Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
cj1
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,966
Gallery: cj1
Stage 4 kidney disease

I just found out that I am in Stage 4 kidney disease. Does anyone else here suffer from that?
cj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Melrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 7,094
Gallery: Melrose
WOE: Atkins Again
Start Date: Restarting: 11.11.13
CJ,

I am sorry to hear this. My late husband was on dialysis due to diabetic complications. I am not sure what the stage means, do you need to be placed on dialysis?
Melrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
cj1
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,966
Gallery: cj1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose View Post
CJ,

I am sorry to hear this. My late husband was on dialysis due to diabetic complications. I am not sure what the stage means, do you need to be placed on dialysis?
Stage 4 means I should start planning for dialysis or a transplant It scares me to death. I was on a medication for a heart condition and it is the medication that caused my kidneys to fail. It has improved a slight bit since I was in the hospital but doesn't appear to be getting any better now. Stage 5 is the last stage and that is when dialysis/transplant is the only option. I am just praying to keep it at Stage 4 for as long as possible but would love hints on just how to do this.
I am so sorry about your husband.
cj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!
 
LeanLioness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Belleville, IL (St Louis Metro area)
Posts: 5,751
Gallery: LeanLioness
Stats: 250/205/130 (-45 since Feb)
WOE: PBP / Paleo combined with IF
Start Date: Last restart: 02/06/2011
My mom was a Stage 5 person and she was on Dialysis with Lupus and hypothyroid disorder for 12, almost 13 years.

I think eating healthy, getting some exercise and taking the best care of yourself that you can manage to do is the most important thing to do.
LeanLioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
.
 
ravenrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 9,670
Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
poor thing! *hug* I have some kidney damage, also from a med, and my nephrologist tells me not to eat red meat more than once a week. this includes pork. It is very scary. Good luck with it!

oh, and my mother had a transplant in 2001, and she is doing GREAT. She was 75 at the time.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:28 AM   #6
cj1
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,966
Gallery: cj1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanLioness View Post
My mom was a Stage 5 person and she was on Dialysis with Lupus and hypothyroid disorder for 12, almost 13 years.

I think eating healthy, getting some exercise and taking the best care of yourself that you can manage to do is the most important thing to do.
Thank you so much for responding. My mom suffered from Lupus also so I know what your mom went through. Thanks for showing me that you can still live even on dialysis.
cj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:30 AM   #7
cj1
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,966
Gallery: cj1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
poor thing! *hug* I have some kidney damage, also from a med, and my nephrologist tells me not to eat red meat more than once a week. this includes pork. It is very scary. Good luck with it!

oh, and my mother had a transplant in 2001, and she is doing GREAT. She was 75 at the time.
Thanks, raven, I appreciate your answering. I was also told to hold the red meat to once a week and go for mainly chicken and fish and only a palm full of that a day. It is very scary. Good luck with yours also. I hate that meds caused this for both of us. Following dr's orders is not always the right thing I guess. My dr. let me go for two years before telling me I needed blood work. He just kept refilling my scripts without seeing me. I had no idea there was any chance of this side effect from my heart meds.
cj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:38 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!
 
LeanLioness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Belleville, IL (St Louis Metro area)
Posts: 5,751
Gallery: LeanLioness
Stats: 250/205/130 (-45 since Feb)
WOE: PBP / Paleo combined with IF
Start Date: Last restart: 02/06/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj1 View Post
Thank you so much for responding. My mom suffered from Lupus also so I know what your mom went through. Thanks for showing me that you can still live even on dialysis.
Yes, you can live a full life even on dialysis. My mom did at home dialysis CAPD, she had a catheter in her stomach. We went on vacations, etc when I was a kid.

However, she gave up on life and believe it or not, she starved herself to death from anorexia. I believe if she had not done this, she would still be alive today.

That is why I stress eating healthy, lots of fresh foods and eat plenty to keep your nutrition up. I remember seeing my mom eat a handful of strawberries and that would be all she ate for days. She would drink black coffee and water in between..............

I am being tested for Lupus, adrenal gland fatigue, Pituitary issues and thyroid issues right now.

It is driving me nuts.
__________________
Love shopping in my closet and bins for clothes I forgot about!!!
LeanLioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:36 AM   #9
cj1
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,966
Gallery: cj1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanLioness View Post
Yes, you can live a full life even on dialysis. My mom did at home dialysis CAPD, she had a catheter in her stomach. We went on vacations, etc when I was a kid.

However, she gave up on life and believe it or not, she starved herself to death from anorexia. I believe if she had not done this, she would still be alive today.

That is why I stress eating healthy, lots of fresh foods and eat plenty to keep your nutrition up. I remember seeing my mom eat a handful of strawberries and that would be all she ate for days. She would drink black coffee and water in between..............

I am being tested for Lupus, adrenal gland fatigue, Pituitary issues and thyroid issues right now.

It is driving me nuts.
That is so sad about your mom. They say that your sense of taste is one of the first things to go and that you lose your appetite. I am definitely not at that point yet though things don't taste quite as good as they used to. I am a stress eater so always have something going in my mouth. I will be waiting to hear how you do with your Lupus test....my sister and I are both waiting to be tested also. I will say a prayer for good results for you.
cj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:05 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 6
Gallery: bawlmer-hon
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 03/29/2010
WHAT MEDS?

This is scary...can you guys tell me what type of heart meds/meds you were on?
bawlmer-hon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:38 PM   #11
cj1
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,966
Gallery: cj1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawlmer-hon View Post
This is scary...can you guys tell me what type of heart meds/meds you were on?
I was on Lisinopril for two and a half years. The dr. has determined completely that this is what caused the problem since after I was taken off of the med my levels slowly started going back up...still not good, but enough to take me off the transplant/dialysis list for a bit. I thank God for every day.
cj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:22 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!
 
dartstar1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: So calif
Posts: 5,557
Gallery: dartstar1
Stats: 273/256/160 starting again 1-26-12 @259 4-1-12 242
WOE: ATKINS 72 <8
Start Date: 10/12/2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj1 View Post
I just found out that I am in Stage 4 kidney disease. Does anyone else here suffer from that?
dartstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:45 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member
 
Molly Bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 367
Gallery: Molly Bloom
Stats: 280/231/150
WOE: Counting Carbs
Start Date: 03/21/2010
Oh honey, I'm so sorry. It's not a death sentence however.

Easy things to support the kidneys...parsley. Parsley is wonderful for kidney support, easy and not an herb that can have contradictions with meds.

There is something called Nettle Leaf. You can get it in tea form and it's very safe.

Of course you should ask you doctor about the Nettle, but I'm sure he wouldn't care about the parsley.

I wish you godspeed......
Molly Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:49 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5
Gallery: MissyP
Stats: 250/208/150
WOE: Atkins
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. My mom has been in renal failure for almost four years. She will be having transplant surgery on July 13th. They believe her Kidney damage was caused by Chemo she had to take to fight colon cancer 6 years ago.

People who do dialysis function very well. My mom has led a pretty normal life thus far. I know it is scary news to hear though and I wish you the best.
MissyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:39 PM   #15
Thyroid Patient Advocate
 
nonstickpam107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 17,682
Gallery: nonstickpam107
Um, I've been on lisinipril/HCTZ for over eight years. Is this something that causes renal failure for everyone? I must know over 80 people on it, and have been a long time. ???

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:37 PM   #16
Always on, slightly off
 
CindyCRNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 6,033
Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstickpam107 View Post
Um, I've been on lisinipril/HCTZ for over eight years. Is this something that causes renal failure for everyone? I must know over 80 people on it, and have been a long time. ???

