Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2007, 01:41 PM   #61
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: nurseypoo5
Stats: 262/233/165
WOE: Low carb, Atkins, more H2O
Start Date: Restart 7/3/14
ok..so has anyone done this and then stopped and all your old problems reverted back to the way it was before or did the whitening effect and healthy gums stay that way?
nurseypoo5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2007, 02:59 PM   #62
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
This thread is interesting. Keep posting, so we can keep up with how it is going. May get brave enough to try it yet......
iakaren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:15 PM   #63
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: faemajik
OK I wanna know who, what, where,when, why etc

I am gonna try this in the am with EVOO
faemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:53 PM   #64
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: catkin
Stats: Made Goal! 132 lbs.
WOE: hhcg
Go Kay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaymoe View Post
I stumbled upon this thread last night and was very intrigued. I tried OPing for the first time this morning. I used EVOO because that was all I had that was edible. I have lots of cosmetic grade oils, but I'm not going to put those in my mouth!

First off, a TBSP was a bit too much volume for me. I'll try less tomorrow. Even after a solid 22 minutes of pulling, it was still yellow. I was surprised at how foamy it was though. It didn't feel like that in my mouth. I really didn't have any gag issues with it, although I did taste it a few times which lead me to believe that it was getting too far back in my mouth towards my throat. It is definitely a facial workout! The time went pretty quickly - I just sat down to read my threads and emails and it was over in no time.

I was absolutely floored when I spit it out and my mouth didn't feel like an oil slick! That was exactly what I expected. I rinsed a few times afterwards and my mouth felt really clean. I didn't brush or anything first. I waited until afterward. I have the unconscious habit of resting my tongue against the back of my teeth, so I get a plaque buildup there. I'm interested to see if this helps to resolve that.

All in all, not bad. I'll do it for awhile to see if I get some benefit out of it. I'll try to get some of the recommended oil soon, too. The EVOO is pretty heavily colored, so maybe that was why mine wasn't completely white when I was done. I'm definitely going to get some Dr. Bronner's to try. Anything to keep the keto-breath at bay!

Will post as I go along! HTH!
I got the tea tree bar. Yes, it tastes soapy but I try not to get it on my tongue
catkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:56 PM   #65

Gallery: fawn
Angela
I would love your recipe! Would you mind sharing?
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:01 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island of Bluebells View Post
My gums are pretty good for my age. Last visit the dentist told me I had the gums of a 20-year-old. (I thought, why couldn't it be my breasts? )I think they do look better though.

Dr. Bronners? Oh yeah! DD calls it "the Manson family, soap-making in the desert." I have that in the house, for showers and I add the liquid to mop water for a fresh scent. Peppermint or Lavender. I have tried it for tooth-brushing a few years ago, pretty soapy taste but I can handle it for the benefits. Thank you, catkin!
I'm sure it'll get better and better!

I remember years ago when I worked in a supermarket (small fishing town). In the Winter, from time to time we'd lose power for a day or two. The store had generators, so we stayed open.
It was always amazing the people that came out of the woodwork to buy batteries, water, etc., when the electricity went out! We were just SURE they were Manson Family members. We didn't recognize ONE of them but there they were every time...

I have Dr. B's almond soap, too. It smells great! I'll have to check out the lavender scent, too. And, you're welcome!
Old 02-05-2007, 07:02 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
LOL -one warning. I tried this this morning with EVOO and do NOT, under any circumstances, do this right after you brush with cinnamon toothpaste!

Dottie! Don't brush at all first
Old 02-05-2007, 07:05 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamazon View Post
Catkin, I have been making my own toothpaste for years. (I can't stand fluoride or sodium laurel sulfate.) The commercial varieties never foamed up and I didn't like that, so I came up with my own recipe that does-- it's a mix of baking soda, food-grade glycerine, Dr. Bronner's liquid peppermint soap, coconut oil, and peppermint oil. It's wonderful! My whole family prefers it to commercial paste, so now I'm stuck making batches for my mother and sister, too! (my dental hygenist said I had beautiful gums for a non-flosser!)

I have been oil-pulling for a few days now, and it's been quite nice! I don't have any tooth or gum problems, just hoping to whiten them up a bit. We'll see how it goes!

That's excellent! It make so much sense! Killing the bacteria that cause oral problems with plain old soap made with saponified oils. Dr. Bronner's been trying to tell us this for years! I actually washed my hair with the castille/tea tree/bar soap this morning then followed up with my regular (laurel sulfate free) conditioner. It worked great and just a smidge lathered up like crazy! You must have soft water for this, though. I think I'm finally on to something
Old 02-05-2007, 07:06 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5 View Post
ok..so has anyone done this and then stopped and all your old problems reverted back to the way it was before or did the whitening effect and healthy gums stay that way?
I just started but I plan on continuing.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:15 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by iakaren View Post
This thread is interesting. Keep posting, so we can keep up with how it is going. May get brave enough to try it yet......
Start out with a teaspoon for a few minutes--you can do it!

I have a dental cleaning tool. I use it from time for tartar removal. Amazing ly so, since I've used it, there's absolutely NO buildup in those areas. The OP'ing and Dr. Bronner's are really doing a number on my mouth! YES!
Old 02-05-2007, 08:41 PM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: glamazon
Stats: 290/279/195 ** 6'2
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 5/25/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post
Angela
I would love your recipe! Would you mind sharing?
Hi Fawn!

(I'm actually one of your fans, some of your posts make me cheer!)

I don't have an exact recipe-- I just eyeball it. I use a little tupperware container, fill it with baking soda, put a big squirt of Dr. Bronners, 2 big squirts of glycerin, a couple tablespoons of melted coconut oil and about 40 drops of peppermint oil. If you add too much coconut oil it hardens too much, so go easy on that. You can add more glycerin if it's not "pasty" enough, or more baking soda if it's too runny. (and of course more peppermint if you like it stronger. My mom prefers spearmint, so I make hers with that.) I'm actually looking to add some neem powder to it as well, I hear that's excellent in toothpaste. (We'll see!) I have been using this for two years now and I love it. I can't go back to commercial paste. My husband can use any paste he wants, and he prefers mine.

Between this paste and oil pulling, I'll keep my teeth even when I'm an old crone!

Do-Over Divas
Photos of My Low Carb Meals

Last edited by glamazon; 02-05-2007 at 08:44 PM..
glamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:55 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamazon View Post
Hi Fawn!

(I'm actually one of your fans, some of your posts make me cheer!)

I don't have an exact recipe-- I just eyeball it. I use a little tupperware container, fill it with baking soda, put a big squirt of Dr. Bronners, 2 big squirts of glycerin, a couple tablespoons of melted coconut oil and about 40 drops of peppermint oil. If you add too much coconut oil it hardens too much, so go easy on that. You can add more glycerin if it's not "pasty" enough, or more baking soda if it's too runny. (and of course more peppermint if you like it stronger. My mom prefers spearmint, so I make hers with that.) I'm actually looking to add some neem powder to it as well, I hear that's excellent in toothpaste. (We'll see!) I have been using this for two years now and I love it. I can't go back to commercial paste. My husband can use any paste he wants, and he prefers mine.

Between this paste and oil pulling, I'll keep my teeth even when I'm an old crone!
Old 02-05-2007, 11:00 PM   #73
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Okay, I've done it for two mornings with EVOO, and I have no idea what the results were, except I didn't throw up. Believe me, that's a big accomplishment, because I have an acute gag reflex! Even brushing my teeth can make me throw up if I'm not careful, so the fact that I only gagged a little on the oil was huge for me. (TMI? Sorry. :blush: )

I'm doing it for the alleged teeth-whitening benefits.

I use a little under a Tablespoon of EVOO, set the timer for 18 minutes (couldn't cross that threshold into 20 ), and swish away. What I spit out isn't white, and it isn't yellow, it's in between, and very foamy, which makes sense, considering I can feel my salivation glands working overtime as I'm swishing away. I rinse very well with warm water--feel no need to stick my fingers in my mouth -- and then move on the rest of my hygiene.

I'll keep you posted.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:44 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mama Crow
Stats: 181/143/140 ^^5'3
WOE: Not Sure WHAT Plan I'm On
Start Date: February 1, 2007
I've heard Apricot Oil & Walnut Oil are BOTH wonderful .... of course, I am quite fond of my coconut oil ... but I've switched to another "lighter" oil ...

I think within a couple of weeks I'm gonna try apricot or walnut (whichever is easiest on my budget.)

I use a homemade clove soap made with goat's milk to brush my teeth with ... my husband and teenage daughters finally joined me ... the soap tastes really good (for soap, that is.)

No seriously, it tastes good.
Mama Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 04:11 AM   #75
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ok so I did this last night( just to try it) and it was kool
my mouth felt great
brushed my teeth and went to bed( gonna go back to DrB's soap for brushing)
did it this am too
the only issue for me is( Catkin you have a pm) is I cant get it to squish/swish enuff or at least I dont think I am

so I was thinkin I may take a pic of my teeth* I have 2 issues I wanna see what it does* and do a compare

Old 02-06-2007, 06:19 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Crow View Post
I've heard Apricot Oil & Walnut Oil are BOTH wonderful .... of course, I am quite fond of my coconut oil ... but I've switched to another "lighter" oil ...

I think within a couple of weeks I'm gonna try apricot or walnut (whichever is easiest on my budget.)

I use a homemade clove soap made with goat's milk to brush my teeth with ... my husband and teenage daughters finally joined me ... the soap tastes really good (for soap, that is.)

No seriously, it tastes good.

Got a brand name for the soap?
I have some walnut oil I've been ithching to taste, too!
Old 02-06-2007, 06:20 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by trish2 View Post
ok so I did this last night( just to try it) and it was kool
my mouth felt great
brushed my teeth and went to bed( gonna go back to DrB's soap for brushing)
did it this am too
the only issue for me is( Catkin you have a pm) is I cant get it to squish/swish enuff or at least I dont think I am

so I was thinkin I may take a pic of my teeth* I have 2 issues I wanna see what it does* and do a compare

Trish, you have a PM.

I'm not sure what you mean about not being able to get it to swish enough...
Old 02-06-2007, 06:23 AM   #78
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jax93
Stats: 152/129/119
WOE: VLC/ZC
Ok, I've been following this thread. I tried it this morning w/ EVOO, wasn't to bad. I could only swish about 8 mins, kept wanting to swallow. It was quite the workout for my facial muscles, I was really surprised about that.

Overall, it wasn't to bad. I think I will keep trying it, maybe find a different oil tho. I just brushed my teeth with water afterwards, I've ordered some toothsoap & I'll start using that once it gets here. I an impressed by how clean my mouth feels.

Thanks for all the info!
jax93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:31 AM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lori121
Stats: Jan 232.5/199.5/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Jan 6, 2014
I'm trying to get brave enough to try this. What kinds of oil does everybody use. Would the cheap olive oil work?? I'm trying to go the cheapest route to see if I can do this.
lori121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:37 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori121 View Post
I'm trying to get brave enough to try this. What kinds of oil does everybody use. Would the cheap olive oil work?? I'm trying to go the cheapest route to see if I can do this.
UNtoasted sesame and sunflower oils are suggested initially but many use unrefined olive oil, grapeseed oil, etc. You want an oil with healthful properties, not just a plain old vegetable oil. There are some that use flax oil! It's been said that the certain oils suggested originally, was because that's what was plentiful in that region of the world. Not sure but I think OP'ing may have originated in India. HTH!
Old 02-06-2007, 06:38 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax93 View Post
Ok, I've been following this thread. I tried it this morning w/ EVOO, wasn't to bad. I could only swish about 8 mins, kept wanting to swallow. It was quite the workout for my facial muscles, I was really surprised about that.

Overall, it wasn't to bad. I think I will keep trying it, maybe find a different oil tho. I just brushed my teeth with water afterwards, I've ordered some toothsoap & I'll start using that once it gets here. I an impressed by how clean my mouth feels.

Thanks for all the info!

Old 02-06-2007, 06:46 AM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: WildflowerMama
Stats: 185.5/143.2/revised to 140
Start Date: Nov 2006
This is really interesting! I still don't understand why it has to be done on an empty stomach. NO way could I ever get up and swish oil before having my coffee.

For those of you who are having a harder time with EVOO, try switching to sunflower. EVOO is a fairly heavy oil and will be harder to swish around. Sesame, grapeseed, sunflower, safflower will all be lighter oils.

As far as the soap - this is so interesting! I make my own soap and am part of a large soap making community. A bunch of members of the soaping community just did an experiment with tooth soap. They reported back great results. I tried it with some of mine and, for me, it was hard to get past the taste. I'm going to make an essential oil soap with just peppermint and spearmint and see if I like that better.

Losing weight is hard, but being fat is harder. Choose your hard.

Don't sit if you can stand. Don't stand if you can walk. Don't walk if you can run. Get Moving!
WildflowerMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:51 AM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shars
Stats: 142/132/123
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart 05/26/10
I have never heard of this before, and certainly not from dentists. I had to have some gum surgery awhile back, and had I heard of this before, I would have certainly tried this first!! Plan to try in the morning. How do you go 20 mins. with out swallowing?
(I had a dentist once tell me, that I produce as much saliva as some dog in some movie he tried to tell me about. I didn't know the movie. Just want every woman wants to hear!!)
shars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:50 AM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kaymoe
Stats: 283/231/135
WOE: K/E, Kimmer
Start Date: 53.75lbs since 9/18/06 29.75lbs since 1/2/07
Hi All!

Day two went great for me! I used a soup spoon from my silverware to measure instead of my baking measuring spoons. It was a much more manageble amount of oil for me. I swished while I was in the shower although I had to stop while I was washing my hair for fear it would slip down my throat!

I will say - and this may just be wishful thinking/feeling - that I believe the backs of my front teeth to be a bit smoother. So hopefully, this will help that plaque issue for me as well.

I've been making soap for years and it never occurred to me to brush with it! I have a recent batch that I used Deb Shuman's doublemint in - smells divine! - but it has mica and untramarine blue in it, so I guess that's out for brushing my teeth! I have nothing on hand that is completely 'mouth ready,' so I'll have to check with some of my buddies and see what I can some up with. If not, I'll get the Bronners to try.

WildFlower Mama: I'd be interested in a recipe for tooth soap if you wouldn't mind pointing me in that direction - if you were doing something out of the ordinary. Were you guys using bar or liquid? I've got lye and KOH so either would work. Although my liquid soapmaking skills are not as good as my bar!

Angela - thanks for sharing your recipe. I use baking soda once or twice a week by itself anyway, so this looks great! I'll bet neem would be a great addition.

Well, that's my report for today! Mouth feels great and I'm going to keep with it!

[COLOR=Magenta]Self Control is knowing you can - but choosing not to...[/COLOR]

283/231/135

50 Pounds Gone! Woo Hoo!!

Kaymoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:07 AM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mztags90
Stats: 200/108/130
WOE: Low Carb/ with treats in moderation
Does anyone have a barf bag?
mztags90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:50 AM   #86
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have a question for anyone who has Keratosis Pilaris-- you know, those weird benign tiny bumpy red spots usually on the upper arms. After doing web research on oil pulling, apparently it helps reduce or cure KP. Has anyone noticed a reduction in bumps, redness, etc? I have it all over my upper arms, I have for years and ususally I just ignore it... but I will keep an eye on it and see what it does with oil pulling. I've only been doing it less than a week, and some of the success stories say you have to do it 3 weeks or more to see any results.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:58 AM   #87
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susume
Stats: 140/135/120 70 yr.old 4'9"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Well I just keep starting over.
Well I gave it a try with the only oil I have which is Canola this morning. No problem. I came to the internet to kill my time and it went by so fast that I was 5 min. over when I turned around and looked at the clock. I was only going to try and go for 15 min. but it ended up 20!
I noticed that in the last month or two my teeth have gotten to looking really bad, hard to explain, like getting ungly and I told my sister who is a year older than me and she said "I noticed the same thing with my teeth". So I was going to make a Dr. apt. but I think I`ll wait a month and do this 2 times a day. I am going to get some coconut oil. Do I have to go to a health food store to get this oil - anyone know? Thank`s Sue
susume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:20 AM   #88
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

walmart, top shelf usually
green and white canister

I am gonna try evoo and canola blend I have
Old 02-06-2007, 11:27 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SgtMomArmy
WOE: lc
I use evoo. Day six for me. It's nice to wake up and have clean teeth. Breath is better. Gums have less bleeding while flossing. I think my skin on my face actually has a better tone. Maybe all that swishing gets the circulation moving better. I'll update in another week or so.
SgtMomArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:31 AM   #90
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Don't use Canola!! It is not a good oil. Stick with more natural recommended ones-- unroasted sesame, sunflower, olive, coconut, walnut, etc.

"The great Con-ola" at Weston Price