Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2009, 09:17 AM   #211
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: meb2004
Stats: 146 / 135 5'9"
WOE: weston price / whole foods
Start Date: February 2004
i have noticed a difference with the isocort, but i think i might need more. the thing with cortef is that it is more standardized so taking 20mg of cortef may be more effective than 20mg of isocort. i might be a little worried that the internet cortef is some off-brand fakeness, over here you can buy stuff like that, but i'm not sure that its always the real thing.

on my cortisol result sheet it showed doses for using licorice or cortisol. my naturopath put me on the licorice and since i used up 2 bottles with no noticeable results i ordered the isocort to use instead. the first week my symptoms were soooo much better and now they are still overall better but have come back a little. i think this means i may need more, but i'm going to look into it a little more.

i'm a little skeptical of the adrenalift, snow you say you actually know someone who has benefited from it? i'd go with licorice or isocort first probably.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2009, 09:44 AM   #212
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jackvance
Snowangel: You better stay away because I kick some mean butt!

Last edited by jackvance; 05-28-2009 at 09:46 AM..
jackvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:09 AM   #213
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Snowangel11
Stats: 179.7/164.0/125-130 "LDW" 164.0
WOE: HHCG
Start Date: 5/19/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackvance View Post
Snowangel: You better stay away because I kick some mean butt!
You're gonna have to come here & unplug me!

Meb, I understand your skepticism. The girl that was using it was a longtime member of a fertility board I belong to. We were both going thru adrenal problems, and she ordered the maca magic adrenalift, and told me it was working great for her. I have taken maca on & off for about 8? years now. When I first started using it, it was awesome for energy. It was like caffeine without the jitteryness. It's an endocrine enhancer, feeds the thyroid, adrenals, ovaries, etc. The thing is, eventually I built up a tolerance to it. And lately if I tried it, it backfired. I've never taken ashwanga (sp?) so don't know how well that works or the other herbs except maca & sarsaparilla. I can attest they both work awesome - till you take it long term (at least with the maca). The sarsaparilla so far is working pretty good for me today.

What works for me won't always work for someone else, and visa versa. Licorice & isocort backfired on me as well as siberian ginseng, but doesn't mean it won't work for someone else. It's all a trial & error game.

Incidently, that link said that licorice & ginseng can be too stimulating for the adrenals. And I can vouch I have read that over & over in other articles. Although I've read that siberian ginseng is much milder, that still didn't work well for me.

Jack: I totally agree with Meb about buying cortef online. I would never. There are so many counterfeits online, you never know what you are getting. You could get amphetamines for all you know!!

Crawling back to my hole again...can I get a power outage here?
Snowangel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:20 AM   #214
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowangel11 View Post
Licorice & isocort backfired on me as well as siberian ginseng, but doesn't mean it won't work for someone else. It's all a trial & error game.
Isocort backfired? :O I thought you could just take that all your life to combat failing adrenal glands..
Old 05-28-2009, 10:31 AM   #215
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Isocort backfired? :O I thought you could just take that all your life to combat failing adrenal glands..
Yes, but it's working for Meb & works for lots of people. Doesn't work for lots of people too. It's worth giving a shot. Taking isocort for me led to a severe drop in cortisol & led to my lil' adrenal crisis. However, I attempted to take a tiny dose, and then didn't take it the next day. I had a very uncommon reaction. I needed the cortisol so bad that when my body got it, and then it was withdrawn, it was the same as abrupt steroid withdrawal which could=addison's crisis.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:19 AM   #216
Junior LCF Member

Hm, nothing lethal can happen tho, right?

Anyway tomorrow I'm gonna see if I can get isocort (and something over-the-counter for adrosteron) and take it from there.

Hmmm just had fries.. with looootsa salt :P
Old 05-28-2009, 12:53 PM   #217
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hm, nothing lethal can happen tho, right?

Anyway tomorrow I'm gonna see if I can get isocort (and something over-the-counter for adrosteron) and take it from there.

Hmmm just had fries.. with looootsa salt :P
Umm, well, people do die from addison's/adrenal crisis.

