Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2009, 04:43 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Snowangel11
Stats: 179.7/164.0/125-130 "LDW" 164.0
WOE: HHCG
Start Date: 5/19/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
No odd swelling, but I have had what seems to be acne on my neck. No break outs on the face, just my neck--and it is the sides too. I mentioned this the last time I was at my doctor's and she said that it was indeed acne. I thought it might be a yeast rash, but she says that the yeast (not candida either!) is on my forehead. I didn't even notice I had a rash on my forehead!! And this acne on my neck is around forever--doesn't come and go.

I looked at both books last night and didn't see where either one referenced a mono and adrenal connection. It may have been on a website that I visited too. Who knows? My memory is shot.
I get this one pimple on the back of my neck. Comes & goes, but it drives me crazy.

I know I've also read Mono/CFS connection to adrenals. How's your daughter doing? I've heard that oil of oregano is suppose to be pretty potent stuff against viruses. In fact, alot of studies came out this year & last that it even fights antibiotic resistant staph.

I started taking DHEA today. I took 50mg for today. I'm just going to do 5mg after today. Also started the whey protein. Don't feel any different. Tired then ever, but I have my period. At least my blood sugar is holding up.
Oh, and I fell asleep at a reasonable hour for the first time in awhile. If the Ribose doesn't help, I may just try out the licorice.
Snowangel11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2009, 07:00 AM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Interesting development this morning. My fasting glucose was 102. I can't totally point the finger at the DHEA because I had whey protein drink & took some high fiber capsules before bed (something also new). Skipped my morning dose of steroid and will just do the 5mg dhea today. I guess it's a good thing if I can drop the steroids again. I did break a mini-stall & dropped a pound overnite too.

I read this today, very interesting stuff about DHEA & cortisol functions - including direct connection of DHEA to thryoid (which is the first time I'm reading that). :

Quote:
Functions of DHEA

Functions as an androgen (a male hormone) with anabolic activity. Anabolic refers to the building or synthesis of tissues.

Is a precursor that is converted to testosterone (a male hormone). Is a precursor to estrogen (a female anabolic hormone)

Reverses immune suppression caused by excess cortisol levels, thereby improving resistance against viruses, bacteria and Candida albicans, parasites, allergies, and cancer.

Stimulates bone deposition and remodeling to prevent osteoporosis.

Improves cardiovascular status by lowering total cholesterol and LDL levels, thereby lessening incidences of heart attack.

Increases muscle mass. Decreases percentage of body fat.

Involved in the thyroid gland's conversion of the less active T4 to the more active T3.

Reverses many of the unfavorable effects of excess cortisol, creating subsequent improvement in energy/ vitality, sleep, premenstrual symptoms, and mental clarity.
* Accelerates recovery from any kind of acute stress (e.g., insufficient sleep, excessive exercise, mental strain, etc.).

What Cortisol Does

Mobilizes and increases amino acids, the building blocks of protein, in the blood and liver.

Stimulates the liver to convert amino acids to glucose, the primary fuel for energy production.

Stimulates increased glycogen in the liver. Glycogen is the stored form of glucose.

Mobilizes and increases fatty acids in the blood (from fat cells) to be used as fuel for energy production.

Counteracts inflammation and allergies.

Prevents the loss of sodium in urine and thus helps maintain blood volume and blood pressure.

Maintains resistance to stress (e.g., infections, physical trauma, temperature extremes, emotional trauma, etc.).

Maintains mood and emotional stability.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:20 AM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: meb2004
Stats: 146 / 135 5'9"
WOE: weston price / whole foods
Start Date: February 2004
Interesting about the t4 to t3 conversion! That's one of my problems, my t4 is decent but t3 is pretty low. I might need to look into this too
meb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:45 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Meb,

I'm feeling 10x better. I can't be totally sure though if it's the dhea or the glutamine in the whey protein. But I haven't woken up shaking like I was, no night sweats, and I have very little muscle pain on exertion. My blood sugar was fine this morning too. I had a need to go to sleep the first day mid-day, but it passed as soon as I ate. I exercised today without having to "protein load" & felt fine afterwards.

I was even out gardening yesterday without pain, and it's been a long time I've been able to do that.

I got my Ribose today, and I think I'm still going to do the P4 shutdown.

Definately get your DHEA levels tested if you haven't already! I'm taking 5 mg. Too much, and high dhea isn't a good thing either.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:18 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kmartt
adrenal fatigue

Hi everyone, I'm new to this. I haven't done a saliva cortisol test yet but i had a morning cortisol draw that came back low. i do have hashimotos disease and i do believe i am adrenal fatigue. any of you guys have extreme reactions to heat simple exercise like walking or picking up around the house? i've had to cut my hrs at work and i feel like crap! it does somtimes seem to come and go, but as of right now i'm in a bad place. Totally weak, fatigued ,hypoglycemia. swollen almost fluish but i don't have the flu but not to long ago i had strepthroat. anyone know if having strep or virus can make your adrenal fatigue worse? thanks everyone
kmartt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:01 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

kmartt, def do the saliva test if you are in a state that allows it (most states except new york do), it gives you a better idea of your cortisol levels throughout the day and not just in the morning. i think adrenal fatigue tends to run with thyroid disorders so you possibly do have adrenal fatigue.

from what i've read cardio type exercises are bad for those adrenal fatigue since it just puts more pressure on your adrenals. It seems that weight lifting might be okay though. I think I'm going to restart some weight-lifting soon myself and make sure to do no cardio.

what does your doc want to do about the low morning cortisol?
Old 04-27-2009, 10:32 AM   #67
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
kmartt
I have been diganosed with adrenal fatigue just this past Jan. I always have said that I am thankful that I don't work because I don't think I would make it. I am so fatigued that I don't do much around the house. I rest whenever I need to. Drives my hubby and kids nuts because they just don't understand. When my kids come home from school they are shocked to see the breakfast dishes still on the table--right where they left them. I am usually not that bad, but there have been a few days like that.

I think that the adrenal fatigue might have caused you to catch the strep. Adrenal fatigue lowers your defense system by lowering your immune system. So you end up catching everything that is going around. My doctor has me taking 1000mg of vitamin C with each meal to help with that. Anyhoo, like meb said you should get the saliva test to determine if you have it too. My doctor went on her suspicion and it was confirmed through hair anaylsis--much cheaper than the saliva testing, but doesn't give you any of your sex hormone levels.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:37 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

meb and dawnyama

Hey guys, thanks for your responses. Meb my doc who ran a cortisol test and it was low had me do an acth test which came back normal. He also told me to see a psychiatrist(go figure) I have an appt. may18 with an alternative doc. and an appt with nonstickpams doc in june. dawn sometimes i don't know how the heck i work. have you seen any improvment since being diagnosed? I did phone consults with DR. lam for adrenal fatigue. Have you ever heard of him? He had me start taking high doses of vitamin c and b5 but it cause my anxiety to skyrocket. he said that was his way of testing my reserves and my reserves were low.He made sence wiith what he was saying but it was hard to talk to him over the phone and pay him 40$ every time, so i gave up. keep in touch
Old 04-27-2009, 02:02 PM   #69

I have seen little improvement. I found the most when I started on a product called "Adrenal" by Pure Encapsulations. I have felt it gives me a boost, but since going off all caffeine I am needing a nap in the afternoons. And my eyes have to be propped up to stay awake til 11PM. That clues me in that it may be thryoid as well. At least according to Wilson's book! I haven't heard of Dr. lam, but my doctor has me on 1000mg vitamin C per meal. So it must be standard care for adrenals. I am doing this with a limited budget so I am only treating the adrenals now. My doctor is not affiliated with any insurance so to see her I need to pay first and hope that my insurance will pay me back. It has so far, but not much. Then the tests that she wants run, the supplements.....too expensive for me. So far it is just being treated with diet and supplements. I have thyroid troubles and my sex hormones are out of whack. That is what my doctor tells me anyway. I will have to take care of those when I have the money.

I hate that you were told to see a psychiatrist--that is a cop out. A way of telling you "I have no idea what to do with you so go bother someone else". There are many things that mainstream doctors don't know so I am glad you are going to see someone who can put the pieces together for you!! My doctor is a DO, as well as an MD. So I have the best of both worlds with her. But she is a 2 hour drive one way to see her. And I live in the capital city of South Carolina. You would think that my city would have someone just as great!!
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:20 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Kmartt:

The sweating is an adrenal symptom. Either low aldosterone or just low cortisol. I have the same problem. What's even worse is that it causes salt wasting which just causes more strain on your adrenals. Drink lots of water, with a 1/2 tsp salt here & there. Adding the salt is important. Otherwise lots of water will just dilute your sodium levels further. Salt is important for your adrenals in general, so good to add it anyway. (If you are ever found to have full adrenal insufficiency, steroids won't necessarily fix the problem fully. There's another steroid called Florinef that mimics aldosterone better. So sometimes that is added in addition to cortisone.)

I'm not sure if the ACTH test is 100% accurate. Just be aware that sometimes a test may come within range, and other times it won't. So it's helpful to keep testing regularly.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:23 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

I also got the "have you spoken to a physchologist" spiel from a neurosurgeon I went to for my pituitary tumor. It's amazing that they don't get that low cortisol causes numerous emotional issues. It's our "stress" hormone!!
Old 04-27-2009, 03:39 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member

snowangel

Hi thanks for the info. I have some ?'s Is adrenal fatigue and adrenal insufficiency the same thing? how do they test for aldosterone? also, what is your diagnosis and are you on any meds, if so do they help? the sweating thing is weird for me because it's actually that i get really overheated and feel extremely hot ,but i don't really sweat. any info is greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 04-27-2009, 04:26 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Well, at least from my understanding, if you have cortisol levels below lab ranges, that would be considered adrenal insufficiency. And a serum cortisol level below a 10 adrenal fatigue (and there's adrenal exhaustion too). I think fatigue/exhaustion is more likely to have an outside factor (other imbalances in body), stress, even dehydration, or possibly medications and probably a billion more things, whereas adrenal insufficiency most likely is caused by a direct mechanical malfunction of the adrenals or pituitary. Adrenal insufficiency also often has worse symptoms (where the cortisol levels get so low that they can't sustain blood pressure/blood sugar. That's called an "addison's crisis" or "adrenal crisis".

In my own experience, my low cortisol is an intermittent thing. That's why constantly testing might catch a low value.

There's also so many causes of adrenal 'insufficiency'- autoimmune or non-immune (cause unknown) addison's disease , pituitary, adrenal hyperplasia (congenital & acquired), adenomas (tumors).

My own diagnosis so far is the pituitary tumor, but my endoc. thinks it's actually my adrenals. My mother was just recently diagnosed with an adrenal adenoma, and my aunt with hyperparathyroidism, so it might be a genetic issue. My cortisol serum level was at it's lowest 3.7 (way below range).

As for whether they help the sweating issue, I can't really say. I was on higher doses a few months ago. My doctor didn't tell me to go down or wean, but I wanted to give it a shot, so I was off them for awhile. Now I'm on a very low dose because LC'ing brought out my symptoms again , so up until the latest heat wave we had, no - the low dose isn't helping the sweating at all. Although, it's not nearly as bad as it was last summer. Prior to the warm weather, I was actually cold all the time.

I also feel the same - I feel like I have a sunburn & am hot to my core when exposed to heat. Same with cold. Bone chilling cold!

ETA: The general medical community doesn't recognize "adrenal fatigue" or "exhaustion". Unfortunately it's often a black or white issue with them. Either you're below range, or
you're fine! It's usually more open minded doctors, naturopaths, or holistic doctors who
do understand it. My own endoc. personally wouldn't be on board. I'm almost lucky my
levels did go below range. Sort of (!?)

Last edited by Snowangel11; 04-27-2009 at 04:34 PM..
Old 04-27-2009, 04:46 PM   #74

kmartt

You might want to get the book called "Adrenal Fatigue" by James Wilson. My doctor recommended it to me when she diagnosed me. It is a very comprehensive book about how to diagnose yourself since mainstream doctors don't believe in adrenal fatigue. It will tell you how to get better, too. I cannot finish a book once I start reading so I haven't finished it yet, but I am halfway through. That is one of my symptoms too--poor concentration. He has a website too--just go to adrenalfatigue dot org. Another thing you should start doing right now is get yourself off of caffeine--that means no tea, coffee, diet sodas and chocolate. I did that all at once and it was hard, but it is over now! Try cleaning up your diet as well. My doctor thinks that diet is key--about 70% of what you should be doing.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:48 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

well, good luck to you. If i find anything else out about myself i will post. right now my main symptom is extreme fatigue and hypoglycemia. do you have hypoglycemia?
Old 04-27-2009, 05:00 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Dawn,

What kind of diet are you on? I'm officially off LC'ing today. Even though my blood sugar is stable, my joints are starting to hurt again, and I just don't feel healthy. I feel dehydrated, despite drinking tons. I just can't do it.

I'm think I'm going back to whole foods, but with lower carbs. No wheat/sugar, higher protein (maybe keep up the whey protein), but lots of veg/fruit. I just feel...deficient...and icky

Kmartt: Yes, I get hypoglycemia. The book Dawn recommended is a really good one. It was my first introduction to the whole subject.

Last edited by Snowangel11; 04-27-2009 at 05:01 PM..
Old 04-28-2009, 07:13 AM   #77

kmartt
I thought I had hypoglycemia--that is what I remember my doctor telling me I have. She thought I had insulin resistance so she ran the tests. Turns out my glucose is high and my insulin is really low. That was done fasting too, so I ran the numbers through my adrenal support group on yahoogroups and was told it wasn't hypoglycemia. Anyway, the doctor has me on chromium picolinate to stabilize my blood sugar levels.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:31 AM   #78

Whooops! Didn't mean for that to post so soon. Haven't gotten to snow's question yet. I am doing low carb for now. When my hubby told me doctor that I was doing Atkins she didn't like that. So she told me what I should be doing based on my labwork and her preferences. She wants me doing glycemic load, so I got out Rob Thompson's book from the library. She also told me gluten free, so I got out a gluten free guide from the library too. So this is the plan--1800 calories, 70 grams of protein, no coffee, no artificial sweeteners but switch to stevia, no pasta, bread...., glycemic load of 40 grams, no more diet sodas, start switching to non-genetically modified food, and my list of supplements. I am following the lay out in Wilson's book for when to eat. I am a bit confused and overwhelmed with everything so I am just doing Atkins with mainly eggs for breakfast, meat at lunch, and salad and meat at dinner. Just last night I made a casserole off of LindaSue's site. That was dinner. And then there are times where I am so tired and just put in a pizza to cook for the kids and say, "Oh, I will have a salad." Then I end up so tired that I just grab a piece of pizza. I have to stop that but it is just much easier to have what everyone is having. That is why I have gained 5 pounds since first seeing her in Jan!! Have to stop it before it gets out of control. But it is hard at times!!

Dr Diehl wants me to do more veggies, hence her recommendation for glycemic load. She said at least sweet potatoes Dawn!! I didn't think that fruit was good for the adrenals. I think it is still too much sugar. The only fruit I have is the 4 strawberries I eat with my Fage yogurt and that is not everyday. I was shocked to see that Dr. Wilson has a list of fruits that are good and fruits that are bad for adrenal fatigue. You said you feel deficient--what are your supplements like? I am on a lot of them. That is why I am so glad that I have my doctor telling me what to do! I don't have to worry about anything, just plugging along. I know I have written a book but I didn't mean too!

