Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Blondie97OK
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: 2000
Naturopathic suggestion for Gastritis?

I recently had a scope of my stomach and the GI said I had a touch of gastritis (inflammation of the stomach lining) and prescribed Protonix (a PPI). Outside of the fact that I exhibit symptoms of low stomach acid production, I prefer to not take drugs to mask symptoms. I will research on the net for this answer, but was just wondering if anyone has a remedy they have tried and found to be successful for healing the inflammation.

Thanks!
Blondie97OK is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tori
Stats: 5'10 223/185/170
WOE: WWPP - Gluten free
Start Date: March 13, 2010/Jan 2, 2013
my grandmother swears by apple cider vinegar for hers.... she takes a 'gulp' (lol not kidding) 3-4 times a day ....not sure it's for everyone but she doesn't need her meds anymore
Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: fawn
yep, ACV as well as
Coconut Oil
Kombucha (the beneficial acids will help I promise)
L-Glutamine
Digestive Enzymes
Betaine HCL

Zyflamend by New Chapter

ginger added to kimchi is also nice for inflammation
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Blondie97OK
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: 2000
Guess I should have mentioned that before the Gastritis was discovered, I was taking Braggs ACV 3-4 TBS/day. I was also taking Betaine HCL and digestive enzymes with each meal. I also eat 2-3 TBS of EVCO several times/week as well as I add fresh ginger root to many of my meals. Doctor says that the ACV and HCL probably caused the inflammation to begin with - although I don't agree with that. His only answer is PPIs and stool softeners. Ummm.....sorry, that's not an answer....that's putting a band-aid on the problem.

I was scoped from both ends because I have been experiencing HORRIBLE GI issues. Severe bloating with everything I eat....even coffee in the morning...(and I eat a whole food diet for the most part)...as well as severe constipation....nothing was working to clean me out (not even a bottle of Magnesium Citrate). I have also gained 15 lbs in the last year...which just doesn't make sense given I eat a healthy whole food diet and exercise almost every day of the week. Anyway, I was tested for H Pylori...negative. Through research, I thought my symptoms were caused from low production of stomach acid which is why I started the Betaine HCL and digestive enzymes. Symptoms definitely improved, but not completely resolved. I'm still trying to figure out what is causing the GI symptoms and out of shear frustration, I quit taking ALL supplements, ACV, HCL, etc. on May 26....except for the digestive enzymes.

I have never heard of Kombucha...will definitely look into that...as well as the Zyflamend.

ETA - I also take Jarrow Dophilus + FOS (12 billion organisms/gram) daily

"Faith is not Believing God Can, it is Knowing God Will"
~Author Unknown~

"IT IS WHAT IT IS"

Last edited by Blondie97OK; 06-08-2010 at 12:19 PM..
Blondie97OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:52 PM   #5

ahh ok, time for stool testing I believe.

You might also try a heavy hitting fermented probiotic like Ohira's.

You could have a parasite. Unfortunately, you might need to pay out of pocket and see someone who will test for this type of thing.

When you added the HCL, no burning pain?

I wouldn't stop the Coconut Oil either. I think it's crucial for you right now.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Road2Thin
Stats: 237/???/175?? or until satisfied Highest 260
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: December 13, 2010 - restart
2-3 teaspoons of ACV and 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon baking soda in water -- works wonders for me. You can take 3 or 4 times a day as needed.
Road2Thin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:39 PM   #7

Have you been tested for H-Pylori?
Old 06-11-2010, 12:41 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
Yes I have Gastritis and I love how Kombucha makes me feel.
afuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:36 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JunkInMyTrunk
Is the severe bloating a symptom of gastritis? Not to worry you, but the severe bloating and constipation are also signs of ovarian cancer.

Dr. Oz (not one of my favorites, but it was late at night and there wasn't much to watch) had a segment, kind of like, "name this disease". He gave symptoms and told their story and what they had been treated for, then what they really had. I guessed the ovarian cancer just from the bloated belly and constipation.

Please delve deeper into this and see your gynecologist. If you are already doing what everyone else does when they have gastritis and it isn't helping, maybe it isn't gastritis. With just a touch of imflammed stomach, you probably shouldn't have such severe symptoms.

It won't hurt to get it checked out.
JunkInMyTrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:39 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Molly Bloom
Stats: 280/231/150
WOE: Counting Carbs
Start Date: 03/21/2010
The best way to increase stomach acid is with bitters. These are bitter tasting herbs. When they contact the bitter receptors on the tongue this stimulates the vagus nerve, which in turn kicks up stomach acid, bile and pancreatic enzymes. They also have a cleansing effect on the liver and a mild stimulatory effect on the intestines. Some bitters also contain some strong laxatives, so watch your dosage. You can find bitters in any health food store.

Zinc and B vitamins are also essential for the production of stomach acid. I recommend 50mg of zinc daily with your largest meal, and either high B vitamin foods (rice bran, oat bran, nutritional yeast) or a B50 complex twice daily with meals.

The supplement TMG (trimethylglycine) is also useful for increasing stomach acid. Recommended dose is 500mg three times daily with meals.

For the intestines to build up the flora I recommend kefir and fibers. Recommended dose on the kefir is a glass first thing in the morning and a glass before bed. Drink a little water afterward to rinse the acid off the teeth. For fiber I like rice bran, oat bran or FOS, which can be taken with meals.

If this does not take care of the bloating then you can add a little yucca root as a surfactant to cut down the fermentation. Yucca will also help the flora to grow.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:53 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Krissen
WOE: good question..
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkInMyTrunk View Post
Is the severe bloating a symptom of gastritis? Not to worry you, but the severe bloating and constipation are also signs of ovarian cancer.

Dr. Oz (not one of my favorites, but it was late at night and there wasn't much to watch) had a segment, kind of like, "name this disease". He gave symptoms and told their story and what they had been treated for, then what they really had. I guessed the ovarian cancer just from the bloated belly and constipation.

Please delve deeper into this and see your gynecologist. If you are already doing what everyone else does when they have gastritis and it isn't helping, maybe it isn't gastritis. With just a touch of imflammed stomach, you probably shouldn't have such severe symptoms.

It won't hurt to get it checked out.
I agree with this. Also, are you on any meds? some meds are hard on the stomach lining and can cause constipation as well; like pain meds- even OTC like Advil. Do you drink alcohol? That also can be hard on the lining...just some other ideas for you to consider. Something has caused your body to produce these symptoms..I wouldn't stop investigating.
Krissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:39 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micatee
Papaya enzyme does wonders for me!
micatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GFLaura
Stats: 200/193.6/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6/8/2010
For me the only relief I had from my Gastritis is when I went gluten free. PPI's did absolutely nothing for me, for years.
GFLaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:14 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
I'm wondering about the h-pylori also. My husband had it years ago, about the time I heard something on the radio on the way to work about it. We used to joke about the fact that we should have stock in the company that makes Tums. I insisted he get tested. He ended up having it (it's more common than we know actually). Then, for the heck of it I got tested. My numbers were twice as bad as his and I had absolutely NO symptoms. So we both ended up going through the month of pills at different times. As I recall, 4 pills, four times a day (one was like pepto mismol).

It was really pretty easy.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:44 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: maelenebaby
hi i kno wat ur going thru i had gastritis for years and it was undiagnosed so i was in pain a lot until i found out what it was. it is true it is from low stomach acid and usually acv or digestive enzymes are supposed to fix this but when it is inflamed u have to eat very light foods because of the lining of the stomach. what i did was eat a lot of coconut and coconut juice this healed my condition but it took some time. also get some kefir at the health food store it has live strains of probiotics and it soothes your stomach lining. i also purchased these gas pills that were at the dollar tree store and if i am out and about and my stomach hurts these seem to help within minutes. hope it works for u.
maelenebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:09 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelenebaby View Post
hi i kno wat ur going thru i had gastritis for years and it was undiagnosed so i was in pain a lot until i found out what it was. it is true it is from low stomach acid and usually acv or digestive enzymes are supposed to fix this but when it is inflamed u have to eat very light foods because of the lining of the stomach. what i did was eat a lot of coconut and coconut juice this healed my condition but it took some time. also get some kefir at the health food store it has live strains of probiotics and it soothes your stomach lining. i also purchased these gas pills that were at the dollar tree store and if i am out and about and my stomach hurts these seem to help within minutes. hope it works for u.
Good for you. Repairing that gut through a few regenerations with healing foods is valuable. Do you take advantage of the benefits of kombucha? Probiotics?