Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 04:34 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nurselindylou
Stats: 275/255/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: feburary 26 2008
Diarrhea- common with Atkins?

I've been on Atkins for about 2 months now and have developed painless diarrhea about 2 weeks ago. I initially attributed it to some SF candy I would occasionally have (never to excess) and my magnesium supplement (250mg once a day). But now it has me concerned. I am calling my doctor today for an appointment, but am wondering if anyone has had similar symptoms. Would this new WOE cause this? I have had my gallbladder removed but never had problems with fat digestion before. Hmmmm...

thank you!
nurselindylou is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2009, 04:40 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

It just occurred to me that I having been eating egg creams for about the same amount of time as my problem....wonder if their is a connection?!
Old 04-08-2009, 12:22 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SlapHappy
Stats: 330/202/185
WOE: LC
Start Date: 12/07/98
I would stop the egg creams and see what happens.

I have found that when I go too low in carbs I either get diarrhea or constipation. People have suggested that the diarrhea is from gluten or dairy, but I've gone without both for 6 weeks without a change. Just increasing my carb level a little is all it takes to get back to normal. I need to be eating at least 60g carbs for normal digestion. Odd thing is that it doesn't matter how much *fiber* I get, just the carbs.
SlapHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: karenann33
I'm still in induction and am having this problem. I think I'm not having enough carbs either but I'm still working the program so it's not time to add more in yet. LOL!!

BTW: I know this is weird but I like to think pleasant thoughts about it. I picture all this fat/toxins being flushed out of my body.
karenann33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I'd stop the magnesium until you find out what the problem is. The low dosage you're taking shouldn't be the cause, but it will compound the problem.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:31 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for your help, guys.
I went to the doctor today and she said it is undigested fat due the the fact I no longer have my gallbladder. She advised me to start FiberCon pills to see if it will bulk things up. I have a follow up appointment next week.
By the way, when I told the nurse I was on a "low-carb diet" the first thing she said was "You have to watch out with those, it can make you go into ketosis, and you don't want that! That is dangerous!" LOL

My MD on the other hand was very encouraging and even went so far as to call carbs "evil".

Old 04-11-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
I always had diarrhea when I was on atkins. Whenever I was in ketosis I had it. I had to eat very small meals more frequently, rather than 3 larger meals a day.
Jennyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:33 PM   #8
Committed to Succeed

Gallery: Magicsmom
Stats: 282/182/140
WOE: Low carb/portion control
Start Date: Re-re-restarted 7/16/12
It is very common to get the runs when in ketosis. I suppose we're the lucky ones. I wouldn't want to be having the opposite problem. Years back, a nutritionist from Atkins Nutritionals used to post here. I asked her about the keto-runs and what to do. She told me to take bioflavonoids. You get it in a health food store, or you can google it and get it online. Believe me, it is like a miracle. I will never again go into ketosis without bioflavonoids. When the problem is really bad, take about four of them a day. You can cut it back to two when it gets under control.

Terry
Magicsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:59 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: awlass
Stats: 385 / 375.8 / 230.2 / 150
WOE: RNY
Start Date: 10/20/11 RNY 05/15/2012
i just started today, only doing a like-induction (not counting the net carbs, but eating only induction allowed foods) and about halfway through the day, i got horriable abdominal pain followed by diarrhea... but im used to eating 150+ net carbs a day... so im sure its from lack of carbs.. no fun!
awlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:03 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DelhiBelli
Stats: maintaining at my current size
WOE: High Fat/ Mod Protein/ Low Carb
Start Date: September 2009
I think what the MD says is right. Once you reduce the carbs and increase your fats, it takes a little while for your body to adjust so initially, some of those fats will go right through you. If you're consistent with the diet, it will clear up in a few weeks.
DelhiBelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:02 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cerisedownunder
Stats: 139/131/125
Start Date: Feb 2010
I'm the complete opposite - didn't go to the toilet ONCE during 11 days of induction and even when I did it wasn't anything to write home about!
cerisedownunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:10 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DelhiBelli
Stats: maintaining at my current size
WOE: High Fat/ Mod Protein/ Low Carb
Start Date: September 2009
Cerise,
That's impressive. My record is 6 days. Wow!
DelhiBelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:33 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cerisedownunder
Stats: 139/131/125
Start Date: Feb 2010
I was starting to wonder where the hell all the food was going!
cerisedownunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:54 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PghPALady1974
WOE: thru my mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurselindylou View Post
Thanks for your help, guys.
I went to the doctor today and she said it is undigested fat due the the fact I no longer have my gallbladder. She advised me to start FiberCon pills to see if it will bulk things up. I have a follow up appointment next week.
By the way, when I told the nurse I was on a "low-carb diet" the first thing she said was "You have to watch out with those, it can make you go into ketosis, and you don't want that! That is dangerous!" LOL

My MD on the other hand was very encouraging and even went so far as to call carbs "evil".

Sounds like your MD needs to have a chat with the nurse!
PghPALady1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:13 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FitMommyNow
Stats: 280/235/160
WOE: No Sugar, No Grains, No Dairy, No Nuts
Are you eating a ton of veggies (more so than you are used to roughage wise)? That could be it as well. Also, if you are eating any LC bars or such they can cause that kind of reaction if you are sensitive to the ingredients.
FitMommyNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:16 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GRANGRAN
Stats: -58 lbs
Start Date: 05/07/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicsmom View Post
It is very common to get the runs when in ketosis. I suppose we're the lucky ones. I wouldn't want to be having the opposite problem. Years back, a nutritionist from Atkins Nutritionals used to post here. I asked her about the keto-runs and what to do. She told me to take bioflavonoids. You get it in a health food store, or you can google it and get it online. Believe me, it is like a miracle. I will never again go into ketosis without bioflavonoids. When the problem is really bad, take about four of them a day. You can cut it back to two when it gets under control.
Magicsmom,
What are the brand and type you get! I looked online and none of them seemed to say they would help this problem.
GRANGRAN is offline   Reply With Quote