I read that article you posted about aldosterone. It made me rethink the whole salt thing. I happen to have 40,000 Volts electrolyte formula at home which has all the trace minerals & ionic sea salts, so I'm going to do that instead of the table salt. If you can try to find a natural sea salt (careful to look at labels) or buy something similar to the 40000 volts that would be good.

I also read too much sodium can lower aldosterone. Which, honestly, I had no idea. Never read that before & no one has ever told me that:

Aldosterone High and Low Level Causes Hyperaldosteronism or Hypoaldosteronism Disorders

Low aldosterone will usually cause high potassium (that's where that potassium comes in the adrenal equation). But it looks like besides the high sodium, the only other causes of low aldosterone would be other health issues, including addison's & sometimes adrenal hyperplasia. Of course the article you posted said the potass/sodium levels can appear normal on labs, but it has more to do with what's in the cells (or what is getting in the cells). And aldosterone should be tested when one is off the salt for 24 hrs (which I didn't do & no one told me to).

Just not an easy diagnosis.

Going back to my computer timeout, but this has also been very helpful to me. :blush:
Old 05-28-2009, 03:14 PM   #218
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowangel11 View Post
Umm, well, people do die from addison's/adrenal crisis.
Now I'm worried (seriously).. there is a chance to get a fatal reaction from taking cortisol? Same for isocort?

Quote:
Going back to my computer timeout, but this has also been very helpful to me. :blush:
Old 05-28-2009, 03:50 PM   #219
Senior LCF Member

If you came off abruptly from steroids, that could be dangerous. I think it's also possible that because I initially took a small dose, and then nothing, it might have dropped my ACTH. Much like a dexamethasone stim test. At least that's my theory.

You should be fine with the isocort. Just don't do like I did. Take a normal dose, and keep taking it. If it doesn't work, then wean down, slowly if you've been on it for awhile, or more rapidly if it was just a day or two or a few days.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:23 PM   #220
Senior LCF Member

people CAN die, but it is extremely rare. what happens (i believe) is that they start increasing their dose and get to a pretty high dose and then if they forget to take their next dose their body crashes and they go into shock. i think this is extremely rare though and typically not something to worry about. but it's also why you should start out slow and make sure you don't miss your doses.

i think this usually occurs only in people diagnosed with true addison's disease which is also extremely rare.
meb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:25 PM   #221
Senior LCF Member

those at high risk who miss doses are supposed to wear a bracelet or id of some sort indicating they require cortisol in case they go into shock, that way they can be properly treated so they won't die.

again, very very rare, i don't know if i would be too concerned unless i was diagnosed.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:40 PM   #222
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb2004 View Post
those at high risk who miss doses are supposed to wear a bracelet or id of some sort indicating they require cortisol in case they go into shock, that way they can be properly treated so they won't die.

again, very very rare, i don't know if i would be too concerned unless i was diagnosed.
Meb,

Actually anyone who is on adrenal suppressive doses with rx, no matter whether they have addison's or not, needs to carry an ID. If you shut off your adrenals with steroids, going off abruptly will make anyone crash. It only takes about 30mg of hydrocortisone or Cortef to do that. Some people need to be on higher doses for suppresion, and some occasionally will be suppressed on as low as 20mg. Some need to be on long, some can be suppressed after a very short course. I buy ID's on ebay. I had one for metformin, and have one to note pituitary/adrenal issues. At the time I was on higher doses. Before I was on steroids, I came close to passing out many times. I don't know if I have addison's, and if I don't, an ID still could save your life.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:06 AM   #223
Junior LCF Member

Damn they don't sell isocort in belgium, or any over-the-counter cortisol stuff it seems.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:34 AM   #224
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
jack

I found this while perusing an hcg forum. This is a post on how Oprah (a famous talk show host here in the States!) has gone back and forth in her weight battles. The one who posted this is a nurse...I found it interesting and it goes along with everything we have been trying to relay to you (the fact that you heal the adrenals first and foremost with diet!) Unfortunately there is no magic pill. It is a long road, my MD/DO has told me it could take a year to recover from the adrenal fatigue. Here is that post:

"it's reactive hypoglycemia, it's an adrenal gland issue primarily. that's why her thyroid gave out. it was doing both jobs, so naturally it took the fall. it started as functional hypoglycemia (protein issue, and soy r/t) it can go back and forth til something drastic happens.

to heal the adrenals , you need to stop all sugar at first, concentrate on eating and digesting quality protein, eggs, poached are best as the fatty acids from the yolk are necessary. and vitamin C. complex carbs are added after 2 to 3 weeks. more later."
Old 05-29-2009, 10:53 AM   #225
Junior LCF Member

Interesting..
Old 05-29-2009, 11:08 AM   #226
Senior LCF Member

just eating right won't heal the adrenals, i've been eating right for a long time now and mine are still shot. continued stress without recovery will make it worse and then you get to the point where you can't recover.

jack, do they sell licorice over there? you might want to consider at least adding that in. i don't think it helps your adrenals get better very much, but it is great to use in times of stress to keep them from getting worse. since you are in exams i think that would be a safe thing to add for the time being.

you want licorice root extract, specifically glycyrrhizic acid. my bottle has 150mg of glycyrrhizic acid which i took 4 times a day. i would consider using it to help ensure my adrenals don't get worse from stress.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:07 PM   #227
Junior LCF Member

Rereading, I think Oprah shot through her adrenals because she is overworked, overstressed. Then a diet will help yes. But if your adrenals simply aren't producing enough cortisol then a diet won't help.

meb: I think my only option is to go see a doctor and get cortef..

Last edited by jackvance; 05-29-2009 at 03:09 PM..
Old 05-29-2009, 03:18 PM   #228
Senior LCF Member

Jack,

Your adrenals can produce less cortisol because of adrenal fatigue. It doesn't necessarily have to be a physical problem with the adrenals (tumor, addison's, etc.). Low cortisol doesn't always mean a mechanical problem.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:26 PM   #229
Junior LCF Member

snowangel, I've been suffering from this since I was twelve, if not earlier (just don't remember). And my dad has it too I am sure.. he's been seeing psychiatrists for ages now. (not helping btw) Last weekend he said "hehe ye dizziness when I stand, I used to have that all the time, now it is better though." Clear sign of low aldosterone. I think I've inherited it.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #230
Junior LCF Member

So.. I finally got some testing done. The doctor took my blood and had a whole bunch of tests run - cortisol, thyroid, kidneys, some other stuff. I was asking to have more than just a one time cortisol test, if he knew of any 24 hour saliva testing I could get done. He didn't even know what it was.

So I called him back on thursday for the results. He said everything was normal. Thyroid, cortisol level, kidneys, all normal values. It sucks that I never got to see the test results though. So that was that, leaving me a bit out of ideas.

With my exams ongoing, I've decided to take another route then. I mean, in any case I'm pretty sure I have a general anxiety disorder so I printed out this ebook called "panic away" which is supposedly pretty good. I'm giving that a shot now.

I've neglected to take my dietary supplements, that was probably not a good idea, so I'm gonna do that more diligently again. After my exams are done, gonna see if my candida is gone (doubtful) and then we'll see
Old 06-07-2009, 08:12 PM   #231
Senior LCF Member

Jack:

You can buy saliva tests online. That may be your only route.

Make sure you are taking alot of Vit. C too!! Take ALOT initially (I'm thinking 3000mg), then go down to 2000mg.

I also found this for you:
"The following physical findings suggest low adrenal function:

