Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2008, 03:11 PM   #391
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: swinglow
Stats: 247.6/236.6/195
WOE: Simeon's R1P2 til May 15, 2010
Start Date: March 28, 2010
So you guys are only getting oral effects? Because I've also noticed deeper more sound sleep, better and more regular bowel movement's, as well as increased energy. Anyone else getting other added benefits? I feel the same way about oil pulling as I do about being a fat burner. I'm in it for life. This is just too easy.

I started out with virgin coconut oil; but I prefer the unrefined sesame oil. Very mild and 20 minutes is gone before I know it! I like to shower, wash my face and dress while I do it. I also use 2 tsp because I build too much in my mouth, otherwise. If I find that I'm getting overloaded, I just go to the sink and ease a little out of my mouth midway through in order to keep the volume manageable.

"Love is just a word until someone comes along and gives it meaning" - Anonymous
swinglow is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2008, 07:36 AM   #392
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: IWILLDOIT1978
Stats: 266/?/ just to be healthy again!! :)
WOE: LOW CARB
Start Date: 11-4-06 restart 4/4/2013
what is oil pulling?
IWILLDOIT1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:54 PM   #393
Formerlychubchick

Gallery: CurveControl
Stats: 200/172.4/130
WOE: LC JUDD/TOPS

Stardust!
CurveControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:57 PM   #394
Formerlychubchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinglow View Post
So you guys are only getting oral effects? Because I've also noticed deeper more sound sleep, better and more regular bowel movement's, as well as increased energy. Anyone else getting other added benefits? I feel the same way about oil pulling as I do about being a fat burner. I'm in it for life. This is just too easy.

I started out with virgin coconut oil; but I prefer the unrefined sesame oil. Very mild and 20 minutes is gone before I know it! I like to shower, wash my face and dress while I do it. I also use 2 tsp because I build too much in my mouth, otherwise. If I find that I'm getting overloaded, I just go to the sink and ease a little out of my mouth midway through in order to keep the volume manageable.
I like the sunflower oil, Myself, right now. But I am probably gunna do CO for a few days, try for the energy boost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWILLDOIT1978 View Post
what is oil pulling?
"In the morning before breakfast on an empty stomach you take one tablespoon in the mouth but do not swallow it. Move Oil Slowly in the mouth as rinsing or swishing and Dr Karach puts it as ' sip, suck and pull through the teeth' for fifteen to twenty minutes. This process makes oil thoroughly mixed with saliva. Swishing activates the enzymes and the enzymes draw toxins out of the blood. The oil must not be swallowed, for it has become toxic. As the process continues, the oil gets thinner and white. If the oil is still yellow, it has not been pulled long enough.It is then spit from the mouth , the oral cavity must be thoroughly rinsed and mouth must be washed thoroughly. Just use normal tap water and good old fingers to clean.

Clean the sink properly, you can use some antibacterial soap to clean the sink. Because the spittle contains harmful bacteria and toxic bodily waste. If one were to see one drop of this liquid magnified 600 times under a microscope, one would see microbes in their first stage of development.

It is important to understand that during the oil-pulling/swishing process one's metabolism is intensified. This leads to improved health. One of the most striking results of this process is the fastening of loose teeth, the elimination of bleeding gums and the visible whitening of the teeth.

The oil pulling /swishing is done best before breakfast. To accelerate the healing process, it can be repeated three times a day, but always before meals on an empty stomach."
Old 01-21-2008, 11:09 PM   #395
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ldy Stardust
WOE: Crack the Fat Loss Code
Start Date: 4-20-09
Hi Molly,

Thanks for the welcome.

I made it through my second time around with six minutes of more active swishing. Oh, my sore muscles. lol A tender spot on my gum is feeling better and my teeth look a bit brighter. Shooting for a minuter longer tomorrow ...
Ldy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:41 AM   #396
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Zer
Stats: 5'10"; 65; 508.7/_320.0_/199
WOE: Atkins: <5%Carb; J-UD/DD(<2798/560cals); 128ozH2O
Start Date: Got scale at 432.4(2/8/08); 376.8(2/8/09)
15 or 20 minutes, before meals, empty stomach...

Molly, thanks for the Karach description - before meals, empty stomach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurveControl View Post
I like the sunflower oil, Myself, right now. But I am probably gunna do CO for a few days, try for the energy boost.
Quote:
In the morning before breakfast on an empty stomach you take one tablespoon in the mouth but do not swallow it. Move Oil Slowly in the mouth as rinsing or swishing and Dr Karach puts it as ' sip, suck and pull through the teeth' for fifteen to twenty minutes. This process makes oil thoroughly mixed with saliva. Swishing activates the enzymes and the enzymes draw toxins out of the blood. The oil must not be swallowed, for it has become toxic. As the process continues, the oil gets thinner and white. If the oil is still yellow, it has not been pulled long enough.It is then spit from the mouth , the oral cavity must be thoroughly rinsed and mouth must be washed thoroughly. Just use normal tap water and good old fingers to clean.

Clean the sink properly, you can use some antibacterial soap to clean the sink. Because the spittle contains harmful bacteria and toxic bodily waste. If one were to see one drop of this liquid magnified 600 times under a microscope, one would see microbes in their first stage of development.

It is important to understand that during the oil-pulling/swishing process one's metabolism is intensified. This leads to improved health. One of the most striking results of this process is the fastening of loose teeth, the elimination of bleeding gums and the visible whitening of the teeth.

The oil pulling /swishing is done best before breakfast. To accelerate the healing process, it can be repeated three times a day, but always before meals on an empty stomach.
Ah, clean mouth and sink thoroughly after spitting. I brushed my teeth and gums and tongue. Did not pay attention to washing out the sink and the spit receptacle. Will do it!
Zer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:43 AM   #397
Senior LCF Member

Has anybody had this happen?

After finishing my second oil pulling session, I brushed my teeth and now on the front sides of my top front teeth it is noticeably lighter. t's like it's blotchy and lighter toward the bottom edge of the tooth. I sure hope the rest catch up.

Last edited by Ldy Stardust; 01-22-2008 at 03:39 AM..
Old 01-22-2008, 11:20 AM   #398
Formerlychubchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldy Stardust View Post
After finishing my second oil pulling session, I brushed my teeth and now on the front sides of my top front teeth it is noticeably lighter. t's like it's blotchy and lighter toward the bottom edge of the tooth. I sure hope the rest catch up.
I do, Because I have tetra teeth ( Stained by tetracycline when I was either in utero or a very small child) and scars on my teeth from braces (remember the braces in the 70's and 80's that had metal bands around Each Tooth? Ugh!)
The scars and the tops and bottoms lighten up first.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:22 PM   #399
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the info, Molly. My teeth are actually better now after my last OP session.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:31 AM   #400
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Jayelgee
Stats: 187/184/145
WOE: LC
Start Date: 7/3/2007
Okay, today is my first day. I just swished EVCO for 18 minutes. Easy peasy.

The only thing I'm worried about is that people reported more facial breakouts. My skin is awful. I don't need MORE. *fingers crossed*
Jayelgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:02 PM   #401
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayelgee View Post
Okay, today is my first day. I just swished EVCO for 18 minutes. Easy peasy.

The only thing I'm worried about is that people reported more facial breakouts. My skin is awful. I don't need MORE. *fingers crossed*
as it pulls the toxins out of your system you might have a few worse breakouts but give it a few extra days they really go away! HTH look up the oil cleansing thread as well great info!
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:49 AM   #402
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LynnScarlet
Stats: 173/156/133
WOE: Atkins
I've been doing it for 3 days now. I use coconut oil I got in my healthfood store (is this the same as VCO or do I need to buy that?). Right from the first day I was able to do 20 minutes as I love coconut.

I swish it round in my mouth, however I'm not sure that I pull it. I can't really get it between my teeth. Am I doing it wrong?

Is the empty stomach thing only to avoid nausea?
LynnScarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:25 AM   #403
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

My teeth are too tight to floss in some places, but I figure swishing will benefit gums and brushing BEFORE & AFTER will maybe catch the tight places. As for EVCO and VCO and not-so-virgin coconut oil, I wager it does not matter for the stuff we are swishing and spitting. I plan on seeking the other oils that are recommended for pulling toxins. Just using VCO because that's what I have on hand at the moment. So far I'm not doing this first thing. I just cannot give up the tremendous boost I get from taking in 40g of protein first thing with my hot slosh. As I gain strength in my legs and better balance, I may be able to hold off and do the oil pulling on an empty stomach. Until then, I'll do what I can.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:26 AM   #404
Senior LCF Member

Hey Zer, I don't think there is a problem with you drinking your slosh first. I think the main reasoning for doing it on a empty stomache is so a person doesn't lose their breakfast.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:51 PM   #405
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

So my LC day starts with a hot slosh, then a 20min swish, then a spit? <g> Do you know how I'm grinning now?
Old 01-24-2008, 04:45 PM   #406
Formerlychubchick

What is a Hot Slosh?
Old 01-25-2008, 09:02 AM   #407
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

Zer's Hot Slosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurveControl View Post
What is a Hot Slosh?
Oh, it's magical! Just 40g of protein, first thing in the morning, to make me feel like a LC success - which is a wonderful feeling for as long as it lasts, which is until I hit my first carby mis-step of the day and have to start forgiving myself for being as human and fallible as anyone on this planet. Recipe? Two scoops of ALG's WPP (see Ann Louise Gittleman - Fat Flush, Fast Track, Detox, Colon Cleansing, Diet, Nutrition for her source of whey protein powder that apparently mixes in better than most WPPs mix with hot water). I use a vanilla WPP sweetened with stevia, a sweetness that I cut by adding a spoonful of espresso crystals and a spoonful of organic raw cacao from a sustainable resources place in Oregon. See my BLOG for a babble on how great cacao is in a lot of ways that chocolate is good for us, without some of the drawbacks that processed chocolate is bad for us. All of this is stirred together as I add hot water to make a thick glop, then add more hot water for 16oz of Hot Slurp to whch I add a couple of spoons of VCO that melts as I stir the foamy mixture. That's what gives me all the confidence in the world that I am COMPETENT - moi! - COMPETENT to fuel my cells and to manage my life. It's a wildly exciting feeling, being COMPETENT!

More on this at my BLOG, as I can barely get over myself for discovering how WPP works. I spent a lot of time avoiding WPP, as the idea of a cold shake first thing in the morning has all the charm of a cold shower. Brrr-r-r!
Old 01-25-2008, 09:07 AM   #408
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

I still do my Hot Slosh first thing in the morning. Cannot see any reason to stop starting my day with that rush of COMPETENCE that is so new a feeling for me. What a discovery to make on the eve of one's 64th b'day, eh?

I do my swish later in the day. First my SLOSH...then a SWISH...

Life does not get much better than this. I'm finally figuring out how to live!
Old 01-25-2008, 10:26 AM   #409

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/137.7/125; 5'1"
WOE: HCG Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 07/2014
I got off track with the different versions experiments, but I shall start with sesame oil.

So Far I've noticed:
Swishing with water was pleasant, easy to initiate, and easy to continue. Water is readily available, and easy to swish. It seemed to clean my teeth and benefit like flossing in tight spaces. My teeth and gums felt better during the weeks that I swished with water

Drinking 2-3 cups of water was very difficult for me, since my body is used to drinking in the afternoon and right before bed. I can down 2-3 cups of water right before bed, but I gag if I try first thing in the morning. Plus It gave me a headache which seemed to last most of the day

I started a swish with oil, but did not continue, so I will restart tonight. The first thing was that it was more work to swish because it is thick and it is harder to keep my throat closed and not accidently swallow some. It makes my jaw tired, but I'm sure I'll get used to the workout just like before. Because the first time I oil swished, I did not think and swished with water right after. It seemed a good way to follow up and made it easier to get the oil coating off.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 01-25-2008 at 10:28 AM..
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:01 AM   #410
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sagie
Stats: 211/126/130
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 1984
Pulling oil? Wow, I've never even heard of such a thing! But after reading this thread and the other one on the same topic. (about 2 hours worth of reading!) I was so excited I had to try it as well. I used the EVOO since I had that on hand but it was sooo thick that I only lasted 5-6 minutes so I did it again for another 5-6 minutes! I'll have to pick up some of the cold-pressed sunflower oil when I go to town and see how that turns out.
Sagie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:37 AM   #411

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/137.7/125; 5'1"
WOE: HCG Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 07/2014
I"ve decided after swishing water, then oil, that Oil pulling is really an unsustainable habit for me. I can't keep it up consistently enough. It is so much easier for me to swish water, than put oil in my mouth. I think part if it is my swallow reflex. I try to keep the oil forward, but inevetably some gets on the back of my tongue, and my through automatically tries to swallow. I don't swallow the oil in my mouth but enough on the back of my tongue is swallowed to taste bad and keep the reflex repeating. It is chore for me.

