Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 02:29 PM   #271
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Madger
WOE: vlc
I just swished for the first time and I lasted the full 20 minutes... it really wasn't hard at all and the time went quick! I like how clean my teeth feel and how moist my lips are... I will definitely try to make this a habit.
Madger is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2011, 03:46 PM   #272
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
I wonder how many calories are absorbed in the mouth from 20 min of swishing???

I know something happens cause there are oil enzymes in the saliva, and after swishing I lose my appetite for breakfast all the way till noon.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:41 PM   #273
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Painted Peggies
WOE: Low Carb/Atkins/Fat Head
Start Date: March 2011
does anyone end up with a TON of liquid in their mouth? I do! I did it with a teaspoon of coconut oil and by the time I was done, my mouth was loaded w/ liquid...do I make too much spit or something?
Painted Peggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:07 PM   #274
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm really not sure about the calorie count. I've never been a calorie counter but will keep it in mind. It curbed my appetite too, I haven't been hungry since.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:37 PM   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painted Peggies View Post
does anyone end up with a TON of liquid in their mouth? I do! I did it with a teaspoon of coconut oil and by the time I was done, my mouth was loaded w/ liquid...do I make too much spit or something?
Nope, Your mouth is doing what it's supposed to. I learned a while ago that amylase wasn't the only enzyme in saliva, and there are oil enzymes as well.
You have a mouth full of oil, and your mouth is adding more saliva to try to help break it down. Normally we chew and swallow the food and saliva together but since we aren't swallowing more and more saliva builds up.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:04 PM   #276
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AmyLiz
Stats: pregnant
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: April 3, 2011
Ok, so I've been OP'ing for a week now. I only go 10-15 min, and it's not every day.

So I was AMAZED by what happened just now.

I have a permanent retainer behind my bottom front teeth, and since I haven't been to a dentist in years, I have a ton of nasty tartar buildup down there. When I started OP'ing, I also brushed after then used a dental pick at my tartar buildup to try and dislodge some of it. I would get minimal results, but stuck with it.

Well, today I started picking, and I got a nice peice of tartar removed after a few minutes. I kept going, and got HUGE pieces of tartar removed....this is stuff that has been building for years.....I couldn't believe it! It was so nasty lol. But I have enough room in there again to use my floss threaders (if i even need to do that anymore.) So I'm SOLD on oil pulling for plaque and tartar removal. I can't imagine how clean and tartar-free they're going to look after months of swishing
Old 08-03-2011, 05:05 PM   #277
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Amy, I'm sold on OPing too. I haven't been doing it as long as you, just since Sunday but I'm loving the feel of my teeth and on my way to work this morning, I kept looking in the rear-view mirror to see how pearly white my teeth are. I've been watching tv, reading emails or facebook while swishing, so the 20 minutes fly by.

Sounds like you're getting amazing results!
Old 08-03-2011, 06:28 PM   #278
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
WOE: LC/HF
Start Date: 7/17/13
So do you brush your teeth before you do this or instead of it or after?! This sounds fascinating!
luvmybabyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #279
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AmyLiz
Stats: pregnant
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: April 3, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybabyhead View Post
So do you brush your teeth before you do this or instead of it or after?! This sounds fascinating!
I've been brushing after, just to get the last remnants of oil out of my mouth...i'm not sure if it really matters though.
AmyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:54 AM   #280
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Last night I met up with a girlfriend who I haven't seen in awhile - she's as beautiful as ever, always has been... so after we did our initial greetings, telling eachother how good one another looked, I noticed how great her teeth looked, not that they ever looked bad but they were so white! She said "I'm doing something called oil pulling with coconut oil". I told her, Oh yes, I know what it is (thanks to this thread).

She has been doing it only 3 weeks, 20 minutes each time and she loves the results - white/bright teeth. Though she said that she is thinking of changing oil to either sesame or sunflower because she isn't getting extra energy that she expected from the coconut oil. Honestly, I didn't know that an energy boost was a benefit of op'ing but if so, are either of those other oils better?

I'm happy with the coconut oil and love the taste but I haven't been diligent with doing it - after seeing her teeth looking so great, I made a promise to myself to do it nightly.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #281

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybabyhead View Post
I found that if I flossed before hand, the oil went into the places I need the most. I don't always OP first thing in the morning, sometimes I do it in the evening, and flossing gets any food out of spaces and lets the oil flow in.

In the morning, I will sometimes OP after brushing and flossing, as an oil massage for my gums, and so that any gooey icky doesn't prevent the oil from making the best contact with all surfaces.

i have no one way. sometimes I brush before, sometimes after.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:11 AM   #282
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
That's great! Cure Tooth Decay recommends coconut oil or sesame oil for the oil pulling. Not sure about sunflower oil, but if it is extracted with heat and/or solvents I wouldn't use it. An energy boost might occur if the oil pulling is drawing out substantial toxins, since those often make people feel fatigued and tired.

After the oil pull, I brush or use a waterpik with Celtic sea salt as recommended by Cure Tooth Decay.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:31 AM   #283
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 142/119.6/115
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 2014
It seems coconut oil is the best to use. I want to make sure I have the basics down. YOu use a tsp of coconut oil ( not use what brand) and swish it in and out between your teeth for 20 mins. Then you want to rise your mouth with sea slat and water. How much sea salt to water and for how long. The reason I am intrested is I have been coughing up something odd. It looks like small little clear gel like balls. No idea what that is.
Idreamofweightloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:57 AM   #284
Major LCF Poster!

Hi. I use a few tablespoons of coconut oil when I do it. I also mix in coq10 powder but that's not really necessary. Then I use a good sea salt, about 1/2 tsp, with some water for the rinse. If I am brushing teeth I also use sea salt instead of toothpaste. The sea salt should be a light grey or other color, not just plain white like you see in the supermarket.

Those little clear balls, maybe they are from candida or something like that.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:04 AM   #285
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rice paddie
Stats: 259/200/155
WOE: a little of this plan, a little of that plan...
Start Date: 6/4/11
It just amazes me the stuff I learn on these message boards. I've never heard of OP but I'm definitely open to trying it.....especially if all of the associated dental health effects I read about in this thread are true!

Now, which oil to use.....coconut or sesame.....decisions, decisions....
rice paddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:15 AM   #286
Major LCF Poster!

I would say if brushing, brush before oil pulling. Cure Tooth Decay thinks sometimes gum disease is actually caused by brushing teeth, because it leaves a lot of stuff around the gum/tooth interface. It says if brushing teeth, to then use a waterpik to make sure to clean the stuff out around just below the gum line.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:23 PM   #287

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idreamofweightloss View Post
It seems coconut oil is the best to use. I want to make sure I have the basics down. YOu use a tsp of coconut oil ( not use what brand) and swish it in and out between your teeth for 20 mins. Then you want to rise your mouth with sea slat and water. How much sea salt to water and for how long. The reason I am intrested is I have been coughing up something odd. It looks like small little clear gel like balls. No idea what that is.
it's probably just phlegm from your lungs. I do that sometimes. it's just like some dust or something got in and your lungs gelled around to to keep it from irritating and then it is worked back up to where you can cough it out. It seems you cough for no reason and then zoom, this little bubble flies out!

No need to be worried IMO, if it's just clear and gel like. It it were green or brown, I'd be worried cause it could be either infection or blood mixed in.
I'm not a doctor I just play one on LCF

I need to get a waterpic. any brand or model suggestions? there are so many out there and so many stories of crappy designs. any recommendation is better than trusting the company reviews.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 08-26-2011 at 12:24 PM..
Old 08-26-2011, 12:57 PM   #288
Major LCF Poster!

Hi metqa. I was going to get the standard sinkside Waterpik. It had good reviews on Amazon. I think they're around $50 and it looks like Walmart carries them. The cordless ones just don't look like they're going to do the job. Cure Tooth Decay recommends putting celtic sea salt in the waterpik water. Says it might decrease the lifespan of the waterpik but it is still worth it to just replace the waterpik more often then.

