Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Meowser
Stats: 164/150/150
WOE: Lower carb & "Eating clean"
Start Date: 1/31/14
Living with diverticulosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattyboy View Post
Hi Meowser!

I was just reading about your "Diverticulitis" problem....I have it also.

How are you feeling and any flare-up's?

I am 44 year old female and just was hospitalized for the "2nd time" about 5 weeks ago!

I found you because i "Googled": "Diverticulosis and eating Buffalo Wings"
(and you came up - thankfully)

Today was the NFL Play-off games and I figured what harm could only 4 Buffalo Wings do????

I am in pain and VOW to never eat Buffalo Wings again!

Are you doing anyhting special to manage the Diverticulosis?
(other than Fiber intake and lots of water)

I started doing "BRAGGS" Organic Apple Cider Vinegar Tonic daily
(the cocktail is AVC and Baking Soda and Fesh Lime Juice with Warm Water)
Seems to make me feel good and LOTS of ENERGY!
It neutralize the Alkaline to help with digestion.

Have also replaced coffee with "Yerba Mate".....this is AMAZING!
Your energy will soar and the mental clarity is WOW....it adds digestion.

My problem is: I am so afraid of what I eat and always wondering will it make me sick again?

IMPORTANT: I went almost 3 years without any problems and my 2nd hospitalzation.

After reading your first blog enteries, before you got sick....I noticed many "Common" denomanators:
Eating on the run
No time for water intake
Too much fatty foods
All the NUTS eaten on LC Diet
Hectic lifestyle....the stress of your daily life and the wedding.
The combination of all these = Diverticulosis

Please respond, I am looking for any help and tips from someone who has also suffered.

Thank you,
Catty Boy
(aka Cydney)
Cydney,

Thanks for asking how I'm doing. Some days good, some days not-so-good. I actually just recovered from another flare up. Not bad enough to put me into the hospital, but still annoying.

I have most definitely figured out that I can't eat seeds and corn-based things. Tortilla chips seem to have caused a pretty bad flare-up for me. I haven't had a reaction to nuts since the attack that landed me in the hospital.

I'm in denial about buffalo wings. I really think they are causing a problem with me. And I ate them for a few days before my most recent flare-up. But I love them so much. And I honestly can't figure out why or how they would be causing a problem.

I seem to have a hard time working up to a high-fiber diet. Whenever I get there and am eating good for a few weeks, I have a flare-up or at least some pain that scares me back to a low fiber diet where I have no problems.

My current concern is that lettuce is no longer agreeing with me and I LOVE having salads for lunch. Lettuce isn't affecting my diverticulosis, but it seems to run right through me nowadays. So I'm trying to find something new to eat for lunch.

I may have to try your BRAGGS apple cider vinegar suggestion. I'm always open to things that help with digestion. How much do you take? Do you just drink it - make a cocktail out of it?

What has been helping me is probiotics and magnesium supplements.

I'm with you on the being afraid of what I eat and worrying. Going out to eat, which I love, can be annoying when they slip corn or sesame seeds into something I'm not expecting.

Travel is a big thing for me. It's a danger because I'm such a nervous traveler and it always causes me to change my eating habits. Recently I've been much better about drinking enough water, remembering my supplements, and choosing better foods. So hopefully I can continue to manage that well.

Well, that's a snapshot of me and my diverticulosis. I hope that some of that is helpful to you. I'm not sure I'm the best person to be getting tips from because I'm still figuring it all out. I think I'm going to go look for the BRAGGS ACV. The health food store should have that, right?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Pcola Girl
Stats: Start-325 Today-225 Goal 160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Sarted Nov. 2000---Restarted New January 2008
I had to have part of my colon removed about ten yrs. ago due to diverticulitis. That was not fun at all.
I went years not knowing what was causing my pain on my left low side. Doctors always told me it was gas related until I got so sick with it and ran a 103 fever and the pains were so severe I thought I was dying. Only in the ER did they find the problem and rushed me to emergency surgery because it was getting ready to rupture.