Pam
I've worn myself out looking for the link between Lisinipril and renal failure. The only link I can see is if your BP was lowered too much, or too much for you, and your kidneys were hypoperfused. Let me explain it this way: Lets say your normal BP ran 180/90. Lets say you had been like that for awhile. To prevent kidney damage, the kidneys narrow or constricts their arteries to keep blood flow normal. Then you get on a med that lowers your BP to 110/60. Thats beautiful on paper but your kidneys are going, Hey, wheres my blood flow!! Your labs may look better now because your BP may be up a little. But.....I may be wrong. But this is the only link I could see.

Do you know what your creatinine is and your potassium level is ? Do you have a copy of your blood work?
__________________
July Start: 125 pounds

My Avi is my horse Chakka and me Longview horse trials 5/14

"Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here!"

Official freer of canned worms

Find me on Facebook: Cindy Cavanagh
CindyCRNA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:02 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 3,205
Gallery: watcher513
I'm really curious also. DH can't take it because of the nagging persistant cough some people get. My bff's been taking it for a long time For her kidneys. She has one functioning kidney.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:57 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tyrone Georgia U.S.A.
Posts: 1,223
Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
There is something relativtily new you may want to recearch and talk to your dr. about.
There have been a couple of studies using Benfortiamine a new SPECIAL form of vitamine B1 that may reverse some kidney damage. Sorry I did not bookmark the studies
and it has to be Benfortiamine regular B1 does not do this.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:20 AM   #19
Thyroid Patient Advocate
 
nonstickpam107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 17,682
Gallery: nonstickpam107
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
I've worn myself out looking for the link between Lisinipril and renal failure. The only link I can see is if your BP was lowered too much, or too much for you, and your kidneys were hypoperfused. Let me explain it this way: Lets say your normal BP ran 180/90. Lets say you had been like that for awhile. To prevent kidney damage, the kidneys narrow or constricts their arteries to keep blood flow normal. Then you get on a med that lowers your BP to 110/60. Thats beautiful on paper but your kidneys are going, Hey, wheres my blood flow!! Your labs may look better now because your BP may be up a little. But.....I may be wrong. But this is the only link I could see.

Do you know what your creatinine is and your potassium level is ? Do you have a copy of your blood work?
Yeah, my creatinine and potassium levels are great. Always are, always have been (I have them checked twice a year cuz I have endocrine disease).

My Lis/HCTZ is the smallest amount they make..and I called my doctor and he said that my kidney function and liver function tests are great (and that my cholesterol and tri glys make every jealous, ha ha).

I see a LOT of studies about lisinopril and kidney failure...a LOT, but of the eight largest studies, the dosage is INSANE compared to mine. Maybe it's the high dosage? Hmm.

OMG, I about coughed up a LUNG on Cardura...I remember that well. I have lung disease and that was NOT pleasant.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:19 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 17
Gallery: NoraL
Hi Everyone...this is a very interesting thread. My husband asked me to post this question..He had been on lisinopril 5mg for around 4 months, then the doc upped the strength. He is on lisinopril HCTZ 10/12.5mg since April. He has had a cough on and off in the beginning, but since April when the meds got strenthened..he has had a terrible cough and throat tickle that gets him up at night 2 or 3 times. Out of nowhere all day comes the tickle, watery eyes sometimes---and he coughs up phlegm. Also in April he started Chantix to quit his cigarette habit. We are wondering if his problems are from the lisinopril? or ---maybe his body detoxing from the tobacco withdrawal? He is pretty miserable with this...he says he hates the phlegm!!! Has anyone you know had these problems???

Last edited by NoraL; 07-25-2010 at 09:21 AM..
NoraL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:34 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!
 
susique333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 55 years old, I live in Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 1,519
Gallery: susique333
Stats: started at 230+ Type2 Diabetes Insulin
WOE: LOW CARB, higher fat
Start Date: summer 2007 RESTART May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj1 View Post
I was on Lisinopril for two and a half years. The dr. has determined completely that this is what caused the problem since after I was taken off of the med my levels slowly started going back up...still not good, but enough to take me off the transplant/dialysis list for a bit. I thank God for every day.
I have taken 20mg of Lisinopril and 10mg of HCTZ for 14 years! My Dr told me that Lisinopril actually protects kidneys! I get kidney function tests every 4 months when I get my diabetes checked.

