Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2008, 01:00 PM   #421
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jakesmomma
Stats: start212/now146/goal-trying to find it
WOE: Atkins
Thanks Swinglow, I believe I am going to try and was curious, I did read in a previous post that if it came from a nut or seed it would be acceptable, but just to be on the safe side I am going to follow your advice and try the sesame or sunflower, guess I better hit the grocery store.
jakesmomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2008, 04:13 AM   #422
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ldy Stardust
WOE: Crack the Fat Loss Code
Start Date: 4-20-09
Hi Swinglow,

I switched to sunflower oil. It turns white quite easily and very mild tasting. It seems that my teeth are whiting after each use now. I like it ....
Ldy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:10 AM   #423
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: swinglow
Stats: 247.6/236.6/195
WOE: Simeon's R1P2 til May 15, 2010
Start Date: March 28, 2010
Lady Stardust, that's great! There are so many benefits to oil pulling, aren't there? I alternate between the recommended oils and coconut oil. Good stuff.
swinglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:27 PM   #424
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: KrisA
Stats: 160/120/130
Start Date: 2/21/08
Hi.

I'm new to Low Carb Friends and just stumbled across this thread. It's fascinating to me and since I have terrible teeth which are naturally yellow and just bought a jar of virgin coconut oil, I believe I'm going to try OP tomorrow morning. I'm excited to see if it works for me. I found boxes and boxes of whitening strips here at my parents' house but I hesitated trying them. I'm just afraid of all of those chemicals.

kris

P.S. Love this site!
KrisA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:07 AM   #425
Formerlychubchick

Gallery: CurveControl
Stats: 200/172.4/130
WOE: LC JUDD/TOPS
Hi Kris! Welcome!
I have Tetracycline stained teeth (In the 60's they were not as careful about what they gave pregnant women and my mom took it while I was cookin') and strips do nothing. I will never have gorgeous pearly whites, But I think the Oil gets them as good as they can get. And much better than I ever thought they could look!
CurveControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:57 AM   #426
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: KrisA
Stats: 160/120/130
Start Date: 2/21/08
Hi, Molly.

I have two Tetracycline teeth (my canines). Had the drug while they were at just the right stage of development, I guess.

Tried OP this morning and only lasted a couple of minutes. I hope to do better tomorrow. It's funny, I try to have a couple of spoonfulls of CO every day and I actually like it but the OP was entirely different! I will try again!!

kris
KrisA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:39 PM   #427
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: sallyT
Stats: 167/142/117
WOE: 50%Atkins/50%SEE FOOD DIET ; )
Start Date: January 2006
Will oil pulling help get rid of tartar, the actual tartar that the dentist has to scrape off?
sallyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:18 PM   #428
Formerlychubchick

Gallery: CurveControl
Stats: 200/172.4/130
WOE: LC JUDD/TOPS
I have noticed a reduction. I dont know if it removes whats there, but I am positive that it helps keep it from sticking.
Try it Sally, There really is no drawback!
Wadda ya got to lose??
CurveControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:45 PM   #429
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: sallyT
Stats: 167/142/117
WOE: 50%Atkins/50%SEE FOOD DIET ; )
Start Date: January 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurveControl View Post
I have noticed a reduction. I dont know if it removes whats there, but I am positive that it helps keep it from sticking.
Try it Sally, There really is no drawback!
Wadda ya got to lose??
Thanks Molly I will definitly give it a try. I'm going to buy some oil at Famers Marekt (health store) on Sunday
sallyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:52 AM   #430
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jakesmomma
Stats: start212/now146/goal-trying to find it
So, I have started doing this, I have noticed whitening of my teeth already, better breath, and my gums aren't as puffy. I was just curious if anyone else got diarhhea:blush: after starting this? I am sorry this is TMI, but didn't know if this was common, it's not like I am swallowing it or anything but I have not been "loose" since I started atkins.
jakesmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #431
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: swinglow
Stats: 247.6/236.6/195
WOE: Simeon's R1P2 til May 15, 2010
Start Date: March 28, 2010
Congrats on the results, JakesMom! Lots of folks have better movement with oil pulling. For some, this takes them back to norm. For those who are already at norm, however, they may get loose. This should firm up a bit if you increase your fiber intake.
swinglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:57 PM   #432
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Questions
Stats: 410/340/240
WOE: Very Low Carb
Start Date: 01/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbSleepyToast View Post
One thing I was thinking .. has anyone tried this with butter? lol
I was looking at the rendered bacon fat I made this morning and wondering how that would work. I use no sugar, low sodium bacon, so maybe... animal fat is better than vegetable fat for many things.
Questions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:41 PM   #433
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pinkyakabb
Stats: 290/281.5/150
WOE: Atkin's
Start Date: 6/1/08
gonna have to try this
pinkyakabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:11 AM   #434
Junior LCF Member