You all take care of that stuff because it can get really bad.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:21 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: fawn
If I may jump in here, I have 2 diverticulosis/itis clients I'm working with currently. High fiber is constantly pushed for you poor folks and I have to say I disagree with this protocol. Healing the affected area is a good start and this can take a very long time as I'm sure you are both aware. The ACV is a great start as it is a soft tissue healer. As well, are you both on L-Glutamine? 3000mg. a day is a good idea, as well, slippery elm bark to re-build that mucosal membrane (4 tablets as tea or taken with warm water 3x daily). Coconut oil is very healing too and since it's an anti-microbial, it keeps the flare ups at bay. I would completely steer clear of veggie oils and this is what you may be experiencing with the buffalo wings. Vegetable oils cause the cell wall harm and compromise the cell wall integrity inviting disease. It wreaks havoc really. Some even speculate it is a leading cause of cancer. this is your soybean, safflower, sunflower, canola and corn oils. The buffalos wings if not prepared by you more than likely have been cooked in or have been marinated in soybean oils.

nurturing foods, bone broths, higher fat, and squash are all nice diver foods.

I wish both of you well.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:31 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cattyboy
Hi Meowser and Fawn Diverticulitis

I am sorry for not responding sooner...thought this was one of those blogs that responses automatically come to your email account.

Fawn~
Thank you! will try the "L-Glutanmine" for the Diverticulitis.
Also thanks for explaining about the vegetable oils.

MEOWSER~
My dear fellow suffer...does this consume your mind daily of when your next outbreak will be?

Here is my email address, so you can write me directly:
Cydneycsc@yahoo.com
(think you are in nyc, i am in north jersey)

Here is what I am learning:
STRESS is a huge factor in our disease....it causes some pent-up restrcitions of the bowel, not letting it to have its normal muscular responses to "expell" wastes.

Think you mentioned you are in tv, I am in PR and and a publicist for a celebrity client....need i say more about stress?
(I can actually feel a "burning pain" whenever I am running late or prepping for an interview.
Do you feel it too in your lower left side?

Here is what I think about "Buffalo Wings":
Think it is the "fatty" skin and the hot sauce.

I just bought the book "Great Taste, No Pain" for $90.
The theory is NOT to combine certain foods....like NO STARCH with any meats!
(this means no bun with a burger, no fries with chicken, etc.)

When you email me, I will tell you more.

For instance, you can ONLY eat fruit by itself - no yogurt or cottage cheese!
Then you have to wait at least 30 min. before eating something else.

This allows less stress on the digestion and produces less acids.

I have also been taking "Slippery Elm" capsules and that kinda moisturizes the bowel.

Pro-biotics are also really important to add because they help fight infections in your colon.

If you travel alot, you need to ALWAYS be prepared and carry foods with you....you need to eat "whole foods", nothing processed.

Yours is probably a result of high stress, trying to do your job and eating on the run and lack of water.
(it's hard to get those 8 glasses a day down when you are always busy texting, talking and running around)

Hope this helps, email me and I will tell you more.

Best wishes,
Catty
Cattyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:05 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Agee
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 6/28/14
Thanks for that nutritional advice, Fawn! I really appreciate it.
I had a bout of diverticulosis last winter and when I asked if it could ever be healed the drs. all said no. Nice to know I can do something about it!
Quote:
I seem to have a hard time working up to a high-fiber diet. Whenever I get there and am eating good for a few weeks, I have a flare-up or at least some pain that scares me back to a low fiber diet where I have no problems.
Why don't you stay low fiber? Whose body is it, anyway?
I know this is what they say we need to do, but I feel really horrible and I can physically feel my diverticula when I eat high fiber. The best I feel is when I eat high fat/low fiber. I have never had a problem with constipation and when I had my episode I had been gluten free for 3 years and had only been eating almost only whole foods for 2, and the ER drs. said I got it b/c I was chronically constipated b/c of my "typical American diet."
I do not get constipated. Constipated for me is going only 1x/day instead of 2. My whole life I've been like this.
I think *my* diverticulitis was caused by movie popcorn, compounded by a huge, multi-course and super high fiber meal on Xmas eve (starting with a nut plate, involving lots of raw veg and fruit and ending with sauerkraut). I think an undigested kernel ripped my colon and then the rest of it did a number on me.
But that's just me and my body. The dr's said no way did that happen. But I don't believe them and it's my body, so I do what I think is best and what makes me feel the best...
Old 02-18-2009, 12:34 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
There can be a strong connection with yeast overgrowth/candida albicans and diverticulosis.

