Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMyDog View Post
I hope someone still reads this and responds. I have had the numbness, tingling, feels like it's asleep thing going of for years. It's down the left side of my spine, maybe a 10" strip. Now it's starting the itchy thing. Drives me nuts. But...now I've developed the soreness on the outside of my left thigh. I can only describe it as...where women get "saddlebags". And here's the kicker........I'M NOT OVERWEIGHT. sorry everyone. I have a slightly crooked spine (since childhood) and Doc says it will only get worse with age because the bones lose calcium and naturally deteriorate. The only thing that helps me is weight lifting. Blah! I really don't like to exercise but I have to keep my back muscles strong and I am now working on my thighs so hopefully that will help with the leg thing.
Hi, I noticed this is your first post and thought I'd say to LCF.

Sorry to hear you have this issue, it sure is frustrating.....The tingling sensation may be caused by a pinched nerve. For some of us obese people it is compression caused by fat. For others like you it could be that just your nerve is trapped somewhere (not necessarily fat) where it is compressed. They have surgery that may help "untrap" (if that's even a word) the nerve.

The patches of burning I get in my outer thighs, at least according to my physician, are due to entrapment of nerves going through the pelvic area.

Hope your problem gets worked out...

Per medscape:
Quote:
MP is a condition characterized by numbness, tingling, pain, irritation, or burning in the anterior or anterolateral thigh resulting from compression or injury to the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve. Causes include mechanical factors, such as compressive clothing, belts, obesity, and pregnancy. MP has also reportedly occurred following surgical procedures and trauma, or has been related to plexopathy due to mass or hemorrhage. A recent study found that the incidence rate of MP is 4.3/10,000 persons per year and that it is found in higher numbers in patients suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome (suggesting a predisposition to nerve entrapment syndromes) and during pregnancy.[1]

Successful treatment can often be achieved with conservative therapy, such as physical therapy, acupuncture,[2] weight reduction to shrink abdominal girth, avoiding constrictive garments, and using analgesics and other medications.

Medications used in other forms of neuropathic pain, such as tricyclic antidepressants or anticonvulsants, may alleviate some of the symptoms of pain, dysesthesias, or paresthesias. The advent of the newer antiepileptic drugs with weight-reducing effects may be ideally suited to those patients in whom obesity is a factor, and diet and weight loss are goals.

Injection of a local anesthetic may be helpful in establishing the diagnosis but only gives temporary relief. If successful, local blocks with steroids may be effective. A report from a pain clinic found that a treatment plan of repeated, subsequent injection blocks on alternate days was successful. They used .25% of bupivacaine combined with methylprednisolone acetate in divided doses of 20 mg each, up to a maximum of 80-120 mg along with oral diphenylhydantoin (100-300 mg daily), and 85% of their population attained complete relief within 10 weeks.[3]

Surgery is generally reserved for patients with persistent and debilitating pain refractory to other modalities of treatment. Various techniques have been used, and it is not clear whether neurolysis or transaction is the procedure of choice; some believe that the best results may be achieved by local decompression in combination with neurolysis via the infrainguinal ligament approach.[4] Surgery is most often performed by neurosurgeons, but general surgeons or orthopaedists may be involved, depending on the institution.
This came from emedicine website:

Quote:
Devising a strategy to identify and relieve the compressive force should be the first step in the treatment of meralgia paresthetica. For example, a tool belt or tight clothing could induce or exacerbate symptoms. In obese patients, weight loss alone may prove to be very beneficial. Patients should be advised to avoid prolonged sitting because this may increase pressure on the nerve. Abnormal postures and movements should be addressed. Modalities such as heat, ice, and electrical stimulation can be used for symptomatic relief as appropriate.

Surgical Therapy

In cases resistant to conservative measures, surgical options may be considered.

Intraoperative Details

A small incision is made just distal to the site where the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve intersects the inguinal ligament. The nerve is exposed, and any compressive force is identified.