I just did it with coconut oil. No gagging no problem no issues at all. Easy. I can't wait to keep on trying it with some of the other oils. I'll keep ya posted on how it goes.
rubinesque_skeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:50 AM   #435
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CheekyMnky
Healthier gums

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurveControl View Post
I would have to use warm water to do that, My teeth are so sensitive to cold!(Not to hot though, That neber bothers me) No way I could do the cold water in the AM.
I do see improvment on that w/ oil pulling, but that may be because the gums are healthier. I dunno, Rationally there wouldnt seem to be a reason for it to help sensitivity to cold.
2-23-2010
New Study Confirms Periodontal Disease Linked to Heart Disease
Researchers found diseased gums released significantly higher levels of bacterial pro-inflammatory components, such as endotoxins, into the bloodstream in patients with severe periodontal disease compared to healthy patients. As a result, these harmful bacterial components in the blood could travel to other organs in the body, such as the heart, and cause harm.

Last edited by CheekyMnky; 02-23-2010 at 05:52 AM..
CheekyMnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:40 AM   #436
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cynthia2005
Stats: 211/133/135/5'7"
WOE: my own, VLC/HF
Start Date: June 2005
OK - too weird - I had never heard of oil pulling till yesterday, when my husband started looking into it - he's a chronic allergy dude, and was looking for alternative approaches. Now this morning I stumble across this thread.

I sat here and read all 15 pages. On page 12, I started pulling with EVOO, the only oil I have in the house...except for castor, and therein lies my first question.

I saw that one poster mentioned she was going to try castor, but she never posted back in. Anybody else try it? I'm very impressed with castor oil - amazed at what it can do for various things.

Off to do more research, still swishing my EVOO without any trouble...
Cynthia2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #437
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bohogirl
Hello everyone, new here, not low-carbing (more like, opposite of that), but Oil Pulling for a while.
I stumbled on this thread while looking into OP with castor oil - kinda interesting to come to the last post, after 15 pages :-)

Cynthia2005, I couldn't find almost any info on pulling with castor oil anywhere else, so I test-drove it this morning. I don't think I will do it again - mind you, I swear by castor for anything and everything - it's my version of 'windex' from Big Fat Greek Wedding :blush:
It was just too thick and sticky, and definitely had that castor oil flavor, which I don't actually mind. I use organic cold pressed oil.

I've also tried EVO, sesame, coconut, flax, and even plain ol' vegetable oil (when away from home and it's all I can find in people's cabinets). The best/easiest/most cost effective, imo, is sunflower. Actually, safflower is a little cheaper, I just haven't tried it yet (will next time I do my 'oil run').
Coconut is yummy and I use it on those mornings I know I will need extra pep...

I OP for detoxing, the rest is just a bonus.

Word of caution - if you OP in the true Ayurvedic sense, more 'toxic' you are, worse your detox will be. Chronic illnesses might see worsening, you might have headaches, breakouts etc, but don't stop - it gets better and then BETTER

Last edited by bohogirl; 03-07-2010 at 05:02 PM..
bohogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #438
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: used2bfat
Stats: 190/189/120
Hi I am from Asia and there is an abundance of coconut oil here. I have tried the olive and it had a cleansing effect on my system. Would anyone share a success story on Oil Pulling as it relates to weight loss or sugar maintenance?

Thanks a lot!
used2bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #439
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
We had a Coconut Oil thread once and we would brush our teeth with a combo of toothpaste and coconut oil..(which is hard at room temperature)..it was an amazing feeling and helped the gums, too..
I know this is a really old tread, but was this found to be helpful for the gums? At my dental appt. today it was recommended that I see a periodontist for receding gums. Dentist said it was very mild at this point but since I am having some sensitivity to cold in one particular area he suggested the consult.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:17 AM   #440
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/203.2/160
WOE: NK/ IF
Start Date: 2 January 2014
Hi Jeanie,
I oil pull with coconut oil every morning for 20 minutes. I restarted again because I had gum problems once I quit smoking a few months ago. I have to say, my gums have stopped bleeding and they look healthier. I have a dental check up/clean appointment on the 21st of March, so I will let you know how it went!

I would definitely recommend oil pulling for gum issues. It would probably halt the receding gums. Of course, the damage that is already there cannot be reversed most likely, but at least you are doing something for your oral/gum health to prevent the worsening of the situation!

Let us know how you get on!

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

UK/European LCF Hangout: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-1-2014-a.html
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:58 AM   #441
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: debo1576
I started oil pulling a few days ago. I am so glad I found this site via a search on oil pulling as well as this post/thread. I am finding the pulling has really helped with my allergies, sinuses, etc. My teeth feel terrific and I actually look forward to doing it now. 20 minutes seemed like a lot of time but I have worked it into my morning routine. I come downstairs, oil in mouth, make coffee, read emails, Facebook, etc. I do find sometimes my nose starts to drain so much that I have to spit it out and start again.
debo1576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:35 AM   #442
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: werkn'it
Stats: 187/133/125
WOE: Atkin'ish
Start Date: 8/13 (this time around)
Any body still doing this and want to post results?
werkn'it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:49 PM   #443
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bkcorya
My first try... Not so glamorous

I've read a lot about the benefits of oil pulling and today I finally decided to attempt it. I REALLY wanted it to work!

Here's the less than glamorous details... : (

Oil: Coconut

Me: Put a small spoonful of the solid oil in my mouth - INSTANTLY start to gag.... Run to the trash can and continue to gag for about another 5 minutes.

It was like my tongue freaked out and issued an emergency evacuation order. I've never been so glad to have toothpaste in my mouth after that!

I'm REALLY sad about this though... Has this happened to anyone else? Is my body just oil illiterate and I just don't speak oil pulling??

HELP!
-Brandi
bkcorya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:48 PM   #444
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcorya View Post
I've read a lot about the benefits of oil pulling and today I finally decided to attempt it. I REALLY wanted it to work!

It was like my tongue freaked out and issued an emergency evacuation order. I've never been so glad to have toothpaste in my mouth after that!
Yep - same thing happened with me. It has taken several weeks for me to make it up to twenty minutes. I usually only gag once now after I spit the CO out. I have my toothpaste ready to go and do better if I try to make it through the whole process without actually thinking about what I'm doing. I try to stay busy with morning chores. I can advise you to absolutely not try oil pulling while planking.

I'm going to stick with it another month at least. I think my teeth are whiter and maybe my allergies are better lately. We'll see after some more time.

Why don't you try it again and let me know how it goes??
Old 04-18-2014, 07:00 AM   #445
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bkcorya
Quote:
Originally Posted by werkn'it View Post
Why don't you try it again and let me know how it goes??
Day 2: Repeat of Day 1.

Do you think there is any value in trying an oil that is already in liquid form? Could it be the melting part that is making it tough??

Thanks for the warning on planking!! That would SOOOOO be something I would have tried... The mental picture was too funny!!!!
bkcorya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:22 AM   #446
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah - that might help. I melt mine in the microwave for about 20 seconds first. Don't think I could just let it melt in my mouth. yuck.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:33 AM   #447
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Many people have strange/bad reactions to one kind of oil and find peace OPing a different kind of oil. I have np with CO but cannot handle EVOO at all (it is immediately ejected ).

Hit your pantry and experiment!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:28 AM   #448
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/203.2/160
WOE: NK/ IF
Start Date: 2 January 2014
Wanted to check back in regarding my check up...

My gums are definitely healthier, I have only a couple of pockets that are a problem now, and not so bad as last time they measured.

I combine OP with EVCO with twice weekly brushing with activated charcoal. This also pulls toxins out of the gums, I rinse really well afterwards, and then brush with an all natural toothpaste. (One without glycerin or fluoride) My teeth are really white and it seems my gums are turning a nice shade of pink instead of angry red they were before.

I can recommend OP to everyone!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote