Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2007, 10:11 AM   #331
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
I have been trying to research my reaction. Yesterday I did it with abut 2 tsp of coconut oil and had no problem.

This morning I woke up, empty stomach, and did the same. About 2 tsp of coconut oil. I got to 8 minutes and felt an overwhelming sick feeling and just started retching. It went on and on and on. I thought it wasn't going to stop. Like dry vomiting. Ugh!!! That was so unpleasant.

I wonder what it means?

I read to try adding some peppermint oil, so I will try that.

I was reading--
1. You need an empty stomach for this to work, so that’s why it is suggested you do it first thing in the morning after you’ve brushed the film off your teeth. You can use a brush with no toothpaste on it at this point just to clear the surface of the teeth. For chronic or more serious conditions, you will want to Oil Pull two or three times a day. So, just make sure you have not eaten for 4 hours and not had anything to drink for 1 hour. This ensures that the lining of your mouth is free of food/beverage particles and also that you will not vomit. Oil Pulling more than once a day helps you detox faster.

note- my stomach was empty but I did vomit

2. Oil Pull for at least 10 minutes. 15 to 20 is better and gets a more thorough result. The point is that what you spit out should be white and foamy, not yellow like the oil. If yellow, you’ve not done it long enough (although there may be times when you feel you just have to spit it out -- that’s ok once in a while).

The early signs of health improvement are whiter, shinier teeth; feeling refreshed and relaxed when waking up; balanced appetite and better eliminations; deeper sleep; disappearing pouches/dark circles below the eyes; more energy and stronger immune function throughout the day.

Oh I am so hoping my dark circles disappear!!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2007, 10:36 AM   #332
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: freyamoon
WOE: VERY low carb(added fiber)good fats only!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
I have been trying to research my reaction. Yesterday I did it with abut 2 tsp of coconut oil and had no problem.

This morning I woke up, empty stomach, and did the same. About 2 tsp of coconut oil. I got to 8 minutes and felt an overwhelming sick feeling and just started retching. It went on and on and on. I thought it wasn't going to stop. Like dry vomiting. Ugh!!! That was so unpleasant.

I wonder what it means?

I read to try adding some peppermint oil, so I will try that.

I was reading--
1. You need an empty stomach for this to work, so that’s why it is suggested you do it first thing in the morning after you’ve brushed the film off your teeth. You can use a brush with no toothpaste on it at this point just to clear the surface of the teeth. For chronic or more serious conditions, you will want to Oil Pull two or three times a day. So, just make sure you have not eaten for 4 hours and not had anything to drink for 1 hour. This ensures that the lining of your mouth is free of food/beverage particles and also that you will not vomit. Oil Pulling more than once a day helps you detox faster.

note- my stomach was empty but I did vomit

2. Oil Pull for at least 10 minutes. 15 to 20 is better and gets a more thorough result. The point is that what you spit out should be white and foamy, not yellow like the oil. If yellow, you’ve not done it long enough (although there may be times when you feel you just have to spit it out -- that’s ok once in a while).

The early signs of health improvement are whiter, shinier teeth; feeling refreshed and relaxed when waking up; balanced appetite and better eliminations; deeper sleep; disappearing pouches/dark circles below the eyes; more energy and stronger immune function throughout the day.

Oh I am so hoping my dark circles disappear!!

Try doing just one teaspoon instead of two. Work your way up to a tablespoon. See if that helps. I read that it is ok to do it for a few minutes and spit it out, then use fresh oil for a few minutes. I did get a little nauseous after about 10 minutes but then it went away. I read somewhere (not sure where now) That maybe the toxins accumulated after awhile contribute to feeling sick in your mouth. Changing the oil might help a lot!

Last edited by freyamoon; 09-23-2007 at 10:38 AM..
freyamoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:41 AM   #333
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freyamoon View Post
Try doing just one teaspoon instead of two. Work your way up to a tablespoon. See if that helps. I read that it is ok to do it for a few minutes and spit it out, then use fresh oil for a few minutes. I did get a little nauseous after about 10 minutes but then it went away. I read somewhere (not sure where now) That maybe the toxins accumulated after awhile contribute to feeling sick in your mouth. Changing the oil might help a lot!

