Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2009, 06:52 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TxHomeGirl
WOE: Lower Carb
Valium for MRI

I will be having an MRI on my back next week. The doctor asked if I was claustrofobic and I told her that it could be an issue. I don't like to feel that I am trapped inside something; I feel like I can't breathe. So, she prescribed Valium for me to take prior to the MRI to relax me. I have 4 pills, 5 mg each with instructions to take 2 one hour before the MRI and 2 30 minutes before. I have never taken Valium before and don't know if this is a small dose or large or what. Also, I am concerned that too much and I will be completely out and not able to function. Anyone have any experience with this; I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
TxHomeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gymnut56
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 1/25/14
Hi Home Girl,

I'm a nurse at a clinic near Chicago. We prescribe 10 mg of Valium 1/2 hr. before the procedure....and here's the important part...patient must have a driver. You have to have someone with you.

You will be fine. Tired, relaxed. Make plans to go home and rest after the MRI.

Mary
gymnut56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shapeup1
WOE: Lots of protein
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHomeGirl View Post
I will be having an MRI on my back next week. The doctor asked if I was claustrofobic and I told her that it could be an issue. I don't like to feel that I am trapped inside something; I feel like I can't breathe. So, she prescribed Valium for me to take prior to the MRI to relax me. I have 4 pills, 5 mg each with instructions to take 2 one hour before the MRI and 2 30 minutes before. I have never taken Valium before and don't know if this is a small dose or large or what. Also, I am concerned that too much and I will be completely out and not able to function. Anyone have any experience with this; I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
If you never took it before, sounds like a lot, you'll be able to function just smashed. Where is the mri . if its the leg the don't put you all the way in...I would take 2 45 minutes before going in, but you must have a driver.....

Its no big deal at all.........unless your Claus.
shapeup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the info Mary. That makes me feel better. Yes, I will have a driver, my DH will be going with me. I appreciate your help !
Old 02-21-2009, 05:55 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Also it is very painful sometimes to lay for that length of time getting an MRI-trust me you will be grateful for the Valium.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:11 AM   #6

Gallery: Houston Heather
Stats: 228/166/160 Waist: 42/31/31
WOE: Atkins 2002 Ongoing Weight Loss/pre maintenance
Start Date: Feb 26, 2008 (second and last time)
My husband is blind. A while back he had to get an MRI.

They said he was the best patient ever, the narrow enclosure didn't freak him out at all.
Houston Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:34 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Carleigh
Valium?!! How come no one offered me Valium?!

I had an MRI on my knee and while I'm not claustrophobic just laying there with my knee in that little brace thing (so I wouldn't move it) had me about to jump out of my skin! A sedative definitely would've helped!
Carleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:30 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everybody for your advice and wisdom. Took 10 mg about 30 minutes before and had no problem with claustrophobia. MRI went fine. Will be getting results next Friday.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:37 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Pcola Girl
Stats: Start-325 Today-225 Goal 160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Sarted Nov. 2000---Restarted New January 2008
How come they are not using the open MRI msachine? Thats what I have always used when they did MRI's on my back and spine....
They are really alot nicer than those closed in ones.
Pcola Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

{How come they are not using the open MRI msachine? Thats what I have always used when they did MRI's on my back and spine....
They are really alot nicer than those closed in ones.}

Mary,

The neurologist I worked for a few years back wanted his patients in the closed units...the pictures came out much better.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:56 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

TexasGirl,

Glad to hear everything went well.

Mary
Old 03-06-2009, 04:02 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Got the results from my MRI today. I have 2 degenerated discs, L3/4 & L4/5 with something she said was "stenosis". She explained that the channel that the nerves come out of was narrowed and that is what is causing my sciatica. I am currently on 400 mg of Neurontin 3 times a day and she added a muscle relaxer that I can take in the evening as it causes drowsiness. Since my pain is being controlled pretty well right now with my Neurontin, we decided to let everything ride for another 6 months. She said that if my pain increased to the point that I couldn't get relief, the next step would be the injections in the back. The injections kinda scare me, but back surgery scares me even more. Anybody have any experiece with the injections. She told me that they usually prefer to do the injections with a local anesthesia instead of putting you completely out; but that sounds like it would really be painful ! Thanks everyone ! !
Old 03-07-2009, 01:40 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: angelo212
Just had my first epidural injection this week. I did it with no local anesthsia. It was not painful at all. I go for another in a month and the third in another month. They recommend no more then 3 a year. You'll be fine. Not painful at all. Go to youtube and watch videos of the procedure.
angelo212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:29 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Thanks angelo. Are your injections for sciatica as well? I will be interested to know how well they work for you.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: angelo212
They are for a herniated disc and bulging disc from a car accident. From the one injection I feel a bit better. The next one should see a difference.
angelo212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:12 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Angelo, sorry to hear about your car accident. Glad the injection made you feel a bit better.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:29 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KMassanet
MRI with valium

Thanks to all of your posts. I went in for an MRI last week and had a severe panic attack even before I went in the tube. Thanks to all the advice on this forum -- Valium, blindfold, friends rubbing my legs and praying -- I went back in for my MRI this morning and it went GREAT! Not only was I completely without anxiety, it was almost pleasant. Your advice was invaluable. Kathy
KMassanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #18
Committed to Succeed

Gallery: Magicsmom
Stats: 282/182/140
WOE: Low carb/portion control
Start Date: Re-re-restarted 7/16/12
It would certainly take all of 20 mg. of Valium to get me into that tube.
Magicsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Over40
Stats: 200 to 170/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Every other day
I had surgery a month and a half ago. In recovery the nurse asked if I wanted more morphine. Heck Ya!

I wasn't turning that down.
Over40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #20
Committed to Succeed

Gallery: Magicsmom
Stats: 282/182/140
WOE: Low carb/portion control
Start Date: Re-re-restarted 7/16/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over40 View Post
I had surgery a month and a half ago. In recovery the nurse asked if I wanted more morphine. Heck Ya!

I wasn't turning that down.
Morphine gives me a headache. When I was in the hospital after a car accident, I actually asked them to switch me to something else.
Magicsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BSquared
OMG! I have to get MRIs of my brain because I was diagnosed with MS years ago. Closed machines get better images but I am totally cluastrophobic! First time my girlfriend got me drunk....seriously drunk but that isn't practical so I too take Valium but I had to take 5 to be able to stay in the tube with my boyfriend there as support and driver. I slept half the day but I break into a cold sweat and find it hard to breathe without being that looped.
BSquared is offline   Reply With Quote