Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2008, 03:22 PM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Your doctor should know if it is diabetes or not. What does your mom say?

You can use Lite Salt and eat lots of good veggies and Splenda sweetened yogurt (or plain yogurt) for your potassium levels. I'm sure it is fine to eat a banana a day as long as you have some peanut butter or cheese or nuts with it and have it with a meal. That will stop the sugar levels from going too high. Start with 1/2 of a banana and see what happens.

Your mom/dad needs to help you to eat healthy, too.

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2008, 04:23 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweetdreams
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspiredbyjonas View Post
I'm inspired by all the brothers, but especially by Nick...Because I've got hypo. and I feel like I can't do somethings, and he's has full-blown diabetes...and WOW. I'm so proud of him. (and feel like a loser, haha.)

So, do you think it's diabetes? I have the same symptoms (unquenchable thirst, frequent urination, (less) fatigue, hunger, weight loss/gain)...

Testing blood doesn't count as a1c?

I adore Nick Jonas.. he is such a good role model. Kevin and Joe are great too. Nick seems so thoughtful and respectful. Great family.

Anyway.... unfortunately I know more about Type 1 diabetes than I ever wanted to know......However, the earlier it is caught, the better. I'd ask for an A1C test and a fasting blood glucose test and possibly an antibody test (for the ones that attack the pancreas ). I believe Gad's... Just to rule Type 1 out. The A1C gives you the average of your blood sugar 2 hours after eating based on the last 3 months.

Being an informed patient sometimes is crucial to care.

I've been thinking about you today... keep us posted.
sweetdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:35 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BrianSCohen
Stats: 205/206/210
WOE: Modified Berstein 30-50g/day
Start Date: August 2006
Just to reiterate. You don't have to eat carbs to get your potassium. The nurse is just poorly informed. You need 4700 mg/day. Again here is a convenient list:

Value in mg per 100 grams of edible portion of raw item

French Beans 1316
Lentils 905
Spinach 558
Carrots 320
Broccoli 316
Cauliflower 303
Strawberry 292
G.Peas 244
Tomatoes 237
Asparagus 202
Lettuce 194

If you really want to get to the root of your hypoglycemia you are going to need to see an expert, an endochronolgist. You GP or family physician won't have the background to properly diagnose you. As sweetdreams noted, there are tests to help sort things out. A HbA1c would be useful, but what really is important for detecting reactive hypoglycemia is the glucose tolerance test. When you see a doctor for this, you should expect him to request this test and if he doesn't you should question him.
BrianSCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:04 PM   #34
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: inspiredbyjonas
The doctor only told my mom that I have low potassium levels, so I wouldn't know. And maybe I have pre-diabetes? (not trying to diagnose myself, just thinking, because I have all the symptoms and no diabetes, so I hear, and I hear that's pre.)

Thanks. It's just the problem of hypo and anemia. I've got lots of things wrong with me...

I'm going to try to figure it out!
inspiredbyjonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:09 PM   #35
Junior LCF Member

I completely agree with you about the Jonas family. I really look up to them, and I can't understand how people could hate/dislike them. They are all so amazing, and have great faith, love, and support.

I'm sorry you have T1, but I guess at least you're informed...

When should I ask the nurse? (I believe I am going straight for blood tests, as in not seeing the doctor. I didn't receive further instructions than that, considering she called my mom.)

It touches me that you've been thinking about me, that's so sweet. Thank you.

Last edited by inspiredbyjonas; 11-06-2008 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: forgot info.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:11 PM   #36
Junior LCF Member

B: Thank you, but the only thing that I can't eat is whole (like real)strawberries--I'm allergic. Any substitutes you can think of?

Okay, definitely confused again. Sorry.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:56 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

For the potassium... I'd try the salt... you can look for it in the salt section, just read the labels.

I'd call the doctor and tell him/her that you specifically want to be tested for Type 1 Diabetes.... the A1C test and and the 3 hour glucose tolerance test would be good too as Brian suggested. By the time we went to the doctor with my daugther they did a simple urine test and told us in 5 minutes... she had type 1 diabetes.

However when I made the apt. I TOLD them I wanted her checked for diabetes. So you may have to tell them you want tested. They can't refuse you by law.

Seeing an endo usually takes a referral and a long wait to get in.

I guess as a last resort you could buy a $10.00 meter somewhere and have like 50 total carbs ( one can of regular soda should do the trick ) then check you bloodsugar at 1 hour and 2 hours. People without diabetes usually do not go over 200. You can always test with another member of your family.... you both drink the coke... then test at 1 hour after that and at 2 hours after the coke and compare readings.

Hope this help......hugs to you and your family..
Old 11-06-2008, 05:15 PM   #38
Junior LCF Member

Thanks.

What do I do with the salt? Just eat it plain?

My doctor told me they would test my urine/blood for 'everything'...like blood sugar, kidney, and everything, and that's why I was confused when I got the call. And I thought they would sit down with me and go over the results.

I have no idea what the number is, so my mom would have to do it, again...Could I possibly ask the nurse when I go into the room to get my blood taken?

Only Type 1 or should I do Type 2, also?

When should I go to the last resort?

I was told on another forum that I should ALREADY have a (BS) meter...Do you all think that is true?

Thank you, this does help tons! You too.

Last edited by inspiredbyjonas; 11-06-2008 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: forgot info.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:25 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

I'd eat the salt with my meals sprinkled on stuff like cucumbers, eggs etc... just make sure you don't have any health problems that would prohibit salt.... I'd ask the doctor first. When do you go for the tests??

Are you feeling any better? Can you get the testing done tomorrow?? If something is up with your results... they usually tell you quickly.

IF your bloodsugar is high.. the doctor should be able to tell you which type of diabetes you have.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:10 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Okay! I got the results back!!

The nurse just called my mom and said that I had low potassium levels so I had to have more citrus food, potatoes, yogurt, bananas, and OJ.

I have to "do that" and come back in 2-3 weeks, and get more blood drawn for more testing.

I am a little skeptical that this is all...and I have no idea what to do!

Hold on a minute here. A fasting blood sugar reading is part of any standard test the doctor performs. If you had type 1 and an elevated blood sugar, that would have stood out like a red flag poked in your doctors eye. You don't have any immediate diabetic concern. Your doctor did tell you that you had low potassium (hypokalemia) a fairly common condition, which explains your symptoms.

Here are the symptoms of low potassium:
  • Weakness, tiredness, or cramping in arm or leg muscles, sometimes severe enough to cause inability to move arms or legs due to weakness (much like a paralysis)
  • Tingling or numbness
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Abdominal cramping, bloating
  • Constipation
  • Palpitations (feeling your heart beat irregularly)
  • Passing large amounts of urine or feeling very thirsty most of the time
  • Fainting due to low blood pressure
  • Abnormal psychological behavior: depression, psychosis, delirium, confusion, or hallucinations.

I could easily see all your symptoms being explained by the potassium problem. Your doctor asked you to get your fill of potassium rich foods and come in for another test. My bet is he is going to test your potassium levels again and you are going to be fine. Eat a selection of the foods that have been recommended, you can try the salt alternative or potassium supplements.

My bet is that if you get the potassium up in your diet, you actually may feel better and know you have done the right thing.

And don't worry, I suffer from that last sypmtom all the time, so I have to keep on top of the whole potassium thing.

Last edited by BrianSCohen; 11-07-2008 at 07:12 AM..
Old 11-08-2008, 02:48 PM   #41
Junior LCF Member

I haven't done the salt yet, and I haven't asked my doctor. I go from 2 weeks after November 4th.

I'm feeling better, but I am always cold or hot, nothing in between. Right now...I am soo cold, it's not even funny. I am tired, always hungry, the thirst is a bit better, still frequent urination, weight is fluxuating.

I can't get tests tomorrow, because it's Sunday, for one. And, I have to make an appt. I don't know what to say, either. It took them a long time to tell me, my mom had to call THEM. I don't know what's up with that, but it scared me.

I don't know my blood sugar.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:51 PM   #42
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Brian.

But, I am still concerned about my hypo.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:04 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks Brian.

But, I am still concerned about my hypo.
I'm glad you are feeling better. Keep up with good servings of foods high in potassium.

You can get a meter for basically free. Many come with a rebate making them free and Walmart has one for like $9 with strips for $21/50. Just tell your mom you need it and take a trip to walmart.

Test yourself a few times first thing in the morning to get a baseline of your morning fasting blood sugar levels, it is normally 80-90 mg/dl. Then when you feel hypoglycemic, you can test. If you are below 70 mg/dl, then yes you are going low. Keep a log of your readings so you can discuss it with your doctor on your next trip.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:42 PM   #44
Junior LCF Member

So, I should get one now? Just get one?
Old 11-12-2008, 07:08 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
So, I should get one now? Just get one?
Yes, just go get a meter and a box of strips at Walmart. If you have a visit to your doctor planned in the near future, you can argue that he should write you a prescription for one. He may have free ones at his office. Many diabetes education centers (at your local hospital) have free ones to give out. Just do it. Then you will know whether your feelings are hypoglycemia or not. Is it not worth 20-30$ to know?
Old 11-12-2008, 12:47 PM   #46
Junior LCF Member

I don't really go to Walmart. I'm not visiting the doctor, I'm getting blood drawn again. I asked the time I got a physical to get one and she said that she would see when she got the results if I needed one, and the NURSE called my mom, not the doctor.

So, what should I do about the doctor thing and tests?
Any suggestions for times and models?

It's worth it. I've been stressing a bit.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:28 AM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I don't really go to Walmart. I'm not visiting the doctor, I'm getting blood drawn again. I asked the time I got a physical to get one and she said that she would see when she got the results if I needed one, and the NURSE called my mom, not the doctor.

So, what should I do about the doctor thing and tests?
Any suggestions for times and models?

It's worth it. I've been stressing a bit.
A simple fasting blood test at the doctors will not identify a hypoglycemia problem. Just be up front and ask (or even press) your doctor for a meter and a prescription for strips. I use the One touch ultra, but almost any is fine. If you are covered by insurance, they may have a preferred brand.

If you don't get one from this visit and can't get to walmart, then just go on-line and order them, have your mom use her credit card.

As to times, for hypoglycemia, simply test when you feel the symptoms. You are just trying to confirm whether you are actually experiencing hypoglycemia.

This forum is always here, but remember, you can always talk to your parents about this. If they understand how you feel, I am sure they can help you advocate with the doctor and get you the meter/strips you need.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:01 PM   #48
Junior LCF Member

I am not sure what to do now...Could you make it simplier for naive me?
Old 11-16-2008, 03:57 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cindy_cfids
Stats: ???/day45=265/188/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 4, 2004
Low carb is the healthiest diet for anyone, whether you are fat, skinny, healthy or unhealthy. It will normalize your system to work the best it can. If you have hypoglycemia or type 2 diabetes then you definitely should be eating low carb. It will not cure it, but will manage it. Go to the store & get NuSalt or Nosalt (it doesn't matter the name) in the salt aisle, it's a salt alternative and high in potassium and you put it on your food instead of salt. Half an avocado a day is great low carb potassium filled food.
I don't think you should worry about buying a glucose meter. Low carb should make you better. Start out with meats, eggs, cheese, sugarfree yogurt & green vegetables. Make a batch of deviled eggs. Smash an avocado with mayonaisse and eat with celery or pork rinds. Make a huge sugar free cheesecake. Don't dwell on what you can't eat but concentrate on what you can eat. No sugar or flour products. Instead of bread, use lettuce. Substitute broccoli for potatoes. Substitute cabbage for pasta. Substitute cauliflower for rice. Do this for a few weeks and see if it makes you feel better. If you read any of the books suggested it will give you all the information you need. Low carb will not only normalize your weight, it will normalize your whole system.

Last edited by cindy_cfids; 11-16-2008 at 04:00 AM..
cindy_cfids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:45 PM   #50
Junior LCF Member

Thanks. So, I shouldn't get a meter? I'm so confused...
Old 11-17-2008, 08:40 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Of course you can get a meter, but if you fix the problem it doesn't really matter if you have proof. I would think the cost of a blood glucose meter would be too expensive for a teenager. It's like on the highway, if you drive 55, you don't have to worry about getting a ticket so there is no need for buying a radar detector. If you eat low carb, you will control your blood glucose so you won't have to worry about it being too high or triggering insulin making it crash too low.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:26 PM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks. So, I shouldn't get a meter? I'm so confused...
Yes. Get a meter. Tell your mom that either your doctor gives you one or she orders you one or you are going to have a hissy fit.

If you still need guidance on how to use it and what the results mean, then ask another question here.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:56 PM   #53
Junior LCF Member

So, I have to wait for the doctor to give me one? And my doctor said that "she'll see", but she never said anything, because of the nurse calling me. I thought that I should have one, just because I have hypo. If she doesn't think I need one, should we buy it? (meaning my dad)

I'm thinking a One-Touch Contour. I had an offer for a free one that got emailed to me, but I can't find it anymore.

And yes, I need guidance. I have no idea how to use it at all. All suggestions/comments/advice is definitely welcome.

And cindy_cfids, maybe I should get one so I can just have one, just in case? Just always carry with me. I can never be too safe.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:11 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Of course, it wouldn't hurt to have one. I hope you have already started eating low carb. Do not wait til you have a meter to start. You can start that NOW.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:02 PM   #55
Junior LCF Member

I have, don't worry.

Do I need to talk to my doctor?
Old 03-06-2009, 12:48 PM   #56
Junior LCF Member

My mom informed me that I have type 2.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:52 PM   #57
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: angelo212
Glad you wrote and said something. I knew there was a problem and it wasn't potassium. The problem was the diagnosis was wrong because you ate before the blood test and didn't fast. Glad your finally going to feel better.
angelo212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:18 PM   #58
Junior LCF Member

You're welcome. Thank you for everything, any suggestions? I just ordered my ID tag, I'm slowly on working on getting a meter (finally)...but very iffy about becoming insulin dependent.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:12 PM   #59
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: angelo212
You can't be iffy about needing insulin. If you need it then you need it. You don't want to play around with your sugar levels.
angelo212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:46 PM   #60
Junior LCF Member

so, you're saying i need it? that i should be dependent?