I did get some benefits from both oil and water, cleaner feeling teeth, and between teeth, and less smelly breath. I will use up the rest of the sesame oil I have but I think I will continue pulling with water or my tea tree mouth rinse. good luck to all of you who can pull oil successfully. This is Metqa, signing off.
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:29 PM   #412
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WHIRLYBIRD
Stats: 265/183/130
WOE: Atkins~Low Carb/JUDDDD
Start Date: 01-01-09
Can anyone here tell me where to find unrefined sesame oil? All I can find is the refined.

Thanks,
Jenni
WHIRLYBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:36 PM   #413
Formerlychubchick

I bought some sunflower Oil in the baking Isle.. Very inexpensive.
<~~~~~~~Not much help.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:36 PM   #414
Sweet and Spicy Tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHIRLYBIRD View Post
Can anyone here tell me where to find unrefined sesame oil? All I can find is the refined.

Thanks,
Jenni
[COLOR="Magenta"]I think what you mean by unrefined, is cold pressed, correct? That is the best chice, refined is 2nd choice..

I use cold pressed sunflower oil, and now that I needed to get more, I had a heck of a time finding it. I got the last 3 bottles in all of the Denver metro are, I think...LOL I buy it at Whole Foods, and I know mine at least, had bottles and bottles of the cold pressed sesame oil...[/COLOR]
RockyMtnAngelEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:34 AM   #415
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WHIRLYBIRD
Stats: 265/183/130
WOE: Atkins~Low Carb/JUDDDD
Start Date: 01-01-09
Thanks Molly & Kiki for your responses. I'll go to Whole Foods and look for the cold pressed oil. I've been using the unrefined sesame oil but my book on oil pulling says to use refined sesame or refined sunflower oil. I guess it couldn't hurt to use unrefined. It does seem to me like it would be a better choice...
WHIRLYBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:38 AM   #416
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lynda99
You people who like swishing need to get a water pic, and use it every day. Knocking every bit of grossness from the spaces at the gum line in the most satisfying thing ever. It's horrid when you think your teeth are clean, and you knock a giant piece of grossness out! I hate to floss (but do), but water pic-ing reduces my flossing time to nothing.

I settled on oil pulling with the coconut oil, using the water pic, then brushing with different stuff, sometimes straight coconut oil. I plan to get some other oils to try, and some mint oil, but not right now. I'm too happy with not gagging while brushing my teeth.

I'm a terrible toothbrush gagger, and I've completely quit brushing with anything that foams. No more gagging!
Lynda99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:55 AM   #417
Senior LCF Member

Hey folks,

Any of you still oil pulling? I just got started back. I'm telling you having the right oil makes the difference. I was trying to get olive oil to turn white and it just wasn't happening. Anyway, I changed oils and I got white oil after 10 minutes day and I'm happy. I'll be working up to 20 minutes. I'm also doing the water therapy afterwards by drinking 1˝ liters water and waiting one hour before eating or drinking anything else. It sure gets my system moving if you know what I mean.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:02 AM   #418
Formerlychubchick

What did you change to Stardust?
Old 03-04-2008, 10:38 AM   #419
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jakesmomma
Stats: start212/now146/goal-trying to find it
WOE: Atkins
I just couldn't read every single post, I am just curious if anyone tried using hazelnut oil?
jakesmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:01 PM   #420
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: swinglow
Stats: 247.6/236.6/195
WOE: Simeon's R1P2 til May 15, 2010
Start Date: March 28, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesmomma View Post
I just couldn't read every single post, I am just curious if anyone tried using hazelnut oil?
I don't remember anyone mentioning it. I definitely recommend one of the proven ones if your just starting out; sunflower or sesame (not toasted) are the recommended ones. Coconut oil has shown excellent results for many.
swinglow is offline   Reply With Quote