Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2010, 07:31 AM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Molly Bloom
Stats: 280/231/150
WOE: Counting Carbs
Start Date: 03/21/2010
So.....how is everyone doing? Are you swishing away while you read this? LOL.
Molly Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2010, 07:52 AM   #92
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Hey, If you want to add xylitol to your oil, I suggest you grind it to a fine powder before adding it otherwise it will be a gritty texture that could be unpleasant, and even though it will settle if not disturbed often enough, It will stay in emulsion a lot easier than the heavy large crystals.

actually i sometimes enjoy the gritty sugar crystals and it makes me chew and exercise my mouth, but sometimes I don't like the crunchy loud gritty sound it makes in my head! Too many echoes!

Molly, I found some sesame oil and am making a separate bottle of that. I decided I didn't want to oil pull with coconut oil in the evening for fear it would keep me awake. I want to do it before bed to help with morning breath, so I'll see if this motivates me to do it more often.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:12 AM   #93

BTW, what to do with the xylitol/oil residue in your blender cup?
Give yourself a sugar scrub. once you pour out as much as you can, just stick your hand in there and wipe out the oil/sugar stuck to the walls and rub it where you could use a good scrub, your hands, feet, face, whatever!

Just make sure to rinse the xylitol crystals off before your cat shows up in the bathroom to lick the coconut oil off of your feet!
Old 07-03-2010, 08:17 AM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MarcellaSF
Stats: Ugh/Better/Yay
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: Restart 5 June 2010
I did it in the evening two nights ago and couldn't sleep all night. Missed yesterday because I didn't remember until evening and didn't want to go through that again. But I will do it this morning!
MarcellaSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:56 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Yum, coconut sugar rubs!!! I am totally going to have to try that...

When I use oil, I use Jojoba. It's supposed to be as close to your skins natural sebum as any oil (I think it's actually considered a wax). But I was just thinking of mixing it with coconut and sugar. I could really use something for my feet this summer, I never wear shoes if I can help it, and they are starting to show the effects!!
Old 07-03-2010, 09:45 AM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Paula 67
Stats: 280/216.4/174
WOE: Primal/Paleo w/ ADF
Start Date: September 24, 2010, JUDDD August 1, 2013
Back to OP thanks to this thread. When I was doing it faithfully, I noticed better health and whiter teeth. I have to go to the dentist soon. I wonder how long it takes for the gum benefits to kick in?
Paula 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:23 AM   #97
Senior LCF Member

Hey Paula.....I've heard of people doing it for less than a month and avoiding gum surgery. I have no idea how it works so fast, but I've heard this over and over again....after about a thousand testimonials, you can't help but believe it. All those people can't be lying.

You will have to report back on your dental visit.

My husband went to a new dentist. He said he needed not one, but two root canals. Husband dropped the guy, went to another dentist 6 months later, a older guy. Not one word about a root canal, in fact the dentist was astounded at his gum health for his age.

I get highly suspicious of dentists that are still paying off their dental school loans...;-)
Old 07-03-2010, 10:35 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcellaSF View Post
I did it in the evening two nights ago and couldn't sleep all night. Missed yesterday because I didn't remember until evening and didn't want to go through that again. But I will do it this morning!
What kind of oil do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly Bloom View Post
Yum, coconut sugar rubs!!! I am totally going to have to try that...

When I use oil, I use Jojoba. It's supposed to be as close to your skins natural sebum as any oil (I think it's actually considered a wax). But I was just thinking of mixing it with coconut and sugar. I could really use something for my feet this summer, I never wear shoes if I can help it, and they are starting to show the effects!!
Oh I totally know that feeling. One summer I did my best to be as barefoot as possible except during work. Interestingly enough, my feet got both tough and soft because I walked through a lot more water puddle barefoot than I would if I were shoed, so I'd stand there in rain puddles and all the rough sun and air dried skin would slough off easily. When I wore shoes, I wore cotton socks so that helped.

Quote:
Hey Paula.....I've heard of people doing it for less than a month and avoiding gum surgery. [...]

