Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: maxell
Stats: 5-10 205/168/175
WOE: Modified Low Carb Diet
Start Date: 10/21/2009
Could Cheese Be Responsible for My Chronic Constipation?

I'm a sufferer of chronic constipation for the last 5 years. It's gotten worse in the last 1.5 years. And during the last 3 months, even worse.

I'm only 45 years old, suffer from T2 diabetes (dx'ed 6/2009), Sjogren's Syndrome (dx'ed 11/2009), also gout and/or rheumatoid arthritis. I am 5-10, used to be 200 lbs. but have now slimmed to 160, thanks to my low-carb diet. While constipation preceded my low-carb diet, it's gotten worse while I've attempted to normalize my blood sugar. Since I also have gout attacks, I try to avoid high-protein, purine-laden foods like bacon, anchovies, organ meats, broccoli, asparagus, etc.

As a result, for the last 5 years, I've been relying heavily on dairy items: eggs, milk, and cheese. Because of diabetes, I've cut out milk and only consume heavy cream with my coffee and tea, these days. Since cheese has hardly any carbs, I've nearly tripled my cheese consumption in the last 3 months: I eat hard cheese liberally, snack on cheddar, Swiss, and pepperjack cheese cubes, always sprinkle shredded cheese on my scrambled eggs, omelette, salad, and meats. I also consume a lot of cottage, farmer's, Ricotta and Ciligiene cheese. The Ricotta is my favorite since I make "calzone" with Joseph's lavash, Ricotta cheese, and spinach.

Could my increased cheese consumption be responsible for my constipation? Coincidentally, my constipation first appeared when I started having gout attacks 5Y ago. It's gotten worse under my low-carb diet.

I'm also fully aware that T2 diabets and Sjogren's may cause neuropathy and, by extension, constipation. I've been reading up on this. But the period of my suffering with these autoimmune diseases is just too brief. I tend to think making this simple, dietary decision may make a difference. Nothing to report yet. My horrible constipation was 2 nights ago. I've had runny bowel movements since then due to having consumed massive amounts of magnesium citrate and Milk of Magnesia. I don't wanna be hooked on laxatives, so I need to find a solution soon. I had my colonoscopy in December and nothing was found.

I only found yesterday through Internet postings that cheese may be responsible constipation, due to its "viscid residue" -- only 20-30% of cheese gets absorbed through digestion. What remains moves very slowly through intestines. Does anyone have a tale of constipation involving cheese?
maxell is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
It could be the cheese, and the only way to tell is to eliminate it for a while, and see what the difference is. An added benefit might be for your blood glucose.

I'm not diabetic, but I'm hypothyroid, and that tends to increase blood sugar. To try to avoid diabetes, I eat like a diabetic. However, when I dropped all cheese, my BG number (that had been steady for several years) dropped 7 points, and my endo said that it was probably because I'd eliminated the dairy which has a high sugar content.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:07 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yellobrix
Stats: 199/175/150
WOE: Tweaking & Discovering
Start Date: Over & Over... 'Til I Get It Right!
It might be the cheese indirectly - and you might try doing some things to change the environment inside your gut. For example, I eat strained whole milk yogurt, fairly low carb and it is a living food. Also, I take a probiotic with some type of soluble fiber. (Insoluble fiber, aka "roughage" sometimes will not be helpful at all.) However, soluble fiber such a grapefruit pectin or FOS can serve as a sort of food for your probiotic. Some supplements come with both friendly bacteria and soluble fiber in the same tablet.
Yellobrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:59 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MagicalHome
As what i have know that Eating several times a day regulates your blood sugar. There are many snacks you can healthfully indulge in such as with salsa, one-half cantaloupe with cottage cheese, low-fat cheese melted on whole-grain bread, cut-up veggies with a dip of non-fat yogurt seasoned with oregano, Parmesan cheese and lemon pepper seasoning, a glass of V8 juice or a handful of blue berries. Mybe we can practices this kind of ton regulate our blood sugar
MagicalHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: maxell
Stats: 5-10 205/168/175
WOE: Modified Low Carb Diet
Start Date: 10/21/2009
I've been thinking about trying probiotics or digestive enzymes. I just don't know enough about them, however. And I need to evaluate the gluten/wheat/dairy angle a bit more to make an informed decision about dropping any of them. But I've dropped hard cheese for now, and yes, it's a lot better. I've also limited my coffee and tea to 1 cup each. Before, aside from eating lots of hard cheese, I was dehydrating myself by drinking 2 cups of coffee and 5 cups of green tea daily. Combine that with insoluble fiber and you could be in trouble.