Last edited by dawnyama; 04-28-2009 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: to add
Old 04-28-2009, 09:47 AM   #79
Senior LCF Member

is the glycemic load diet based on the glycemic index? i thought using glycemic index has been shown to be ineffective?
meb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #80

No--Thompson says that right in his book. He uses carrots to express that point. Using the glycemic index you would steer clear of carrots. He says that the load of the carrots is more important. The flaw with the glycemic index is the portion. Basically, using the glycemic index the portion of carrots is something that you cannot eat at once. So, taking into consideration a normal portion of carrots you can incorporate them into your plan. I am only halfway in the book and haven't gotten into what he recommends eating in a typical day, but it sure sounds like Atkins to me!! I think it just allows you more veggies. And I know that Cleo states that he allows dark chocolate to be incorporated into the plan too! So, I do have specific "rules" that go with the glycemic load diet that I have to follow. He also says to combat the insulin resistance exercise is a must, but only every 48 hours. And walking for 30 mins fills that bill. So she wants me walking. I got the book out of the library so I don't have to spend any more money on something that I won't do!!
Old 04-28-2009, 12:44 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Chocolate? Did I hear chocolate?

Those glycemic indexes/charts drive me crazy. If you look at some of them on the net, it will say one fruit is low glycemic, and another one will say the same fruit is high. I think for instance watermelon is one of those.

I have to correct myself. I shouldn't have said deficient necessarily (I take tons of supplements). More like dry to the bone...like the sahara. Even my hair & skin looked so horrible since induction. Maybe it's just not right for me. I think those of us with adrenal problems probably need more carbs. I have a feeling our glycogen stores get closer to zero than a normal person. Not only that, on day 13 of induction, I suddenly gained 3 lbs. 6 steps forward, 3 backwards. I can do better on whole foods/south beachy type diets without feeling so miserable.

Dawn, I think also the potassium in fruit is suppose to be bad for the adrenals too (and like you said the sugar). And I know when I did the Adrenaline test with my endoc., bananas were on the list of things that increase adrenaline in the body. In fact, when I did the test, I had cut out bananas. I had gone on this whole foods diet with the intent of increasing my potassium. So I was eating alot of bananas prior. It actually wasn't until I stopped the bananas that I started having low cortisol. Maybe some kind of rebound affect?? Like taking sinus meds for a long time, then going off & you get rebound sinusitis?

The thing about potassium though is that the daily recommended RDA is minimal 3500mg. I was getting way less than that for a long time. And it's one of those things that you can't take a supplement for (only 99mg tabs are recommended). So, I don't understand the whole thing. Are we basically suppose to have a diet deficient in potassium? Or is the RDA way off? I remember having to eat pounds of veg/fruit just to get in the RDA.

Another thing is that I read that deficiency symptoms of potassium seem to be so closely tied to the symptoms of low cortisol (low BP, emotional disturbances, fainting, tiredness). So if one doesn't have low cortisol, or hypoglycemia, but just the general adrenal fatigue symptoms, it could be that too!

And I hear you about being overwhelmed with the types of diets natural doctors put us on. When I was doing acupuncture regularly, she wanted me on a whole foods, no dairy, no raw food diet. It's very hard to live so rigidly. And I don't like cooked veggies. I prefer raw everything.

Oh, and I remembered why I was nervous about taking licorice. It lowers potassium levels. I don't know how much - I think it's dose related.

And the ribose - I took it, and later on I read it shouldn't be taken by those with hypoglycemia - and it can raise uric acid levels (wouldn't really be good for induction). I did feel kind of funky so I took a little bit of hydrocortisone. But my skin looked so much healthier the next day. So did my hair. Don't know if I'm going to continue it. Maybe once a week or something. I keep buying these supplements, and then find out I can't use them! Lol, I've spent so much $$ this month just on supplements. The Ribose is really expensive too.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:49 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

