Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: starlightlizzy
Low morning cortisol anyone??? Cordef, and adrenal supplements??

Hi everyone,

I am new to the boards.

I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder 6 years ago, and was put on AD's and anti-anxiety meds. The AD's made me feel worse so decided to go off of them. I am seeing a new DR, and she tested my adrenal glands. Here are the results.

6-8am 12 (depressed)
11-12noon 7 (normal)
4-5pm 15 (elevated)
10-12mid 22 (elevated)

She thinks that my anxiety has alot to do with the cortisol being high, as most of my anxiety starts around 1pm through the day. I can't take this anxiety anymore, it is holding me back from living my life. It's like a constant adrenaline feeling.

She prescribed me cortef 5mg to take in the morning cause I am so tired after getting my son to school at 7am that I go back to sleep all morning. I have no morning energy at all. I am afraid to take the cordef because I am afraid it might bring on more anxiety???? Does anyone have any anxiety issues and using this cordef?

She also put me on a creme called adrena calm to apply PM and night, adaptocrine, glysen to normalize blood sugar as it showed depressed insulin levels. Also 2000mg omega 3's.

Anyone have any experience with these supplements and if they have helped you?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Liz
starlightlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leilax
hello. I have secondary adrenal insufficiency, due to low acth and low cortisol. long story there.. anyways, I take cortef and I had extreme anxiety, especially at night. cortef (for me) is very calming, helps me think clearly.. basically, gives me life. No supplements helped me (I have wasted thousands on them), as I had either no reaction or an adverse reaction. but everyone is different. extreme anxiety is a symptom of low cortisol, at least in my case.
leilax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: starlightlizzy
Thanks for your reply. Do you have low cortisol all through the day or at certain times of the day? Mine is just low in the morning, and I feel so exhausted. The cortisol is very elevated when time to go to bed and I can't sleep for nothing. Between not sleeping good at night and having to get up at 6:00, plus the low cortisol, I feel exhausted!! Do you thin the cortef will help with the low cortisol in the morning without giving me more anxiety? My anxiety seems to be sky high starting at noon.
starlightlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:07 AM   #4
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
Well, cortisol should be highest in the am, and lowest in the pm. So, you can clearly see why you have 'anxiety'. The cortisol in the am will help, BUT I, personally, my own opinion, would want some testing to see WHY my cortisol is opposite. What is your diagnosis? Cuz you don't just 'have low morning cortisol' for no reason. You might want to be a little proactive and google: low morning cortisol, high night cortisol and see what you come up with.

I, also wasted some bucks on supplements, when in reality I have Hashimoto's autoimmune hypothyroidism (that's a TPO AB test, and you need thyroid testing TOO, like a Free T4, Free T3, not JUST a stupid TSH pituitary test) and that ran my adrenals down (of course, now, after 10 years of treated hypothyroidism with both T4 and T3, I feel really good).

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Amity79
Stats: Cushing's High 380 / Post-Cushing's 278 / Goal 199
WOE: Quasi Atkins
Start Date: 10/22/12
I have not been on this board in a few years. I just came back to look up a few recipes and I was going to start a post telling my story and what has happened to me.

Then I saw this thread...

Last year I was diagnosed with Cushing's Disease. High cortisol at night and low in the morning is Cushing's Disease. Mine was low-normal or normal in the day and high at night.

I had a hell of a time getting it diagnosed and had to fly from Houston (huge medical city full of idiot endocrinologist) to LA to see the Chief of Endocrinology at UCLA. I was diagnosed after aseveral test. I had surgery in march to remove the pit tumor. That unfortunately failed and I opted to have my adrenals removed last month.

Many cushies are cyclical and will not catch highs all the time.

PLEASE, PLEASE, look into this and don't let the doctors blow you off. I can't tell you how many other cushies I have met through all this that have horror stories of doctors failing to diagnose. They all said I would have to go to someone that specializes in Pit disorders to get someone that understands the disease. They were right. My last local endo couldn't make the call even though I had every symptom, high test results, and a big fat tumor on the MRI. I truelly don't understand why doctors are so hesitant to diagnose it. pm me if you have any questions.
Amity79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:28 PM   #6
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
Not only are they hesitant to diagnose Cushings, but also Addison's and Hashimoto's autoimmune hypothyroidism. And then even if they DO Dx. Cushings....then they 'miss' the resultant need for T4 and T3 thyroid hormone AFTER they do dx it. Oh, don't get me started, lol!! I feel bad for you Amity...and I feel your pain...and see it in several throughout each week I 'field' posts and emails from people suffering from endocrine ailments. (and you are right about Houston...Texas is one of the 'dead endocrine' states..New York surprisingly, is another one).

I'm glad they found it, and I'm very happy you are being treated.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:44 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Amity79
Stats: Cushing's High 380 / Post-Cushing's 278 / Goal 199
WOE: Quasi Atkins
Start Date: 10/22/12
Thanks Pam.

It is really disgusting how bull headed and uncaring some of these doctors I have seen have been. Once I am fully recovered I would like to do something to help make it easier for the next generation of endo patients. My doctor would like for me to come and speak to med students when I have fully recovered. That should be interesting.
Amity79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: paulette09
Why did you choose UCLA instead of the Mayo Clinic?
paulette09 is offline   Reply With Quote