1. Skin thin and dry or scaly, pigmentation of temples, red palms or fingertips, and cold clammy palms.
2. Deep Tendon Reflexes are exaggerated.
3. Lymph Gland inflammation of the neck (swelling, pain, or tenderness).
4. Blood Pressure is usually low, and drops upon standing (105/60) and then elevated to (120 or 130/70 or 80) on reclining (postural or orthostatic hypotension). This change from low to higher when lying down may be the reason why many patients find it difficult to fall asleep. It is conducive to falling asleep to lie in a semi-reclining position for 15 or 20 minutes. Another way to describe postural hypotension is that there may be a sudden drop in blood pressure to below normal upon suddenly arising from bed, or from standing still, causing temporary darkening of vision, dizziness, light-headedness, faintness, or fainting.
5. Body Conformation is of the thin muscle-type (this is called asthenic habitus). The typical person is also tall with an angular appearance but a shorter person may have what we call "signs of tallness" - a moderately long neck, an index finger longer than the 4th (ring) finger, and a 2nd toe longer than the big toe. There are long arms and legs, and the arm span is greater than the height.
6. Hair is sparse on the body but there is usually a full head of fine and abundant hair. The typical person is blond and blue eyed, or red headed. A tall, thin blonde with skin allergies can be diagnosed immediately.
7. Dentition shows crowded lower teeth with a high palatal arch (roof of mouth).
8. Pain and tenderness over adrenal area of mid-back when pressure is applied (called Rogoff's sign).
9. Urination is either very frequent in small amounts or infrequent in large amounts. This person usually does not do well in the heat or in the summer, particularly in conditions of high temperature, high humidity, and low barometric pressure.
10. Scanty perspiration (except under arms or hands and feet). This person may be a "salt loser" (the tendency is to lose salt and to retain potassium). The urine and perspiration of the salt loser is saltier than normal and there is consequently a greater salt concentration on the skin. Animals are attracted to the salt on the skin, and often the low adrenal patient will be a favorite of animals to lick.
11. Ankle and/or Finger Swelling. John Tintera, M.D. was an early pioneer in recognizing and treating adrenal insufficiency. He wrote that salt is a diuretic and that hypoadrenocortics (patients with low adrenal cortex function) retain fluid because the body is trying to hold onto the salt. When enough salt is consumed, the body takes what it needs and excretes the rest. If the ankle edema is due to insufficient salt, the edema will usually disappear in three days after taking adequate salt. If it does not disappear in five to six days, potassium may also be needed. Vitamin B6 is also helpful for edema not only because it has a diuretic effect but also supports the adrenal cortex.

Adrenal Insufficiency

ETA: One doesn't have to have all these symptoms. I'm short & overweight!

Last edited by Snowangel11; 06-07-2009 at 08:21 PM..
Old 06-07-2009, 08:19 PM   #232
Senior LCF Member

Also, call your dr. and ask for them to send a copy of results to you. Here in the U.S. they have to give a copy upon request. I have to believe it's that way in most countries. Then post your cortisol results here.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:59 AM   #233
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jojomaman
Jackvance

Just been browsing this thread. If you are still having problems and want to find a decent doctor you are in luck. The best hormone doctors in Europe reside in Belgium. They are trained to listen and look at signs and symptoms of hormone problems as well as do lots of blood and urine tests. They also believe in candida and recommend a diet to help with that as well as adrenal problems and thyroid problems.

I see one of them for my adrenal and thyroid problems and have been started on cortisol which helps a lot.

Take a look at these sites......

Thierry Hertoghe

http://www.intlhormonesociety.org/
jojomaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:35 PM   #234
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PacNW
Hi Dawn,

I have alot of the same symptoms you listed in your post and was wondering if you made any progress with your symptoms. What caught my eye was the appearance of freckles and ganglion cysts on your arms and hands. I've had the same thing happen fairly recently. Kind of odd thing for someone my age (I'm only 24) to be getting these things so early especially since no one in my family has them and mine only started appearing a few years ago. I was diagnosed by my ND with adrenal fatigue and leaky gut. He says I should recover quickly if I stay away from wheat, eggs, and dairy and get some rest. Have you noticed that the prevalence of freckles and cysts have faded since you first posted?
PacNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:37 AM   #235
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojomaman View Post
Jackvance

Just been browsing this thread. If you are still having problems and want to find a decent doctor you are in luck. The best hormone doctors in Europe reside in Belgium. They are trained to listen and look at signs and symptoms of hormone problems as well as do lots of blood and urine tests. They also believe in candida and recommend a diet to help with that as well as adrenal problems and thyroid problems.

I see one of them for my adrenal and thyroid problems and have been started on cortisol which helps a lot.

Take a look at these sites......