P.S. I agree with the walking Dawn. I need to take that advice too. I have become so inactive, it's ridiculous. I think that might be a contributing factor. It seemed like when I was working as a supervisor for a telecom company years ago, I was on my feet all the time. When I was laid off, that's when the weight started packing on. But I felt physically good when I was busy & active. And I never had an "on your feet" job since then. It's been sitting at a desk all day.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:44 PM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Good E-book on adrenal fatigue/thyroid/hormones (in layman's terms):

http://www.hotzehwc.com/attachments/...ortisol101.pdf
Old 05-04-2009, 05:30 AM   #84

snow--how have you been? What plan are you following now? I don't notice anything different with my plan, not much has changed though. I follow Atkins for the most part and occassionally (usually when I cannot stand it much longer!!) give in to a piece of chocolate here and there. I have gotten better with not having it every day so that is a plus!! I have my decaff coffee in the AM still. Just don't want to go without. I have been trying to cut out the second one in the afternoon--with it getting hot out it get easier to skip that one. I haven't made the switch over to stevia yet--still don't like it. With everything my doctor wants me to do I cannot do everything at once. So, I continue on doing what I have been doing. So, I feel like I haven't changed too much. But I guess I have! My weight is still all over the place. From day to day I jump from 151 to 152 to 154 to 155. It is discouraging to see the weight all over like that, but I am trying to track to see how I am doing...it is the only way I have to measure my success with the diet.

I am going to the chiropractor today as I am having foot pain. Yes, that chiropractor. The only reason I don't switch is he charges me and hubby nothing, yes I said nothing!, to see him. He accepts what insurance pays him--and our insurance pays him handsomly. I am afraid it might be sciatica. It hurts from just below my buttock all the way down to my foot....and actually am having pins and needles in my foot a lot of the time. I have had this for a while and don't want it to get worse. I am afraid that it won't get better after a certain point. I just won't mention my low back/hip pain!! I will check in after my appointment.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:40 AM   #85

And to add...I went through my summer clothing as I am beginning to switch winter over to summer in my closet and not everything fits. That is also discouraging. I do hav ea few things that I can wear thank goodness, but it doesn't fit the way it did last year!! I really want to lose weight soon, but don't know if it can be done......
Old 05-04-2009, 06:25 AM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Hey Dawn,

Those symptoms definately sound like sciatica. Long story, but I found out I have mild spina bifida (which in my case the disk on the tailbone is incomplete) and have dealt with tailbone pain since I was 16, including pilonidal disease (cysts on tailbone). I use to get sciatica alot - now I think that nerve is just dead! I'm sorry to hear you're having the same ups & downs with weight. I can't stand stevia. I don't blame you on that one. I try to get by with sweet n low.

As for me, I think I've totally screwed myself. My glucose has been high every morning since going off atkins. I tried the whole foods too but this time much lower carb - still high. I'm fine during the day. I don't know if atkins maybe 'trained' my liver to put out more glucose to compensate & it just won't stop, or if it's an insulin thing. I feel like banging my head against a wall. My blood sugar has never, ever been consistently been high in the morning like this.

I am doing the NPC shutdown so I don't know if that's it either. I can't stop in the middle. I have to suck it up and do it for an entire cycle at least. I stopped the DHEA to see if that was it, and it isn't.

I know exactly how you feel. No matter what I do, I can't lose weight! I feel like I am stuck. My husband doesn't understand how much it means to me to actually lose the weight. It's everything. It effects everything. My moods are so up & down it's controlling my life. It's very depressing.

The one thing that I did notice was on one particular day when I was off the diet, and I wanted to put some serious hours digging up a veggie garden, is that I drank a cup of caffeinated coffee & 3 pancakes. Not like me, but for some reason I knew I needed to get some carbs in, and with the glucose, I figured the caffeine would stabilize it. I ended up doing physical labor for 6 hours, without feeling any muscle pain (which always happens because my blood sugar/cortisol just poops out). It was like adrenaline took over for the first time in a long time. I never thought about the adrenaline factor in adrenal disease either. Now it's got me wondering. But with all that physical labor, and not alot of eating, my weight didn't budge, and I still woke up with high blood sugar the next day!

I just don't get it. I'm seriously thinking about doing the naturopath route. I've been fighting the battle of the bulge for 5 years now. At one point I was doing weight watchers for 6 mos straight & exercising every day for an hour, and had only lost 3 lbs. in that period. I just can't believe it can be this impossible for some of us.

I actually started looking into other diets yesterday. Like a liver cleanse diet. Do you know anything about that? I think it's something along the lines of a whole food diet, but don't know the specifics. I do plan my best to try to keep being active. Maybe something will give...eventually.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:00 AM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Sorry, didn't mean to write a book. I always have the intentions to keep it short & sweet.

I did find a google book that mentioned progesterone as a role in altered glucose homeostasis in pregnancy. I think it might be the progesterone. Have to remind myself it's probably just a temporary thing.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:36 AM   #88

Well, just got back from the chiropractor. He thinks it is a pinched nerve. He wants me to come back tomorrow--it is his slow day and I won't have Kyle with me--for some x-rays and a physical exam. It was worth the trip today because the spinulator (or whatever that machine is called that is a big roller thing going along your back) was sooooo worth the trip. It is the only thing that stretches out my low back and hips. It feels really good. He did say that if the x-rays didn't show anything I would be sent for am MRI. Not too thrilled about that because I really think I (and he too!) know what is going on. We will see.

Snow I am really sorry you live where you cannot get the saliva test--that just sucks!! I was reading on a website (forgotten wich one) that said that California was the other state that did that. That might just help you to target what it is that you need specifically to feel better. A naturopath might be the way to go. I don't really think that doing this by yourself is the way to do it. I definitely need guidance because I don't know anything about the endocrine system. I have decided to do what my doctor suggested because I am lost and don't know what else to do. I just need to follow through. These changes are hard and I am resisting so much. I really wish there were a pill to make it all better so I can go about my life and not have to change. Oh and hubby thinks that the reason I am so sensitive to carbs now (the reason for the big fluctuations in weight!) is because I am doing Atkins. My body just cannot handle all those carbs in the bread, roll, chocolate. So when I do eat them I gain the weight. Very frustrating..... I don't know about the liver cleanse diet, but anything with whole foods I think is a good idea. Fawn keeps writing that it is best to do with whole foods and I regard her opinion highly.

I am actually thinking of writing my doctor a note suggesting that something else may be going on with me. I was told on my adrenal support group on yahoo that my problems may be coming from my first pregnancy 13 years ago!! There is a condition where if you lose a lot of blood during childbirth (which I did with my first baby, even though it was a c-section) it affects your pituitary. I think it is sheehans syndrome. Anyway, the moderator (that whole group is against meds for treating adrenals...they push supplements, herbs,qi and such that I am not into) suggested that I might need the meds for my condition. Having her say that made such an impact....someone who is against modern medicine is suggesting I need medicine. Wow! So, I have that in the back of my mind that I won't get better by just supplementation.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:39 PM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Dawn,

Yes, I've heard of Sheehans. It's a hemorage of the pituitary gland and often causes pituitary apoplexy or something like that. Someone on a pit board suggested that about me too because the neurosurgeon wasn't sure if my growth was a tumor, clot or cyst & I had severe headaches & visual disturbances set off by my last pgy. It drives me insane that I can't even get a correct diagnosis.

I am like the people on that board that I am so anti-rx medications. But I have really found with this that the supplements don't do Jack if there is more than adrenal fatigue. The steroids are a necessary evil, and make a huge difference in symptoms. It's just knowing how to use them & to get off them that is the trick. For me, there is no pattern - it's one extreme to another - so I have to go by symptoms.

I still have cushings in the back of my head too. Rather, "cycling cushings" which is an intermittent form. I really need to get myself to the other endoc. the neurosurgeon recommended.

Your chiro is so much better than mine. Mine has none of the bells & whistles. No fancy equipment at all!
Old 05-04-2009, 05:35 PM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Dawn,

Forgot to comment on your DH's theory about atkins. I tend to agree with it. Before the first time I was on atkins I never had such a problem with carbs. It wasn't till I lost 40 lbs, and then went off of it that I did & I gained so rapidly - within 3 mos. - I ended up weighing more than I started. In fact the first day off, my stomach was majorly bloated. And every diet since I have not been able to lose weight. I think for those of us with some kind of insulin resistance, whether it's blood sugar/pancreas, adrenal, pituitary, I think it can make us more insulin resistant.