Nora, in the package insert it says that this blood pressure med can cause an annoying cough. He might ask his Dr.
susique333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:51 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 17
Gallery: NoraL
Thanks SusieQue for the reply. Yes, I remember reading that in the insert, but there was also the new rx for chantix he started right around the same time. Today our pharmacist said that he believed it is the lisinopril causing the tickle and cough...he said it does that. DH is now in the donut hole til the rest of the year (ouch), We cannot afford this!! That means he will have to pay full costs of his prescriptions til it goes over $2500.00 He is on plavix, crestor, lisinopril, singulair, verapamil and niaspan...also proair.
He is at a good weight for his height and body frame. He does have a sweet tooth, but trys to tone it down by eating sugar free cookies..He uses equal in his coffee, loves a hamburger on a white bun twice a week. He eats fish and chicken a lot, but unfortunatley has started drinking cokes now that it is so hot here in Florida. Never drinks alcohol ever. He doesn't need to lose any weight, but does anyone have some good suggestions on a new way of eating that could help him get off all these meds?? He has not had a cigarette in 5 days now, so should be able to stay off the chantix. To refill that one alone would have cost us $124.00 because the prescription plan went into donut hole status as of today..
We are on social security with not a whole lot else to live on, so we have to be prudent with our income.

Last edited by NoraL; 07-25-2010 at 03:54 PM..
NoraL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:29 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 3,205
Gallery: watcher513
Nora, it's the Lisinopril that has the cough as an interaction, not the HCTZ.

From my msg. #17 - "DH can't take it because of the nagging persistant cough some people get." It's more common than they think.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:28 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!
 
rockgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Hooterville
Posts: 7,279
Gallery: rockgal
A good friend's mother has been bordering on stage 5 for a while now - she has found that really watching what she eats as well as staying away from salt especially has really helped her.
rockgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
BABSY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: MCKINNEY,TX
Posts: 4,775
Gallery: BABSY
I was told I have protein in my urine and I am worried. They have the results of my microalbumin but they freakin have not read it yet.
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:23 PM   #26
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 14
Gallery: Lymph
Lisinopril often causes cough. You can ask your doctor to switch to an ARB instead of an ACE for blood pressure.

and FWIW - most of those meds are on the 4-5$ lists at walmart/target/CVS et al, and if they aren't, have your doctor switch the scripts to ones that are in the same class. no reason to pay more for a statin or blood pressure med when there are effective ones there.
Lymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:14 PM   #27
Guest
 
Houston Heather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 9,846
Gallery: Houston Heather
Stats: 228/166/160 Waist: 42/31/31
WOE: Atkins 2002 Ongoing Weight Loss/pre maintenance
Start Date: Feb 26, 2008 (second and last time)
Nora, ask your doctor about Wellbutrin.

It's an antidepressant and an older stopsmoking prescription. It is BOUND to be cheaper, too. I think my prescription costs about $10 a month generic. I have better luck with the "Mylan" brand. The yellow tablets make me very queasy.

My Dad and I both have chronic cough issues from acid reflux.
Houston Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:12 PM   #28
Way too much time on my hands!
 
lisabinil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: suburbs of Chicago
Posts: 17,997
Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Heather View Post
Nora, ask your doctor about Wellbutrin.

It's an antidepressant and an older stopsmoking prescription. It is BOUND to be cheaper, too. I think my prescription costs about $10 a month generic. I have better luck with the "Mylan" brand. The yellow tablets make me very queasy.

My Dad and I both have chronic cough issues from acid reflux.

Heather!
Sorry for the Threadjack OP but just had to say hi.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:51 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!
 
tybeeanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Northern, IL
Posts: 2,865
Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
Me to Sorry But HI HEATHER...
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:15 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.