The worst constipation I ever had was when I consumed mega grams of fiber by eating Tortilla Factory Smart Carb torillas. Like 29g of fiber in one of them: I may have had 3. It may have been the insoluble kind. That was a memorable experience and I swore I would never consume that much fiber. I wish they disclose what type of fiber is in food. What is FOS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellobrix View Post
It might be the cheese indirectly - and you might try doing some things to change the environment inside your gut. For example, I eat strained whole milk yogurt, fairly low carb and it is a living food. Also, I take a probiotic with some type of soluble fiber. (Insoluble fiber, aka "roughage" sometimes will not be helpful at all.)
maxell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:42 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IzzyTheTerrible
Stats: 290/269/150
WOE: Listening to my body
Start Date: Every day is a new day. :)
It could be, I know cheese can be pretty rough. I now eat yogurt every day and take daily fiber supplements, just Walmart brand "Fiber Therapy" it's usually $4 when it's on sale, and it's frequently on sale, something like $5.

Calcium pills also bind me up.
IzzyTheTerrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:29 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yellobrix
Stats: 199/175/150
WOE: Tweaking & Discovering
Start Date: Over & Over... 'Til I Get It Right!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxell View Post
I've been thinking about trying probiotics or digestive enzymes. I just don't know enough about them, however.

The worst constipation I ever had was when I consumed mega grams of fiber by eating Tortilla Factory Smart Carb torillas. Like 29g of fiber in one of them: I may have had 3. It may have been the insoluble kind. That was a memorable experience and I swore I would never consume that much fiber. I wish they disclose what type of fiber is in food. What is FOS?
FOS = fructooligosaccharides. Sometimes you see that on the label of a probiotic formula. Basically, it is a water soluble fiber that ferments, which is to say, feeds the friendly bacteria. In nature, it is found in fruits.

Here's a useful wiki about fiber: Dietary fiber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And your experience with horrible constipation after consuming a large amount of roughage fiber? Not at all unusual! That type of fiber is a bulking agent, meaning that it absorbs a large amount of water and enlarges the stool. For someone who already has problems, that can make it more difficult to move along through the intestines, and is the reason why it is adviseable to drink a lot of water at the same time - otherwise, you'll end up with a rough, hard, dense stool. Ouch.

The soluble fiber is more about keeping the friendlies happy, and they will keep your intestines fit, are anti-inflammatory, and will help you have normal BM's. Probiotics definitely fall into the "can't hurt, might help" category of supplements. You are already teeming with bacteria, as are we all - now it's a matter of tweaking it in your favor!
Yellobrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:19 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: KrisA
Stats: 160/120/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/21/08
I have the same problem with dairy. I Googled dairy and constipation and found out that it's a reaction to the protein in dairy and cheese, especially hard cheese. The article said that cream cheese and mozzarella were OK for some reason. I've been avoiding dairy and I've been pretty good lately.

I can't take probiotics because most of the pills have some kind of cellulose as a filler in the capsule and I have diverticulitis. Set off a pretty good attack before I figured out what was going on.

Good luck to you and remember Google is your friend!

k
Old 03-18-2010, 10:39 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fabiola7386
Thanx for sharing

Drug Rehab
fabiola7386 is offline   Reply With Quote