In the early 1990's I developed severe problems with my gut/intestines....nothing was found but now I can point my finger at lyme disease as the culprit. The gastro doc insisted that I eat fiber, fiber and MORE FIBER but it was making me very sick. He just didn't "get it".

I really think I was dealing with candida overgrowth at the time too as lyme disease sufferers also have a high rate of yeast overgrowth. I do hope you find relief for your problem. I was given the DX of Ulcerative Colitis but after years and years of colonoscopies there was never anything found.

Last edited by Linny; 02-18-2009 at 12:36 PM..
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:39 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rainfall
Well I just recently found out that anal bleeding can be induced by diverticulosis. I have experienced anal bleeding several times this last month, and I am afraid that I might have diverticulosis. Is there a way that I can be sure that I have this?
rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:28 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rainfall
I have one more question. Is surgery necessary for diverticulosis? I went to my doctor today for a check up and I forgot to ask him this. There are some possibilities that I might loose my insurance in near future and I would like to get this done before I lost it. Also doctor said that anal bleeding can be induced by many other things but will wait for my results.
rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:58 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: fawn
rainfall, only your Dr. can diagnose your diver disease. Surgery is not the first step, it's the final step for diver. You have some very clear signs that an appointment is necessary.

With that, come back and check out the advice above. Soft foods, coconut oil, probiotics, no nuts and seeds, gentle fibers ( I always recommend avocado, squash, etc.) and I also like the effects of a good correctly made bone broth.

I wish you well. Do make an appointment ok?
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Rainfall,

As far as I know, many people have diverticulosis (when you get to a certain age, the percentage is believed to be 50% - 70& of the population). Diverticulosis is merely having diverticula (pouches) in your colon. MOST people with diverticulosis never have problems and never develop diverticulitis (an active infection of the diverticula).

I believe the only way to diagnose diverticulosis without an attack of diverticulitis is through a colonscopy.

If you do have diverticulosis, it is pretty easy to live with. You just have to pay attention to you body, pay attention to what you eat (and how it affects you), and manage your stress.

This is what I do
* Pay attention to my body, especially digestion, and how things affect me. Bloating, churning, that lower-left abdominal pain/pressure that is the diverticulotis/diverticulosis.
* I avoid eating nuts (I do eat smooth nut butter), seeds, and all corn products. You probably don't need to avoid all corn products unless you notice a problem. I think tortillas triggered an attack so I avoid it all. Most people only avoid corn and popcorn.
* Choose foods that cause your body to react well. For me that is a mid-fiber diet. I can't eat a lot of high fiber grains, but I do well on lots of fruits, veggies, and nut butters.
* Manage my stress. Pay attend to my body when traveling.
* Drink enough water.
* TMI alert: My goal to avoid constipation and have a good bowel movement every day (or at least 5 per week).

Surgery? My doctor said that surgery is a last resort for those who can't manage their diverticulosis and avoid flare-ups. I was told 3 trips to the hospital for an attack and the 'bad' section of colon comes out. Luckily I have avoided more trips to the hospital (I only have the one trip where I was first diagnosed and had a 5-day stay). I do know 2 people who have had the surgery. One is thrilled with it and has had no further problems (although eh does still avoid popcorn). The other is still recovering.

When I start to feel bad (excessive abdominal bloating, lower-left abdominal pain), I drop down to a low fiber/low residue diet until I feel better (No fiber, processed grains). If it's bad, I drop to a clear, liquid diet for a day or two. Then work up to a low-fiber diet for a while. Then slowly adjust to my regular diet.

As far as I know your doctor is right, as far as anal bleeding goes, I think diverticulosis is pretty far down the list. And it's not top bad to live with. Surgery would only be for multiple attacks of diverticulitis (the infection).