The dentist gave me one of those Philips sonicare toothbrushes for the gumline. I can't quite get used to it, it is just way too intense.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #289
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carrielyn
Stats: 186/177/140
WOE: SBD
Start Date: restarting 1/18/11
I like the cordless waterpik but then I've not tried the other so I can't compare but I can take the cordless one into the shower with me. I use a diluted mixture of water and peroxide based on what my hygienist told me. She said some use their mouthwash diluted but studies have shown it doesn't do any better than water.
carrielyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:48 PM   #290
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Feelin'Great!
I've read that you should brush your teeth after pulling because you want to brush away any debris, bacteria, and/or toxins you bring out during the process. They say you don't want to leave that lingering in your mouth and on your teeth. Just another way to think about it.
Feelin'Great! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #291
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eatin_meat
Stats: 160/154/135 - 5"6'
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 8/23/2011
I do oil pulling currently. I've always had problem skin. With the oil, my skin isn't perfect, but it stays at about an 8 out of 10 and I think my skin will age better because of it. Plus, it is cheaper than beauty products.

I have oily, breakout-prone skin, so I only use oils that are completely non-comedogenic (0 on the 5-point scale). For me, that is castor oil and sunflower oil. I also add a few drops of tea tree oil.

Wait, I think I'm talking about the wrong kind? I'm talking about skin care, LOL!

Last edited by eatin_meat; 08-27-2011 at 05:46 PM..
eatin_meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #292
Major LCF Poster!

There is an oil pulling you can do on the body too, a common one is using a heated castor oil compress in linen against the liver.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:10 AM   #293
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Feelin'Great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
There is an oil pulling you can do on the body too, a common one is using a heated castor oil compress in linen against the liver.
Never heard of this... tell me more!
Feelin'Great! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:27 PM   #294
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelin'Great! View Post
Never heard of this... tell me more!
Check out the book Green, Green and Lean, he has many such detox plans in there. It's been a while since I read it, but the castor compress wrapped in flannel done under certain conditions is supposed to draw toxins from the liver I believe is what he says.

Last edited by porcupine73; 08-28-2011 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: flannel not linen
Old 08-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #295
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bgraham
Stats: 222/155/140
WOE: Atkins
I did oil pulling for the first time yesterday and then again today. I used coconut oil. I lasted 20 min both times but only used about 1/2 tsp. because I wanted to make sure I wouldn't gag. I'm gonna try a full tsp tomorrow.
bgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:26 PM   #296
Major LCF Poster!

Go for it, it works great. If the coconut oil is liquid I just use a straw to suck up a mouth full. I figure the more oil you're using, the more toxins and junk it can hold.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:53 PM   #297
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Squigglywiggly
Stats: 220/193.2/160
WOE: low carbing/leptin reset
Start Date: June 2010
Okay I am going to be brave and try this once I have finished my raw egg smoothie LOL

My family already thinks I am weird low carbing so it will be fun to tell them about this eventually LOL

I will start small and see how I go - hoping not to gag!

I have a lot of tartar buildup and inflamed gums - am crap about brushing my teeth, so it will be interesting to see what happens. I read Vitamin K2 MK4 is great for getting rid of plaque too but we can't buy it easily here in New Zealand.

Well, smoothie finished, here goes with the oil pulling!!!!!
Squigglywiggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #298
Senior LCF Member

Okay this is weird feeling! LOL

I am just using 1 tsp and I can feel it frothing up - odd! Not sure I can even make 5 mins this first time but I will try!
Old 08-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #299
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnF
Stats: W:218/172/165 - H:5'9.5" - Age 55
WOE: LC
Start Date: July 28, 2012
I am two days into trying this and maybe it's psychological but my teeth look brighter to me. I also have a loose tooth with seems less precarious. Can't swish for more than 10 minutes yet, but plan to work my way up. Also added some xylitol to the oil.
AnnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:19 PM   #300
Senior LCF Member

10 minutes is impressive! I made it 5 before I started gagging! LOL

The froth just got too much with even 1 tsp - any ideas how I can extend the time without gagging? It wasn't the taste but the frothy texture.....