Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #301
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
I swish the coconut oil while in the shower. That gives me 10-15 minutes. Otherwise I probably wouldn't be able to hold out that long. But not wanting to spit it out in the shower helps the motivation to keep swishing it longer. It does seem to get frothy, then gets really liquidy toward the end.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2011, 09:39 AM   #302
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/137.7/125; 5'1"
WOE: HCG Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 07/2014
I try to have NO AIR in my mouth when I swish. the saliva build up is bad enough but if there is any air, it will bubble up froth and be unbearable. I put the oil in my mouth , tilt my head back and squeeze my tongue, jaw and cheeks together like I'm going to slowly spit till the oil touches my lips and I know there is no air left, then I close my lips so only oil is in my mouth.

It makes a huge difference cause there is no frothy air bubbles to add pressure.

One of these days I'm gonna be OPing at the computer and read something funny and accidentally spit oil all over my keyboard. I'm dreading that day!
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:59 AM   #303
Major LCF Poster!

haha you need one of those clear keyboard covers! Or put some saran wrap over the keyboard!

I was mixing in coq10 powder while swishing for a while based on something I read in the Protein Power Lifeplan. It said many people that have gum disease are low on coq10 in the gums. But I'm not sure it necessarily follows that the gums will absorb the coq10 by swishing it, though they say some toothpastes to have it added.

I ended up getting the waterpik ultra at Walgreens. It works pretty well. That thing can really put out some pressure! I've been adding the celtic sea salt to warm water in the hopper and so far it hasn't given out. It kind of sounds like one of those electric kid's toy squirt guns while it is operating.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:57 PM   #304
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Squigglywiggly
Stats: 220/193.2/160
WOE: low carbing/leptin reset
Start Date: June 2010
Woohooo I lasted for 10 minutes today! What helped is every now and then spitting out a bit of excess... did that twice.
Squigglywiggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:06 PM   #305
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnF
Stats: W:218/172/165 - H:5'9.5" - Age 55
WOE: LC
Start Date: July 28, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squigglywiggly View Post
Woohooo I lasted for 10 minutes today! What helped is every now and then spitting out a bit of excess... did that twice.
I find that I have to keep my mouth shut. I tried spitting out some excess and somehow that kicked off a lot of gagging.
AnnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:42 PM   #306

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
haha you need one of those clear keyboard covers! Or put some saran wrap over the keyboard!

I was mixing in coq10 powder while swishing for a while based on something I read in the Protein Power Lifeplan. It said many people that have gum disease are low on coq10 in the gums. But I'm not sure it necessarily follows that the gums will absorb the coq10 by swishing it, though they say some toothpastes to have it added.

I ended up getting the waterpik ultra at Walgreens. It works pretty well. That thing can really put out some pressure! I've been adding the celtic sea salt to warm water in the hopper and so far it hasn't given out. It kind of sounds like one of those electric kid's toy squirt guns while it is operating.
Interesting and Thanks for the review
Old 08-31-2011, 06:48 AM   #307
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Madger
WOE: vlc
Quote:
That's great! Cure Tooth Decay recommends coconut oil or sesame oil for the oil pulling. Not sure about sunflower oil, but if it is extracted with heat and/or solvents I wouldn't use it. An energy boost might occur if the oil pulling is drawing out substantial toxins, since those often make people feel fatigued and tired.
Thanks for this, I'm happy with the coconut oil. Wonder if I'm doing it right though, I got the Nutiva brand that comes solid in a tub-like container . I put a tbsp in a coffee cup and microwave it a few seconds til liquid'y then I swish. Would you think that microwaving removes anything in the oil that is benefical?... my thoughts are along the lines, by boiling vegetables they lose some nurtional value; does microwaving do the same to the oil? Am I over-thinking this?

I'm still having a hard time doing this every day... life is super hectic right now (in a good way), but I'm doing my best to op when I can but it's not nearly as much as I want to be doing it.
Madger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:00 AM   #308

you know you could skip the coffee cup and just scoop out a spoon full and put it into your mouth. it will be melted in less than 30 seconds. It's a cool sensation...literally. The oil is absorbing heat from your mouth and feels cooler as it melts.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:02 AM   #309
Major LCF Poster!