Hope everything goes well, and it's nothing serious.

BTW fawn, I read through my earlier post. I've been successfully eating lettuce for a while now. No idea what's different for me.
Meowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:46 AM   #11
FLUFF'S FAVORITE BUBBE!!!

Location: What am I doing in this basket and why is it so warm in here????
Gallery: helenback
Diabetes and Diverticulitis

I know I am a little late to this thread, but am hoping for some suggestions.

I ended up in ER last week. Thought a thousand things were going on, had no idea I had diverticulitis. DAAAAAAANG does that hurt or what!

I was diagnosed with diabetes in August 2013 and my last a1c in April was in normal range! woot woot! I am fighting my diabetes war with diet. Low Carb of course.

Back to the diverticulitis. They told me to drink broth, juices, etc then slowly add back in foods. As a person with diabetes juices and popsicles weren't an option. I have basically been living on 2 eggs each for breakfast, lunch and supper since ER visit.

Today I started taking a probiotic to help my poor gut counteract the 2 massive antibiotics they put me on.

So basically I am drinking lots of water, tea, 2 eggs at morning, noon and night, 2 antibiotics, baby aspirin, allergy med, xanax to get to sleep with pain.

I am pretty sure this flare up was caused by the fact that since diabetes diagnosis my snack of choice has been peanuts and pecans. Also when I make taco meat, I was crumbling 3 tostito chips in my taco meat. It was just enough to give me "taco crunch" w/o raising my blood sugars. Gawd, I'm going to miss tostitos.

My question is...

Does anyone have suggestions for a healing diet for diverticulitis that doesn't mess up blood sugar numbers for diabetes?

Should I add anything to the probiotics I'm taking?

Thanks in advance for any help with this!

I can be powerful or I can be pitiful! I choose powerful!
helenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:04 AM   #12

I tried to edit above post and couldn't so thought I should add..

Fried or scrambled eggs are cooked in bacon grease and boiled eggs are eaten with butter
Old 05-19-2014, 04:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post
rainfall, only your Dr. can diagnose your diver disease. Surgery is not the first step, it's the final step for diver. You have some very clear signs that an appointment is necessary.

With that, come back and check out the advice above. Soft foods, coconut oil, probiotics, no nuts and seeds, gentle fibers ( I always recommend avocado, squash, etc.) and I also like the effects of a good correctly made bone broth.

I wish you well. Do make an appointment ok?

Fawn, may I ask, do you have any other suggestions for "gentle" fiber foods?
Thank you in advance. (I really want to own my care of this diver. diagnosis like I did my diabetes, so any help is appreciated!
Old 05-20-2014, 09:20 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: poe2you
this couldn't come at a better time.. i was just in the hospital for the day with an attack.. it does hurt geezy peezy...
thank god for pain meds..
i think mine was as a result of eating popcorn..

however, reading the internet different sites say different things.. avoid nuts, seeds.. others say its a myth.. great..no..thank you.. i'll avoid the nuts and seeds.. i'll stick to the nut butters.. i don't want that pain again..

right now.. the only thing i can eat has been chicken broth, eggs.. and i've notice i dropped so much bloat.. wow.. does it cause bloat when suffering an attack..

thanks for posting your stories.. it helps
poe2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:16 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm sorry to hear that you guys are going through this. It took me a long time to find out what works and doesn't work for me.

helenback, unfortunately I don't have experience with diabetes so I don't know what to specifically say. I have had good luck with aloe vera juice. When things are bad (or in times of stress) 1 shot of aloe vera juice in the morning and 1 shot before bed helps a lot. It's definitely worth researching.

It's very hard for me to maintain low carb when recovering from an attack. In fact, I can't do it. When everything is well, it's easy to eat lower carb and mid-fiber. However, I ate a lot of broth, noodle soup, and white bread toast when recovering and I don't think any of that is diabetes-friendly. Yogurt is good. Soon you should be able to add chicken breast and soft (mushy) veggies and that should improve things for you.

poe2you, the bloat is amazing! It's now one of the warning signs I look for. When I'm very bloated, I eat extra carefully and make sure to take aloe vera juice. It seems to help be catch it early. And I agree with you about nuts, seeds, and corn! Stress is bad and eating those would cause me serious worry, so it's just easier and less stressful to avoid them. No matter what the experts say!

Take care of yourselves and keep us updated!
Old 05-30-2014, 07:29 PM   #16

Lawd, lawd that was on experience I NEVER want to have again!

I've been reading all I can find and I know that the medical community now says that it isn't nuts, seeds, blah, blah, blah.. blah..

I am NEVER eating a nut again! Don't care whether it caused it or not. I had been eating a lot of nuts.. so I am NOT taking that chance again!

I lived on boiled eggs for 2 weeks, lol. 2 for each meal. I'm so over that.

Meowser, you are so right it is just easier to avoid and not take the chance. I wish I liked yogurt, but uh uh.. no way.

I have begun to add things back into my diet (besides eggs) but am doing so very, very carefully. I'll be curious as to what the gastro dr. has to say when I see him. But, I will probably treat this like my diabetes diagnosis. If what they say defies logic.. I'll just do it myself! lol

Poe2you, I hope you are feeling better too!
Old 05-31-2014, 09:24 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/205 @ 5'7" size 7X/12W/14W age 55 (-246#)
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowser View Post
I'm sorry to hear that you guys are going through this. It took me a long time to find out what works and doesn't work for me.

helenback, unfortunately I don't have experience with diabetes so I don't know what to specifically say. I have had good luck with aloe vera juice. When things are bad (or in times of stress) 1 shot of aloe vera juice in the morning and 1 shot before bed helps a lot. It's definitely worth researching.

It's very hard for me to maintain low carb when recovering from an attack. In fact, I can't do it. When everything is well, it's easy to eat lower carb and mid-fiber. However, I ate a lot of broth, noodle soup, and white bread toast when recovering and I don't think any of that is diabetes-friendly. Yogurt is good. Soon you should be able to add chicken breast and soft (mushy) veggies and that should improve things for you.

poe2you, the bloat is amazing! It's now one of the warning signs I look for. When I'm very bloated, I eat extra carefully and make sure to take aloe vera juice. It seems to help be catch it early. And I agree with you about nuts, seeds, and corn! Stress is bad and eating those would cause me serious worry, so it's just easier and less stressful to avoid them. No matter what the experts say!

Take care of yourselves and keep us updated!
I have IBS & diverticulosis; aloe Vera juice is a life saver!
TY for posting, meowser.....
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harriet View Post
I have IBS & diverticulosis; aloe Vera juice is a life saver!
TY for posting, meowser.....
Well! Between you and Meowser.. I def. have to do some more reading about aloe vera juice. Hope it doesn't mess with blood sugars!
Old 05-31-2014, 12:00 PM   #19
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
The things that trigger attacks for me are almonds and shredded coconut. I like almonds so it is hard to abstain but I am getting better at it.

The whole thing about it being caused by a low fiber diet is hogwash. It has been scientifically proven to be incorrect.

I have no problem at all eating LC while recovering, just wait a bit before adding in veggies. Eggs are what I eat first.

I also find aloe vera, probiotics, and digestive enzymes helpful.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:29 PM   #20

Are y'all taking aloe vera juice or gel?

Where do you get it? Is the taste yucky (not that it matters, if it helps, it helps! lol)
Old 05-31-2014, 05:40 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenback View Post
Are y'all taking aloe vera juice or gel?

Where do you get it? Is the taste yucky (not that it matters, if it helps, it helps! lol)
I take the juice. It tasted icky when I first started taking it. Now I shoot it like a shot and don't really keep it in my mouth and it doesn't taste too bad anymore. Some people add it to other things to mask the taste, but I've never had to do that.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowser View Post
I take the juice. It tasted icky when I first started taking it. Now I shoot it like a shot and don't really keep it in my mouth and it doesn't taste too bad anymore. Some people add it to other things to mask the taste, but I've never had to do that.
Sounds right to me! I still remember how to do shooters and surely if I could do shots of tequila, I can do shots of Aloe Juice! Time to wash out those dusty shot glasses!

Thanks Meowser!