Staying on plan is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard.
~*~*~*~*~*~
Miles walked since July 2013 - over 1,160 .....and over 2,500,000 steps
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2011, 03:45 PM   #32

Meralgia paresthetica exercises

from livestrong:

Quote:
Overview

Meralgia paresthetica is a condition marked by pain, tingling or numbness in the front and outer thigh. It occurs when a sensory nerve that runs along the thigh muscles becomes constricted. Tight clothing, restrictive seat belts, pregnancy and direct trauma to the thigh or hip are among meralgia paresthetica's many potential causes. A few key exercises can reduce and eventually prevent symptoms.
Hip Exercises

Reducing hip tightness is one way to alleviate the symptoms of meralgia paresthetica by improving flexibility and building strength. Bridging consists of lying flat on the floor and lifting your bottom up while tightening your gluteal muscles. Hip extensions involve lying on your belly and lifting your leg up while tightening the gluteals. Standing hip abduction requires standing upright while slowly lifting each leg to one side, keeping the knee straight. Such exercises should not cause any thigh pain.

Quote:
Quadriceps Stretches

The quadriceps muscles are located next to the sensory nerve involved in meralgia paresthetica. Stretching these muscles can improve flexibility and strength in the upper thigh. A traditional quad stretch involves pulling the heel of your foot back toward your buttocks while standing, stretching the length of the upper thigh. Again, stretching should cease if pain occurs.
Lunges

Lunges strengthen both the hips and quadriceps muscles to help prevent thigh pain. These start by standing upright and stepping forward with one foot, lowering the body until the opposite knee touches the ground at a right angle. The exercise then can either be reversed or proceed forward by stepping with the opposite leg.
Resistance Bands

More advanced outer thigh exercises can incorporate resistance bands to improve flexibility and strength. A resistance band is looped around the ankle and tied at the other end to a solid, immovable object. A variety of exercises can then be accomplished, including extending the hip backward, outward and forward. These should only be conducted when outer thigh pain is completely gone.

Considerations

While exercises are important to recovery, the most immediate response to meralgia paresthetica should be rest. Athletes might try cross-training as a way to maintain fitness without aggravating the condition. Weight loss, wearing loosely fitting clothes, and in some cases getting a corticosteroid injection will also help relieve symptoms.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:34 AM   #33

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
thanks Eliza whew i can't do lunges that deep though
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by debkeversole View Post
thanks Eliza whew i can't do lunges that deep though
Deb, you and me together, girl...we just have to keep streeeeeeeeetching and make sure someone is around to roll us off the ground when we are done
Old 08-09-2011, 10:25 PM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: devangel
I too have this numbness, tingling pain on my outer thighs :(

I wish I knew for sure what would make it go away. I've researched all over the internet and this seems like the most logical answer...but how come my doctor didn't come up with it? He said I have a vitamin D deficiency and made me take these special once a week vitamins but that didn't do anything, had an Xray done on my back and he found nothing...so, do I lose weight and it will go away? I never was in any accident or anything...it just started like 5 years ago as a small tingling painful spot in my left outer thigh and now has grown considerably and i now have it in both legs! I am overweight , which i'm embarrassed to admit but gosh, nothing makes it go away..it's painful!
I don't know how to eat right on my low budget but i'm going to make an effort to try and do so. I don't eat a lot of food, just not enough I think so my body stores what i do eventually eat. I eat like 2 meals a day basically and the 2nd meal is usually late at night. so, I will try...my legs hurt bad and it's getting worse and i'm scared to death i'm going to get some blood clot or something, or be numb for the rest of my life and it'll spread to the rest of my body or something...very scary..
Feels to me when i try to touch my outer thighs, besides the tingling burning sensations i get, it's like I was shot with the stuff the dentist gives u to make it numb yet i still feel tingling pain...and when i try and push down it feels like I have this huge lump in my legs and above my knee, like one big lump, but i think that feelings is just cause it's numb so it feels that way , at least i hope...
Very scary....
devangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: steady
Stats: 110/95 5'2
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Feb 2007
Interesting...when I was at my smallest 86 lbs I got neuropathy along the entire side of my leg. The same thing-- numbness, tingling, fatigue, etc. I had to make a conscious effort to pick up my leg when walking. According to my neurologist it was from sitting cross legged all day at work...does it really have to do with weight?...or just pressure? Needless to say, I still have to remind myself to uncross my legs, but haven't had the problem since then.
steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:35 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by steady View Post
Interesting...when I was at my smallest 86 lbs I got neuropathy along the entire side of my leg. The same thing-- numbness, tingling, fatigue, etc. I had to make a conscious effort to pick up my leg when walking. According to my neurologist it was from sitting cross legged all day at work...does it really have to do with weight?...or just pressure? Needless to say, I still have to remind myself to uncross my legs, but haven't had the problem since then.
Yeah, it's the same principle - pressure! Some of us have constant pressure from the fat we carry around which compresses our poor nerves. Glad your issue was solved just by uncrossing your legs. I wish I could do that but I can't even cross mine
Old 08-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: joelle
Stats: 235/192.4/170
WOE: modified Atkins and wheat free
Start Date: June 15, 2011
I've had this with my left legs since being pregnant with my first child. It never went away even once I lost the weight. My dr told me not to expect it to get any better. This was 12 years ago. Sometimes it bothers me worse than others.
joelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:24 AM   #39
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: solitairenc
Injury

Back in December I was in an accident that for all intent and purposes literally slammed me into the ground on my left side as hard as a race car hit's a wall at speed. There was a lot of bruising along the entire left side of the body and for the most part that was all that happened thanks to safety equipment and seat belts. Since then my left leg has been tingling/burning numbness in the skin alone and then will progress all the way to the toes for a brief peroid before backing off.I don't wear tight clothes and weight is about 20 over for height. Been going to chiropractor for 12 trips and not any relief so far. The leg wants to quit working if pushed to walk to far at one time. Any ideas if this mught be the same thing as everyone else's?
solitairenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:15 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
I am sorry some of you are still bothered with it. In the last 3 or 4 months I have
lost 40 lbs and mine no longer bothers me.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitairenc View Post
Back in December I was in an accident that for all intent and purposes literally slammed me into the ground on my left side as hard as a race car hit's a wall at speed. There was a lot of bruising along the entire left side of the body and for the most part that was all that happened thanks to safety equipment and seat belts. Since then my left leg has been tingling/burning numbness in the skin alone and then will progress all the way to the toes for a brief peroid before backing off.I don't wear tight clothes and weight is about 20 over for height. Been going to chiropractor for 12 trips and not any relief so far. The leg wants to quit working if pushed to walk to far at one time. Any ideas if this mught be the same thing as everyone else's?
Solitairenc, i am so sorry about your accident and wish you a speedy recovery. I don't think what you have is similar to meralgia paresthetica, as yours is a result of a direct injury. My chiropractor tells me sometimes nerves take up to 6 months to heal, so your relief may not be immediate.
If you have an osteopathic physician in your area, they may be able to help.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post
I am sorry some of you are still bothered with it. In the last 3 or 4 months I have
lost 40 lbs and mine no longer bothers me.
E.W., I am so happy to hear your issues have resolved with weight loss. Way to go and congratulations!
Old 01-30-2012, 02:44 AM   #43
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Joswim
Does anyone's go numb in both right and left from standing/walking at almost the EXACT same time? both left and right (maybe right slightly b4 left but close to same time)
Joswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joswim View Post
Does anyone's go numb in both right and left from standing/walking at almost the EXACT same time? both left and right (maybe right slightly b4 left but close to same time)
Yep, I do. A book I just got theorizes that it's shortening of the inside thigh muscles that causes the numbness. When I have some more time I will come back and post about it. The name of the book is The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #45
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mewt
I've only reccently got this problem in my left thigh area, mostly occurs when sleeping. For years I've had bad feet and need to wear orthotics due to flat feet and when I don't wear them (aka get lazy wearing shoes in the house) I get hip pain. I tend to sleep on my left and just reccently got bad shoulder pains then bad back pains all on the lefthand side. And now I'm feeling this numbness in the top of the left thigh.

I have put on weight last year so I'm going to do my hardest to shead the kilos but I'm very happy to have found this thread and see I'm not alone. Most sites seemed to jump to the badder conculsions quicker. This forum hasn't. I'm thinking possibly with all the problems I've had on my left-side has caused the numbness in my thigh. What do you guys think or have any of you experienced similar things?
mewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #46

Mewt, I have a multitude of back and neck problems so there is no doubt in my mind that these contribute to my thigh numbness.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #47
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DonnaMB
numbness, pain in thigh due to meralgia paresthesia

When I was 3 months pregnant I started feeling alternating heat & numbness in small area on my upper right thigh. It spread as the pregnancy advanced and in my 5th month I started feeling sharp, shooting, burning pains through my whole thigh. If anything touched my leg, even a breeze or direct sunlight, I would scream in pain.

I didn't want to take any pain meds because of the baby but it got so bad I couldn't sleep, lost weight and ended up in the hospital begging them to remove my leg! I'm not kidding! It was excruciating painful and getting worse as I got bigger with the baby so a neurologist performed de-compression surgery. The nerve in my groin was scraped clean and cortisone injected directly into the site to help reduce the inflamation. It barely helped and for the rest of the pregnancy I was bedridden.

After I had my daughter the site went numb but was strangely very sensitive to touch (it "burned" to be touched there) 4 years later I had the same exact problem when I was pregnant with my son and now 17 years after his birth that spot on my thigh is constantly tingling, burning or numb. I wasn't overweight at the time, just pregnant and I would never let myself get too heavy if there was a chance I'd experience that pain again! Never!
DonnaMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMB View Post
When I was 3 months pregnant I started feeling alternating heat & numbness in small area on my upper right thigh. It spread as the pregnancy advanced and in my 5th month I started feeling sharp, shooting, burning pains through my whole thigh. If anything touched my leg, even a breeze or direct sunlight, I would scream in pain.

I didn't want to take any pain meds because of the baby but it got so bad I couldn't sleep, lost weight and ended up in the hospital begging them to remove my leg! I'm not kidding! It was excruciating painful and getting worse as I got bigger with the baby so a neurologist performed de-compression surgery. The nerve in my groin was scraped clean and cortisone injected directly into the site to help reduce the inflamation. It barely helped and for the rest of the pregnancy I was bedridden.

After I had my daughter the site went numb but was strangely very sensitive to touch (it "burned" to be touched there) 4 years later I had the same exact problem when I was pregnant with my son and now 17 years after his birth that spot on my thigh is constantly tingling, burning or numb. I wasn't overweight at the time, just pregnant and I would never let myself get too heavy if there was a chance I'd experience that pain again! Never!
Wow, that sounds painful and scary!
Old 12-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #49

Well, this seems to be promising! I have been doing further digging around and research to see what may help MERALGIA PARESTHETICA and came across the role trigger points in the leg area that may play a role in developing the condition.

Quote:
A trigger point can often be felt as a lump or can cause a twitch. To see if you have a trigger point push on the suspected spot. If it is a trigger point it will be more tender or sting & the referred pain will increase.
They point to the following muscles and their trigger points as culprits: quadriceps femoris, Vastus lateralis, Sartorius, Tensor fasciae (late entrapment)

`
`

Tight trigger point in these refer pain to the outside of the thighs and give us all this misery.

Hope this helps someone. As for me, I will start massaging these trigger spots regularly to see if it makes a difference.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:33 AM   #50

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
i have gained my weight back and mine has come back SIGH
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:29 PM   #51
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: blest1iam
Numbness in thigh

I currently weight 245 and this numbness just started for me periodically (after standing for about 10 minutes at a time and it also is on my left thigh)about 4 or 5 months ago. I've been heavier up to around 280's and never had the issue.
I too hope it goes away with weight loss. I have started going to a gym for about a month and so far...it is still there.
Very strange is all I can say. Thanks for the thread. It relieves me knowing it is nothing serious and hopefully it will go away just as it came.
blest1iam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:52 PM   #52
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
You don't know if it is nothing serious.. You need to go to the doctor!! Please do not take anything on the board as medical advice as there could be so many reasons you are experiencing this. It could be circulation, a pinched nerve, bloodclot.. etc.. So many things can cause such numbness!! Call the doctor and go see him/her. Let them give you a diagnosis in person!!
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:52 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/200/179 @ 5'7" size 14/16, age 55 (-246#)
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheri View Post
You don't know if it is nothing serious.. You need to go to the doctor!! Please do not take anything on the board as medical advice as there could be so many reasons you are experiencing this. It could be circulation, a pinched nerve, bloodclot.. etc.. So many things can cause such numbness!! Call the doctor and go see him/her. Let them give you a diagnosis in person!!

If you have a blot clot, and are messaging it......this is DANGEROUS!
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #54

Absolutely, everyone should check things out in person with a physician. I did and it was determined that in my case, I had none of the above mentioned medical conditions. I was told that, in my particular case, while it was a nuisance, it wasn't dangerous.

The conversations and shares here do not constitute medical advice and it was never stated or implied that they do.

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz; 03-16-2014 at 02:04 PM..