Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 07:41 PM   #361
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9-8-07
This is interesting! I did it twice with EVOO, I don't gag or anything but I'm not sure how miraculous my results are....

One thing I was thinking .. has anyone tried this with butter? lol
LowCarbSleepyToast is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2008, 12:06 AM   #362
Formerlychubchick

Gallery: CurveControl
Stats: 200/172.4/130
WOE: LC JUDD/TOPS
Never thought of butter. I have tried coconut oil though. I think I prefer the sunflower oil. It is cheap and not as thick as Olive oil.
CurveControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:44 PM   #363
Senior LCF Member

It was a silly question It just seems that low carbers use butter in everything..

I bought some sesame oil, it is delightful! It just TASTES really good. My mouth does feel cleaner, much more with the sesame oil than with the EVOO. Plus theres no gag reflex with the sesame oil. However I have a hard time not swallowing a little when I swish.

My theory on how this works is that it engages the natural cleansing properties of saliva and coats the teeth and gums with oil to heal and protect. Does anyone have any results that suggest a 'detoxification' or a result other than oral health?
Old 01-05-2008, 10:55 AM   #364
Formerlychubchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbSleepyToast View Post
It was a silly question It just seems that low carbers use butter in everything..

I bought some sesame oil, it is delightful! It just TASTES really good. My mouth does feel cleaner, much more with the sesame oil than with the EVOO. Plus theres no gag reflex with the sesame oil. However I have a hard time not swallowing a little when I swish.

My theory on how this works is that it engages the natural cleansing properties of saliva and coats the teeth and gums with oil to heal and protect. Does anyone have any results that suggest a 'detoxification' or a result other than oral health?

Im a little slow this week! LOL

I think on the first or second page there is a link, But I agree w/ your theory.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:26 PM   #365
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FatKat184
Stats: 160/152/140
WOE: low carb
Quote:

I just started two days ago with the unrefined sesame oil. Now I have a head cold with stuffy/runny nose (how can it be stuffy AND runny at the same time??). I haven't had a cold (or been sick, period!) in more than a year. So, not sure if it's just coincidence or it's a bit of a detox going on. I tend to be skeptical about the healing benefits beyond the oral but who knows?? I'll keep at it as it certainly can't hurt.
FatKat184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:41 AM   #366
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
I wondered if the following variables would provide benefits:

-no swishing of water or oil, but drinking 2-3 cups of water first thing in the morning
- prolonged swishing with just water without drinking 2-3 cups of water
-prolonged swishing with just water and drinking 2-3 cups of water in the morning
-prolonged swishing of oil without drinking 2-3 cups of water
I had such a pleasant experience of swishing with plain water, that the past two days, I've missed it. It is a nice habit, easy to establish and hard to not continue. My teeth and gum did seem to benefit, if only to feel cleaner. I have sensitive gums that get irritated by flossing, but the swishing did a good job of removing debris without hurting. Last night after eating bacon which usually sticks btw my teeth and causes pain with flossing, I was able to floss it out quickly and without any pain. I'm sure it was because of the massaging action of swishing twice a day. It may have helped with healing.

Anyway, that comparison will be with the oil. Next I will abandon water swishing and imbibe two cups of [COLOR="Blue"]Cold[/COLOR] water starting today. [COLOR="Blue"]BBBRRRRR![/COLOR].
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #367

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
Quote:
This is interesting! I did it twice with EVOO, I don't gag or anything but I'm not sure how miraculous my results are....

One thing I was thinking .. has anyone tried this with butter? lol
did you watch wife swap????
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #368

Yikes! all that cold wter at once gave me a headache

do you guys really drink 2 cups of cold water first thing in the morning before breakfast. It Made me feel ill all day.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:41 PM   #369
Formerlychubchick

Quote:
Yikes! all that cold wter at once gave me a headache

do you guys really drink 2 cups of cold water first thing in the morning before breakfast. It Made me feel ill all day.
No WAY! My teeth would ache and my head would explode!
I don't even oil swish until after 2 cups of coffee!
Old 01-08-2008, 07:38 AM   #370

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurveControl View Post
No WAY! My teeth would ache and my head would explode!
That's pretty much how I felt! I was headach-y and grumpy most of the morning. Not to mention I spilled blue cheese dressing all over my textbooks too. I think I couldn't function. Maybe I'll drink it more slowly and not chilled!
Old 01-08-2008, 10:33 AM   #371
Senior LCF Member

I'm interested in your results comparing oil swishing to water swishing. Personally I think it's more the saliva and the swishing action than the oil that gives dental benefits...

I haven't swished in a few days...Its a hard habit to get into..
Old 01-08-2008, 03:01 PM   #372

I tried swishing with oil this past summer and it was hard to keep up. But i found that swishing with water was hard not to do since it is naturally part of my teeth brushing routine. I stopped swishing water this week and I can already feel the lack of the habit. I have to stop myself at a few swishes. But really I think I will be happy to get back to swishing then I will switch to oil, and maybe the habit will be ingrained by then.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:04 AM   #373
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DebM
where do you find the sesame seed or sunflower oil??

Also, I thought that you were supposed to drink warm water 1st thing in the morning- that warm was better for your metobolism to speed it up, etc?.....
DebM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #374

I think any local healthfood store ought to have unrefined sesame oil, and sunflower is even easier to find.

As for the water, I'm going to have to try some other way. It is just to hard t get over. I read that cold water empties from the stomach faster(quicker hydration), also that your body, in order to maintain temperature has to warm up in order to balance the temperature deficit that cold water creates.
But Cold water in winter, and two cups of it at that, is just too hard. It gives me headaches!

I might try cool water with ACV added,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BTW, my teeth have felt fuzzy ever since I quit water-swishing. I DO notice the difference. Next week I'm back on it, with water, then after that, oil swishing.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:27 AM   #375
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: anniemo
WOE: whole organic lc
i started oil pulling a couple of weeks ago because of this thread and my gums have never looked better. i'm using coconut oil because that is what i have in the house now. when i go to the store i might get some sunflower oil because my coconut oil is used for everything. great thread!
anniemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:28 AM   #376

Quote:
I think any local healthfood store ought to have unrefined sesame oil, and sunflower is even easier to find.

As for the water, I'm going to have to try some other way. It is just to hard t get over. I read that cold water empties from the stomach faster(quicker hydration), also that your body, in order to maintain temperature has to warm up in order to balance the temperature deficit that cold water creates.
But Cold water in winter, and two cups of it at that, is just too hard. It gives me headaches!

I might try cool water with ACV added,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BTW, my teeth have felt fuzzy ever since I quit water-swishing. I DO notice the difference. Next week I'm back on it, with water, then after that, oil swishing.
have you tried the true lemon or true lime pkts for your water???really changes the taste without adding calories!!
Old 01-10-2008, 12:14 PM   #377

Thanks, I hadn't, but I just bought a package of each! How'd you know!?
Old 01-11-2008, 08:13 AM   #378
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: freeman525
Stats: (241)201.8/197.5/141
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart 12/30/13
Question about pulling with water

Those of you who are using water rather than oil for pulling, how do you keep from strangling on the water?

Janice
freeman525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:30 AM   #379

Quote:
Thanks, I hadn't, but I just bought a package of each! How'd you know!?
Great minds think alike
Old 01-11-2008, 10:04 AM   #380

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeman525 View Post
Those of you who are using water rather than oil for pulling, how do you keep from strangling on the water?

Janice
Ummm It is the same as when you swish after brushing your teeth ?
Why would I strangle on water? It is less viscous than oil. you just put it in your mouth and swish.

BTW, I was wondering, those who "drink 2-3 cups of water" after pulling; exactly how much water do you actually drink after pulling? ounce? I'm having a tough time drinking that much water all at once and I think it has been making me feel bad. Do you actually drink 16oz, or just 8 oz, or whatever you feel like?
Old 01-11-2008, 10:07 AM   #381
Formerlychubchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebM View Post
where do you find the sesame seed or sunflower oil??

Also, I thought that you were supposed to drink warm water 1st thing in the morning- that warm was better for your metobolism to speed it up, etc?.....
I got mine by the Corn/Veggie/Olive oil in the baking isle. It was cheaper than the generic vegetable oil.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:44 PM   #382
Senior LCF Member

Trying this on and off still .. no real results to report.

BTW I could only find sesame oil with the chinese/oriental foods. MmM so yummy though (great with cabbage!)
Old 01-13-2008, 09:53 AM   #383
Formerlychubchick

Quote:
Trying this on and off still .. no real results to report.

BTW I could only find sesame oil with the chinese/oriental foods. MmM so yummy though (great with cabbage!)
I bought sunflower oil
Old 01-13-2008, 01:50 PM   #384
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dew4j
Stats: 185/140.4/135
Start Date: 9/1/04, reinduction 1/15/09
HUMMMMMMM

I wonder if it will whiten dentures? Just a thought
dew4j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:32 AM   #385
Major LCF Poster!

whew, I tried this this morning with sesame seed oil and had to spit it out within a couple of minutes. I must have got the wrong kind of sesame oil because it was nasty and I could smell it for awhile. Not sure if this is something that I'm going to be able to do but good luck to you all doing it!
Old 01-14-2008, 12:19 PM   #386

You didn't get toasted sesame oil did you? Do you think it might be rancid?
Old 01-15-2008, 07:35 AM   #387
Major LCF Poster!

I'll have to check....it just was soooo strong. Reminded me of chinese food and I can't stand too much soy or that ter. sauce that they put on stuff. I always tell them to leave off the soy.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:57 PM   #388
Formerlychubchick

Regular sesame oil looks, smells, tastes neutral.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:35 PM   #389
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: swinglow
Stats: 247.6/236.6/195
WOE: Simeon's R1P2 til May 15, 2010
Start Date: March 28, 2010
Today was day three for me with the oil pulling with virgin coconut oil. I am in LOVE with the way it makes my teeth feel!!! I'm one of those people that gets tartar build up very easily... so easily that my dental hygenist used to schedule me every 3 months instead of 6. But I've since moved and haven't been for a cleaning in 8 months. Well, I'd kept up with regular flossing but I kept thinking, "man, I need a cleaning". Well since I've been oil pulling my teeth feel sooooooo smooth! Like I just came from a cleaning! I'm ecstatic! I do my pulling while I'm getting ready in the morning. While taking a shower, washing face, etc. The first time was the hardest. The second easier... and today's was easy as pie. I see no reason to ever stop. I will be grabbing some sesame and sunflower oil tomorrow, though, since they are recommended.

"Love is just a word until someone comes along and gives it meaning" - Anonymous
swinglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:32 AM   #390
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ldy Stardust
WOE: Crack the Fat Loss Code
Start Date: 4-20-09
Hi all,

I just started oil pulling today for the tooth whitening and health benefits, as I have a rare, incurable disease (Dercum's disease) and am looking for something to compliment my diet and supplementation. I also started incorporating the water therapy (1.5 L) today. I started with 1 tsp oil for five minutes, because I'm a whimp. lol Actually I went for the gusto last week with 1 tbsp of oil and 20 minutes of pulling. I liked to die. I'm starting slow and working up.

I'll be checking back.

Last edited by Ldy Stardust; 01-20-2008 at 05:54 AM..
Ldy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote