Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2007, 06:36 AM   #151
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Phoenix song
Stats: 303/236/170 5'8"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Rejoined in Jan 2014
I did my 2nd OP this morning. Even easier than yesterday! I'm really shocked at how clean my teeth feel! It's amazing!

I'm one of those people that would try every new dental product around because despite brushing about 5 times a day I am constantly worried about how clean my teeth and breath are. (Which made the Ketosis breath a bit of a problem for me.) I'm just so thrilled with this that I can't see ever NOT taking some time out of every morning to do this.

Barb
Phoenix song is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2007, 06:51 AM   #152
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shars
Stats: 142/132/123
Start Date: Restart 05/26/10
DEBI IN OHIO

My dentist never suggested I even try such a thing, instead I went thru gum surgery. I know he needs to stay in business, but it irritates me to think, I could quite possibly avoided all of that!!!
shars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 06:52 AM   #153
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
OK, thought I'd join in. I've just started (2 days), and am doing about a teaspoon at night when I take my shower (10 minutes?). EVOO. My jaws don't align well, so I'm not going to rush upping the length of time (can't chew gum, eat jerkey, etc).

I have pretty good teeth (no cavities for the past 25 years), but my gums have started to move a bit I was told.
paulabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:00 AM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: annabird
Okay - I am in, too! I tried it this morning with Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I made it only 15 minutes. It didn't taste so bad. My mouth/ face just got tired.

Will do again tonight. I smoked for 15 years and drink coffee so I am doing this to help lighten the color of my teeth. Any other benefits will be a bonus!
annabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:14 AM   #155
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mermaid
Stats: 244/145 (highest weight ever 293)
WOE: HCG homeopathic Atkins/fat fast
Start Date: restart 12/24/13
Did the oil pulling last night with grapeseed oil and it was very easy except for my husband tried to talk to me a couple of times. I'll do it again this morning with olive oil.

About that cheap LuAnn coconut oil. On another thread about coconut oil, someone researched it and said that it was chemically extracted with hexane, heated, and deodorized, and some other nasty things. Sounds like it's only fit for wheel grease to me.

I would not do the oil pulling with coconut oil anyway on a regular basis just because of the expense. I'm sure I'll try it though. Mostly I'll do it with olive oil probably so it will be affordable.

About toothpaste. No way can I brush either with soap or baking soda without gagging (even though the oil pulling didn't cause that reaction). For several years we have made our own mouthwash with food grade hydrogen peroxide, grapefuit seed extract, and mint oil. You can also add xylitol, as it is antibacterial but sweet. We just rinse with that and brush while some of it is still in the mouth. Works great. You can get food grade peroxide by special order in most health food stores, or also online. It also has other uses, such as perking up plants, whitening clothes, and rinsing veggies. A quart of it should last years.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:54 AM   #156
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: WildflowerMama
Stats: 185.5/143.2/revised to 140
Start Date: Nov 2006
Ok, this is much better! I used coconut oil this morning and for me it was so much easier than EVOO. But, I don't recommend doing it the shower. I thought I could do it but when you're only breathing through your nose, if you get a bit of water around your nose, at least for me, it caused a bit of a panic reacting and I spit out the oil involuntarily. I did get about 10 minutes in though.
WildflowerMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:05 AM   #157
Senior LCF Member

I bought the coconut oil, and will try it today, as I did not care for the olive oil. I also bought Dr. Bronner's 18-1 Hemp Castille Soap. It's a liquid in a bottle. Is this the stuff to brush my teeth with? Doesn't mention for your teeth, but does mention you can use it on your car! It has alot of organic oils. I did brush once so far, felt fresh breath, but also left a soap taste in my mouth. Any thoughts??

Last edited by shars; 02-08-2007 at 10:20 AM..
Old 02-08-2007, 10:14 AM   #158
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: WildflowerMama
Stats: 185.5/143.2/revised to 140
Start Date: Nov 2006
Shars - I've only ever used essential oil bar soap so I can't speak to liquid soap. I don't know anyone whose ever used liquid soap for tooth brushing - only bar soap so I can't tell you if it will work or not or if there is any reason you couldn't use it.