Thanks for the tips. I will give it a try. After reading up on this, it seems rather fascinating.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:53 AM   #334
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar_kar View Post
Freyamoon,

I take the Carlson cod liver oil caps. I honestly don't know how anyone would be able to stand swishing fish oil, though...blechy. It's bad enough when I get the fish-oil burps. And you're right, it would be crazy expensive to do that twice a day.

But anyhoo, thanks for the info and tips! I love the idea of adding tea tree oil...I will definitely try that as well.

p.s. Check out krill oil for omega-3s as well...I take these along with the Carlson caps.

ooohh! The Carlson Caps are the best on the market The Carlson fish oils have lemon added and from some reviews I read on Amazon, the fish flavor is very minimal where most other brands are disgusting. It is supposedly the best tasting, most pleasant fish oil around. And the liquid doe not cause the fish burps like the caps do.

But I'll let you know how it tastes and what it is like to "pull" with it when it gets here When I started dosing myself with the coconut oil last week, I just took it straight off a tablespoon. I know some people have a hard time taking straight oil and mix it with coffee and stuff. I think swishing olive oil would probably make me want to barf. I guess experimenting with different oils and finding one that works is the key

gawd I hope the fish oil works for me. That stuff is pure manna!
Old 09-23-2007, 11:04 AM   #335
Senior LCF Member

woopsie.. this was a double
Old 09-25-2007, 08:27 AM   #336
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
bump
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:56 AM   #337
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: freeman525
Stats: (241)201.8/197.5/141
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart 12/30/13
FYI

After pulling with safflower oil for about a month, I tried sunflower oil yesterday. I have to say that even though safflower oil wasn't all that bad, sunflower has almost NO taste. I've found a keeper.

Janice
freeman525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:05 PM   #338
Senior LCF Member

I got my Carlson's fish oil today!! (bottled)

I did not taste any fish in it.. it has a lemony flavor. You can also get it with an orange flavor. As I said, I am going to pull with it once a day, and do coconut oil/sunflower or sesame mix once a day.

I could not wait, so I did a pull with the fish oil. This was the easiest for me to pull with so far! Does not feel oily in the mouth.. Was sort of like swishing with a light lemon cough drop! After I had a nice lemon taste in my mouth.. but I made sure to rinse and brush my teeth after to get rid of any residual toxins in my mouth.

Then I went ahead and drank my spoonful.(the carlson site says one tsp is the same as 6-8 of their capsules and do not cause fish burps) Best source of omega-3's (with no omega-6 yay!), AND the best all around for oil pulling. Anti-bacteria, anti-fungal, and anti-viral, excellent at pulling heavy metals....

It is expensive.. but I did save half price by ordering it through Amazon. I got a 500ml for the price of the smaller bottle.

before this I was mainly sticking to the coconut oil which is also awesome. So far ... my teeth are definitely getting whiter. I had this disgusting nicotine stain on my front tooth.. scraping didn't even work. (I know, I REALLY need to quit) Over the last few days it has almost disappeared!

And recently I have started coughing up the dark lung gunk that accumulates in a smoker's lungs. The only other time this has happened was when I managed to quit smoking for two months!

I *think* my skin is softer and my hair definately is, but I can't be sure it is from oil pulling as I also started biotin 5,000mcg.

Last edited by freyamoon; 09-25-2007 at 04:07 PM..
Old 09-27-2007, 02:02 AM   #339

Location: Where the voices in my head are medicated for your safety
Gallery: Grizzy
Stats: 18/8/6
WOE: HCG
Start Date: Oct 09 Dr Simeons HCG
I have been pulling with cold pressed sunflower oil twice a day for 5 days nows and my gums are feeling better than they have in over a decade. I have worked up to 20 minutes at a time but in the beginning I was only doing 10 or 12.

I would like to try EVOO and sesame but will probably stick with sunflower for now.

I have coconut oil on hand but it seems so thick to me. Does it soften in your mouth and liquify fast?
Grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:07 AM   #340
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketosis View Post
I have coconut oil on hand but it seems so thick to me. Does it soften in your mouth and liquify fast?
yes, but I don't find waiting for it to liquefy in my mouth very pleasant. You can put your dose in a glass and fill the sink or something with hot water, then set the glass in the hot water and that will melt it
Old 09-27-2007, 04:55 AM   #341
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 24Fan
Stats: from 2004 to 2006 lost 118 lbs. Maintaining
WOE: Atkins, low carb maintaining
Start Date: 2004
[QUOTE=Yellobrix;8007126]. Olive is a powerful antimicrobial, even toward yeast.

Yellow, thank you. Your post was actually the most informative, for me. I use EVOO as a makeup remover and body lotion also

I may try this oil pulling using olive oil, did not know it is an antimicrobial!

Thanks also to OP for the updates. keep us informed
24Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:20 AM   #342
Senior LCF Member

oops

Last edited by freyamoon; 09-27-2007 at 07:52 AM..
Old 09-27-2007, 07:31 AM   #343
Senior LCF Member

sorry

Last edited by freyamoon; 09-27-2007 at 07:52 AM..
Old 10-04-2007, 03:39 PM   #344
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Toey2
Stats: I'm on a scale strike.
WOE: With a really big fork
Start Date: Every day is a new dawning...
just posting so i can find this later :-)
Toey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:08 PM   #345
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freyamoon View Post
I read at the above link in the Q&A section that Cod Liver Oil and Fish Oil (both do the same except Cod Liver has a rich source of Vitamin-D if you need it) is actually the best oil for pulling. It has anti-viral as well as anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial properties.
The fish oil is thought to have the strongest ability to pull the heavy metal out of your system as well.
Ok, I seem to be the only one obsessed with pulling right now (lol), but theres also another reason the type of oil you pull with is important.

Certain properties of your type of oil are sublingually absorbed into your bloodstream and give you an unrefined (i.e. digestion) dosage of it's best atributes.
For instance, if you pull with fish oil then a portion of the omega whatevers is sent directly to your system sublingually.

So, that also explains why pulling can make your skin softer; some notice softer heels, smoother lips, nicer skin all over.

I've read some other BBs dealing soley with pulling and some people are choosing their oils based soley off the properities they could get a clean, unrefined dosage of. Make sense?

That's why fish oil is one of the best - cause you get an pure doage of what it's used for.

Let me know if anyone finds otherwise.

[COLOR="YellowGreen"]“Where your treasure is, there your heart will be” (Matthew 6:21)[/COLOR]
Old 10-06-2007, 09:19 PM   #346
Senior LCF Member

Some more info to add to my last post......

Grams of omega 3 and omega 6 per one cup of oil. We can probably assume the oils analyzed were not organic or expeller-pressed, so the actual amounts may be higher when using the better oils.
From NutritionData.com NutritionData's Nutrition Facts Calorie Counter

olive oil
O-3 -- 1644 grams
O-6 -- 21,088

flaxseed oil
O-3 -- 116,202
O-6 -- 27,689

coconut oil
O-3 -- ~
O-6 -- 3,923

untoasted sesame oil
O-3 -- 654
O-6 -- 90,042

sunflower oil
O-3 -- 419
O-6 -- 7,860

avocado oil
O-3 -- 2,086
O-6 -- 27,318

walnut oil
O-3 -- 22,674
O-6 -- 115,310

No data for pumpkin seed oil, but this data given for dry pumpkin seeds (and squash seeds)
O-3 -- 250
O-6 -- 28,571

HTH FWIW
Old 10-08-2007, 06:24 AM   #347
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shonmarie
WOE: EFGT/PP
Start Date: 1/23/10
hi - just marking to find you later
Shonmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:14 PM   #348
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My teeth are significantly whiter!! Woo hoo!!
Old 10-08-2007, 06:20 PM   #349
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kar_kar
WOE: F-5/LC/whole foods
Start Date: 7/23/2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
My teeth are significantly whiter!! Woo hoo!!
how long did it take for you to see a difference?
kar_kar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:13 PM   #350
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar_kar View Post
how long did it take for you to see a difference?
15 days doing it twice a day
Old 12-30-2007, 06:42 PM   #351

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Experiment with the Variables of Oil Pulling

I haven't been keeping up with the thread, and now it has 12 pages! wow~! So I apologize if this has been mentioned before.

I was wondering about how starting oil pulling could create lifestyle changes and new habits and how those habit may contribute to the benefits received. I've noticed on an oil pulling FAQ basic instructions were Prolonged swishing with oil at least 10 minutes, followed by rinsing and finished with 2-3 glasses of water.

I wondered if the following variables would provide benefits:

-no swishing of water or oil, but drinking 2-3 cups of water first thing in the morning
- prolonged swishing with just water without drinking 2-3 cups of water
-prolonged swishing with just water and drinking 2-3 cups of water in the morning
-prolonged swishing of oil without drinking 2-3 cups of water

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, I'm just interested in how all the physical aspects of actions of oil pulling come together.

I think that swishing for 10min, has got to be good for the gums, in general. and drinking 2-3 glasses of water is just closer to the goal of 8 and being hydrated has got to make you feel good. As far as bacteria, there are always bacteria in your mouth so any microscopic examination is going to show some. I just swished plain water for 10 minutes and it came out foamy and slightly gray. (it has been 4 hours since I ate)

I'd done oil pulling for like a week this year and definitely felt less hungry, but I also have poor eating habits, so it didn't help that situation

I wondered if anyone else has experimented with the variables and what they noticed.

I plan to try doing the things I bulleted for maybe a few days to a week each to see if I notice a benefit. Then I can compare when I finally get to using the oil.

Any comments or suggestions?
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:12 PM   #352
Formerlychubchick

Gallery: CurveControl
Stats: 200/172.4/130
WOE: LC JUDD/TOPS
I don't know. I DO know that Dr Perricone strongly recommends at least 8-16 oz of cold water first thing in the morning.
I like the oil pulling because my teeth feel very clean and my gums are much healthier. Since I have seen a good up side, and just don't see a downside I am happy!
CurveControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:21 PM   #353

Wow, Cold water? That actually sounds nice. I guess I'd better put my pitcher in the fridge then.

I don't think there is any downside to oil pulling, I'm just interested in the habits it encourages and how much those habits affects the benefits. Thanks for the cold water tip.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:42 AM   #354

Experiment with the Variables of Oil Pulling-water only

Day 1- Last night I swished plain water for 10 minutes.

Day 2- This morning I swished plain water for 20 minutes. No breakfast before hand. compared to plain water, what I spit out was foamy and greyish. Some bits of food particles were dislodged after 15 minutes, I didn't know they were there.

I didn't bother brushing afterward because my mouth already felt clean after ten minutes with the water. It is almost as if I have already brushed. no fuzzy film or slime on my teeth from sleep.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:56 AM   #355
Formerlychubchick

I would have to use warm water to do that, My teeth are so sensitive to cold!(Not to hot though, That neber bothers me) No way I could do the cold water in the AM.
I do see improvment on that w/ oil pulling, but that may be because the gums are healthier. I dunno, Rationally there wouldnt seem to be a reason for it to help sensitivity to cold.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:58 AM   #356
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: anniemo
WOE: whole organic lc
i'm going to try this tonight, so i'm bookmarking with a post. how long after the spit and rinse do you brush?
anniemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:05 PM   #357
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: freeman525
Stats: (241)201.8/197.5/141
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart 12/30/13
Observation

I've been oil pulling for 4-5 months, 20 minutes first thing in the morning. Before Christmas, I ran out of oil and just didn't swish for 7-8 days. In the meantime, I caught the worst cold Iv'e had in 5-6 years. I think that oil pulling really helps keep my body better able to fight germs.

Happy New Year all!
Janice
freeman525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:09 PM   #358
Formerlychubchick

Annie~ I brush w/ a very small amount of bakingsoda right after I rinse well.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:20 PM   #359
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: anniemo
WOE: whole organic lc
thank you curve control.
anniemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #360

Day 3 of just water swishing

I slept in and forgot to swish till after I ate breakfast. so I swished after, and again this evening before bed. Teeth didn't feel as clean as the first day so I followed with my usual baking soda tooth brushing. I have loose gums between my premolars and molars where food always gets trapped (meat specifically) which either causes pain, or hides from my floss until it dislodges as a putrid lump hours later. The swishing with water seems to help get those particles out without the pain of flossing (which causes those spots to bleed) It seems that around the 10-15 minute mark I start feeling particles in the water. That's good, less morning breath and caries.

Two more days of just water swishing, then I'll nix that and go with just drinking 16 oz of water.

BTW, I read that cold water empties from the stomach faster so you become hydrated much sooner. though it will be hard to manage on winter mornings, I'm sure.