5 June 2010
Could someone start a thread on DE? I'm curious to hear more.
MarcellaSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #164
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tamari
WOE: no guilt allowed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTSDALEJULIE View Post
I am swishing as we speak. I'll let you know how it goes. Julie
Yup, me too. Thanks for starting this thread and for all the info.
tamari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #165
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillianna View Post
Molly, have you ever encountered anyone who gets very, very sleepy after oil pulling with CO? That's my problem... I was OP at night but I got lazy and stopped... I did notice that my skin started to look much better. I should start again but that sleepy feeling made me kind of nervous...if I felt sluggish the next day I blamed the CO. It's weird that others get a burst of energy from it.
I've heard of this before. CO is some really powerful stuff. I would definitely change your oil. I always tell people to start with untoasted, unrefined sesame if you can get it. That's the gold standard.

I'll start a DE thread, but most likely on the health forums. I won't be able to post links however, because many of them sell some natural health products (not DE however) and I bet the moderators won't let me.....
Old 07-07-2010, 08:35 PM   #166
Senior LCF Member

Done. I put some info about DE on the Vitamins and Supplements forum. Definitely worth the read. And there is so much more you can find out there on the net about it.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #167
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: brandyxoxo25
Stats: 295/290/195
WOE: Eating for a healthy LC Pregnancy!
Start Date: 11/09/2010
It was really hard to get 2TB of coconut oil in my mouth! This is my first time ever OPing and I have to say, so far, with it in my mouth right now, I am not a huge fan! Lol! I keep wanting to swallow!! Ugh! I feel like oil is getting stuck in my throat! Is that normal? I have been doing it for 2min! Hahahaha!
brandyxoxo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:43 PM   #168
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Okay, is it normal to feel like you have mucus coming up out of your throat into you mouth while you are pulling? I am trying my very hardest to go the full 20 min. I am on 13min right now! Woot! Only 7 to go, but it is so thick and mucusy(lol, is that a word?)
Old 07-07-2010, 10:46 PM   #169
Senior LCF Member

Molly-thanks for starting this thread, and the new DE one...I'll have to go check it out.

I don't really have an answer, just a comment...I find it kinda funny that so many people have posted that oil pulling is hard. I'm kinda baffled . What's so hard about swishing liquid around in your mouth?

The only problem I've ever had is once I sneezed with it all in my mouth...now THAT was a huge mess!
nutzoaboutfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:14 AM   #170
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandyxoxo25 View Post
It was really hard to get 2TB of coconut oil in my mouth! This is my first time ever OPing and I have to say, so far, with it in my mouth right now, I am not a huge fan! Lol! I keep wanting to swallow!! Ugh! I feel like oil is getting stuck in my throat! Is that normal? I have been doing it for 2min! Hahahaha!
Wow, 2 tablespoons?? I'm amazed you went for 13 minutes!!

It should be ONE tablespoon...maximum....but I give you an A for effort on this.... :-)
Old 07-08-2010, 07:17 AM   #171
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutzoaboutfood View Post
I don't really have an answer, just a comment...I find it kinda funny that so many people have posted that oil pulling is hard. I'm kinda baffled . What's so hard about swishing liquid around in your mouth?
I think it's the texture that is hard at first...I remember it did feel odd at the beginning. Also it's learning to keep it away from your gag reflexes.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:42 AM   #172
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CarlynB
Stats: 186.5/167.5/130
Start Date: May 14, 2010
I've been trying OP with 1 teaspoon of oil, there's no way I could handle 2 Tbs. right now.
I did manage to swish for 15 minutes this morning. I used CO this time.

I also feel the sensation of mucus coming up into the throat while pulling. What is up with that?
CarlynB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #173
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
Quote:
Whoa girl! I dont think I even get a TBS in. I dont have a very big mouth, LOL.

Quote:
Okay, is it normal to feel like you have mucus coming up out of your throat into you mouth while you are pulling? I am trying my very hardest to go the full 20 min. I am on 13min right now! Woot! Only 7 to go, but it is so thick and mucusy(lol, is that a word?)
Totally normal, its cleaning you out!
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh! I thought I posted update last night! I went the full 20min on my first try! Woot!!! My teeth felt like I had just left the dentist from a cleaning! I loved it!!

The directions on the first page of this thread said 2TB!?!?!? Lol! So, should I just use 1TB?

Last edited by brandyxoxo25; 07-08-2010 at 11:18 AM..
Old 07-08-2010, 02:10 PM   #175
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
Quote:
Oh! I thought I posted update last night! I went the full 20min on my first try! Woot!!! My teeth felt like I had just left the dentist from a cleaning! I loved it!!

The directions on the first page of this thread said 2TB!?!?!? Lol! So, should I just use 1TB?
I dont measure mine, just scoop out a spoonful. I cannot comfortably swish too much so Im guessing mine comes in just under 1 TBS. Anything more than that and my cheeks get sore!
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:30 PM   #176
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: healthnut
Stats: 190/160/120 5'2"
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: April 2010 (2nd - and last -time)
I'm so glad you all have kept this thread going. I remember learning about oil pulling with CO years ago (2003-2004) on this board and no mention was made about sesame oil. I did it with CO a few times back then and found that my teeth felt better somehow. I forgot to keep it up but now I'm back! This time, I'll do it with sesame oil.

Thanks for all the info., people!
healthnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #177
Senior LCF Member

I'm very pleased with all of your OPing. I'll try to keep bumping the thread as long as possible. On many places, my threads go for pages and pages. I do believe that all those people are still OPing today :-)
Old 07-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #178
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Okay, used less CO this time, MUCH BETTER! LOL! I am pulling as I type!

Oh, I had another question! Do you all use the lemo juice or the salt water?

Last edited by brandyxoxo25; 07-08-2010 at 09:54 PM..
Old 07-08-2010, 10:04 PM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Salt Water! Lemon can really hurt your enamel......

Here's a hint. Use sea salt. After the third gargle, swallow a bit. There are great minerals in sea salt.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:06 PM   #180
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks! I used the lemon like it said on the first page of this thread last night! WOw! that had a kick! Lol!