Hopefully someone will come along with more info.
WildflowerMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:17 AM   #159
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: faemajik
I would not expel coconut oil down the drain or toilet
it does solidify again and it will reak havoc on drain lines( heaven forbids if you have septic)

I dont spit any oil down the drain, it goes in the garbage
faemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:21 AM   #160
Senior LCF Member

OK, went to the drbronner's site and read this:

"For toothbrushing, apply a drop or two of Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soap (I prefer the peppermint) to a wet toothbrush. Brush as you normally would, rinsing accordingly. Be careful about using more than a couple drops of soap, as you might start foaming at the mouth (last time I checked "rabid chic" was not hip). Many people with sensitive or softer teeth like to use our soap as toothpaste because it lacks abrasives."
(Mine is Peppermint)
Old 02-08-2007, 10:37 AM   #161
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: glamazon
Stats: 283/276.6/180 ** 6'2
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 9/4/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by catkin View Post
Some believe that sesame and sunflower were plentiful where OP originated and that's why they're listed so often. Make sense?
Yes, but the studies done by Dr. Karach were modern and used a variety of oils... and the only ones they deemed worth it were sesame and sunflower.

from www.oilpulling.com :

"NOTE: The recommended oils to use are Sunflower Oil, Seasme Oil. We are receiving many emails about which oil to use. Our experience with thousands of people across the globe says USE COLD PRESSED OIL as first choice, if it is not available use REFINED OIL ( which seems to be effective in the process too). We have observed that any oil other than SUNFLOWER or SEASAME may not be effective."

also:

"Sunflower and Sesame oil have been found to be equally effective in curing diseases. Other oils were not found to be as good. Do not blame oil pulling by practicing with other oils. Use refined oils."

I'm not discounting that other oils have worked well, and I certainly don't believe everything on the internet is true just because it's there... but I do like to have a little scientific back up and it seems that sesame and sunflower do. 20 minutes of swishing is a long time to waste if I'm not getting the maximum benefits available.

I'll be sticking to sesame and sunflower, but I am very interested to hear from others who use different oils long term.

By the way, today was my first day with sesame oil and my teeth seemed noticeably brighter over using the olive oil. WOW!

Flabazon to Glamazon
Photos of My Low Carb Meals
glamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:40 AM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mama Crow
Stats: 181/143/140 ^^5'3
WOE: Not Sure WHAT Plan I'm On
Start Date: February 1, 2007
Someone was concerned about the price of Coconut Oil in an above post ... I think I recall $25 at their local health food store.

Wow! That is a bit pricey .. unless it was a larger quantity.

Anyway, I use NOW (the orange label) brand ... you know, in the vitamin supplement section ... the price is not bad at all. I can get a pint for $6.

Of course, I have my eye on a gallon container ... have to budget that one in my grocery money ... it's $80 ... but it'd last forever (even with using it for cooking and massaging the body!!!
Old 02-08-2007, 10:43 AM   #163
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mama Crow
Stats: 181/143/140 ^^5'3
WOE: Not Sure WHAT Plan I'm On
Start Date: February 1, 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamazon View Post
By the way, today was my first day with sesame oil and my teeth seemed noticeably brighter over using the olive oil. WOW!

Some have reported their teeth turning "yellowish" again after long-term use of olive oil ... hmmmmm.

I think it's important to mix & match your oils ... use sesame, sunflower, olive oil, and CO (for instance) and alternate them.