I get highly suspicious of dentists that are still paying off their dental school loans...;-)

I hope I can keep up with it for a full month! If I'm lucky I might get an appointment with a student dentist. I love when they are impressed with my teeth. I quit using traditional toothpaste ( just baking soda) and the student asked the teacher to look at my teeth and they asked what I used. I was there for an infection in a pocket in my tooth, but they were impressed with how good my teeth were and that even my lack of regular flossing was not obvious. When I DID oil pull it seemed to keep down the pain and infection in those pockets ( next to two filled teeth , I could hunt down and kick the dentist who did those fillings :annoyed) I can't eat meat or any semi solid food without it getting into those pockets out of reach of floss and picks. Only chewing gum ( and oil pulling) can get everything out.

Thanks again for bringing this to my attention. I just need to do it regularly to benefit from it.

Last edited by metqa; 07-03-2010 at 10:36 AM..
Old 07-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #99
Senior LCF Member

metqa, I'm using coconut oil.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:13 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcellaSF View Post
metqa, I'm using coconut oil.
That's what I suspected.

Get some other oil like sesame or something else, besides the coconut oil to use in the evenings. I'll bet the CO's MCT are absorbing and giving you a thermogenic BOOST!
MCTs burn quickly like carbs and raise your metabolism. Don't need that before bed!

That's what I did this morning, got another container and poured in some sesame oil to use for nighttime and keeping my CO to use in the morning.

Last edited by metqa; 07-03-2010 at 06:14 PM..
Old 07-03-2010, 06:19 PM   #101
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Looweewoo
Stats: 420/275/220 - 6'2"
WOE: Carnivore/T2 Diabetic
Start Date: Restart@350 09/17/09 The best is yet to come!
Yeah, I didn't believe it but Coconut Oil keeps me awake whether I eat it or rub it on my feet.
Looweewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #102
Senior LCF Member

I had heard that before, but eating it occasionally as coconut bark never kept me awake. Nor do I feel very energetic if I have some CO during the day. But I have learned! Definitely DON'T need that before bed! I will get some sesame oil next time I go to a whole food store, but I already had the coconut oil and wanted to get started.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:16 PM   #103
Senior LCF Member

Loo...YOUR FEET!!! If you rub a clove of garlic on your feet you will taste it in your mouth?

So yeah, your feet are a highway to the rest of your body...it's been proven. All those stupid detox foot pads are what started a crazy craze of foot detox, but seriously there is something to it. Rubbing you feet with oil will deliver to your body.

You know, I'm not religious, but was a budding Theology major in college. I couldn't get over all the "anointing" of feet in scriptures. It was more than giving respect, it was healing. Even back then.

So my dear, definitely rubbing anything on your feet, your body is going to feel it, good or bad.....

Oh yeah, BTW, it makes the thought of athletes foot sort of scary....
Old 07-04-2010, 07:28 AM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
I just got back from the grocery store. I had a hard time finding the oils you guys are mentioning. I did find grapeseed oil. Is that effective? I will have more time mid-week to go to the other stores but wondering about the other kinds i should be looking for.
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Kismet, that is fine. You can even use safflower if thats all you have. I would just stay away from anything toasted, and I personally don't use canola.

When you go searching, look for Sunflower or unrefined Sesame Oil. Those are the two that are the most popular. I think Sunflower is a bit wimpy however, but it's great for beginners. That's what I started on way back when..... :-)
Old 07-04-2010, 09:32 AM   #106
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
Thanks. I'll look for it. For my first try I wanted to get a lower(not necessarily LOWEST though) priced oil. I didn't see sunflower but I was in a rush. I won't buy anything until I look around in at least 2 other stores.
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:46 AM   #107
Senior LCF Member

If you have a health food store, you should have a huge variety of oils.

One of my all time favorites oils is Walnut Oil.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:42 PM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jean B
Quote:

yes

though, reading along, I might have to rub a clove of garlic on my foot as well. Just to see .
Jean B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:38 PM   #109
Blabbermouth!!!

You can rub garlic just about anywhere and get a similar result, and rubbing CO anywhere will allow you to digest some portion of it too. The reason I said feet is because that's where I rub it... it's a preventative because of my diabetes. CO has antibacterial and skin improvement qualities which may prevent me from having my feet amputated.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:54 PM   #110

Imagining Loowee giving himself a Xylitol-Garlic- Coconut Oil Foot scrub massage!

Take care of those feet,Man!!!
Old 07-04-2010, 03:05 PM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Indychick829
Stats: Highest - 217 / Lowest -160 / Current 170 & happy
WOE: Maintenance - whole foods/fruits/organic meats
Start Date: January 2009. Currently in Maintenance
wow. what an interesting post! i have NEVER heard of this before - but I have periodontal disease (ie, gingivitis) and 2 crowns. i just googled after reading this thread and am SO inspired to try this! i have coconut oil, which I will try first. may have to use a timer to see how long I can actually do it for, though...
Indychick829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Yep Loo, just goes to show you, your skin is your biggest orifice. Whatever you slather on it, you might as well eat with a spoon!!

I try to be a purist when it comes to skin care products, like Jojoba oil.....but darn if it's hard to stay away from the Chanel counter.....
Old 07-04-2010, 03:08 PM   #113
Senior LCF Member

Indychick - When you put the coconut oil in your mouth, you need to let it melt for a few seconds....unless it's already liquid. I know where I live right now, it wouldn't have a chance to harden....yikes it's hot.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:15 PM   #114
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Indychick829
Stats: Highest - 217 / Lowest -160 / Current 170 & happy
WOE: Maintenance - whole foods/fruits/organic meats
Start Date: January 2009. Currently in Maintenance
Quote:
Indychick - When you put the coconut oil in your mouth, you need to let it melt for a few seconds....unless it's already liquid. I know where I live right now, it wouldn't have a chance to harden....yikes it's hot.
right. I figured as much - that's what one of the sites I just read said.
course it's 90 degrees here in Indy today and supposed to be in the 90's all week...
Indychick829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Quote:
When I saw the thread I said what the heck lets give it a go. Warning this is gross but the truth. I have IBS since I was kid. I have alot of diffculties going to the bathroom (motility problem fancy word for constipation!) Anyway I have done this for 5days faithfully and have had a bm all 5days. LOL I have not done that since I was a baby in diapers!!!

Oh and I have gum disease. My teeth and gums have never felt better. THey are noticably whiter. I go this week for a cleaning and I will check back with the results.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #116
Blabbermouth!!!

I keep forgetting to do it in the morning....
Old 07-04-2010, 04:54 PM   #117
Senior LCF Member

JKat -

One of the resounding theories is that the bacteria in your mouth can attack organs in your body. The Russian Doctor Karach who first did a paper presentation about this said it cured his long time blood disease. But in reality, perhaps Dr. Karach had very bad dental health, causing his blood disease.

This is truly what I believe OP does for you....relieve your body of excess bacteria that you would otherwise swallow.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:56 AM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
I hope it continues. I have had this problem my whole life!!
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:19 AM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hey Paula.....I've heard of people doing it for less than a month and avoiding gum surgery. I have no idea how it works so fast, but I've heard this over and over again....after about a thousand testimonials, you can't help but believe it. All those people can't be lying.
My dentist has ordered me to make appointments with the periodontist three of the last four visits. My gum pockets are too big. I nod my head and then never make the appointment. I had a terrible experience as a teen. The one time when I was faithfully low carbing he made no mention of deep pockets. I think high carb eating messes with my dental health as well. I think I'll make my appt. for August.

Swishing as I type this.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:28 AM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Natural Toothpaste

Does anyone use natural toothpaste without flouride? What brand do you use?

I just bought some Kiss My Face brand at the health food store. I'm a little nervous about the no flouride thing (I been so well brainwashed by the ADA). Truthfully, flouride has never prevented cavities for me.

In another OP thread someone posted about how commercial toothpastes coat the teeth and prevent the natural good things in saliva from reaching and repairing our teeth.