Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2007, 04:13 AM   #211
The Basket Case

Gallery: Abbey32
Stats: 141 5'7"
WOE: Bloated mess
ACK!! I only have EVOO.

Where do you buy sesame oil that's not toasted?? And how much is it?

How is brushing with soap any better than let's say...Biotene? No SLS in that either.

And....will this help with periodontis disease? And can someone with braces do it?

Anyone?
Abbey32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2007, 11:29 AM   #212
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mama Crow
Stats: 181/143/140 ^^5'3
WOE: Not Sure WHAT Plan I'm On
Start Date: February 1, 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbey32 View Post
ACK!! I only have EVOO.

Where do you buy sesame oil that's not toasted?? And how much is it?

How is brushing with soap any better than let's say...Biotene? No SLS in that either.

And....will this help with periodontis disease? And can someone with braces do it?

Anyone?
You can buy the appropriate Sesame Oil at a good local health food store or online. My bottle was $8.95, and I cook with it too.

Never heard of Biotene ... so I don't know how to answer your question ... but I'll look into it.

And, most definitely YES ... OPing will help you with gum disease. My receding gumline has healed itself, and now my gums are pink and plump and healthy again.

I see no reason why someone with braces cannot Oil Pull ... it would be an excellent way of keeping your teeth clean and flushed.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:47 PM   #213
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Phoenix song
Stats: 303/236/170 5'8"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Rejoined in Jan 2014
I'm totally convinced that OPing is wonderful! I feel much better and my mouth feels much fresher! I even went to buy keto sticks just to make sure that I was still in ketosis! I had always judged it in the past by the taste in my mouth!

Barb
Phoenix song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:30 PM   #214
The Basket Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Crow View Post
You can buy the appropriate Sesame Oil at a good local health food store or online. My bottle was $8.95, and I cook with it too.

Never heard of Biotene ... so I don't know how to answer your question ... but I'll look into it.

And, most definitely YES ... OPing will help you with gum disease. My receding gumline has healed itself, and now my gums are pink and plump and healthy again.

I see no reason why someone with braces cannot Oil Pull ... it would be an excellent way of keeping your teeth clean and flushed.
Thanks. Biotene is just a SLS Free toothpaste. They have a mouthwash too. Since using them, I have not gotten one canker sore...when before I would get them all the time.

I tried it lastnight with the EVOO. I could only swish for about 3 minutes. LOL. It was pretty gross. But I will keep it up. I have to go to my dentist every 3 months for deep cleanings. I get a lot of plague buildup even when I floss religiously. She said it's my body chemistry.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:33 PM   #215
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: faemajik
I am gonna try with castor for healing, Ive got some real sensitive teeth issues

and I have to admit Ive been slackin on the OP daily
dunno why, just kinda slipped my mind
faemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 03:31 PM   #216
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ImCuterThinner
Stats: 16/14/6
WOE: low carbs
This thread fascinates me- I guess I'll have to try it and see for myself.
I wish someone would have had the guts to do before and after pics.
I sure don't
ImCuterThinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:12 PM   #217
The Basket Case

OMG, I bought some Dr. Bonner's liquid soap...the baby mild one tonight. I came home, put some drops into my hand and washed my face with it...sure it took off ALL my makeup, even the mascara BUT it burned the crap outta my eyes. Well, yep, right there on the bottle: DO NOT GET INTO EYES! My eyes are still dry and a little irritated. I also washed my body with it and I feel extra dry. How do you use this stuff?? Am I doing it all wrong? And can I brush my teeth with this one?

I also bought some jojoba oil....hope it helps. I plan on using it on my face and body. I did put some in my conditioner and my hair is greasy now. LOL. Maybe I used too much?
Old 02-16-2007, 03:31 AM   #218
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: faemajik
I would take pics but I tend to not do things on a daily basis~lol~ life gets in my way and I am easily distracted:blush:

as for the Dr Bonners soap
I love it to clean with, not my body or laundry
I always found it drying
I use it just to brush my teeth and clean

also a lil dab~l~do~ya with oils on hair. less than a pencil eraser, rubbed into palms and use fingertips to massage into scalp if dry OR if NOT dry, ends only
faemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:28 AM   #219
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JessieBear
Stats: (218) 192/150/150 5'6"
WOE: Wheat Free
Start Date: 12/28/12
Whiter teeth and healthy gums? I would pull motor oil if it helped keep my teeth healthy!

Sign me up. Will try this for the next month before my next Dentist Appt and see what he says about the condition of my gums!

I had my gums scraped in my mid-20s by an over-eager Dentist and would rather drive my car over my own foot than ever go through that again. It traumatized me.
JessieBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:28 PM   #220
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ItsNot2L8
WOE: Grains aren't food, grains are what food eats
I like the coconut oil, but having to take a few minutes to melt it on an already busy morning made me inconsistent. Tried olive oil but it wasn't EVOO , should have checked the label before I put it in my mouth. Couldn't find untoasted sesame oil locally, so ordered Udo's 3-6-9 blend, it's a blend of flax oil, sunflower oil, sesame oil, coconut oil, evening primrose oil, rice germ and bran oil, soy lecithin (GMO-free), oat germ and bran oil, and tocotrienols (those are in the vitamin E family), and is supposed to have a pleasant nutty flavor.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:06 AM   #221
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scottish steve
Start Date: Jan 1999
Hi Guys :-)
... still oil pulling with cold-pressed Sunflower and loving it . It's part of my daily routine now.
Breath better , teeth ( noticeably ) whiter and no sensitive teeth any more.
My lower front teeth look like I've been flossing them , which i haven't.
But...i now notice that when i do my twice daily 20 min pull that the back of my throat gets really dry. Maybe i just need to drink more water and this is somehow "exposing" de-hydration ?
Anyone else experience this ?
scottish steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:52 AM   #222
Senior LCF Member

Hi all,

Tried EVOO this weekend. That didn't last 5 minutes. LOL!!

I went out and found Virgin Cold Pressed Unprocessed Sunflower and Sesame (not toasted) oils at our local organic store. I like the Sunflower oil a lot! Sesame has a much stronger smell so I haven't tried it yet.

I am up to almost 15 minutes, 2 days now, and can already feel a difference in how clean my teeth feel.

Yay!!
Old 02-19-2007, 07:32 PM   #223
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Midnight Blue
WOE: Moderate carbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottish steve View Post
Hi Guys :-)
... still oil pulling with cold-pressed Sunflower and loving it . It's part of my daily routine now.
Breath better , teeth ( noticeably ) whiter and no sensitive teeth any more.
My lower front teeth look like I've been flossing them , which i haven't.
But...i now notice that when i do my twice daily 20 min pull that the back of my throat gets really dry. Maybe i just need to drink more water and this is somehow "exposing" de-hydration ?
Anyone else experience this ?

Yes! I find the dry throat very noticeable -- especially when I first wake up in the morning. It feels like the Sahara! I also was wondering if anybody else was experiencing this and what it means?

Also, I read that some people are using Ivory bar soap to brush their teeth with to allow for re-mineralization. Anyone using the Ivory (or any other regular bar soap) instead of buying the tooth soap?
Midnight Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:25 AM   #224
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LayMiz
Stats: 229/209/145; 5'4", 59yo
WOE: 4 #s on LC, rest on JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD Apr. 16, 2012
ACK! I Op'ed for 20 mins. last night with EVOO right before bedtime and could. not. get. to. sleep. AT. ALL! I had read here that some other oil caused this but didn't know EVOO would too. (It's all I have right now.) This tells me that OP'ing is a powerful (and natural) stimulant and that it really gets into the blood stream (good reason to use quality oil). This was my second time ever, the first was in the morning and I had a gagging problem. I'll keep trying with some sunflower oil and not before bedtime. I'm doing it for my gums and working toward a good report when I go to the dentist March 22.
LayMiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:20 AM   #225
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ImCuterThinner
Stats: 16/14/6
WOE: low carbs
I couldn't help thinking of oil pulling last night while watching Wife Swap.
The lady was kind of a nut and one of the things she did was to use butter as toothpaste.
They did a close up of her smile and it was gross
So I know brushing with butter and oil pulling are not the same but it did make me chuckle.
ImCuterThinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:24 AM   #226
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jennmc31
Stats: 216/150/120
WOE: atkins/low carb/gluten free
Start Date: January 4, 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCuterThinner View Post
I couldn't help thinking of oil pulling last night while watching Wife Swap.
The lady was kind of a nut and one of the things she did was to use butter as toothpaste.
They did a close up of her smile and it was gross
So I know brushing with butter and oil pulling are not the same but it did make me chuckle.
I thought the same thing. After she talked about her wonderful toothpaste they did a close up of her nasty teeth. She used butter and clay or something like that. Gross. I can't imagine brushing with butter.
jennmc31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:08 PM   #227
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Not that I'm a research junky or anything but I was curious, Googled, and in my reading came across a couple thoughts on why oil-pulling should be done on an empty stomach. I recalled seeing a few questions on the subject & thought someone might be interested...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper/kcmo
one, i think it is possible to pull good stuff out. i believe that is why we are to do it on an empty stomach.

two, it you are doing it on an empty stomach, then i agree with wombat. i think you pulled enough stuff out to get a detox/healing effect. i know when i go into healing mode, i get really tired, almost stuporous and sleep a lot.

i have pulled many times in a row and had no ill effects. i get a little light headed sometimes and have more energy, but thats it. not light headed as in passing out but light headed as in not so booged down or fogged out.
Andreas seemed to be respected as an authority on OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas
The mouth oil therapy is better done on a empty stomach to trigger the release of the maximum amount of the enzyme-containing saliva. These enzymes leach toxins and bacteria out of the blood and lymph fluids. When the stomach is full, the saliva secretions are minimal. Besides, keeping the oil may make you slightly nauseous, which is unlikely when doing this on an empty stomach.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:34 AM   #228
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mama Crow
Stats: 181/143/140 ^^5'3
WOE: Not Sure WHAT Plan I'm On
Start Date: February 1, 2007
Neat-O !!!!

Diamond Deb just quoted one of my personal friends, Trapper!!!!!

(Sorry ... it was just an unexpected - but nice - surprise.)
Mama Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:43 AM   #229
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: julielynn75
Stats: 198.2/147/135
WOE: atkins
Start Date: april2004/1-1-06/8-9-06sticking w/ it now!!
I've been pulling with seasme oil I bought from Meijer for abough 2 weeks now, I had pretty white teeth to begin with...people always compliment me on that, although I do suffer from the reseeding gum lines, my question is have any of you suffered from break outs? I broke out a little on my face, but my back has little acne like bumps all over it...I already suffer from that problem and use a medicated lotion, but I had it cleared up and now this! UGH!
TIA!
julielynn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:57 PM   #230
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pudgy7
Stats: 200/197/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 11-18-2011
I just started with the oil pulling, using evoo. I can't get over the way it is just lifting tartar off my teeth, especially my bottom teeth which are a bit crowded. It has also helped with the breath issue, I've only done it for 3 days so far, hoping it keeps up. God Bless.
pudgy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:03 PM   #231
Senior LCF Member

...just been reading good things about Ionic Tothbrushes and ordered one.
Anyone use one with good results ?
Steve
Old 02-23-2007, 01:05 PM   #232
Senior LCF Member

btw...that'll be a "toothbrush" and not a "tothbrush"

lol
Old 02-24-2007, 05:20 AM   #233
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
My 13 yr old daughter has started OP with me. And there has been no complaints or anything. She does it willingly. Amazing. Waiting to see if she thinks it brightens the teeth.
I am satisfied with my own results. Broke out of 6 week stall, by starting OP and drinking minimum 80 oz water.
iakaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:23 AM   #234
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: notsleepy
Stats: 238/223/150
Start Date: re-started 02/12/07
I started Oil Pulling yesterday after reading this entire thread. I'm using sunflower oil which I find has a nice light taste. I've had teeth problems my whole life. No matter how much I've brushed or flossed they were still in terrible shape. I have to say that the first thing I noticed is how fresh my mouth feels after ! It's wonderful. I usually brush all day just to keep my mouth feeling non-icky. After oil-pulling yesterday if felt clean all day, a small miracle for me. The other thing I've noticed after OP three times is that my teeth do seem whiter. To help out I took a "before" picture, a nice sharp close-up. In a month I'll post before and afters. I was surprised at how easy I found it to do, no gagging etc... To help pass time I just jump online and read at LCF's while pulling, the 20 minutes fly by.

Thank you SO much to those who came before me !!
Laura
notsleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:53 AM   #235
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Laura

I tried the sesame today.

Strange too as I love the smell!

I will just stick with the sunflower.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:11 PM   #236
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sandra Barnet
Stats: 170/130/130
WOE: Low carb. No grains.
Start Date: 2-15-07
I tried this today and was easy with coconut oil.
Sandra Barnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:29 PM   #237
Senior LCF Member

Hi Sandra,

Did you melt it first?
Old 03-07-2007, 06:35 PM   #238
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sandra Barnet
Stats: 170/130/130
WOE: Low carb. No grains.
Start Date: 2-15-07
nope it melted when I put it in my mouth.
Sandra Barnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:27 PM   #239
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Madbuffalo
This is quite a strange idea to me. Never heard of it before
Madbuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:45 AM   #240
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LayMiz
Stats: 229/209/145; 5'4", 59yo
WOE: 4 #s on LC, rest on JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD Apr. 16, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by notsleepy View Post
I started Oil Pulling yesterday after reading this entire thread. I'm using sunflower oil which I find has a nice light taste. I've had teeth problems my whole life. No matter how much I've brushed or flossed they were still in terrible shape. I have to say that the first thing I noticed is how fresh my mouth feels after ! It's wonderful. I usually brush all day just to keep my mouth feeling non-icky. After oil-pulling yesterday if felt clean all day, a small miracle for me. The other thing I've noticed after OP three times is that my teeth do seem whiter. To help out I took a "before" picture, a nice sharp close-up. In a month I'll post before and afters. I was surprised at how easy I found it to do, no gagging etc... To help pass time I just jump online and read at LCF's while pulling, the 20 minutes fly by.

Thank you SO much to those who came before me !!
Laura
You're gonna think I'm crazy but since someone on here or maybe at curezone discussed natural toothpaste as opposed to stuff like Crest, etc. I tried the Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap (not even the tooth soap, just the regular soap - $4 a bar) and my teeth never get fuzzy anymore. They feel so clean. The other day I ate tuna, then brushed and absolutely no fishy breath!!! Yep, you get a soapy taste, but it goes away real quick. It must be that it cuts down on growth of bacteria more than commercial soaps. I'm getting my teeth cleaned Mar. 22, and we'll see what they say about plaque buildup (I don't usually have a lot except on the edges of my crowns.)
LayMiz is offline   Reply With Quote