That way you are still receiving the benefits each of those oils offer.
Mama Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:32 PM   #164
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
I'm also trying this. First day I just brushed my teeth with the oil & rinsed, but I did see a whitening in my teeth. 2nd & 3rd day I swished olive oil for 10 minutes. I drink a lot of coffee & have never had real white teeth. I like the feeling of this much better then the strips.
DebbyL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:16 PM   #165
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: glamazon
Stats: 283/276.6/180 ** 6'2
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 9/4/2012
Anyone willing to take before and after pictures? Too late for me to do it.
glamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:12 AM   #166
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: am2106
Stats: 211/200/130
Start Date: 1/8/07
I don't know if this is coincidence or placebo effect, but yesterday was my 2nd day trying this using olive oil. Like some reported, the color of the oil was a pale yellow - rather disgusting color and enough to cause a gag reflex even though I'd done fine during the actual oil pulling. The second day I shut my eyes while I spit

Anyway, usually I am falling asleep around 10:00 and therefore have no problem getting to sleep if I go to bed later than that. I usually hit snooze 3-4 times and actually get up between 6-7 am. Last night, I couldn't/didn't fall asleep until 11:30 and was sure I'd be struggling to wake up this morning. 5:45 am I was out of bed! No one here knows me well enough to know that this is an extremely rare occurance!

Also, last night I bought some almond oil. I couldn't find any sunflower or sesame oil that wasn't toasted and I figured that the almond oil would at least taste better than olive oil. It's pretty much the same except lighter and with a bit of sweetness to it. Anyway, when I was done today, the color was white as it's supposed to be!

I just find it interesting - I'm more doing this for the teeth whitening because I can't stand the strips, either. Can't stand having anything on my teeth for that long, and I wasn't convinced that the bleaching action was not bad for my teeth which aren't in great condition to begin with.

I'm going to keep doing this if only for the whitening and the newfound ability to wake up on time!

Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
am2106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:53 AM   #167
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/199.6/135 (19-Apr)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Sitting here *swishing* - gonna make the full 20 minutes. It keeps giving me an urge to cough.

Am going to buy more oil this weekend - I'd really like to benefit from the whiter teeth and hope that olive oil doesn't make it more yellow. I'll find sesame and maybe balance with coconut oil.
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:49 AM   #168
Senior LCF Member

Found the coconut oil so much BETTER than the olive oil. Didn't even feel the need to rinse my mouth out after the coconut oil.

(am2106-Coincidence-I was up at 5am, usually wake at 5:45)
Old 02-09-2007, 05:51 AM   #169
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: catkin
Stats: Made Goal! 132 lbs.
WOE: hhcg
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauntlen View Post
Where do you buy Dr. Bonner's bar soap?
Dr. Bronner's is sold at most health food stores--more probably at privately owned rather than a GNC, I think!

Google Dr. Bronner's
catkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:55 AM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildflowerMama View Post
I tried this last night with EVOO. I'm a gagger so I expected it to be tough. It was tough but not as bad as I envisioned. I only made it 7 minutes. But, I think a lot had to do with the fact that my jaw started hurting and I don't care for the taste of straight up olive oil. I'm going to get some sunflower today and try that - it's a much lighter oil.

I will say that I do have that morning breath taste like always. But, like I said, I only did the oil 7 minutes, brushed with soap and rinsed with mouthwash.

One interesting side effect is that I didn't get anything out when I flossed! I usually brush, floss, rinse. And when I normally floss after brushing, there still particles the toothbrush didn't get. But, with the oil pull, there was nothing at all - my teeth were completely clean.

I floss, rinse then brush with Dr. B's before bedtime and have had no morning mouth! Incredible, I tell ya.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:47 AM   #171
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jax93
Stats: 152/129/119
WOE: VLC/ZC
I got some of the toothsoap, $$ but I think it lasts awhile. And it didn't taste soapy or have a real strong taste which is good. I got the liquid (have a child with sensory issues) & only use 2 drops, seems to clean really well. And my teeth definately still felt clean in the morning.