I don't like microwaves in general and don't use them, but I'm not sure if it does anything to the coconut oil. I just take it at room temp and it melts in the mouth pretty fast anyway. If it is already melted, I usually use a straw to suck up the desired amount. I got some Tropical Traditions coconut oil, wow that stuff is good, you can feel the bite when it gets in your mouth.

It's taking a while to get used to the waterpik ultra. It's hard not to make a mess with it. If you don't keep your mouth closed around the pik while using it, it just sprays all over the place, like all over the mirror, the sink, etc. That thing could probably shoot water a good 20 feet and maybe more on the highest setting.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:06 AM   #310

I don't think the microwave does anything to it. it's one of the most stable oils, so you'd have to really burn it to destroy it.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:08 AM   #311
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks! Okay, I'll just use it as is then... not sure why I thought it had to be melted.

Do you guys have a preference, Tropical Traditions or Nutiva?
Old 08-31-2011, 07:13 AM   #312
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GREWVEE_1
Stats: 225.4/180
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 1, 2014...again
So, today was my second day OP. I'm using sesame oil. Today as I was completing about 15 minutes I started gagging. When I spit there were 2 sticky pink dime sized "things" in the sink! I was expecting mucus but not pink! Do y'all know if this is normal?
GREWVEE_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:18 AM   #313
Major LCF Poster!

I've tried Tropical Traditions Gold, Garden of Life, Nutiva, Spectrum, and some other brands and I would rate them in that order taste wise. The Tropical Traditions gold has a very pronounced coconut taste so not everyone is going to like it. The bite it gives is what I find interesting, since I have not experienced that with any other coconut oil. Microwaves heat by vibrating the atoms violently billions of times per second, which is not something we would experience with other heating means. Whether that matters is debated; I've just decided it is pretty easy to heat other ways so I avoid the microwave.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:32 AM   #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREWVEE_1 View Post
So, today was my second day OP. I'm using sesame oil. Today as I was completing about 15 minutes I started gagging. When I spit there were 2 sticky pink dime sized "things" in the sink! I was expecting mucus but not pink! Do y'all know if this is normal?
Don't know if that's normal. never had that happen. but mucous can be different colors depending on what else is in it. it can be clear, green or yellow from infection, pink or red or brown or black from blood. It's a rainbow of mucousy happiness.

Sorry, that is sorta gross. I know when my gums are bleeding, everything I spit comes out pink so maybe you bled a little?
Old 08-31-2011, 07:35 AM   #315
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Been doing this with coconut oil for a short while now and my sinus issues and congestion have definitely gone down a lot! I'm gonna continue and am hoping my next dental visit will also be a good one.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:39 AM   #316
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've been spitting in the garbage, thought somewhere in the beginning of this thread it said spitting in the sink could do something to the pipes?

The last time I swished, a college girl showed up at the door selling encyclopedias so my dh had her step inside to talk to me! How do you gracefully excuse yourself to spit in the garbage to politely tell her no thank you? Errr! I didn't like interrupting my swishing, lol.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:47 AM   #317
Major LCF Poster!

Did you get a flu shot? The pink things might be the chips the gov't puts in the flu shots. haha j/k.

Yes, do not spit the spent coconut oil in the sink or toilet! It can clog up the pipes. You know how coconut oil is hard in the jar below around 76 deg. F? That is what will happen in the pipes too.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:12 AM   #318

Well, I don't spit into the sink cause I don't like cleaning it out, but I believe it wouldn't hurt the pipes at all. consider first that it's only a teaspoon or so of oil. even if you poured that down directly, any warm water would melt it and flush it through. Secondly, the reason the oil is liquid and milky like is because the lipase enzymes in the saliva are breaking down and emulsifying the oil. so it's not the same coming out as it is going in. Many don't realize that we not only have starch enzymes but fat enzymes in our saliva.

Saying all that, the trash is easier and less messy IMO. Next time I'll have to spit on a cold plate or something to see if it solidifies.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:49 AM   #319
Major LCF Poster!