Thierry Hertoghe

http://www.intlhormonesociety.org/
Wow thanks, that is what I needed . After that last doctor visit I was discouraged enough to stop pursuing this, and I've been just following this course I downloaded on how to treat GAD (general anxiety disorder) and I've been having some success, although it's too early to tell. Takes a long time to make small progress.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:59 AM   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNW View Post
Hi Dawn,

I have alot of the same symptoms you listed in your post and was wondering if you made any progress with your symptoms. What caught my eye was the appearance of freckles and ganglion cysts on your arms and hands. I've had the same thing happen fairly recently. Kind of odd thing for someone my age (I'm only 24) to be getting these things so early especially since no one in my family has them and mine only started appearing a few years ago. I was diagnosed by my ND with adrenal fatigue and leaky gut. He says I should recover quickly if I stay away from wheat, eggs, and dairy and get some rest. Have you noticed that the prevalence of freckles and cysts have faded since you first posted?
It has been since Jan since I was diagnosed and haven't noticed a darn thing has changed!! I still have freckles like I did back then AND haven't gotten any better. My ganglion cysts that have been surgically removed (I had 2) have NOT grown back so that is a plus!! My doc said it would take 1 year for me to start to feeling better!! So you have a better sounding doc than I do! I have done nothing but rest since Jan and still haven't felt a burst of energy. I cut out the caffeine, basically tried everything she suggested short of switching to organic and haven't gotten any better. Or at least I feel like I haven't gotten better. That could also be because I have not been treated for the underactive thyroid or my unbalanced sex hormones. I need to get back to her for another appointment but it is so expensive I cannot right now. Has he started you on any supplements?? The one targeted for my adrenal fatigue wasn't working so I quit taking it. I am working hard at losing weight right now.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #237
Junior LCF Member

I just came back from the doctor.. just about everything was wrong with me. Too low on all the vitamins, thyroid trouble, low cortisol, DHEA, magnesium, ferre, etc. Oh yeah and candida was still there. Bought a bunch of meds, let's see if it helps
Old 10-22-2009, 04:40 PM   #238

Wow Jack!! You must have seen a very thorough doctor!! That is great that you have the answer to your problems. I wish you well in feeling better!!
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:50 PM   #239
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
jack

I found this while perusing an hcg forum. This is a post on how Oprah (a famous talk show host here in the States!) has gone back and forth in her weight battles. The one who posted this is a nurse...I found it interesting and it goes along with everything we have been trying to relay to you (the fact that you heal the adrenals first and foremost with diet!) Unfortunately there is no magic pill. It is a long road, my MD/DO has told me it could take a year to recover from the adrenal fatigue. Here is that post:

"it's reactive hypoglycemia, it's an adrenal gland issue primarily. that's why her thyroid gave out. it was doing both jobs, so naturally it took the fall. it started as functional hypoglycemia (protein issue, and soy r/t) it can go back and forth til something drastic happens.

to heal the adrenals , you need to stop all sugar at first, concentrate on eating and digesting quality protein, eggs, poached are best as the fatty acids from the yolk are necessary. and vitamin C. complex carbs are added after 2 to 3 weeks. more later."
Oprah Winfrey has Hashimoto's autoimmune hypothyroidism, as do about two of every ten women in the USA. Her thyroid did NOT give out as a result of hypoglycemia. The TPO (Thyroid peroxidase) antibodies have about killed off her thyroid over the years. If you go to www.about.thyroid.com and search 'Letters to Oprah' you'll see all the letter we thyroid patients and advocates have written over the last TEN years.

It's not true the adrenals fail first. If you have autoimmune Hashimoto's, the thyroid is attacked FIRST and creates a chain reaction to the adrenals.

ETA: Oprah is 'eating to heal her autoimmune disease". Um, ok. Her thyroid will be (or already is) killed off from the attacks from TPO....and no matter HOW she eats, her thyroid will die. Eating well is a good thing...but when one has Hashimoto's, getting enough T4 AND T3 is most important.

Pam

Last edited by nonstickpam107; 10-22-2009 at 09:51 PM..
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:03 AM   #240
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leilax
Hello. I have been perusing this thread, have not read all of this information yet.
I have been on bhrt and had horrible reactions to all the hormones, suicidal, severe depression, gained a ton of wt (134lbs to 158), insomnia, the list continues. So I went of all of the hormones and my dr gave me cortef, have not started it yet because I am getting some more tests done. I also have a pituitary tumor.
does anyone have any input on cortef? I am scared to take it after my episode with the hormones. And the weight gain does not sound appealing to me right now..
leilax is offline   Reply With Quote