Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   General Health/Medical Issues (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/)
-   -   Metformin and nausea/diarrhea/cramps (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/541293-metformin-nausea-diarrhea-cramps.html)

WildflowerMama 02-10-2008 07:32 PM

Metformin and nausea/diarrhea/cramps

Hi all!

I need some help for my dad. He's diabetic and on Metformin. He's been on it for quite a while - almost 2 years I believe. He has the worst time with diarrhea and cramping and nausea while on this medicine. I know it's a common side effect that is supposed to subside with time but for him, it's not subsided. He feels miserable pretty much all the time.

Does anyone know of anything that might help him? I'm trying to get him to eat full fat, plain yogurt every day to see if the probiotics will help settle his tummy down but other than that, I'm at a loss.

His appetite is terrible, nothing ever sounds good to him and he's just miserable all the time.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

pri17cess72 02-10-2008 09:45 PM

Hi Wildflower. I just started taking this medication for PCOS not diabetes, however I noticed that if I take the medicine in the middle of a meal I dont have any side effects. I am not sure if you Dad has tried that yet, but wanted to share my experience to see if it might help.

I will be thinking of your Dad and hope he finds a solution.

shmabby 02-11-2008 04:27 AM

no advice here just my personal experience

while many people apparently don't have those side affects with metformin, i did. As long as i took it, which was for around a year, it ripped my innards to pieces.

one of my joys of lcing is no longer having to take metformin, i'm amazed when people tell me it doesn't bother them.

dreamerdee 02-12-2008 09:25 AM

I had your dad's problems with Metformin for a while, and it did get better. My doctor offered to prescrible the time release version telling me it was gentler on digestion, but by then I was pretty much better. If your dad is not on the time released kind, maybe he should ask for it.

LeanLioness 02-12-2008 08:37 PM

Yes, I was going to suggest the ER (extended release) or a lower dosage....

Also, taking at the middle or the end of a meal helps a LOT............

Sleepy 02-13-2008 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmabby (Post 9925917)
it ripped my innards to pieces.

me too. i just had to stop taking it cuz it never got better :down:

texasrebel 02-13-2008 11:45 AM

I took mine at night right before bed so I didn't really notice and side effects. However, after a couple of weeks my body regulated and now it doesn't cause any problems. I would however have him look into the extended release, as several people have suggested. My doctor said if I was bothered by the side effects then she would prescribe the extended release to help with it. I hope he finds something that will work.

WildflowerMama 02-16-2008 06:55 AM

Thank you guys! He is on the extended release. I've talked to him about taking it with food - he's been taking it before meals, so hopefully that will help. It's just so sad :( He feels miserable all the time.

LeanLioness 02-16-2008 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildflowerMama (Post 9948669)
Thank you guys! He is on the extended release. I've talked to him about taking it with food - he's been taking it before meals, so hopefully that will help. It's just so sad :( He feels miserable all the time.

I take mine when I have a couple of bites of food left...........the last couple of bites helps to "wash it down".............

Jim_1970 02-23-2008 07:20 AM

Metformin.....oh metformin, I took this medicine for about 2 years. I really hate this medicine. Let's see... i could never stay regular, caused me to stay bloated all the time, and made my ankles and feet swell. I took it once in the morning and at bedtime. I quit taking it after starting Atkins and I feel so much better. I have just eliminated cards and sugars and my blood sugar numbers are normal. Also, went to my doctor yesterday and my A1c was 5.9%. Which is non-diabetic. Also, my total cholesterol was 104 with LDL being 54. But anyway, I am not a fan of Metformin but I really don't know what to tell you to do about it, I guess if I had to do it a all over again, I would talk to my doctor and tell him I wanted to try type of medicine for for blood sugar. I did try Januvia, which is new on the market, but it broke me out into hives around my midsection. He may want to try it.

JMS1 03-02-2008 10:07 AM

Hi, I'm new to this thread. I've been on metformin for the past 4 years and it still affects me. My last visit to the doctors my A1C was 5.6% but I have a problem with the pre-dawn phenomona. I can go to bed with a 102 reading and wake up with a 111-112 reading if I don't take the metformin and glyburide 1.25 grams. Does anyone know about this? Should I continue taking the meds before bedtime or let all average out?
Juanita

pepperette 03-02-2008 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleepy (Post 9936260)
me too. i just had to stop taking it cuz it never got better :down:

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Same here- and the daily pain increased in intensity and length of time in pain every day![/COLOR]

JMS1 03-02-2008 10:17 AM

:)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMS1 (Post 10012319)
Hi, I'm new to this thread. I've been on metformin for the past 4 years and it still affects me. My last visit to the doctors my A1C was 5.6% but I have a problem with the pre-dawn phenomona. I can go to bed with a 102 reading and wake up with a 111-112 reading if I don't take the metformin and glyburide 1.25 grams. Does anyone know about this? Should I continue taking the meds before bedtime or let all average out?
Juanita

It does help to take it before bedtime with a bite to eat. As a matter of fact, it does keep me regulated.

pri17cess72 03-02-2008 10:22 AM

Hi WildflowerMama!

Just following up to see how your Dad is. Please let us know.

Thanks!

anneRN 12-16-2008 07:46 PM

Metformin (Glucopahage)

Hey everyone and Wildflower,

I have been taking Metformin XL since May 2008 and I had such bad intestinal issues, that I told the doctor I didn't want to take it because it was affecting my work. She lowered my dose and the problem went away. I know that it had nothing to do with taking with food or not because I tried to do that. I would always take it in the morning with food but by 12:00, I would have all of the issues. That was when the medication was peaking. This was whether I was eating lunch around that time, or even if I skipped lunch. The lower dose solved that issue, but if I stop taking it for several days and then resume it, it happens all over again until I get used to it. Some people just react this way. I consider this a very adverse side effect for me if it impacts my life and I don't think patients should have to endure this, they should talk with the Dr.

ardawn 12-17-2008 07:16 PM

I take mine about 3/4 of the way through dinner. I am on 750mg of the ER. I do get stomach cramps,but I rarely have any other symptoms unless it's time for TOM.

Dooditsglory 01-03-2009 05:10 PM

Poor thing,i was on metformin for a while.
I find taking one dose in the morning then one at night works wonders.
Also staying away from very greasy carby or greasy food helps tons.
Have him drink lots of water as well and take it with food.I used to have dinner and eat my whole entire dinner before i took it.
I hope he feels better!

HezzieLee 01-14-2009 02:10 PM

I'm on 750mg extended release - I agree, take it in the middle of a meal and split the doses. One or two iffy days in the beginning, but nothing now.

oh, how miserable for him.... my sympathies!

Houston Heather 01-14-2009 03:03 PM

And I thought Lithium was bad!

:hugs: for everyone

Sleepy 05-23-2010 12:25 PM

i am on metformin er 750 mg once per day
i was on regular metformin before and lived on the bathroom floor for 2 weeks
this is not much better
4th day and i cannot function, get out of bed, very nauseous and have to be close to the bathroom
this is crap. i cannot live this way.
what other solution is there?

jessienevins0314 06-20-2010 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildflowerMama (Post 9925398)
Hi all!

I need some help for my dad. He's diabetic and on Metformin. He's been on it for quite a while - almost 2 years I believe. He has the worst time with diarrhea and cramping and nausea while on this medicine. I know it's a common side effect that is supposed to subside with time but for him, it's not subsided. He feels miserable pretty much all the time.

Does anyone know of anything that might help him? I'm trying to get him to eat full fat, plain yogurt every day to see if the probiotics will help settle his tummy down but other than that, I'm at a loss.

His appetite is terrible, nothing ever sounds good to him and he's just miserable all the time.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

idk what mg hes on or how often he takes it - i take it for PCOS - 1500mg daily. 1000mg in the morning, and 500 at night. The doctor is supposed to start out at a lower dose then let your stomach get used to it and gradually up it. idk if they can do that with diabetics or not, but metformin plus low carb = stomach problems!! my induction side effects are worse, but they do subside :) if he cant take it, ask doc to switch him to another medication.

floridagirl6 07-03-2010 07:20 PM

I have been on metformin for years and still get sick. I take it in the AM and right before bed. My dr. says I just have to put up with the nausea.

srh4jc 01-12-2013 09:31 AM

Hi! My name is Sue. I am "new" to this forum while searching for metformin side effects. I was trying to find "wildflower mama" so I can send her an email. She posted years ago about her dad being on Metformin and having nasty side effects but this is for anyone taking Metformin. I am on 500 mg twice a day for Hyperinsulinemia. I pray her dad has since gotten better but I wanted to tell her (and anyone else that might benefit) that taking probiotics and taking mine in the middle of a meal really helped reduce the cramping etc significantly! Specifically I used Culturelle and Phillips probiotics. If I take my metformin before a meal...yup..you guessed it! Side effects. But if I follow this regimen..great results of reduced effects!