That would be a good test! Maybe it doesn't get solid after swishing. I don't have city sewer so I have to be careful what I run down the drain.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:27 AM   #320

well, if you have a septic tank I'd avoid spittin in the sink as well cause just because it's broken down, it's still fat and could upset the balance in the tank. My sister had one and didn't know ( thought she was on city) and it went bust cause no one wasn't maintaining it. What a mess!
Old 08-31-2011, 01:04 PM   #321
Major LCF Poster!

I was for a while mixing xylitol with the coconut oil for pulling, but I'm not sure I trust the xylitol makers statements about their product so I stopped using xylitol. Yes the septic can be a headache. It has a 1000 gallon tank that gets sucked out every 3-4 years. The 'pipe' going to it is the very old style clay drain tile, I think from maybe the 1930's or so, the house itself my great (great?) grandparents built in the mid 1800's.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:46 AM   #322
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 135/120/120 (5'3")
WOE: vegetarian
Start Date: June 2008
I use Sesame oil and when I get too much “froth” to swish I either spit a little out and keep going or start over with another spoonful. I was told to use one tablespoon but that was way too much for me so I use about one teaspoon. Also, I read some place that OP should be done first thing every morning before anything else is put into the mouth. I started the OP because I had a root canal that went bad and the dentist said it would have to be pulled. I still have my tooth and it seems to be healthy. That was about 3 years ago. I will not discuss the gross drainage that went along with the healing process which took several months but was worth it to me.
notaginggracefully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:55 AM   #323
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
I try to have NO AIR in my mouth when I swish. the saliva build up is bad enough but if there is any air, it will bubble up froth and be unbearable. I put the oil in my mouth , tilt my head back and squeeze my tongue, jaw and cheeks together like I'm going to slowly spit till the oil touches my lips and I know there is no air left, then I close my lips so only oil is in my mouth.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #324
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanie63 View Post
I want to try OP but I'm a bit afraid since a friend declares that overtime it will pull out my old metal fillings. She says since the old metal fillings contained mercury or something then the OP will remove it as it does other toxins. Has anyone heard of someone losing a filling from oil pulling?
If this was answered I didn't see it. Please forgive me and answer again.

I have had good luck with op and a root canal that went bad. I have also had a couple of fillings replaced and I am not financially able to have all of my teeth refilled.

I want to keep doing the op but cannot afford it if it is what caused my fillings to come out.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #325
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly Bloom View Post
I guess I should have told you that both my husband and I have mercury filings.....haven't noticed any problems with them since OPing!
Very good. I am sorry I had not read far enough.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #326
Major LCF Poster!

I haven't noticed any problems with my fillings from oil pulling either, and they are all at least 10 years old. I would highly recommend the book Cure Tooth Decay before getting any fillings replaced, because you certainly wouldn't want a mercury based amalgam again, and there are certain procedures that must be followed to prevent excess exposure to the mercury when the old fillings are removed. The ADA still maintains that the mercury in amalgams is not a problem. In fact it bans its members from telling patients they should replace their fillings due to mercury.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:09 AM   #327
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sheepie
Stats: 265/218/150
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Feb 2011
OK, I tried this for the first time yesterday mainly because I have an ulcer and wanted to see if this would help. I've tried just about everything else (salt water, baking soda) with no improvement.

So I put a teaspoon of coconut oil in my mouth, that was all I could handle. Swished for about 15 minutes. I go look in the mirror and there is a brown stain along the gum line of my upper and lower front teeth. Don't panic I tell myself, brush and it will probably disappear. Nope, it didn't. I brushed like 3 times, flossed, nothing helped. The stain is still there. WTH??? Is this normal? Will it go away???
Sheepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:46 AM   #328
Major LCF Poster!

Hm, not sure what that is. I haven't had that happen or seen anyone post that here. I doubt it would be from tartar since I had tons of tarter buildup that it didn't discolor. What kind of coconut oil did you use? Maybe if it has traces of certain solvents in it maybe that would discolor.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:56 AM   #329
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sheepie
Stats: 265/218/150
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
What kind of coconut oil did you use? Maybe if it has traces of certain solvents in it maybe that would discolor.
I used LouAna.
Sheepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:09 AM   #330
Major LCF Poster!

Ok. Maybe someone else who has used LouAna for oil pulling can comment. LouAna I think is a refined coconut oil. If they use any solvents such as a hexane during the processing maybe traces remain it that could discolor but I'm not sure.