Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008, 03:17 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Demokat
Stats: 209/165/140
WOE: Paleoish Organic Whole Foods
Start Date: On and off for years
Flax Allergy-Related to Celiac/Thyroid?

I am so bummed. I think I've developed an allergy to flax. I use flaxmeal for baking because I have celiac disease (no wheat, oats, etc.) and have never had an issue before. This weekend, I made some pumpkin bread with half golden flaxmeal and half almond meal. I only ate two small squares (out of 24 squares in a 13x9 pan). I had similar symptoms to when I used to OD on wheat (intestinal distress and awful cramps). I also gained 3 lbs of bloat.

I am also hypothyroid and I was wondering if anyone else with thyroid problems has issues with flax? I'm wondering if we were ever meant to eat flax anyway, sinc eit was primarily used in industry and not as food until recently.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2008, 03:02 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: enelkay
Stats: 206/145/back to 162/now 145 again
WOE: Moderately low-carb and mostly gluten-free.
Start Date: 11/98 LC; 4/07 GF. Now moderate carb & low gluten
Kathy, are you sure it was a reaction to the flaxseed? Or could it have been an intestinal upset from something else. Could you accidentally have ingested some gluten -- or even breathed it in, walking past or through a bakery? Also, flaxseed has a natural laxative effect on some people, and if you combine it with several high-fiber items in your diet the same day it can cause stomach distress, while it might not without them. To be sure, you might want to stay away from flaxseed for several weeks, then try it again.

I, too, have celiac disease (although I'm lucky in that it's not combined with thyroid problems) and I occasionally get gluten-ingestion symptoms that I have trouble tracing back to anything I eat. Mostly it's happened when I got a bit careless and bought a brand of something that I've used regularly without re-checking the ingredients list because I "know" it's gluten-free -- then when trying to trace what caused my gut problem I've found that the ingredients have changed. The last time that happened it was with bouillon. The brand I usually bought had added gluten to the formula, and I unknowingly bought a new jar and made a gravy with it. I might never have figure out what caused my pain and distress except that my cure for it was to have nothing but weak tea and bouillon (using the bouillon powder from the new jar, of course) for several days -- and it got worse rather than better.

If worst comes to worst and you do find that it's the flaxseed that bothers you, you might want to try substituting oat flour (made from certified gluten-free oats) for the flaxseed in your recipes. The results will probably be rather dry, because the flaxseed adds oil, but maybe adding more butter, shortening or oil might help. I know I've done the reverse -- substituted flaxseed when oat flour was called for in a recipe. It worked, and made the resulting cake more moist.

I hope you find the answer to your problem. And that it isn't the flaxseed, because I know that once you get used to using it in recipes, it's annoying to have to try to re-learn to make the things without it.

Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
enelkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:22 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Nadine. It was Bob's Red Mill Golden Flaxmeal. I think you're right that I may have added too much flax to my diet too quickly. I get my fiber from veggies and nuts, so flax really packs a wallop fiber-wise by comparison. I will check out oats, though I've reacted to them in the past. However, they weren't gluten-free oats. One of my favorite childhood memories are my grandma's oatmeal chocolate chip cookes.

It's funny you mention bouillion, as I had a similar experience. Even at stores like Whole Foods, it's hard to find broths/bouillions without yeast, 'modified starch', or sugar. You have to read every label!
Demokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:37 AM   #4
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
I have Celiac and HIE (Hyper IgE Syndrome..post Xolair injection for one year) and the almond meal would have given me those symptoms of gastric distress. But flaxmeal cooked/baked should have been ok unless it was 'tainted' with gluten. Bob's Redmill is usually a good place to get it. And I agree on adding the fiber 'too fast'.

Oh, the boullion...every Thanksgiving I have to make sure that my turkey hasn't been injected with gluten!

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:26 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstickpam107 View Post
I have Celiac and HIE (Hyper IgE Syndrome..post Xolair injection for one year) and the almond meal would have given me those symptoms of gastric distress. But flaxmeal cooked/baked should have been ok unless it was 'tainted' with gluten. Bob's Redmill is usually a good place to get it. And I agree on adding the fiber 'too fast'.

Oh, the boullion...every Thanksgiving I have to make sure that my turkey hasn't been injected with gluten!

Pam
Hi Pam,

Thanks for your response. I'm thankfully not allergic to nuts (which is good 'cause I LUV them). Are you allergic to nuts?

I think you've posted on the thyroid/gluten intolerance connection before. My mother, aunts, and sisters are all hypo and gluten intolerant or celiac. I directed my mom to stopthethyroidmadness.com for more info. We are all unfortunately on TSH medications and not armour.
Demokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lilalilalila
Celiac & Flax intolerance

I have Celiac (diagnosed 11 years ago). I discovered several years ago I'm totally intolerant to flax. My reaction occurs about 2-3 hours after ingesting and is progressively worse each time (I've had about 7 known instances in 5 years). I am violently ill for about an hour, followed by flu-like symptoms of fever & chills, continued upset digestive system and exhaustion. It does not take much exposure to flax for a reaction. Be very careful if you suspect a similar flax intolerance - read all ingredient labels carefully. Many GF foods include flax - in particular the Enjoy Life brand contains flax in many of their products - so it is important to read carefully.
lilalilalila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: miss sparky
Stats: 204/170/160
WOE: VLC
Start Date: 10 March 2007
oh crumbs ( excuse the pun ) I'm gluten intolerant too, and really rely on my little almond meal and flax muffins. I've been wondering why my stomach was feeling bad since i've been eating these. I suppose I put it down to accidently eating gluten over xmas. I only just started putting the flax in the muffins, so it could well be the almond meal...it may be milled where wheat has been. Maybe i'll just try getting some almonds and grinding them myself, like i do with the flax.
miss sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:10 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DelhiBelli
Stats: maintaining at my current size
WOE: High Fat/ Mod Protein/ Low Carb
Start Date: September 2009
You may not really have an allergy, just a reaction because your digestion may be off with all those years of eating gluten. It probably got better after taking out the wheat, but maybe eating too many nuts and flax caused it to flare up again. Nuts and flax are really hard to digest anyways so you may want to take them out for a couple of weeks and try again later.
DelhiBelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sunny7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalilalila View Post
I have Celiac (diagnosed 11 years ago). I discovered several years ago I'm totally intolerant to flax. My reaction occurs about 2-3 hours after ingesting and is progressively worse each time (I've had about 7 known instances in 5 years). I am violently ill for about an hour, followed by flu-like symptoms of fever & chills, continued upset digestive system and exhaustion. It does not take much exposure to flax for a reaction. Be very careful if you suspect a similar flax intolerance - read all ingredient labels carefully. Many GF foods include flax - in particular the Enjoy Life brand contains flax in many of their products - so it is important to read carefully.

my niece seems to be sick all the time, i was just telling her dad about the celiac, she maybe should be checked for, she is also lactose intolerant, what are the symptoms of the celiac-----, right now she has had the flu for about a week, has the diarrhea and she started to show some bleeding so she went to emergnecy and they told her it was the flu and she had to let it run its course----a lot of things she eats gives her the diarrhea too, what is the test for it, is it by blood, don't know to much about this disease, any thing would be appreaciated

Thanks
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:44 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Babs101
Stats: 175/175/145
WOE: gf/cf
Start Date: 2006
I am gluten and lactose intolerant, actually allergic to cow's milk. Before I changed my diet, the IBS symptoms (flu-like) and acid reflux was rampant. The only thing that helped me within 20 min to 1/2 hr is acidolpholus.

As far as the history of flax:

"Flaxseeds have a long and extensive history. Originating in Mesopotamia, the flax plant has been known since the Stone Ages. One of the first records of the culinary use of flaxseeds is from times of ancient Greece. In both that civilization and in ancient Rome, the health benefits of flaxseeds were widely praised. After the fall of Rome, the cultivation and popularity of flaxseeds declined.

Ironically, it was Charlemagne, the emperor who would be famous for shaping European history, who also helped to shape the history of flaxseeds, restoring them to their noble position in the food culture of Europe. Charlemagne was impressed with how useful flax was in terms of its culinary, medicinal, and fiber usefulness (flaxseed fibers can be woven into linen) that he passed laws requiring not only its cultivation but its consumption as well. After Charlemange, flaxseeds became widely appreciated throughout Europe.

It was not until the early colonists arrived in North America that flax was first planted in the United States. In the 17th century, flax was first introduced and planted in Canada, the country that is currently the major producer of this extremely beneficial seed."
Babs101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:53 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fire_fly_lady
flax experiance for me lately

I havent had any gluten for 3 mo. I thought I would try and add flax to my diet and so I put some on my salad and right away I broke out in hives and rashes So could it be wheat (gluten)and flax have something in common?
fire_fly_lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #12
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
I have Celiac and for a little while, I could have a flax muffin or two. Um..not anymore..now I react badly (bloody stool, bloating, pain, etc....the usual Celiac symptoms I've always reacted to gluten with).

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:19 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wheatweary
you can be allergic to flax

Just thought I'd chime in and confirm that you can be allergic to flax (you can have an allergy to anything). I started taking flaxseed to increase my healthy omega-3s and after a couple of months, I started having symptoms after ingesting it, most notably pain and vomiting. The last time I took it, I almost immediately began vomiting violently and knew it was the flax. My body made sure to get rid of any trace of it!

I went to my allergist and he confirmed the allergy with a skin prick test. It's not something they normally test for, but I have been reading that it's becoming more noticed, as flax use is on the increase. It is an allergy that can cause anaphlyaxis. He prescribed an epipen just in case.

I asked about any cross reactivity with wheat, because I read that somewhere, but he said that wheat and flax are unrelated and there should be no cross reactivity.

However, I am also figuring out that I am either gluten sensitive or celiac. I suppose it could still be a wheat allergy, but I had standard skin prick allergy testing a couple of years ago and did not react to any of the foods then.
wheatweary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Arctic moon
I also am Gluten and Flax intolerant. I also have hypothyroidism

I am a NAET practitioner and do kinesiology and muscle testing. I am very intolerant of Flax. I believe that years of consuming Gluten caused damage to the lining of my intestine. I now have diverticulitis pockets where the Flax seed may get caught and the resultant leaky gut causes sensitivities to the phenolics in the seed. I am sure that hypothyroidism is a contributing factor since it often equates to a slower intestinal transit time. I think most of us who are Gluten intolerant have damage to the cilia and mucousal lining, because few of us were lucky enough to be diagnosed early enough to prevent long term damage. I think it is best to avoid too much roughage and to take digestive enzymes with meals
Arctic moon is offline   Reply With Quote