Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2007, 07:35 AM   #181
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SgtMomArmy
WOE: lc
10 days for me. There isn't anymore bleeding from my gums when I floss. DH says my teeth look whiter. I'm not sure how much of a difference that I've noticed in whiteness, but I still drink a lot of coffee. I like that my teeth are clean around the clock. There hasn't been anymore of the "hair on teeth, go brush your teeth" feeling.
SgtMomArmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2007, 08:24 AM   #182
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
You guys must be getting to me. Last night I had a DREAM about oil pulling, . . . and I've never done it before. I guess that must be a sign that I should try it
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 10:36 AM   #183
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ItsNot2L8
WOE: Grains aren't food, grains are what food eats
Quote:
Originally Posted by shars View Post
My dentist never suggested I even try such a thing, instead I went thru gum surgery.
I've never heard of oil pulling until now... I had gum grafts almost 4 years ago, and I'll tell you if I'd had any idea this would have helped prevent it I'd have been walking around all day long with a mouth full of oil. It was a horrible, brutal, nasty experience. I started swishing today for that reason alone, any other benefits will be icing on the cake
ItsNot2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 12:35 PM   #184

Gallery: catkin
Stats: Made Goal! 132 lbs.
WOE: hhcg
Yes, the soap tastes like soap I use VERY little, then rinse, rinse, rinse! I also follow up with a mint flavored, sugar free mouthwash (takes the soap taste away--it's called DENTEK) and I'm good to go! Also, try NOT to get any on your tongue--makes all the difference.

The clean slick feeling, sweet breath and lack of morning mouth, is, for me, worth it for a little soapy taste. Your mileage may vary!
catkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:02 AM   #185
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
OK for social appropriateness reasons I didn't oil pull this morning. Question - what is the opinion on pulling a couple of hours after a meal?
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:06 AM   #186
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kaymoe
Stats: 283/231/135
WOE: K/E, Kimmer
Start Date: 53.75lbs since 9/18/06 29.75lbs since 1/2/07
First Week - Update

Hi All!

Today marks the end of my first week OPing. My mouth feels great and my teeth are definitely whiter. My kids 9 & 11 are doing it now too without a complaint even! They've both remarked how much cleaner their mouths feel throughout the day. It works good for them because they sit down and do their reading first thing in the morning while they're swishing and then it's done for the day. I'm not catching whiffs of bad breath off my boy like I used to either. I've been doing VCO in the am and sunflower in the pm. I've also been using Angela's toothpaste in the morning and Dr. Bronner's the rest of the time. I had some work done on a molar about 5 years ago. The gumline has always been red since then. It wasn't infected or painful or anything and my dentist said to just pay special attention to it while brusing - didn't help. The redness there is now almost completely gone - amazing! Also, the plaque buildup on the backs of my front teeth is noticebly improved. With this progress, I expect it to be totally gone at some point. I can't wait for the backs of my teeth to feel as slick as the fronts! And I just LOVE the way my mouth feels all day! I don't have that keto-breath taste/feeling hardly at all, so I'm not so self conscious about my breath. And I know I'm still in ketosis - I've lost 3.5 this week.

My calcium supplement is very much like the one posted by Mama Crow, so I'm hoping to see some remineralization happening and maybe my crazing improving. I'll report back on that. Never occurred to me that while my intention was to remineralize my bones that it would benefit my teeth too!

I've shared this with a few friends and they are very eager to get started. My short term results have made me a believer and I'll definitely continue!

Happy Swishing!

[COLOR=Magenta]Self Control is knowing you can - but choosing not to...[/COLOR]

283/231/135

50 Pounds Gone! Woo Hoo!!

Kaymoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:46 AM   #187
Senior LCF Member

Oops! I forgot tell you this: My kids prefer 20 minutes with the oil to 30 seconds with listerine!
Old 02-11-2007, 04:03 PM   #188
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: annabird
Day #3 for me. My mouth and teeth feel so much cleaner. It's not bad to do. Not sure if I notice any difference in my teeth being whiter - which is the main reason I am doing it. I'll keep swishing away...
annabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:47 PM   #189
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: itsmeshelly1
Stats: 260/152/150
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: Sep 2006
well i bought some sunflower oil today at the health food store...cant wait to try this this evening...im going to do it in teh morning and evening...i also bought some evco and i dont know if ill be using that for oil pulling...it is way to expensive...ill be eating about 3T a day of the evco and using the sunflower oil for the oil pulling twice a day...i may buy some sesame oil soon too to switch it up...the sunflower oil was very inexpensive so i like that...ill keep everyone posted on if it works on it...i hope so...i have some plaque and i couldnt definitley use my teeth getting whiter!!!

Maintaining at 150lbs for about a year now!!!!
woohoo!!!!!
[/COLOR]
itsmeshelly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 01:12 AM   #190
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mama Crow
Stats: 181/143/140 ^^5'3
WOE: Not Sure WHAT Plan I'm On
Start Date: February 1, 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaymoe View Post
Hi All!

Today marks the end of my first week OPing. My mouth feels great and my teeth are definitely whiter. My kids 9 & 11 are doing it now too without a complaint even! They've both remarked how much cleaner their mouths feel throughout the day. It works good for them because they sit down and do their reading first thing in the morning while they're swishing and then it's done for the day. I'm not catching whiffs of bad breath off my boy like I used to either. I've been doing VCO in the am and sunflower in the pm. I've also been using Angela's toothpaste in the morning and Dr. Bronner's the rest of the time. I had some work done on a molar about 5 years ago. The gumline has always been red since then. It wasn't infected or painful or anything and my dentist said to just pay special attention to it while brusing - didn't help. The redness there is now almost completely gone - amazing! Also, the plaque buildup on the backs of my front teeth is noticebly improved. With this progress, I expect it to be totally gone at some point. I can't wait for the backs of my teeth to feel as slick as the fronts! And I just LOVE the way my mouth feels all day! I don't have that keto-breath taste/feeling hardly at all, so I'm not so self conscious about my breath. And I know I'm still in ketosis - I've lost 3.5 this week.

My calcium supplement is very much like the one posted by Mama Crow, so I'm hoping to see some remineralization happening and maybe my crazing improving. I'll report back on that. Never occurred to me that while my intention was to remineralize my bones that it would benefit my teeth too!

I've shared this with a few friends and they are very eager to get started. My short term results have made me a believer and I'll definitely continue!

Happy Swishing!
This post thrills me to death!!!

I can't get my girls to even try it!!!

They gag and roll their eyes and sputter at me ... way to go, Kaymoe!!! WAY TO GO!!!

Please keep us posted!!!

BTW, I've noticed more facial break-outs since I switched oils. HMMMMMMMM .... wonder if it is helping to pull more toxins out through my skin? I'm noticing that though the blemishes are popping out more frequently, they are also healing much MUCH quicker than normal .... weird, huh?
Mama Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:36 AM   #191
Senior LCF Member

Question: Is it necessary to pull on a empty stomach?

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2007, 05:54 AM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabird View Post
Question: Is it necessary to pull on a empty stomach?

Thanks!

Someone thought that the reason may be because of people gagging. Sorry--gross.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:55 AM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaymoe View Post
Hi All!

Happy Swishing!
That's so cool!
Old 02-12-2007, 06:15 AM   #194
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Crow View Post
This post thrills me to death!!!

I can't get my girls to even try it!!!

They gag and roll their eyes and sputter at me ... way to go, Kaymoe!!! WAY TO GO!!!

Please keep us posted!!!

BTW, I've noticed more facial break-outs since I switched oils. HMMMMMMMM .... wonder if it is helping to pull more toxins out through my skin? I'm noticing that though the blemishes are popping out more frequently, they are also healing much MUCH quicker than normal .... weird, huh?
Thanks MamaCrow - I'm pretty excited about all of this.

I have definitely noticed more breakouts in just this week - ugh! TOM is on my doorstep, but this is above and beyond normal TOM issues. At this point I'm chalking it up to detox, but I hope it remedies itself soon. I'm too old for this!!!!
Old 02-12-2007, 07:47 AM   #195
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: msmcd
Stats: 235/235/145
WOE: Atkins
I'm going to try this but was wondering do you all brush your teeth afterwards or just rinse with water??
msmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:12 AM   #196
Senior LCF Member

I just rinse with water... that's it fr me. I still brush in the am and pm (am - before I pull and pm - after I pull).
Old 02-12-2007, 09:07 AM   #197
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
anna - you brush your teeth before pulling? Doesn't the toothpaste make the oil nastier?
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:10 AM   #198
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: glamazon
Stats: 290/279/195 ** 6'2
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 5/25/2014
I rinse first, and then brush after, with my homemade toothpaste and my mouth feels CLEAN and wonderful all day.

Mama Crow, when I switched from olive oil to sesame oil, I had a small break out, but it went away just as fast. I think it is the different oil pulling the toxins better. Just my opinion.

Last edited by glamazon; 02-12-2007 at 09:12 AM..
glamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:53 PM   #199
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Midnight Blue
WOE: Moderate carbs
This is so interesting -- I am definitely going to try it.
Midnight Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:15 PM   #200
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cedar_03
Stats: Start - 340/ \1st goal - 330
WOE: I eat food
>BTW, I've noticed more facial break-outs since I switched oils. HMMMMMMMM .... wonder if it is helping to pull more toxins out through my skin? I'm noticing that though the blemishes are popping out more frequently,<

Years ago I was an esthetician. I'm guessing that the oil pulling provides a workout to your facial muscles, so that they are recieving more blood flow. The enhanced bloodflow would cause your skin to try harder to expel the yuckies that it can store. That is one of the points of a facial massage, is to increase bloodflow to the skin. This *may* be part of the gum health too, as it is increasing the bloodflow to your gums for 20 minutes a day. I don't know enough about that to say though.

Cedar

Cedar
Cedar_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:35 PM   #201
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: itsmeshelly1
Stats: 260/152/150
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: Sep 2006
day 2 of oil pulling for me...i am loving how clean it makes my mouth feel...i am definitely sticking with the sunflower oil for now...i tried it with the coconut oil and jsut about got sick...for some reason the taste of the coco oil by itself is just gross...i cant take it...so sunflower until i get some sesame...does the sesame taste different than the sunflower? i dont mind the taste of it but if its different it might be a nice change...have any of u used grapeseed oil for oil pulling? i know its very good for the skin and was wondering how it tasted....

good luck oil pulling everyone!!!
itsmeshelly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:23 AM   #202
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: faemajik
I pulll in the am with safflower and at night with sesame

breakouts are lots more here too, even neck area where I never broke out before

* like back of neck*
faemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:42 PM   #203
Big Yapper!!!!

Hi fellow oil pullers

I did this last night with olive oil and went to the store today to get virgin sesame oil. I am swishing it around as I type. I so hope this makes my teeth whiter as well as helping my breath and gums!
Old 02-13-2007, 10:19 PM   #204
Big Yapper!!!!

Amazing. The coating on my tongue is practically GONE after just two times of oil pulling. I am seriously impressed. I'm not quite sure if my teeth are any whiter, but I am thrilled with the fact that my tongue looks so much better.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:52 AM   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
Amazing. The coating on my tongue is practically GONE after just two times of oil pulling. I am seriously impressed. I'm not quite sure if my teeth are any whiter, but I am thrilled with the fact that my tongue looks so much better.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:01 AM   #206
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: JONAH'S GRANNY
Stats: Way too much/115 lbs.
WOE: Low Calorie
Start Date: 01/03/2008/Originally 2003
I've tried it three times. Does anyone not have problems with their mouth getting too full of saliva? I feel like my mouth is going to pop.
JONAH'S GRANNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:09 AM   #207
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Yes I can't go very long because of the salivation.

Don't EVEN ask what a trip to the dentist is like for me...
paulabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:40 PM   #208
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jennmc31
Stats: 216/150/120
WOE: atkins/low carb/gluten free
Start Date: January 4, 2007
Just marking it
jennmc31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:04 PM   #209
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: am2106
Stats: 211/200/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/8/07
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONAH'S GRANNY View Post
I've tried it three times. Does anyone not have problems with their mouth getting too full of saliva? I feel like my mouth is going to pop.
I know what you mean! With me, though, it's too much air getting in. The first day I tried to "vent" a little - oil all over the place, not a good idea! But it's been better after that.
am2106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:56 PM   #210
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: faemajik
tip your head back a smidge, guppylips and allow some air to escape
faemajik is offline   Reply With Quote