Still doing the oil pulling with EVOO, need to get to a bigger town to get a different oil-I'd like to try the sunflower. I am only doing about 10 mins once a day but I have to say that I seem to need about 1hr less sleep a day. When I'm strict about my food, I sleep 9pm-5am, very soundly. It's been taking me awhile longer to fall asleep the last 2 nights & I don't feel as tired, like I could still stay up.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:16 AM   #172
Senior LCF Member

Day 2 for me. I did it 2 times yesterday and again this morning with EVOO - for about 10 minutes. I think my teeth look whiter. Otherwise, I don't notice anything else yet. I am going to try and get some Sun Flower or Seasame Oil and try that this weekend.

[COLOR="Red"]How long (if at all) do you all wait to eat or drink anything?[/COLOR] I need my coffee in the am so I am drinking coffee within 10-15 minutes after I have stopped the oil swishing. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 02-09-2007, 11:58 AM   #173
Senior LCF Member

I drink my coffee first, and then use coconut oil, about 15 mins. after. I gotta get that coffee in! I hope that will take away potential staining.

I also started flossing, dipping it into the coconut oil, figure it can't hurt. I don't feel the need to rinse after like I did with the EVOO.

Last edited by shars; 02-09-2007 at 12:00 PM..
Old 02-09-2007, 12:05 PM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix song View Post
I did my 2nd OP this morning. Even easier than yesterday! I'm really shocked at how clean my teeth feel! It's amazing!

I'm one of those people that would try every new dental product around because despite brushing about 5 times a day I am constantly worried about how clean my teeth and breath are. (Which made the Ketosis breath a bit of a problem for me.) I'm just so thrilled with this that I can't see ever NOT taking some time out of every morning to do this.

Barb
Next thing you know, you'll be brushing your teeth with soap
Old 02-09-2007, 12:09 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by shars View Post
OK, went to the drbronner's site and read this:

"For toothbrushing, apply a drop or two of Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soap (I prefer the peppermint) to a wet toothbrush. Brush as you normally would, rinsing accordingly. Be careful about using more than a couple drops of soap, as you might start foaming at the mouth (last time I checked "rabid chic" was not hip). Many people with sensitive or softer teeth like to use our soap as toothpaste because it lacks abrasives."
(Mine is Peppermint)
Yes--a LITTLE dab'll do ya
Old 02-09-2007, 02:30 PM   #176
Senior LCF Member

catkin

I've used the liquid soap a few times now. I do love how it really lathers up. I can feel the peppermint...BUT it leaves me with a soap taste, a bit irritating to the throat. I wish it didn't do that. I think I will use it for other uses, than brushing my teeth.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:57 PM   #177
Big Yapper!!!!

Stats: 150~Maintaining since 2004
Start Date: January 2003
I didn't like the way my coffee tasted after brushing with the Dr. Bronners. So I just mixed a couple drops of peppermint extract into some baking soda and keep that handy for brushing.
Island of Bluebells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:46 PM   #178
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: itsmeshelly1
Stats: 260/152/150
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: Sep 2006
i have been following this thread and have decided to try the oil pulling...i have coconut oil from walmart...the louanns but i dont think im goign to use that one after reading what i have read about it...im goign to go to the health food store this weekend and get some sunflower and sesame...i hope this helps to whiten my teeth some...they are very stained from smoking and drinking coffee and from not taking good care of my teeth when i was younger...im interrested in this dr bronners soap too..i may pick up some of that at the health food store too...im loving this thread and hearing about everyones progress...keep it going so we can continue to see how this is working for everyone.

Maintaining at 150lbs for about a year now!!!!
woohoo!!!!!
[/COLOR]
itsmeshelly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:14 AM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Update: Tried it with Seasame last night and I thought it was much better than with EVOO.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:25 AM   #180
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/199.6/135 (19-Apr)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Day 3 - the plaque on back of bottom front teeth seems diminished. I'm going to go get coconut oil so I don't have to use my super expensive EVOO. I'm really picky about mine and have a friend bring a bottle from France whenever I see her - probably a couple of times a year. Plus, been thinking about the comments that EVOO might cause yellowing.
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote